Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Planet management

Page: 1 of 1
 Dagobahn Eagle
03-13-2005, 10:54 PM
I'd prefer if it was more of an incremental thing, like in Stars!. That is, instead of building one single mine to get resources, you built several mines, each of which incrementally increased your resources income. Instead of building one factory "and then that's it", you build several, each of which increases production resources gained. Mines and factories are cheap, so you'll end up building hundreds of them. How many mines and factories could be operated would be dependant on your population.

Minerals never ran out, but concentration very slowly decreased, making mineral income slower and slower. Planets had random starting concentrations.

So your capital in middle-game would have many, many more mines and factories than your earliest colonies, and thus be much more productive.

I think it'd work much better than just building a single resource gathering facility and then watch resources pour in.

I also hope there is more than one resource. Three would suffice, more would be nice.

As for troops: I think this, too, should be dependant on population. Troop recruiting is done by turning citizens into troops, plain and simple. Recruit, arm, train, send to war.

I think the incremental thing could work with vehicles, too: The more production facilities you build, the faster things get built.

As for planetary defences like in Empire Strikes Back, I don't really like them as they require no skills to use right - they're just click-and-shoot, like the Particle Cannon in Generals or the Tungaska Meteor in Empires. I guess they will be in, but I'd prefer it if they were not.

What do you think?

Oh, and just for the fun of it, I made some example structures:
Mine - gives you minerals. Vital.
Factory - gives you resources; each decreases production speed. Vital.
Barracks - allows for training of troops. Each decreases production speed.
Workshop - allows for vehicle creation. Each decreases... you get the idea.
Research Centre - allows for research projects. Build more to increase research speed.
 Heavyarms
03-14-2005, 7:58 AM
I was thinking something like capture of planets based on how economic trade went. So, if you have Bespin or Corellia, for instance, you will gain a lot of money by profit because of the large amount of gas present on Bespin (which is a resource) and Corellia because it's a huge trading center. Then, on planets like Tattooine, there isn't as much in the way of resources, but you can get bounty hunters or something like that (don't know what's on tattooine besides Luke and Anakin)
 Dagobahn Eagle
03-14-2005, 8:15 AM
It probably is some stupid arcade thing like that:( .

Why would bounty hunters be in the game? Mercenaries, maybe. Bounty hunters? Nope.
 Heavyarms
03-14-2005, 9:01 AM
don't think it is aracde-ish, the world revolves around trade. And then governments collect money based on levies. The imperials have crushing ones and therefore get more than the rebels, so the rebels have to work more carefully at conserving resources.
 lukeiamyourdad
03-14-2005, 9:01 AM
Originally posted by Dagobahn Eagle
Why would bounty hunters be in the game? Mercenaries, maybe. Bounty hunters? Nope.

Maybe you could hire them to capture certain individuals on a planet without having to bomb it into oblivion.
 Dagobahn Eagle
03-14-2005, 10:36 AM
I hope it's not too pitched. If resource income is dependant on planets owned alone, that's pitched gameplay - if you start winning, you keep winning, and nothing can stop you. Like in Force Commander.

I want to manage planets so that I have a slight chance to turn the tables on a player who's gaining ground.

Not here. Income is handled simply by owning planets. Bigger planets, ones with more natural resources, ones that are industrialized—each planet brings something unique to the table (as mentioned earlier) and a steady income. Besides the combat, this is what excites Tosti the most: "I'm more of a tactician. I want to make those hard decisions on the battlefield, not sweat about idle laborers."
Damn.
 FroZticles
03-15-2005, 8:01 PM
Yep I told you this is how it would work. Now just prey you have to take down neutral bases and an army before you can control multiple planets. Also another thing is to keep the pressure on your opponent so it is hard to get more planets. Otherwise you have Tie fighters and X-wings flying to neutral planets wiping out the defenses with ease and they have another planet.

There will be bonuses on planets like on Naboo +20% troop production because it has a large population and recruiting is better there.
 Dagobahn Eagle
03-15-2005, 8:04 PM
Yep I told you this is how it would work. Now just prey you have to take down neutral bases and an army before you can control multiple planets.
It will, according to the same review. They also said they hadn't determined what those armies would be, though.

But if I have to fight Ewoks I'll go mad...:mad: :p
 lukeiamyourdad
03-15-2005, 8:11 PM
I sure hope there is a diplomatic way to take over a planet.
 FroZticles
03-15-2005, 8:23 PM
Yea it just doesn't seem right for a Rebel to wipe out a Jawa colony to just capture a planet.
 Darth Alec
03-17-2005, 2:50 PM
Originally posted by FroZticles
Yea it just doesn't seem right for a Rebel to wipe out a Jawa colony to just capture a planet.

Or Ewoks for that matter.
Page: 1 of 1