Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Child killed in police shootout.

Page: 1 of 1
 El Sitherino
07-14-2005, 10:56 PM
Click (http://www.allheadlinenews.com/cgi-bin/news/newsbrief.plx?id=2242185592&fa=1)

"We did everything we could to hold our fire. We showed a tremendous amount of restraint, but unfortunately the suspect's actions dictates this ...It's a true tragedy."

It's a tragedy because they're full of ****.

17 month old child infront of a grown ass man. It's called bring in one of your many, many sharpshooters to put one in his head.

I for one wait the punishment these incompetent men recieve.
 Jo
07-14-2005, 11:03 PM
I saw this last night on the news and was like WTF!?! havent they heard of snipers. I mean you would think they would be smart.

I hope they get punished, but something is just telling me that it won't happen.
 toms
07-15-2005, 8:26 AM
Or even just NOT SHOOTING BACK and waiting for him to get tired out, give up or run out of bullets. sigh.
 Mike Windu
07-15-2005, 1:32 PM
Wow, that sucks... :(
 SkinWalker
07-15-2005, 7:49 PM
This is nobody's fault except the dickhead that took his daughter (and others, right?) hostage and started capping rounds from a 9mm at the police.

Sure, we can second guess it all day long. But you know what? Most of us haven't a bit of training or experience in dealing with situations even close to this (I actually do, but this is beside the point), and our assessments are inherently unqualified because of this and because we only have the media take on what really happened.

If you think the officers involved aren't having a tough time of this, your crazy. If you think you could have done differently and better, stop sitting behind your computer screen sucking down mountain dews and playing Halo and sign up for duty. Or join your local Explorers.

I'm behind the LAPD on this one. They get crap day-in/day-out from dicks with guns of all sorts and react just the way you expect anyone to act in a battlefield. They are in a battlefield until someone figures out how to get the steady stream of handguns and assault rifles out of the hands of street gangs and thugs.

A toddler got killed. Its sad. Its tragic. I have a toddler of my own.

But the ******* that took that toddler hostage is the badguy and the one that killed her.
 El Sitherino
07-15-2005, 11:54 PM
I'm not saying that, I'm saying I fail how they couldn't kill the guy without killing the 17 month old. Unless the guy was 4'< there has to have been a way to get him without hitting the toddler. It's LAPD, they have the best police force in the world, they have access to top shooters. I fail to see how they couldn't call in a sniper to wait for a moment to pick the guy off without hitting the kid.
 Tyrion
07-16-2005, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
I'm not saying that, I'm saying I fail how they couldn't kill the guy without killing the 17 month old. Unless the guy was 4'< there has to have been a way to get him without hitting the toddler. It's LAPD, they have the best police force in the world, they have access to top shooters. I fail to see how they couldn't call in a sniper to wait for a moment to pick the guy off without hitting the kid.

The article said the criminal held the child as he was shooting. Essentially, he had body armor as a child would surely cover his entire torso.
 Darth Andrew
07-17-2005, 4:17 PM
SkinWalker said what I would have said, but better. :)
 SkinWalker
07-17-2005, 4:24 PM
Hey, who knows? They may have been negligent; they may have done everything right and had they done things differently the outcome could have been worse.

My point is that we cannot pass judgement on a situation that we haven't the full story of. Without question, what the media has retold is lacking in many, many details. Labeling the LAPD as negligent or implying that there was an overreaction does good for no one and serves to sow seeds of distrust and hatred that may well be misplaced.
 toms
07-18-2005, 10:08 AM
Since when do we wait for full information before passing judgement? :D

The ONLY justification I can see for firing on a guy holding a child would be if the guy was firing on other civilians.

And since the stand off seems to have been going on for a while then you would think they would have removed civilians from the area.

If you are a police officer and a guy holding a child fires on you then you should take cover, or run away, or anything except fire back.
 rccar328
07-19-2005, 2:29 PM
I agree with Skin on this one (yes, miracles really do happen!). We could second-guess till we're blue in the face, but unless we were actually there to see how it all went down, it's just speculation.

Just like the Cincinatti man who was killed (I think last year) when the police tried to subdue him - the press and the NAACP cried 'police brutality' for almost two weeks, but when the coroner's report came out showing that the guy was high as a kite and died from the drugs and not the beating, they had nothing to say.
Page: 1 of 1