Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

A proposal for a Senate

Page: 1 of 5
 Paragon_Leon
08-02-2001, 12:28 PM
Hello Forummers,

now that the amount of members is very steadily growing, i believe we could create what could be described as a Senate.

What would it do ?

- do weekly post-sessions that go over the topics that were discussed that week; identifying the ones that were rounded off and the ones that went nowhere;

- give a 'Forummer Of The Week' medal to someone (heck, in Star Wars they hand out medals all the time !

- solve gaming disputes once they pop up in zones..

how about it ?
if there's enough support, we might discuss how to do it properly.

it would never ever be intended or work as a replacement for Forum mods though.. maybe it could even have a separate forum ? What do you think, Chris3po, Zero, etc ?
 Havoc Stryphe
08-02-2001, 1:06 PM
An Interesting proposal,

Would we vote on members of the council? Would their be "terms" like 2 months, or 4 months then vote again?

At this point I would back the project, there seems to be nothing disturbing about it yet. However, I'm sure Logistical problems will become more evident if you get to the point of actually "fleshing out" the concept.

If it comes to support, I'm willing to back it up, at this point anyways. ;)
 Darth_Rommel
08-02-2001, 1:15 PM
Nice avatar! ;)
 Havoc Stryphe
08-02-2001, 1:20 PM
Thank You.....you will see more, I promise. I grow weary of the same thing! :D
 JediMasterEd
08-02-2001, 2:56 PM
this senate thing really isn't all that too bad. news about new polls so that the polls won't be left alone. information on SWGB production. it sounds pretty good.:)
 Paragon_Leon
08-02-2001, 4:44 PM
ok then... that's a couple positive. any more ?
 Tie Guy
08-02-2001, 5:12 PM
Neat idea, but what would the real point be, just to talk? And where would we do it, chat?
 Paragon_Leon
08-02-2001, 5:20 PM
No, we'd do it in a weekly or monthly post.

The thing is; they could service as a digest of sorts AND a 'semi-official' voting thread on topics. i know there's a voting feature here, but this would make it more engaging for the community.

and what would be nicer than having a true Senate with a game like GB ?

imagine the debates: "Esteemed delegates, i come before you under the gravest of circumstances. Last night, the Trade Federation civ of Tieguy invaded the peaceful Gungan-civ of Paragon_Leon and immediately attacked his trade-routes. Is this conduct considered legal ?"

or something. it would be more to address certain new gaming-styles and give them official names and stuff.
 Tie Guy
08-02-2001, 8:01 PM
Hmm, i guess id go for that.
 Compa_Mighty
08-02-2001, 8:06 PM
Ok, I'll be Supreme Councellor Compa_Mighty!

Get away Palpatine!!!

*Just joking, really laughs out loud* :p :emperor:
 Master Yoda
08-02-2001, 8:56 PM
You will let me be Supreme Chancellor *waves hand around*:yoda:
 Tie Guy
08-02-2001, 9:57 PM
Hehe :D

I'll settle for a senate seat........and maybe head of a comittee :D
 Wedge
08-02-2001, 9:58 PM
Hey it's a pretty cool idea :) I'm a supporter.
 JediMasterEd
08-02-2001, 10:53 PM
i wouldn't mind being part of the senate. possably a reporter?:D
 Kvan
08-02-2001, 10:59 PM
Can we vote to ban people? *points to Compa* I vote to ban Compa!
Just Kidding Compa :D
Your Senate idea is a good idea. :)
 JediMasterEd
08-02-2001, 11:01 PM
i highly agree!:D
 Paragon_Leon
08-03-2001, 4:58 AM
ok, i'll give it some thought, flesh it out and post a more definitive proposal after a week, after i talked it over with the moderators.
 Paragon_Leon
08-03-2001, 8:41 AM
pardon me for posting twice in a row, but i want to keep this topic on top so more people can give their feedback on this idea.
 Tie Guy
08-03-2001, 11:58 AM
Yes, make sure you talk about it to the mods, it wouldn't work if you didn't. W need there full cooperation. :D
 JediMasterEd
08-04-2001, 1:02 PM
why don't we have Paragon_Leon as the Supreme Chancellor. he was the one who though of it!
 Darth_Rommel
08-04-2001, 4:21 PM
I like the idea! What can my rank be? :D
 darthfergie
08-04-2001, 5:36 PM
Great idea on the Senate. Although other sites that have similar things would call it a Jedi Council.
 Darth_Rommel
08-04-2001, 5:45 PM
Yeah, that what we would call it, and the first 100 member (or maybe all people with 1000 posts) would have seats. They could change there rank too "Jedi Council Member" (cause people with 1000 can have speacial ranks I think) :D Wow! Am I good or what?
 Paragon_Leon
08-04-2001, 5:46 PM
I call it a Senate because of the different civilizations in the game. If a certain player is known to play with a certain civ and you discuss those sides and the games weekly/monthly/whatever, you'd get something like a Senate.
But a Jedi council has something going for it too i guess.. After all, the Jedi discussed things too. They just didn't have political authority.
 Darth_Rommel
08-04-2001, 5:49 PM
The Council could decide on matches between top players. They could decide on all aspects of the match: what map type, mode (deathmatch etc.), civs, etc.
 Paragon_Leon
08-04-2001, 6:00 PM
ok, so how about a Senate AND a Jedi council ? The council could serve as sort of a sounding board on these forums while the Senate could discuss gameplay and how certain matches were handled. Or the other way around.
 darthfergie
08-04-2001, 6:05 PM
How would members be decided? Hmmm... How about the council has the most experiance and the Senate is elected.
 Paragon_Leon
08-04-2001, 6:06 PM
Maybe. I'm thinking more about letting the mods decide who should be in them, since it's going to be a oderating kind of thing, but then only in discussion.
That way, there's certainly no conflict between such a setup and the moderators.
 darthfergie
08-04-2001, 6:08 PM
Well what would they do? Just privatly message you and say "we would like you to be in the Council"
 Paragon_Leon
08-04-2001, 6:11 PM
They watch these boards and can identify the ones who'd be most suited, i guess. I also think it's best if a neutral party decides on who gets in. Otherwise, you're bound to have arguments. And they could post private messages, yeah, but the Council / Senate memberlist would be up for all to see. Maybe everyone could have a seat in the Senate, but only a few would have official positions like Chancellors.
Clans that would be here could be represented by a 'Senator' in the Senate. So you'd have Senators representing groups of gamers.
I like the idea more by the minute, by the way..
 Tie Guy
08-04-2001, 6:21 PM
How bout everyone can be in the senate, but only the ten or so people with the most "experience" (posts) get a seat on the council?

After all, everyone should have a say in the senate, that's what it's all about. However, some people could have special seats if they are elected or something. I'd vote for you as Supreme Chancellor Leo.
 Paragon_Leon
08-04-2001, 6:22 PM
I'm not sure if i'd want to, but thanks...:D

The # of posts would give the people that logged into the boards early on the ost advantage. that would be a bit unfair. That's why i'm thinking of the mods selecting those people.
 darthfergie
08-04-2001, 6:36 PM
That is a great one. The one with chancellors and Supreme Chancelors.
:obi: :yoda:
Of course I am wandering. If we did Council, would we have a Dark side too or just Light side
:emperor: :vadar: :maul:
 Paragon_Leon
08-04-2001, 6:38 PM
I'd imagine there would only be a Light side, but if cheats or false tactics would be discussed, you could call it 'messing around with the dark side'.. :D

I intend to wait until the boards have hit the 200 member-mark before i take the idea to the mods.
 darthfergie
08-04-2001, 6:43 PM
I would imagine they will see this by the end of the day though. Unless they don't keep up with their own site.
 Tie Guy
08-04-2001, 8:39 PM
Originally posted by Paragon_Leon
I'm not sure if i'd want to, but thanks...:D

The # of posts would give the people that logged into the boards early on the ost advantage. that would be a bit unfair. That's why i'm thinking of the mods selecting those people.

That's the point, the new people that come here aren't as "experienced" as the ones that were here first, and they don't deserve a spot on the council. It is only for the oldest and wisest jedi. Once someone establishes a position in the boards, he has a chance to be on the council. Of course, everyone could go to the senate meetings.
 darthfergie
08-04-2001, 8:49 PM
Ah yes, but I only joined today. Yet I am wise in the way of the force and have read every published novel on Star Wars.(besides Rebirth which hasn't found it's way to my bookstore yet) I had heard about this site only yesterday so I came here this afternoon and have been estatic about it ever since.
 Tie Guy
08-04-2001, 9:09 PM
WEll, your on your way to becoming an upstanding member of the forum. Keep posting good posts, and stay here for a while, and you could be on th council, but no one should be on the council the day they joined, it's not like that with the jedi. One should earn a position like this, not just get stuck in on the first day.
 darthfergie
08-04-2001, 9:10 PM
Very True.
 Darth_Rommel
08-04-2001, 10:50 PM
Yes, train you must padawan fergie :p

TIE who is in the Council anyways? Perhaps we should start a thread or a poll for nominations. While we are waiting for GB maybe we could organize game of AoK, that would be quite fun!

Let the voting begin! :D
 Kvan
08-04-2001, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Darth_Rommel
Yes, train you must padawan fergie :p

TIE who is in the Council anyways? Perhaps we should start a thread or a poll for nominations. While we are waiting for GB maybe we could organize game of AoK, that would be quite fun!
Yeah great idea! I nominate Rommel :D ......and we all know Leon will be in the Senate! ;)
 darthfergie
08-04-2001, 10:56 PM
Good Idea. Paragon_Leon wants us to wait a little while though I don't see exactly why.
 Darth_Rommel
08-04-2001, 10:57 PM
Well, thank you! I in turn nominate Kvan and my master, TIE guy :D
 Darth_Rommel
08-04-2001, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by darthfergie
Good Idea. Paragon_Leon wants us to wait a little while though I don't see exactly why.

He just wants to be there too supervise voting I'm sure. My opinion is that the Council, and Senate are formed as soon is posssible, so we know how it all this works when the game is released :c3po:
 Tie Guy
08-04-2001, 11:13 PM
No, we're still in the "Alpha" stage with this project. Plus, you guys have to talk to Leon, this is his brainchild, not mine. I think we need some approval from the mods, and my get them to set up a senate forum, and maybe a passworded council forum. If they don that for us, and we get orgnized, we can start with teh meeting, and the nominations and junk.
 Kvan
08-04-2001, 11:15 PM
Besides us all knowing Leon is gonna be in it. We all know TIE Guy HAS to be there! His posts alone should get him in! He does have good ideas.....when he posts them.
 darthfergie
08-04-2001, 11:27 PM
He does have good ideas.....when he posts them.

Which is all the Time 100+ posts a day... very tiering, but might be worth a shot since this is the best forum around!
 Tie Guy
08-04-2001, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by darthfergie
tiering

Is that a typo or a pun :D

Anyways, i post here alot coz i got nothin to do during the summer, even though i did play golf today.
 darthfergie
08-04-2001, 11:54 PM
PUN thanks for noticing... well it could have been a pun...
 Sherack Nhar
08-05-2001, 11:48 AM
Gee guys, I leave for one day and there a big, three pages topic that's in the wrong forum!

FORCE MOVE TOPIC!!

Anyway, it's a pretty good idea... I have some suggestions, which many of these have already been discussed, I just want to be sure that Paragorn_Leon approves them (it's his idea after all).

- The members must be chosen by a mod.
- Any forummer may suggest an addition to the council, but he must not suggest himself.
- That one is very important: the selection of members will NOT be based on post count. Not at all. There has been spamming problems here, so the spammers have an undeniable advantage over those who only post intelligent things, but not as often. It should be based on the number or quality of the intelligent discussion topics that the forummer posted.
- Any member who do not follow the board's rules (which I will put online in the near future for everyone to see) will not be elligible(sp?) for the Senate.
Page: 1 of 5