Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

[ART] Non-Anime Kotor fanart!

Page: 1 of 2
 Kyla Rand
03-23-2005, 4:19 AM
MIGHT CONTAIN SPOILERS LATER ON! I'll announce it in the thread title!

Well, I decided to post here, as I saw the thread entitled kotor comics in this part of the forum... here are a few samples of my kotor art.
This is my exile. I know, the lightsaber came out weirdly!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/Marand/exilee.jpg)

Here is Atton:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/Marand/Atton3.jpg)

And here are Carth and Revan, arguing once more...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/Marand/carth-revan.jpg)
 Prime
03-23-2005, 10:03 AM
Very nice!
 T7nowhere
03-23-2005, 10:52 AM
cool.
 Darth333
03-23-2005, 11:53 AM
I like them a lot, I think they reflect the personalities of the npcs pretty well!

Bring some more! :thumbsup:
 ChAiNz.2da
03-23-2005, 12:21 PM
wow! your freehand is amazing...

They're all great, but I've always loved pencil sketches... really shows off an artist's talent... and you've got plenty! :thumbsup:

more please... :D
 lukeiamyourdad
03-23-2005, 12:50 PM
Absolutely beautiful!

I absolutely love Carth's face. He looks like the typical man who's annoyed by his wife :lol:
 jblue789
03-23-2005, 6:09 PM
My god! That's amazing! So amazing! :O
 Kyla Rand
03-23-2005, 6:29 PM
Thank you so much for your nice and motivating comments! here are two more drawings. this is the first pic I did for Atton, and I didn't have some good references, so the clothes and the gun are rather crappy!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/Marand/atton2.jpg)

This is how I picture Atton's death in the cut scene ending:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/Marand/Atton-death.jpg)
 Drazin
03-23-2005, 6:32 PM
Excellent work.
Being a sketch artist myself, I really appreciate your emotions. One of the hardest things for me to draw with any conviction is facial emotions and you do it very well.
Nice work.
 Samora
03-23-2005, 7:22 PM
that's ****in great! :thmbup1: :clap2:
 jblue789
03-23-2005, 7:37 PM
That's a nice picture. Though, one would expect Atton to be a bit more mutilated, scorched, beaten, and bloody. And your interpretation of the Exile looks like an older lady than what I think... :P
 StoneDragon
03-23-2005, 7:42 PM
HOLY SH**!! THAT IS NICE!! :)
 RaV™
03-23-2005, 7:43 PM
That Lightsaber looks like it was jacked from some lego jedi, but the rest is nice ^_^
 Darth333
03-23-2005, 7:53 PM
Originally posted by jblue789
That's a nice picture. Though, one would expect Atton to be a bit more mutilated, scorched, beaten, and bloody....
hmmm... i prefer Kyla Rand's pic to the game original cutscene of Atton's death: there is more emotion... here is a screenshot I took of that scene after reactivating some of the cutscenes that were removed: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v144/Darth333/atton1.jpg)

and I definitely prefer this style to anime where all the character look like they are made from the same mold!
 Kyla Rand
03-23-2005, 7:58 PM
Originally posted by Darth333
hmmm... i prefer Kyla Rand's pic to the game original cutscene of Atton's death: there more emotion... here is a screenshot I took of that scene after reactivating some of the cutscenes that were removed: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v144/Darth333/atton1.jpg)

WOW WOW WOW! I did you manage to reactivte it? Do you mind if I use this pic on other forums? I didn't know they actually made the scene! that is awesome... I played on X Box so I don't really know about the advantages of the PC version.
 RaV™
03-23-2005, 8:01 PM
The way he is positioned looks dumb -_-, i'd rather him be on his knees and be all bloodied and crap <_<
 Darth333
03-23-2005, 8:04 PM
Originally posted by Kyla Rand
WOW WOW WOW! I did you manage to reactivte it? Do you mind if I use this pic on other forums? I didn't know they actually made the scene! that is awesome... I played on X Box so I don't really know about the advantages of the PC version.
Sure , np do what you want :) The scene was there: they only thing that was missing was setting a few global variables. However, some things don't really make sense when you look at them more closely (edit: to avoid confusion, I am talking about the cutcenes in the game, not the drawings)... anyways, this is your thread and I don't want to bring it off topic. As I said above, I prefer the interpretation you gave: drawings have much more flexibility than cutscenes that use only a limited range of animations.
 Kyla Rand
03-23-2005, 8:09 PM
Thank you very much Darth333! And your comments were much welcome!:)
 jblue789
03-23-2005, 8:11 PM
I find it somewhat strange that Atton still has his arm and was hardly injured, even though Sion explicitly states: "I will remake you, so that when I look at you, it shall be as if I was looking upon a mirror."
 Kyla Rand
03-23-2005, 8:14 PM
Well, in fact, I drew this pic before knowing what really happened. I imagined the scene with him being force lightning hit by Sion or Kreia... I had no idea he had his arm cut and who did it. I just heard he died sacrifing himself for you... Maybe I'll make a bloodier pic eventually!;)
 RaV™
03-23-2005, 8:17 PM
His arm was suppose to be severed?
 Darth333
03-23-2005, 8:20 PM
PLease don't bring this thread off topic. If you want to discuss the cut material, start a new thread. This thread is for Kyla Rand's work. If I posted the pic above, it was only in response to another post, to show how the drawings reflected more emotions than the real cutscene, not to discuss the cut stuff (I posted those pics at HL a couple of weeks ago anyways).
 RaV™
03-23-2005, 8:21 PM
Yes Ma'am
 ChAiNz.2da
03-24-2005, 4:48 AM
Originally posted by Kyla Rand Thank you so much for your nice and motivating comments! here are two more drawings. this is the first pic I did for Atton, and I didn't have some good references, so the clothes and the gun are rather crappy!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/Marand/atton2.jpg)

This is how I picture Atton's death in the cut scene ending:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/Marand/Atton-death.jpg)
Hey Kyla, fabulous pics BTW... I'm glad you heard our plea for more ;)

I don't mean to uncover the "mysteries" of the artist, but I was curious on the tools you've used. The coloring technique mainly.

The style is very similiar to most professional designers (model, clothing, etc.). I was wondering if you freehand the coloring with pastel or crayon (and scan the images into a computer), or if you used a program such as Illustrator (which for those that aren't familiar with, is just as hard to do... no fancy "instant color" button hehehe).

The coloring looks as if it's done by hand with the stroke lines... but if it's done by a program... you've just shown yet another amazing talent by simulating the 'hand coloring' :eek:
And by all means, if you'd rather not reveal your secrets, that's perfectly fine... was just curious. :)

and as Darth333 has stated, you've really captured more emotion in one frame than most cg graphic artists can do in 30 :thumbsup:
 montnoir
03-24-2005, 5:33 AM
Hello Kyla. Fabulous work, of course. The style reminds me of Joe Madureira or as he called it "american manga", as Joe has gone into hiding for some obscure reason and doesn't draw anymore, I can hardly wait for more from Kyla.

As for the cut cutscene thing, I believe that it isn't finished, as it is not in the game... so had it been put in the game there would probably have been some missing arms, bruises and stuff.

(Joe Mad! drew the Onslaught story for Uncanny X-Men and later his creator owned comic Battle Chasers at Cliffhanger Comics and if anyone knows what he is up to nowadays, please drop me a line)
 Kyla Rand
03-24-2005, 7:02 AM
Well, you guys are just too nice! I'm glad to see that people here actually comment the pics, because on some other places, well, it's goes like "cool pics" or "nice stuff". If I'm posting stuff, it's mostly to get constructive feedback that will motivate me to make more pics!

@Chainz.2da: in fact, I only use photoshop to resize my pics. My main tools are pencil (B, 2B graphite mechanical pencils), very fine black ink markers (like rotring or pentel markers) and I color them with copic markers (japanese color alcohol markers, pretty expensive but very very long lasting. I have mine for almost five years now! and they have a huge range of colors, 270 in total!)
I'm too lazy to use photoshop, and I really like the feeling of colouring with traditionnal media. I'm also fond of watercolor, which is the medium I use for the comic book I'm working on.
If you are interested in my work, I have a deviant art page. There are samples of what I do for my comic book. There are lots of crappy old stuff there too! and loads of fanart!

http://kyla79.deviantart.com)

@Montnoir: I'll be checking that artist right away! thanks for your comments!

here are two more drawings:

Here are my versions of female Revan (on top) and female Exile(bottom, if you hadn't guessed, haha boy am I funny)I wanted to show through the facial structure how they are different (I picture revan as a cold, dark sider and the Exile as a good but lost soul)http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/Marand/Exile-revan.jpg)

And here is a pic showing the exile not knowing which one she should choose: the brave and courageous Carth, the creepy scoundrel, or Darth Fluffy (a mean kitten owned by a "forum friend" on the unofficial Kotor 2 forum, Exile, also known as Welchtect on deviantart).
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/Marand/Which-one.jpg)
 ChAiNz.2da
03-24-2005, 7:50 AM
Originally posted by Kyla Rand @Chainz.2da: in fact, I only use photoshop to resize my pics. My main tools are

--snip--

If you are interested in my work, I have a deviant art page. There are samples of what I do for my comic book. There are lots of crappy old stuff there too! and loads of fanart!
Well I do hope you keep treating us to more of your work :D

I'm doubly impressed and now an even bigger fan at the fact that you hand color your artwork (my preferred method). I'm surprised to see you use a mechanical pencil (I hear alot of ppl complain the point is too hard), but you've seemed to throw that theory in the "can"... heheh ;)
One last 'pick of your brain'.. what's your preferred medium? Canvas, sketchpad, rice / trace paper (youch) or heck... notebook paper :eek: hehehe...

I went to your site and looked over your other artwork...wow. I am happy to say it now resides in my bookmarks :)
 Kyla Rand
03-24-2005, 8:05 AM
thank you, chainz.2da! In fact, my favourite paper to draw on is... printing paper... Yup, the one you stick in your printer, the plain, white paper... In fact, it absorbs the markers very well (even if it does go through the paper, so you have to make sure to protect the table you are working on with something thicker, like cardboard or so.) and it's perfectly sooth. Otherwise, I use Montval 300gr watercolor paper to do all my painting stuff. the only problem is that the surface isn't plain, so it's difficult to get clear and smooth lines. that's why I practice the spontaneity of my lines as much as possible!
 Kyla Rand
03-24-2005, 11:25 AM
Just a little pic of revan with a slight gothic look... I love goth stuff, especially drawing it!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/Marand/Darth-revan.jpg)
 lukeiamyourdad
03-24-2005, 11:28 AM
She looks like a schoolgirl...hmmm...

The lightsaber looks a bit odd. When you look at the hand and the saber, it seems like the saber suddenly curves. A bit like Dooku's saber.
 Bob Lion54
03-24-2005, 1:21 PM
These are fantastic and look professional. As to the emotion it "brought a tear to me eye"(quote from Scotty, ST:Generations)

One of the things about cut scenes in games, they very rarely capture the emotion. Your art brings life to stoic polygons.

My only problems are Revan and Exile, the art is great, I just have my prefered PC character engraved upon my mind as each one. I guess its comparable to when someone you've known to have a beard shaves without warning :eek:

But, yea, GREAT WORK!!!!!

One question though. Whats next?!?!?!?!
 Bobo
03-24-2005, 4:19 PM
T3 T3 T3 T3!!!!
HK HK HK HK!!!!

:)
 RaV™
03-24-2005, 4:21 PM
How bout Revan in HIS robes.
 Drazin
03-24-2005, 4:23 PM
Like Chainz Said, I am doubly impressed that you do the colors freehand. If you don't do this professionally, maybe you should start. I know alot of Game makers need concept artists for their 3d renderers to model from. Well, I dont know them personally... but anyways, even "concept Artist" would be beneath your talents.

Great work, Maybe someday I'll have the courage to post something of mine. I highly doubt that though, LOL.

I can color sketches and black and whites almost to picture quality using photoshop, but you put colored pencils or markers in my hand and I simply CANNOT do it. So once again, great work and keep it up!

Ever Envious,
 Bobo
03-24-2005, 4:23 PM
oh quit being a fuddy dud. Revan would be more of a woman really.

(woohoo 300th post)
 RaV™
03-24-2005, 4:30 PM
Well how bout I start a thread and lets see if they think he is a male or female?
 Bobo
03-24-2005, 4:32 PM
well thats kinda stupid. First of all, people will vote what they are lol, if their male, most like so will revan. lol

but im not here to stop you, post away

Nowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

:c3po: :c3po: :c3po:

Lets get on topic. :)

(BTW if you havnt got a hint from above, the topic is: "Non-Anime Kotor Fanart!")
 ChAiNz.2da
03-24-2005, 4:36 PM
@Darth_Krow & Bobo

I'm quite sure the warning has been given before, let's not start trolling this thread too. Drop the male / female topic ok?

Kyla has been generous to share her artwork and talent with the rest of us. She, nor the rest of us, do not need or want to hear it again... :rolleyes:

Well how bout I start a thread and lets see if they think he is a male or female?
Yes do that rather than trying to thrash someone else's thread... again...
 RaV™
03-24-2005, 4:40 PM
Originally posted by ChAiNz.2da
@Darth_Krow & Bobo

I'm quite sure the warning has been given before, let's not start trolling this thread too. Drop the male / female topic ok?

Kyla has been generous to share her artwork and talent with the rest of us. She, nor the rest of us, do not need or want to hear it again... :rolleyes:

Yes do that rather than trying to thrash someone else's thread... again...

Er, thats the main reason why i said why dont i start a thread to see what people think, to stop the arguement, before it got heated.
 tk102
03-24-2005, 5:39 PM
Not a good idea. How about just dropping that topic altogther and getting back on-topic? :)
 jblue789
03-24-2005, 7:04 PM
Krow, I already made a topic somewhat like that (http://lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=146576), if you would like to discuss it, simply make a post there saying something about as to why you believe Revan should always be a guy in EVERYONE's minds... And see if you get any replies. T_T

Also, after looking through you deviantART stuff... WOW. I like the Atton + the "schuttas."
 Master B
03-25-2005, 1:17 PM
Kyla Rand, you are a very talented artist!
 Kyla Rand
03-31-2005, 10:39 AM
Here is a comic I did to illustrate one of my fanfics. This is just the first page. And I also realised that she can't be wearing a jedi robe so soon in the story... Anyway, here it is!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/Marand/comic-kotor.jpg)

and here is a link to a bigger image so you can at least read the texts!

http://www.deviantart.com/view/16710868/)
 ChAiNz.2da
03-31-2005, 11:11 AM
complete awesome-ness (as usual) :D
 lukeiamyourdad
03-31-2005, 11:55 AM
The Exile has unusually large boobs.

What? It's not like it's hard to notice!

Oh and I'm nitpicky. You've written "wining" instead of "whining" in Atton's last bubble.
 Kyla Rand
03-31-2005, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by lukeiamyourdad

Oh and I'm nitpicky. You've written "wining" instead of "whining" in Atton's last bubble.

Well, uh... english is not my mother tongue so I'm doing my best! And I noticed the boobs a bit too late... Anyway, thanks for the crit!
 lukeiamyourdad
03-31-2005, 12:05 PM
Oh it's alright :D

And I'm not complaining about her chest size. I can't :D
 Kyla Rand
04-03-2005, 7:32 PM
 ChAiNz.2da
04-03-2005, 7:42 PM
Originally posted by Kyla Rand
page 2 of my Atton/Exile comic!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/Marand/comic-atton-2.jpg)
youch, you really have a knack for portraying emotion.. I think "I" felt that slap ;) hehe

Curious... will these eventually be colored, or remain black & white as per "news style" strips?
B&W is perfect, but I could only imagine what they'd look like in living color... :D

Just wondering...

as if you didn't have enough work on your palette.. hehe
 Kyla Rand
04-03-2005, 7:58 PM
Yes! it will be eventually be coloured with copic markers, like the rest of most of my kotor fanart. Thanks for always looking around my stuff, chainz!
Page: 1 of 2