Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

An idea...

Page: 1 of 1
 Darth Windu
08-01-2005, 12:11 AM
Yes, I know I have lots of them, and I know not all of them are good. Anyway, the idea here is one I have been thinking about for a while.

So, here goes - if you manage to capture an enemy unit, say a Star Destroyer (if you are playing as the Rebels), should you have the ability to dismantle it to learn its secrets? Through this, you would gain attack nonuses against (because you know ehere its weak points are) and small defense bonuses (because you know ehere to stay away from...the most).

This doesnt mean that that unit would be useless against you, but you would get a slight advantage.

Thoughts?
 BeBop
08-01-2005, 12:04 PM
Hmmm. It's an interesting concept but what good would it do you? I mean, would you be able to target more critical subsytems or something?

And wouldn't it be a bit easy to do it early in the campaign and then the Rebels have an advantage for almost all the game?
 FroZticles
08-01-2005, 8:02 PM
How would the Rebels capture a star destroyer? Garrison a smuggler inside and 2 mins later you have learnt about it?

I don't like it, adds no gameplay value.
:rifle1: :blast5:
 fuzzyfreaker
08-01-2005, 8:16 PM
Hmm... it would be an interesting thing but i think it would take away from the actual battle experience as most people wouldn't fiht but just try to take over the SD or something else. I'd say nay, unless they could intergrate it to only happen if you have a highly upgraded vessel or person
 Darth Windu
08-01-2005, 11:28 PM
FroZ - where did you get that idea? By capture, I mean capture - ie, you take complete control of the vessel.

BeBop - perhaps, but it would be only a small advantage and I don't think capturing an ISD would be all that easy.

fuzzy - not really, because after you've captured one, you always have that advantage, so capturing more only adds them as units, but don't give you any bonuses.
 FroZticles
08-01-2005, 11:46 PM
No matter which way you look at it it isn't a good idea. Destroying a SD is hard enough without trying to take one down. This would be more of a Imperial ability but its still no good.
 lukeiamyourdad
08-02-2005, 12:08 AM
I'm with Froz.

Taking over a Star Destroyer, in which resides a whole Stormtrooper division is no easy task.
It does sound more like an Imperial ability but how often will you catch a lone starship?
It distracts you away from the main battle.

Capturing Space stations maybe, but not Star Destroyers.
 FroZticles
08-02-2005, 2:20 AM
The battles will be hectic enough without worrying about your units getting taken over.
 Cheech Marin
08-02-2005, 12:13 PM
I'm with Froz.

Taking over a Star Destroyer, in which resides a whole Stormtrooper division is no easy task.
It does sound more like an Imperial ability but how often will you catch a lone starship?
It distracts you away from the main battle.

Capturing Space stations maybe, but not Star Destroyers.

What about when the Stormtrooper division is currently on the planet trying to take over the rebel base?
 lukeiamyourdad
08-02-2005, 3:45 PM
What about when the Stormtrooper division is currently on the planet trying to take over the rebel base?

I don't think they send the entire division.

Besides, you'd still have the crewman fighting for their lives. That's thousands of men in tight corridors, fighting each other.
 fuzzyfreaker
08-02-2005, 8:43 PM
Well, let's see, the integraton of capturing a base or a vessel. I still say it wouldn't work well unless it's used for an upgraded character. Say that you are a smuggler and you are bonused and leveled up fully, then maybe you can do it, C+C Generals style. Or how bout having it like a superweapon powerup for one side, a hack sorta thing, i dunno. But for new, i'm not sure
 FroZticles
08-03-2005, 12:27 AM
I believe hacking in Star Wars is called slicing :)
 General Nitro
08-07-2005, 1:10 AM
A good idea, but too complicated.
 Armi
08-07-2005, 9:05 AM
Yeah a bit on the complicated side, It would be impractical because the Rebels would not have the man power and the rebels have such a diverse fleet I don't think the Imperials would benefit too much.
 Darth Alec
08-08-2005, 5:48 AM
Capture and command....... to difficult and diverting from the battle. Only a very odd fellow would really send the entire send the entire division down from a lone Star Destroyer. Would have been a good ide if it wasent to complicated and costly.
 Dark Sad Shadow
08-10-2005, 1:42 PM
this remind me a little of the focom, when you had to send the troops inside the buildings... interesting idea MAYBE could be another kind of strategy but who knows. let lucas arts decide...
Page: 1 of 1