Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Death Star Trench runs in game?

Page: 1 of 1
 BeBop
08-02-2005, 1:27 PM
The screenshot of the week has been updated on Lucasarts.com. And what do you know, it's an EAW screenshot. One I have never seen before. It appears to be a trench run on the death star though. Here it is:

http://img333.imageshack.us/img333/3103/eawscreen32ey.jpg)

So does this mean that you can attack the Death star episode IV style and actually control the battle? Or is it just a cutscene if you attack the thing?

Thoughts? Comments? Speculation?
 Jan Gaarni
08-02-2005, 1:56 PM
I would presume it's a cutscene, like the way it was in Rebellion.
 DarthMuffin
08-03-2005, 11:43 AM

Judging from the other screenshots we have of the game, that's the only plausible explanation.

Game designers generally like to show screenies of cutscenes; they always look more impressive than those of the actual game.
 starmark2k
08-03-2005, 4:04 PM

I agree, although From what we know you can follow fighters and from other screens they are that close, but it most likly is a cutscene.
 Naja
09-20-2005, 3:06 PM
I wouldn't be so sure. We have a "cutscene mode" we can access in the midst of an actual battle, and I'm sure the Rebels will have their classic trench run tactic to counter Death Stars, so why -wouldn't- you be able to see your valiant X-Wings trying to blow it up?
 GhOsT-Jedi
10-19-2005, 5:16 PM
If you notice the SD being blown up behind the x-wing, it makes me think its the game not a cutscene
 popcorn2008
10-19-2005, 10:45 PM
If you notice the SD being blown up behind the x-wing, it makes me think its the game not a cutscene
I think it is in game, BUT you wont be able to control the actually trench run. I think you will still be able to control the rest of your fleet, but you wont be able to control the trench run itself. I think it is just a type of battle cam that they constructed to give a cool view.
 GhOsT-Jedi
10-19-2005, 11:14 PM
I think it is in game, BUT you wont be able to control the actually trench run. I think you will still be able to control the rest of your fleet, but you wont be able to control the trench run itself. I think it is just a type of battle cam that they constructed to give a cool view.

Thats what I was pointing out, I think its the camura that they added to give it a cinamatic view. *Bad spelling, yes sorry.*
 DarthMaulUK
10-20-2005, 10:01 AM
In actual fact, most of the 'screenshots' we have had, are artist creations. If you look really close - even at the Broadside 'screen' we have, you will see that its all art work and not actual ingame footage. - I could be wrong but from my experience, thats how it looks. (often the company I work for palm off Xbox screenshots/touched up shots as PS2 screens!)

I would agree with Jan, I can't see there being a real trench run, just a cut scene like in Rebellion.

DMUK
 GhOsT-Jedi
10-20-2005, 11:46 PM
Lets not forget this game has a cinimatic view to it. It could just be a SS from a run made, dont forget you can target certain points on a ship, maybe you can send a group of fighters in the same way, because if thats a video than thats sad graphics for this type of game.
 Jan Gaarni
10-21-2005, 2:09 AM
It's not probable, it's certain you can issue commands to your fighters to take out hardpoints. :)

What's less certain is wether that screen is a video sequence, or a cinematic view sequence.
 popcorn2008
10-21-2005, 7:44 PM
I dont think the Death Star will have something equivelent to hard points. In fact I dont even think it will have any kind of fleet interaction, i.e. Rebel ships firing at it. I expect it to be treated as a planet type object.
 Gripmaster
10-22-2005, 11:37 PM
wrong! watch the newest movie. I suspect its not a cutscene. Lucasarts isnt that evil.
 GhOsT-Jedi
10-22-2005, 11:39 PM
wrong! watch the newest movie. I suspect its not a cutscene. Lucasarts isnt that evil.

Wait, what video? got a link?
 Gripmaster
10-22-2005, 11:41 PM
dude its right on our site! http://www.empireatwar.net/fall2005/community/trailers/index.htm) its the 10 minute chat thing

ill give some screenshots too
 Gripmaster
10-22-2005, 11:46 PM
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b72/AKuiper/deathstarfiring.jpg)
my bad. its not actually in battle. here's a screen of the galactic map to make up for it.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b72/AKuiper/galacticmap.jpg)
 popcorn2008
10-23-2005, 11:38 AM
Im not wrong. I was just saying I dont think the death star will have hard points that can be targeted via other ships. I already know the death star can fire on other planets. I was only saying that it cant interact with your fleet. I.E. Fire on capital ships, or capital ships firing directly upon the death star. The only interaction, I think, will probably be a trench run.
 GhOsT-Jedi
10-23-2005, 12:17 PM
O, I thought it was a new movie... I've already seen that one, it has nothing to do with this thread though, it shows nothing about the trench run.
 dorkthehunter
10-23-2005, 12:33 PM
I believe that the exhaust port will be a hardpoint and you will send fighters to specifically attack it and then they will go down the trench run. Not a cinematic though.
 Gripmaster
10-23-2005, 4:24 PM
but...but... i want to own fish sticks w/ my superweapon
Page: 1 of 1