Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Getting lightsaber models using MDlops help

Page: 1 of 1
 Jeff
04-20-2005, 5:06 PM
I am wanted to do a new lightsaber model using 3Dsmax (gmax doesnt work for me; see this thread (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=147847) if you know how to solve my problem). I'm sure there is a tutorial on how to use MDLops to get a new model into 3dsmax, but could someone point me in the right direction to a tutorial, or tell me if anything I have said here is not correct? :confused: Thanks in advance.
 MudRat_02
04-20-2005, 5:20 PM
You dont need MDL ops for that, if you already have made the model in Gmax, just go into <file> then down to export. You can import this file into 3dsMax. Otherwise, you will need that neverwinter nights 3dsMax plugin so you can import a saber model, first read and write the file then import the ASCII model through the plugin. Hope that helps!!
 Jeff
04-20-2005, 5:27 PM
Originally posted by MudRat_02
You dont need MDL ops for that, if you already have made the model in Gmax, just go into <file> then down to export. You can import this file into 3dsMax. Otherwise, you will need that neverwinter nights 3dsMax plugin so you can import a saber model, first read and write the file then import the ASCII model through the plugin. Hope that helps!!

I haven't made the model yet. Don't I have to export the original model first before I can edit it? Sounds like I am doing something wrong, some clarification would help.
 ChAiNz.2da
04-20-2005, 5:29 PM
Using KotOR Tool, extract a saber .mdl & corresponding .mdx file to a folder (preferably the one MDLOps is in)

From MDLOps readme file
-------------------
--<< GUI usage >>--
-------------------
Import/export usage:
1) In a command prompt: perl mdlops.pl OR double click mdlops.exe

2) click 'select file'

3) browse to directory that has your .MDL file.
Select the .MDL and click 'open'

4) To quickly convert the model click 'Read and write model'
NOTE: The script will automatically detect the model type.

5) If you started with a binary file (ex. model.mdl) then the
resulting ascii model will be model-ascii.mdl

6) If you started with an ascii file (ex. model.mdl) then the
resulting binary model will be model-bin.mdl

7) The 'view data' button will let you view the raw data for
a model loaded from binary source. This does not work
with models loaded from ascii source.

You can now import the ascii converted model into GMAX or 3dsMAX. Remember, you must use the nwmax plug-in's module to import / export in order for TSL/Kotor to recognize it properly.

cchargin included a great tutorial on how to use the replacer function as well for your finished 'exported' model from MAX...

--------------------

Also, if you install MDLOps in the KotOR Tool directory, you can just double-click a .mdl file in the tree list, and KT will use MDLOps to convert to ascii for you (though you'll still need to extract an .mdx file)... :)
 MudRat_02
04-20-2005, 5:32 PM
There is also a few tutorials involving that stuff that come with MDLops, I'd advise checking them out too, thats where i got started with modding :) ...ah the good old days when i didnt realise it was wrong getting models from other games :eek:
 Jeff
04-20-2005, 5:43 PM
Originally posted by ChAiNz.2da
You can now import the ascii converted model into GMAX or 3dsMAX. Remember, you must use the nwmax plug-in's module to import / export in order for TSL/Kotor to recognize it properly.

When i go to file-->import, it says "No appropriate import module found" and then "Improper file format." Do you know what I am doing wrong?
 ChAiNz.2da
04-20-2005, 5:50 PM
Originally posted by DarthMoeller
When i go to file-->import, it says "No appropriate import module found" and then "Improper file format." Do you know what I am doing wrong?
Don't use MAX's File menu... you've got to import from the NWmax module (the toolbar that opens up when you open MAX).. from there.. under the "MDL loading" bar, you can select your model to import...

If you don't have the NWmax plug-in, you can get it here:

http://nwmax.dladventures.com/)
 Jeff
04-20-2005, 5:52 PM
Originally posted by ChAiNz.2da
Don't use MAX's File menu... you've got to import from the NWmax module (the toolbar that opens up when you open MAX).. from there.. under the "MDL loading" bar, you can select your model to import...

If you don't have the NWmax plug-in, you can get it here:

http://nwmax.dladventures.com/)

Thanks a bunch Chainz. :D
 stoffe
04-20-2005, 5:59 PM
Originally posted by DarthMoeller

Use the import function on the NWMax GUI palette. Don't know if it looks differently in 3dmax than gmax, but this is what you are looking for (http://img46.echo.cx/my.php?image=nmaxpalette1he.jpg).

1) Unfold the MLD Loading category in the NWMax GUI.

2) Press Browse at (1) and pick your ASCII file.

3) Select "Import Geom only" at (2).

4) Click the Import button at (3).

EDIT: Nevermind, typing too slow :)
 ChAiNz.2da
04-20-2005, 6:03 PM
Originally posted by stoffe -mkb-
... but you've got the visual reference that I was looking for :D :thumbsup:
 Jeff
04-20-2005, 6:06 PM
Originally posted by stoffe -mkb-

Yeah thanks for the pic, that should help a lot. I decided to just take all my programs like gmax and nwmax off my computer since I kept getting that error for gmax, and i re-downloaded gmax so i will probably use that instead. Now it will open:confused: Fine with me! Thanks for the help :D
Page: 1 of 1