Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Pure Pazaak: Standalone Multiplayer Pazaak!

Page: 1 of 3
 dufflover
07-24-2005, 10:39 AM
Latest Version: v1.2.4 (29/07/2007)
- My Pure Pazaak Homepage (http://purepazaak.collateraldesign.co.uk/) (with download links and screens)
- Obsidian Board Thread (http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=35894)

New to Pure Pazaak? What is Pure Pazaak?

Pure Pazaak is a fan made Pazaak clone made by me in VB6.0 (yeh I know...yuck). It's a standalone, multiplayer capable Pazaak game designed to as closely as possible mimic the original Pazaak while providing more flexibile game options and ofcourse some basic multiplayer capability.
Main features of the project:
- Play Pazaak without starting or even installing KotOR.
- A configurable/flexible version of Pazaak in general
- Network Play! (Human-Human play, via DirectIP)

Some screenshots for you to preview the game :). More screenshots in the screenshots link above.
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/9789/splash018eq.th.jpg) (http://img80.imageshack.us/my.php?image=splash018eq.jpg) http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/3203/menu8ts.th.jpg) (http://img95.imageshack.us/my.php?image=menu8ts.jpg) http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/3166/network020ps.th.jpg) (http://img111.imageshack.us/my.php?image=network020ps.jpg) http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/9816/game043bz.th.jpg) (http://img90.imageshack.us/my.php?image=game043bz.jpg)
and also has a what I hope is a nice looking manual I created...eventually:
http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/9884/ppmanualrules8qs.th.jpg) (http://img93.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ppmanualrules8qs.jpg)

Just some quick clarifications:
- This is not a mod (in the normal sorta way). It is a fully standalone from KotOR, so no need to start it up or even have it installed.
- All this stuff is copyright LucasArts, Bioware, Obsidian, (blah blah blah). My point is that the graphics and stuff are from the KotOR games themselves, not hand painted or anything like that but the have been some edits like the game backgrounds and stuff.
- Network play is via Direct IP, so it will be hard to find players to have games without some sort of meeting place. Best you can do (and might not be too useful itself) is to join the IRC channel which someone created to act as a game lobby. See the manual for more info.
- Like all the mods this is all an "amateur" project. I'm not a professional programmer or graphic designer or anything like that.

Hope you have fun and enjoy the game. If you have any feedback, suggestions or bugs to report just post in the thread.
 ChAiNz.2da
07-24-2005, 11:11 AM
Hey dufflover!

Glad to see you made it over here ;) hehehe...

Thanks for the heads up on the release! Going to download this puppy (again) and "replace" my free time from solitaire with Pazaak! :D
 Jeff
07-24-2005, 11:14 AM
Great job dufflover! Glad you posted this over here :)

EDIT: I just tried it out in arcade mode, its great! I always wanted a pazaak game outside of kotor. Great job!
 The_Maker
07-24-2005, 11:15 AM
So I take it this is some online sort of game outside of TSL or Kotor where you play a real game of Pazzak? :eyeraise:
 Jeff
07-24-2005, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by The_Maker
So I take it this is some online sort of game outside of TSL or Kotor where you play a real game of Pazzak? :eyeraise:
I just tried it out, and it has arcade, campaign, and network modes.
 Smilodon
07-24-2005, 11:41 AM
Hey cool, a standalone pazaak game. I'll definitely enjoy this, thx man :D
 Mono_Giganto
07-24-2005, 11:52 AM
Heh, I've been waiting for this, nice job. :)
 Darth InSidious
07-24-2005, 3:20 PM
Woo!
 dufflover
07-26-2005, 8:16 AM
OK, I've finished off the rest of the web page. If there's a problem you have not answered on the Help/FAQ page then Message me - I'll be glad to help if I can.
 Darth333
07-26-2005, 8:50 AM
Pretty cool! You did an excellent job with this! :)
 General Kenobi
07-26-2005, 1:27 PM
Just wanted to say first off very kewl "unmod" ;)

I will admit something almost none have ever said I'm betting....What's Pazaak?...lol j/k but in all honesty I've never actually played in either KOTOR or TSL.

I've just downloaded your game however and am wondering if you need to learn how to play in KOTOR I only? or if you can learn in TSL?

The closest I've ever gotten to playing it is when Atton trains you to block your mind :rolleyes: and I'm sure that doesn't count :D

General Kenobi
 dufflover
07-26-2005, 8:52 PM
Originally posted by General Kenobi
I've just downloaded your game however and am wondering if you need to learn how to play in KOTOR I only? or if you can learn in TSL?

The only new things in TSL which you have to learn about would be the new cards. Have you been to the "Rules" page of my site. It has a link which goes to a site describing the basic rules.
Back to original question; learning how to play in KotOR 1 only is good enough.
 General Kenobi
07-26-2005, 9:24 PM
Thanks man :D

I did the deed and installed your game and it's a hoot :D I'm def. gonna learn to play now that I have a kewl game to play with ;)

General Kenobi
 Lorden Darkblade
07-26-2005, 9:43 PM
Nice work man :D
I love to just play Pazaak :D :D :D
 Jeff
07-27-2005, 12:32 AM
I was just playing it, and I noticed something that might not be right. First, the +/-1T card means that if you and your opponent score 20 but you play this then you win the tie, right?

If I am right, then I played a -1T card when I had 21, and then my opponent (the computer) played a +1 to give him 20 as well. So I should have won, shouldn't I have?
 dufflover
07-27-2005, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by DarthMoeller
I was just playing it, and I noticed something that might not be right. First, the +/-1T card means that if you and your opponent score 20 but you play this then you win the tie, right?

If I am right, then I played a -1T card when I had 21, and then my opponent (the computer) played a +1 to give him 20 as well. So I should have won, shouldn't I have?
It was going to be like that but then someone asked about it on the Obsidian boards (why it didn't work for him in the real game) and that's where I found out that it only applies if it's the final card played (by any player).

So you played your Tie Breaker, then the computer played his +1, which means the Tie Breaker doesn't apply - yeh, I know, it's kinda strict but it's supposed to be close as possible. I've tried to confirm this myself but I can never seem to get a case to do it in...
 Jeff
07-27-2005, 9:53 AM
Originally posted by dufflover
It was going to be like that but then someone asked about it on the Obsidian boards (why it didn't work for him in the real game) and that's where I found out that it only applies if it's the final card played (by any player).

So you played your Tie Breaker, then the computer played his +1, which means the Tie Breaker doesn't apply - yeh, I know, it's kinda strict but it's supposed to be close as possible. I've tried to confirm this myself but I can never seem to get a case to do it in...
Ahh. OK, well thanks for clearing that up. I guess its good that somethings not wrong with it then :)
 dufflover
08-06-2005, 12:17 PM
Version 1.0.1 is ready to download.
Here's the Pure Pazaak page URL again:
http://www.k0m3k.htmlz.net/pazaak/)

v1.0.1
======
- AI now knows how to use the Special K2 cards
- Re-added deck card dragging (doesn't work if you drag by the # label)
- Slightly increased the game speed
- Fixed incorrect cards with Sol'aa
- Removed a VB Control dependency (NOT the comctl32.ocx one)
- Remade the Campaign screen, added new opponent(s), existing ones unchanged.
- Dimmed cards are now manually dimmed rather than dimmed pictures
- Portraits now loaded only when needed (loading delay has been "moved")
- You now start with 1/4 of your highscore in Arcade (or 100 credits)
- Main menu now also reports your highscore
- Made sure the program wouldn't crash with too many credits (max is 2,000,000,000)
- AI is more compromising but may cause some unexpected "stupid" behaviour loop-hole.

Just as a little warning; it's 2:00am for me now so there's a chance something stupid has skipped past me and into the program - although it played fine for me.

So anyway, howz the netplay side of it going?
 Darth333
08-06-2005, 6:16 PM
Nice job Dufflover! I edited your thread title to reflect the new version :)
 JediWatchman
08-09-2005, 9:36 PM
Yeah I just downloaded that update and it's not working. When I unzipped it, I doubleclicked the icon and it gives me this error message:

Could not find file 'pzkdata.dat'
 TheOssusKeeper
08-09-2005, 9:46 PM
hehehe :¬: i just thought this was a mod for the game :hit4:

i just downloaded it, but haven't played it yet... :D
 Jeff
08-09-2005, 11:16 PM
Yeah I just downloaded that update and it's not working. When I unzipped it, I doubleclicked the icon and it gives me this error message:

I believe you have to extract all of the contents of the compressed file into a new folder so it can find all of its components.
 Aiden Star
08-09-2005, 11:19 PM
WOW I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I clocked over 200 hours in Kotor 1 by playing so much Pazaak! Now I can keep playing...woooooooot \o/
 dufflover
08-09-2005, 11:26 PM

Sounds like you only downloaded the v1.0.3 Update and not the rest of the files, or you've only extracted the EXE without everything else.
Download and extract v1.0.2, then get the v1.0.3 Update and overwrite the v1.0.2 EXE.
 dufflover
08-10-2005, 6:18 AM
Another update: v1.0.4

The good news is that all the bugs fixed here were there all along and not newly introduced ones.

- Feature: Double-click a portrait to temporarily hide it
- Fix: Clicking the highscore tag in Arcade now correctly wagers the difference
- Fix: Card Screen temporary variables bugs
- Fix: Flip labels in-game now disappear properly when all relevant cards are used
- Fix: Delayed the Bust message so it wouldn't garble the "play deck card" Sound
 witchfinder
08-10-2005, 1:15 PM
Hey I just downloaded this program. Great job Dufflover! I have a question though, how do I progress through the campaign game? I've beaten Deadeye Duncan 7 times, and no new opponents are showing up?
 dufflover
08-11-2005, 1:26 AM
Hey I just downloaded this program. Great job Dufflover! I have a question though, how do I progress through the campaign game? I've beaten Deadeye Duncan 7 times, and no new opponents are showing up?
It's 10 times.
 furio
08-11-2005, 11:37 PM
Hey Duff, like i was saying in our e-mail discussion, i think this version is the good one, no bug found yet. keep up the good work...

Your Biggest Fan
Furio
 Snafu7
08-13-2005, 8:30 PM
I just downloaded it and and updated to 1.4 and I love it. I never understood how to play it in kotor, and now I finally get how to do it. One suggestion for the next update, it would be kinda cool to be able to upload your own avatars for network play, so if you could find a way to put that in it would be pretty cool.
 dufflover
08-14-2005, 8:15 AM
I just downloaded it and and updated to 1.4 and I love it. I never understood how to play it in kotor, and now I finally get how to do it.

Thanks for the comment! Although how can you "get it" thru Pure Pazaak and not in KotOR where they've got the whole tutorial and stuff?

One suggestion for the next update, it would be kinda cool to be able to upload your own avatars for network play, so if you could find a way to put that in it would be pretty cool.
In the Obsidian thread someone asked about this too.
I know it's possible but my network programming knowledge is very low so I don't how (sending files thru the connection) and overall is not a very high priority for the things to do.
 Snafu7
08-14-2005, 1:13 PM
honestly I have no clue how I didn't learn it in kotor, must not have paid very much attention

Edit:I think I may have found a problem, either that or I just didn't figure this out, after you lose all of your money in the campaign , you can't start over, the only way I found out how to start over was to delete your player profile.
 dufflover
08-14-2005, 11:23 PM
after you lose all of your money in the campaign , you can't start over, the only way I found out how to start over was to delete your player profile.
When you fail your campaign and the Campaign button is disabled in the main menu, double-click the blue campaign stats text (the blue bit that says "defeat" or was it "failure") and it should come up with a question box asking you to reset.

After losing the "final" match, did you get a message box saying you reset by double-clicking it?
 Snafu7
08-14-2005, 11:36 PM
my bad, never noticed that the first time, I just failed a campaign quick, and I noticed it, n/m
 dufflover
08-26-2005, 9:40 AM
Always had the idea of using something like IRC as a gamelobby since it's got the whole online user listing, public and private chat.
Well eXtortion is finally giving it a go:
Obsidian Thread Post (http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=35894&st=40&p=434933&#entry434933)

and incase you haven't checked the website or Obsidian thread, the next version is v1.1.0 where I've finally got to use the original sound files from KotOR! (granted they're 22 kHz Mono but still sound alright and u can't beat original). The sounds were in the Sounds.bif file which I never looked in till now which is why I never got to use the original files. Also added some new sounds now that they are original and no interference from other sounds. You may notice the current turn sound has half of the card dealing sound in it - not anymore!
 eXtortion
08-28-2005, 5:23 AM
#purepazaak at GameSurge server
 dufflover
09-10-2005, 10:38 PM
Version v1.1.0 Released

Looks like I didn't have to wait for the mid-semester break to quickly get Pure Pazaak back - probably because I forget some of the changes I wanted to make.

- Feature: Original & more Pazaak sounds from KotOR (old ones weren't original)
- Feature: A minimize button (consider it beta)
- Fix: Updated the website URL shortcut in the Splash screen
- Fix: Data file now holds a bit more info so EXE is slightly smaller
- Fix: Save errors now have a warning displayed
- Fix: Made all For loop variables 32-bit longs (apparently register friendly)
- Fix: Changed some pulse related timings
 dufflover
09-12-2005, 3:15 AM
A bug reported on Obsidian has been fixed and v1.1.1 update is now out.

- Fix: The busted Wager window text box
- Fix: Minimize button now match the titlebar colour (like with K2 screens)
- Fix: Minor adjustments with OO objects
 furio
09-12-2005, 2:18 PM
Hi DUFF,
I just want to say that you shouldn't never uploaded your file through filefront, thats just bull... we have to wait in line & all. There is so many other place with no wait time & upload/download limits, at least think about it please, think about us...

Thanks for your understanding.

Furio
 dufflover
09-13-2005, 7:26 AM
OK, I've done a google and just put the file in a couple of places - obviously there'll be ads of some sort so well, take your pic (on the website).

It all depends on when you go on but I don't mind waiting 30 seconds...
 furio
09-14-2005, 1:05 AM
OK, I've done a google and just put the file in a couple of places - obviously there'll be ads of some sort so well, take your pic (on the website).

It all depends on when you go on but I don't mind waiting 30 seconds...
WoW your Lucky 30 sec, i've never been that Lucky in the past with FileFront...

Anyway, thank you, its appreciated :thumbsup:

If i may add something, it seems that you didn't create a folder with all the sounds files in it in the v1.1.0(yes, i've updated it with v1.1.1) coze, when i clicked on the exe, it says that it can't found "accept.wav" but, after created a folder named sounds & puting all the sounds files in it, everything went well.
 dufflover
10-04-2005, 7:58 AM
There are two common problems that players will almost certainly get during a network game (there are heaps of minor ones too). I'm suprised I never mentioned these earlier considering how often they occur:
1. "Double-turn" bug, where when one player is standing, the other will usually pick up two cards (two turns), even if they only click End Turn once. This then causes more problems with one player getting a different result to the other person and then the whole thing just screws up.
2. "Lost turn" bug, where the End Turn message doesn't reach the opponent and thus the game is stalled with both players waiting for each other.

If you don't play multiplayer then well, it doesn't matter to you (although I still think you should play some MP anyway).
 dufflover
11-09-2005, 9:12 AM
Version 1.1.3 Released

- Feature: The last proposed network wager is now saved
- Feature: Network Arcade - network games in Arcade mode (all cards, no changes to player info)
- Fix: The "double-turn" network bug which occurs after a player stands seems fixed
- Fix: Tried to improve the detection of the "/quit" and "/disconnect" commands

Basically it fixes that Network double-turn bug and adds Arcade mode into Network play.

Here's the link to the website again:
http://purepazaak.k0m3k.net/)

Feel free to continue posting comments or asking for help :) !
 furio
11-11-2005, 11:59 PM
Arcade mode into Network Play? How does it work?

BTW, its great that you still work on this superb game of yours, thanks DUFF :thumbsup:
 dufflover
11-17-2005, 7:26 AM
Arcade mode into Network Play? How does it work?

BTW, its great that you still work on this superb game of yours, thanks DUFF :thumbsup:
Uhhh, well basically rather than play a network game with someone and both be stuck with a crappy K2 starter deck, this lets you play an Arcade style match where you got all the cards (match won't affect your stats though).

Just isn't enough of a supporter/player base to get regular net games for people and most people would play for fun and "screw winning credits" anyway.

btw as Darth333 stickies, feel free to comment on any aspect of the program. :)
 KaraPeters
11-18-2005, 12:26 PM
I get a problem fairly frequently where I am standing with 19 or something like that, and my opponent goes over 20, then lays a card to lower the total, then draws again, gets a lower score than me, and wins anyway. For example, I'm standing on 19, he gets 23. He lays -6. He's at 17. He draws again and gets 1. Now he has 18. He wins.

Update: Nevermind. I just learned about the 9 cards and no bust rule. That explains why he wins sometimes when I have 19 and he has 18.
 dufflover
11-20-2005, 2:15 AM
Update: Nevermind. I just learned about the 9 cards and no bust rule. That explains why he wins sometimes when I have 19 and he has 18.

Deadeye Duncan I take it...

Anyway, thanks for playing.
 dufflover
11-25-2005, 11:34 PM
Version v1.1.4 Released

- Feature: Added the 3rd Bastila portrait from the K1 box art
- Feature: Added ability to display Custom portraits via an override system
- Feature: Added game speed option for those people who think it's *still* too slow :P
- Fix: Fixed top text bar of the K2 Select Cards screen

Since the custom picture thing is probably the most wanted and needs most explaining I'll quickly go through the other things first:
- this new version needs a full redownload again cos the Bastila pic and the K2 Select Cards background fix are stored in the data file.
- the speed setting has no effect in a network match (default: Normal)

Can we insert our own picture? I wanna see how well TK-151 plays pazaak. And I'm pretty certain Darth Vader could win a few games

One thing that would be nice is being able to add your own custom picture for your player. Don’t know how this would work with online play though.

...One suggestion for the next update, it would be kinda cool to be able to upload your own avatars for network play, so if you could find a way to put that in it would be pretty cool.

Well uhh, I don't know if any of you guys are still around but your request has finally being met....to some extent anyway.
Step 1: The Image
The picture holders in the game are 100x154 pixels. VB will resize it to that size automatically but it is very very ugly and will not maintain any scale. Therefore you should resize it to 100x154 manually. If you are a newb at basic image editing I'll be happy to help you create a portrait from an image file.
You should use JPG but BMP and GIF are also allowed.

Step 2: Putting it in the game
Copy the image file to the \Portraits folder in the game folder. If the directory does not exist (because you're upgrading or haven't run the game yet), you can either create one yourself or just quickly start up the game and it will create the folder automatically at the start.
Name this image file to the same name as your player filename, so if you haven't created a player then I recommend doing so first or if you've gone and given it any ol' lazy filename like "asdf.pzk" or "blah.pzk", etc. then you should go rename the file to something decent. unique and reflective of your in-game name.
So for example: if your player file is "duffman.pzk" then the image file should be "duffman.jpg".

Step 3: Verify
Run the game and load the relevant player file. Go to the options screen and if all is well it should show up in the portraits box with a K2 Green Border. Click on the portrait to enter the portrait selection screen. You should see both a normal portrait and the override picture. If this is a new player you should also select your favourite portrait from the stock/internal set as well.

Step 4: Netplay/Distributing
If you play a network match and you don't have your opponents custom portrait, their regular portrait will be displayed instead (which is why you should select one). To let others display your custom one, you need to give it to them so they can put it in their own portraits folder, keeping the filename the same so it matches yours. One tip is to post your custom portrait as an attachment in this thread so you won't need to always be sending people the file. Also, if you change/update your custom pic, you only need to update the one post.

Hope this is enough for people to get them working!
 dufflover
12-21-2005, 5:41 AM
Version v1.1.5 Update released.

- Fix: Muting options will no longer cause a VB program error

I'm also experimenting with a graphical user guide (ie, manual) but I might not bother if it ends up looking stupid or I just get lazy :P
 furio
12-21-2005, 1:17 PM
Version v1.1.5 Update released.

I'm also experimenting with a graphical user guide (ie, manual) but I might not bother if it ends up looking stupid or I just get lazy :P

Good to know that you still upgrade your game, just continue... until its perfect ;)

No, by all means do it, newbies at Pazaak will find this very helpful. Why make it look stupid, just make it look good & Lazy you? Nah impossible :xp:
 dufflover
01-03-2006, 9:55 AM
I've posted a preview (what I've done so far) of the manual in the Obsidian thread (don't know if guests can download it). Provide feedback if possible :)

Edit: finished manual furthur down
Page: 1 of 3