Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

What excites you most about EaW?

Page: 1 of 1
 DarthMaulUK
07-26-2005, 4:36 AM
So far, for me, it has to be the space battles. They look amazing, all the action that you see in Return Of The Jedi - battle of Endor can be recreated here.

In Rebellion/Supremacy, the chance to set a trap was another superb feature that I reall hope makes it into this game.

DMUK
 FroZticles
07-26-2005, 8:03 AM
Trick question? :p
 BeBop
07-26-2005, 10:06 AM
Ground Battles. So far they look great (except for a somewhat over powered Darth Vader) seem to have alot of cool ideas being implemented.

The ability to do both almost ties with Ground battles, but space battles look great, but I'm very cautious right now since I never really liked a space RTS game that didn't use a true free 3D movement engine. Though maybe it will work out, I'll have to wait until I'm playing it to tell.
 FroZticles
07-28-2005, 10:04 AM
I don't know the rancors can kill AT-AT's lol
 starmark2k
07-28-2005, 2:09 PM
It has to be the ability to do both, this makes it truly a star wars stratergy as the battles are fought on both fronts.
 Sithmaster_821
07-28-2005, 2:21 PM
As awesome as the space battles look, I am buying this game to blow me up some ATATs.
 FroZticles
07-28-2005, 11:24 PM
Nothing can stand up against the Imperial Might!!
 Darth Alec
07-30-2005, 4:03 PM
Blasting Rebels is fun with Stormtroopers, but with its even more fun with Super Star Destroyers! He he.....
 Tokarev
07-31-2005, 2:31 PM
It's the Ex Command & Conquer people at work in which I have faith in them. :) Both space and ground battles look pretty impressive too.
 Darth Tyrant
08-18-2005, 9:42 PM
So far, for me, it has to be the space battles. They look amazing, all the action that you see in Return Of The Jedi - battle of Endor can be recreated here.

In Rebellion/Supremacy, the chance to set a trap was another superb feature that I reall hope makes it into this game.

DMUK
You cant recreate the battle of endor in space if you dont have the super star destroyer
 FroZticles
08-18-2005, 10:59 PM
Who cares about the Super Star Destroyer.... its not set in Endor timeframe anyways. Its set after RotS and before ANH.
 popcorn2008
08-27-2005, 3:28 PM
Who cares about the Super Star Destroyer.... its not set in Endor timeframe anyways. Its set after RotS and before ANH.

The Super Star Destroyer is Vader's flag ship, it is in the battle of Endor. If I recall Admiral Ackbar in Return of the Jedi says, "We've got to give them more time, concentrate all firepower on that super star destroyer." You see the ship in Episode V, and VI.

Anyway, I think the fact ex-C&C programmers are working on this is the best cause all the C&C games were awesome, excluding renegade I never really liked that one.
 Jan Gaarni
08-27-2005, 5:47 PM
Just to correct a missconception here: It is not set between ANH and RotS, it starts 2 years before ANH. And if the development followed chronologically, the SSD would come out within 3 years after you started the game .... gametime of course. ;)
 general ackbar
08-27-2005, 6:17 PM
for me its the space battles. ever since i saw the space battle in ROTJ i have been captivated with them!
 Jeff
08-28-2005, 12:01 AM
Definately the space battles. To be able to recreate the space fights from the movies is just awesome.
 Panzer517
08-28-2005, 12:05 AM
Hey I just like the the makers of CnC are making another game.

Damn it Westwood should have been #1 but EA screwed them over.
 jokemaster
08-28-2005, 12:19 AM
Space battles, 'cause I've been waitin' for them since me and my friend discussed ways to improve Rebellions. Plus w/ the ships realistically breaking apart...

Followed by the ability to do both, followed by the ex-westwood team.
 Pho3nix
08-31-2005, 4:53 PM
Ex Command & Conquer team is working on it ;)
C&C all the way baby
 StealthWar42
08-31-2005, 8:54 PM
The ability to do both, so I don't need to buy two separate games! And it's total immersion.
 Garbageben
09-02-2005, 12:32 AM
The ability to do both, so I don't need to buy two separate games! And it's total immersion.
I totally agree with you. Although I have been waiting for a Star Wars game with space combat, I mostly wanted the ultimate Star Wars galaxy-wide war experience. My excitement is therefore that you can move troops around and fight on land and fight space battles, with both in real time.
 Lord Pickle
09-06-2005, 2:44 PM
This isn't an option on the poll but, I like the fact that you get persistent battles and the galaxy map. So finally the RTS genre is going places. I hate the old formula, and yes I know C&C came up with the formula and these are the ones doing EaW, of send a truck to collect resources and the spam the tank button so you can rush the guy in 30 sec. Finally there will be some depth to the strategy. It's sad to think of how many "strategy" games out there degenerate into a resource grab followed by a rush tactic.
 Darth Alec
09-06-2005, 4:14 PM
This isn't an option on the poll but, I like the fact that you get persistent battles and the galaxy map. So finally the RTS genre is going places. I hate the old formula, and yes I know C&C came up with the formula and these are the ones doing EaW, of send a truck to collect resources and the spam the tank button so you can rush the guy in 30 sec. Finally there will be some depth to the strategy. It's sad to think of how many "strategy" games out there degenerate into a resource grab followed by a rush tactic.

How many RTS games are there that arent like that?
You can probably count it on your fingers. :)
 popcorn2008
09-06-2005, 6:37 PM
Now that its been a while, I have to say I'm starting to like the fact that resources are not going to be the usual send your ore truck or villager or w/e and it will just come in automatically. At first I was uneasy about the idea but I think that was because im used to it lol. Although one thing im not too sure about it is how fast it will come in and all that. I have to admit the one thing I did like about ore trucks and villagers was you had direct control on how much resources came in. Im sure many of my concerns will be solved when more is revealed about the resource system.
 Jan Gaarni
09-07-2005, 2:45 AM
One thing that needs to be clear here about the resource system: When you are in combat with the opposition, the forces that was on the planet, or around it, will be the forces you will be fighting with. As I understand it there will be no building while combat is ensuing.
 FroZticles
09-07-2005, 5:28 AM
I'm still a little confused so how do you decide when both players are ready? Player 1 comes in with a fast army while player 2 only has a small force but was saving for stronger vessels but is owned because the guy came in stopping production and destroyed all his stuff before his more efficient units could be produced.
 Jan Gaarni
09-07-2005, 8:11 AM
Exactly. :)

I know this might sound like the only way to win is to mass the most forces.

And in a way, this can be true. But you need to station more forces on and if you choose, around the planets you control, in order to propperly safeguard the planets, which will eventually spread your forces thin if you capture planets faster than you are able to reinforce them, your army and your starfleet.
 FroZticles
09-07-2005, 11:30 AM
Too bad for all your guys who hate getting rushed :) Thats if you play online anyways...
 Jan Gaarni
09-07-2005, 3:57 PM
It's probably not as simple to rush thru the game as I make it sound. ;)

I'm sure there are checks that hinder you to expand too fast. Like was said, noone knows how fast the credits will be ticking in for instance. ;)

Also, you have the option to retreat at any time. Sure, that might loose you the planet, but you'll save your very valuable fleet. A star destroyer (for instance) costs alot more than 1 trooper. :D

And without your fleet, you ain't goin' nowhere. ;) :p
 DoctorNerve
09-07-2005, 6:15 PM
More than likely if you retreat from a space battle you lose control of the orbit around the planet but... you can have a monster army on the surface that is ready to wipe anyone who tries to land... in the meantime you can make a better space fleet to take back the planet's orbit later. Sure sounds like someone might not care about space at all and just turtle mass forces on the ground and frustrate opponents from taking the whole system. hehe
 FroZticles
09-07-2005, 9:06 PM
There would have to be something to hold you back like AOE series has tech levels.
 jokemaster
09-07-2005, 9:11 PM
Maybe tech levels, but you can't advance until a certain in-game date.
 Jmaster3265
09-11-2005, 5:05 PM
As i voted in the poll the ability to do both land and space battles is what excites me!
 DarthMaulUK
09-27-2005, 4:11 PM
I was just thinking about this today. I think that this game will bring a whole new generation to the RTS genre and probably alot of people who are not fans of Star Wars/SW RTS games but love Command and Conquer because of the pedigree of Petroglyph.

Either way, its going to be an exciting time for the fans (us) and Petroglyph as this will be their first big release and will we have the Star Wars RTS we all have been waiting for? I think so...

DMUK
 anton_138
09-27-2005, 4:47 PM
well, seeing as how i've been a SW fan since before Atari or cable tv, i had to vote that i just love SW, but what excites me about EaW in particular, what sets it apart from other SW RTSs is definitely the ability to control both ground and space battles. i may have misunderstood a statement in one of the dev's vids (the 10 minute one?), but it sounds like you can even combine the two? the statement was concerning the shield generator on Hoth, and he said you can use your ground forces or your capital ships in orbit to take down the shield generator. does this mean you can, to at least some degree, control both simultaneously? if so, then i'd say THAT is what truly raises EaW above the rest, bringing it closer to being the ideal RTS. in my opinion (and i may be totally alone in this), the only thing that would make the ideal video game (not just RTS) would be if you could "possess" individual units in combat, because if we've learned anything from games like Battlefront or X-Wing Alliance it's that a single human player can turn the tide of battle more sharply than a dozen AI X-Wings or a squad of AI Stormtroopers. of course, i'd imagine system requirements and drive space alone makes a multi-genre game very impractical... not to mention there doesn't seem to be many gamers who equally enjoy FPS, flight-sim, RTS, and RPGs. the complexity alone would probably make such a game as unpopular as Rebellion. i confess i never really played C&C, so i can't say anything about the devs except they must be good to get so much moral support from a group as critical as gamers. EaW looks great, and i am quite certain it will please not only SW fans but RTS fans who could care less about SW... as DMUK stated. it may not be the exact game i've been waiting for, but every giant leap like this that LEC makes brings my ideal game closer to existence.
 jokemaster
09-27-2005, 4:56 PM
^Actually I would love to see the 'possess individual units'. Of course they would be as weak as they would usually be.
 anton_138
09-27-2005, 5:47 PM
true, JokeMaster, possessing a unit would not enhance it's game-given abilities, but playing a trooper in Battlefront doesn't give you any sort of edge over other troopers except you can outhink, and therefor outfight, them. the ability to take what's available and mold it into something more useful is what got the human race this far, and so far AI hasn't reached that ability that i know of, thus a single player controlled unit is worth more than several AI units in most cases, right?
 jokemaster
09-27-2005, 5:54 PM
Yeah, it would also be better because you would know who to shoot at first. Nothing's more annyoing than getting attacked and your units start shooting at the guy that's 5 yards away when there's one about to shoot them in the head.
 anton_138
09-27-2005, 6:04 PM
no kidding! i've actually gotten so frustrated with AI team-members in BF that i shot them myself just to get them out of my way or out of pure spite. awful strategy, i know, but sometimes it just makes me feel better.
 jokemaster
09-27-2005, 6:09 PM
I use them as shields ;)
 Naja
09-28-2005, 12:25 AM
More than likely if you retreat from a space battle you lose control of the orbit around the planet but... you can have a monster army on the surface that is ready to wipe anyone who tries to land... in the meantime you can make a better space fleet to take back the planet's orbit later. Sure sounds like someone might not care about space at all and just turtle mass forces on the ground and frustrate opponents from taking the whole system. hehe

Ahh, but in abandoning your fleet to turtle on the ground, you give up your mobility. If you give up your mobility, then you give up your resource expansion. Eventually, your very mobile opponent who is blockading your fortress worlds will be able to out-build you.

As a short term defensive tactic to hold off the enemy while you build new forces though, it just might work.
 Darth Windu
09-28-2005, 3:03 AM
Hey I was just thinking, does anyone else realise that this thread starts off with
"Sticky Poll - What excites you..."?

:)
 RaV™
09-28-2005, 8:49 PM
If you had an all of the above choice then I would of chose it, but I had to decide with Both
 Slave.
10-02-2005, 9:16 PM
The ability to do both is what I'm really looking forward to. I'm a big RTS fan, and from the games I've previously played, this will be the first that includes both space and ground warfare.
 Darth_Extas
10-05-2005, 9:54 PM
Amazingly so Far it all looks great to me, but I'm still not to sure what to expect, as well a major component in the game is the heros such as a the Moldy Crow(Kyle Katarn) will have a part. Something else that interests me is the fact that there is a seperate hero Star Destroyer that i have no real clue where it came from or the programmers just decided to have one (Not the Executor). What would be interesting is if you can eventually get to the era of the new republic but you can still in fact have imperials spread all around the galaxy.
 Jan Gaarni
10-06-2005, 2:24 AM
You won't need hero ships in the game, much like you won't need hero vehicles. You get hero people which can be placed in said vehicles and ships to augment and boost the fleet and army in different ways.

Just like you can place troops in many ships.

And yes, you can get to the New Republic era and the civil war may still be raging. The game starts a few years BBY, but there is no end game time. End game is to win the galaxy. Wether you use 2 years or 20 is up to you.
 popcorn2008
10-06-2005, 3:03 PM
People need to understand that EaW is for you to control. There really is not set Timeline like the movies. There may not even be a New Republic ever in your timeline. Maybe the Empire wins. (haha what do i mean maybe??? of course they will lol)
 The Zulu
10-09-2005, 10:02 AM
The fact that quite a few ex Westwood employees are involved.
 Naja
10-15-2005, 1:08 PM
Now that I know about the timeline, the fact that it will be moddable to include full trilogy technology and units does still make me want to buy it.
Page: 1 of 1