Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

How will you receive mission details

Page: 1 of 1
 starmark2k
08-03-2005, 4:09 PM
I was just wondering if there will be any cinematics in the game like there was in Force commender or will it be like galactic battlegrounds (campaign mode) and have a screen with just the subtitles of what the person is saying before each mission.

If no one knows, how do you think they should give you your mission details before you go into battle.
 Darth Andrew
08-03-2005, 6:01 PM
Well, you are the 'supreme commander', so why would you need a briefing when you yourself give the orders?
 lukeiamyourdad
08-03-2005, 9:12 PM
Yes, this isn't like Force Commander or Galactic Battlegrounds. The campaign will be similar to Rome:Total War's I think. No specific orders (except maybe from the Imperial Senate) or perhaps only small quests.
Other then that, you decide what you want to do.
 BeBop
08-03-2005, 9:59 PM
Yeah I agree with luke. I just see a screen popping up saying that You need to do this, or "we adivse you do this" blah blah blah and what not.
 FroZticles
08-03-2005, 11:25 PM
Orders from the Imperial Senate? Since when do the Imperials listen to the Senate. :P

I think it will be like BFME jumping from planet to planet just killing the map get bonuses and move onto the next one. Some small dialog in there but basically generic missions.
 lukeiamyourdad
08-04-2005, 9:49 AM
Maybe if they piss you off and start to dislike you, you can be outlawed and then do some sort of political putsch, by "removing" the Senate.
 FroZticles
08-04-2005, 10:34 AM
Give the statement the "Imperial Senate has been dissolved" a whole new meaning :)
 OverlordAngelus
08-04-2005, 5:26 PM
I think we can expect to have some missions such as:

"The governor of Naboo requests assistance in dealing with a Rebel Base"

or

"Our base on Naboo have been discovered, they need help before the Empire destroys them."
 FroZticles
08-04-2005, 11:30 PM
Naboo is full of Imperials so I doubt the Rebels would base themselves anywhere near Naboo.

You will get the odd Kill this base at this location but the missions will be generic.
 BeBop
08-05-2005, 1:32 PM
Didn't stop the Rebels from being there in SWG LOL. Nevertheless, they probably won't be there at the start, but you could maybe get a hidden base in there. Anyway, It will probably be generic missions as said. Attack/defend this. Unless you can blockade a planet, then that would be a mission probably as well.
 Jan Gaarni
08-05-2005, 2:48 PM
Didn't stop the Rebels from being there in SWG LOL. Nevertheless, they probably won't be there at the start, but you could maybe get a hidden base in there. Anyway, It will probably be generic missions as said. Attack/defend this. Unless you can blockade a planet, then that would be a mission probably as well.
Well, a hidden base sounds more plausable than a whole city atleast. :D
 OverlordAngelus
08-05-2005, 6:42 PM
I just used Naboo as an example, it was the first planet that came to mind for some reason.
 FroZticles
08-05-2005, 8:27 PM
Lets not bring up the disturbance in the force that SOE has caused. I hope the next SW MMO RPG will be more successful....

Back on topic: Storybased missions are the most popular of them all they would explain what is happening before the Rebel's destroy the DS. We will get very little to no dialog in the missions. Just by looking at the way the game is set up you just know thats not the way it will go. In a huge story driven franchise like Star Wars generic missions could hurt this game. It won't affect me as much but since most of you only play SP I would be worried.
 BeBop
08-06-2005, 1:47 AM
I don't know what in the world your talking about Froz. SP can do fine on generic missions. Just look at the Total War series. All just generic missions at intervals. The key thing? Your allowed to do whatever you want in between those missions.

Story based missions are all fine and good and all but are rarely any better than generic. Usually just generic missions with a bunch of dialog. Few games have ever been able to do it without making it feel less like a strategy game.

And I can't say I ever thought of a strategy game with SW being story driven. I'm hoping against them using a story save for the very beginning in this game.

Now of course, if they don't just give them to you in random intervals, then we have a problem. Then it will end up like BFME.

My Ideal mission system:

Free control over all your forces
Allowed to do whatever you want, conquer, defend, advance, hold back, whatever.
Receive missions at various points in the game and choose which ones to take.
Rinse and repeat.
 lukeiamyourdad
08-06-2005, 2:15 AM
In order to have "story" base mission, the starting planets under your control should be based on the movies. Like Endor would be in the hands of the Imperial while Hoth is under Rebel control.
 FroZticles
08-06-2005, 4:08 AM
Like I said I don't have to worry since I only play SP once and move onto MP.
 BeBop
08-06-2005, 7:55 PM
Still not making any sense to me.
 FroZticles
08-06-2005, 11:02 PM
Your lose then :)
 Armi
08-07-2005, 9:09 AM
I think that for the rebels you would get certain optional missions from Mon Mothma, and mini quests from people asking for help. For the imperials I think Vader could give you missions, which would also be optional, and governers would ask you for assistance with getting rid of some rebels.
 FroZticles
08-07-2005, 9:56 AM
(You have mail from the_emperor6712@hotmail.com)

Luke is at da cantina on corellia homie pump dat fool....
Page: 1 of 1