Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Resource Collecting in E@W!?!!

Page: 1 of 1
 FroZticles
03-10-2005, 3:12 AM
I have a feeling I will be very let down about the resource and economy system in E@W since they have already stated it will not be a big part of the game as other previous RTS. I am hoping it is not like BFME where you build a building and you just get resource trickles.

I would like a sort of a lighter ecomony than AOE2 not as bad where the game is 80% economy and 20% fighting. I think more balanced like 50/50 or maybe 40/60 so it relies on more military victories and not economic ones.

Anyways I am curious on hearing some economy ideas for the next RTS.
 SirPantsAlot
03-10-2005, 5:05 AM
How's about FC's command points system? (you get command points by capturing bunkers and killing the the enemies units)
 FroZticles
03-10-2005, 7:08 AM
Thats sounds ok and on planets on like Kashyyk you could capture Wookiee villages and make the slaves collect resources from the surrounding trees. Maybe also an option to just kill all the Wookiees and destroy the village and loot everything for a fast profit or more of a long term resource supply and just kill off the guards and use the rest as slaves to collect resources from the planet. Of course Rebels would have neither option and would just befriend the tribe and the Wookiees would give them a small contribution trickle or just one large sum of money to get a quick headstart.

Would be nice if each planet had a different way of collecting resources just to make the game more diverse. Like on Naboo you would collect from high tree areas and fish from the many lakes around Naboo. Threaten the local merchants for credits (imperials) or find merchants who are sympathetic to the rebels to fund your war effort (rebel).

Would the resources be like BFME all go into one resource or would there be like SWGB. Food, carbon, nova ,ore you could even remove some of those and add food,metal, credits or whatever.

Just some things to think about....
 Dagobahn Eagle
03-10-2005, 1:06 PM
OK, here's the deal:

Management and battles are handled separately, using different systems. There can perfectly well be a huge and complex management/building/resource gathering system (not that there has to be:p) even though it's not part of the battle system. Ever played X-Com I or II, Stars!, or a Total War game?

You most likely won't have to build anything or gather anything during a battle as you'll be invading with a set force and use that force. This (hopefully) won't be Force Commander or Middle Earth, where you invade with a whole army but still have a base. You position your forces strategically, attack, and win if you destroy or rout all enemy forces. If you win, you gain control of the planet. That's how simple it is.

I think resource gathering will work the same way on every planet, and as for the battle engine: It's combat only.
 lonepadawan
03-10-2005, 4:55 PM
I hope it IS like B4ME. It's great to be freed from the tedium of gathering and able to concentrate on fighting. If we have to mine rock on hoth, or cut down trees on endor.. I may just go insane..
 DarthMaulUK
03-10-2005, 5:34 PM
Rome Total war raises funds with taxes. etc. I do think the way to go, is to have one overall resource maybe, because with Galactic Battlegrounds, you found yrself sorting out a farm, whilst a battle was raging.

BFME style is ok, unlike the rest of the game... but I think this new RTS will and should have something totally new and refreshing.

DMUK
 Dagobahn Eagle
03-10-2005, 7:15 PM
I hope it IS like B4ME. It's great to be freed from the tedium of gathering and able to concentrate on fighting. If we have to mine rock on hoth, or cut down trees on endor.. I may just go insane
And I hope it'll be like Rome Total War, where units count and not buildings.

Middle Earth: You fight and constantly re-build your town due to occassional Balrogs and Armies of the Dead wiping it out without you being able to stop them. You lose when your base is torn down.

Total War: No bases. You fight only, and you win when your army is taken down/routed.

Which has the most "tedium of management", and which is the most concentrated on fighting, hmm?;)

Money in such a large game seems kind of far-fetched to me (but OK, Star Wars was a capitalistic, money-hungry universe). Other things that money should play a role, too. In my opinion, there should be at least three different types of resources, and a type of building that modified how fast you got them (mines, for example).

Then the more people you had on your planet, the more mines and factories could be run. Just like in Stars!. Hence, big planets (in terms of population, not size) produced more (more manned factories) and had more resources (more mines and people to man them) than small planets.
 Juggernaut1985
03-10-2005, 9:18 PM
Its going to be C&C Resource style. Get used to it now.

These people made C&C.
 FroZticles
03-10-2005, 10:35 PM
Just because some of them were from the C&C series doesn't mean it will be anything like it. Also I like the taxes idea but Rebels cannot get tax. Yea the whole farm thing was very annoying after a while AOM fixed this by making them have infinite food.

But I have a feeling you will just get trickled resources for the amount of planets in your control and that would be a disappointed.

This RTS will breath some fresh air into the RTS genre or suck out all the hope of there ever being a SW RTS that has blow people away. Cannot be in between either its one of the best RTS of all time or one of the worst.
 Dagobahn Eagle
03-11-2005, 8:45 AM
This RTS will breath some fresh air into the RTS genre or suck out all the hope of there ever being a SW RTS that has blow people away. Cannot be in between either its one of the best RTS of all time or one of the worst.
Exactly.

Its going to be C&C Resource style. Get used to it now.

These people made C&C.
I suppose you think we'll be able to play as the USA as well? :rolleyes:[American space fighters approaching Death Star] "YAY, we found a Weapon of Mass Destruction!" "Cut the chatter." :D

This is not even the same genre as C&C. In C&C, you had base-building and fighting in one. In EaW, you have them apart.
 SirPantsAlot
03-11-2005, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Dagobahn Eagle

I suppose you think we'll be able to play as the USA as well? :rolleyes:[American space fighters approaching Death Star] "YAY, we found a Weapon of Mass Destruction!" "Cut the chatter." :D If the USA was in Star Wars it would be the empire.
 DK_Viceroy
03-11-2005, 7:24 PM
more like the Toydarians.
 Doc Valentine
03-17-2005, 8:14 PM
I take it there will be no unit cap?
 lukeiamyourdad
03-17-2005, 11:07 PM
Perhaps not a static cap but more like a support cap. If you have x number of ressources, you are capable of supporting x number of units.
 Sithmaster_821
03-19-2005, 8:30 AM
Seeing how different this game is compared to C&C, I'd say it won't be a C&C/Ao_/_Craft resource collection style. If I had to bet, considering the similarities, as far as we know, to the Total War series and dissimilarities with the other games mentioned here, I predict it will use a variation on the Total War collection scheme.
Page: 1 of 1