Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Half-game or full game?

Page: 1 of 1
 Heavyarms
03-08-2005, 11:36 AM
What do you think?

I think it is a full game, two awesome civs with a heck of a lot of firepower to wield and a heck of a lot of depth. Can't wait.
 SirPantsAlot
03-08-2005, 11:45 AM
I think you shouldn't encourage Windu.
 lonepadawan
03-08-2005, 11:53 AM
Oh my god X-wing only has OT! 1/2 a game!
Oh my god Jedi Knight only has OT era designs! 1/2 a game!
Oh my god rogue squadron only has OT! 1/2 a game!

etc..
 Heavyarms
03-08-2005, 12:08 PM
I wasn't sure if this was a safe topic to post, but I would like to keep any names from being mentioned, and instead just debating the point at hand. A-OK with everyone?
 Prime
03-08-2005, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by lonepadawan
Oh my god X-wing only has OT! 1/2 a game!
Oh my god Jedi Knight only has OT era designs! 1/2 a game!
Oh my god rogue squadron only has OT! 1/2 a game!

etc.. KOTOR no OT or PT! Zero game!
 lonepadawan
03-08-2005, 1:22 PM
Great Buddah on a bicycle! He's right... horror of horrors... we've been playing a non-existant game ALL this time..
 Dagobahn Eagle
03-08-2005, 1:54 PM
Oh my God, I just realized! Saving Private Ryan is just a half movie! Where are the World War I scenes?!:eek:
And the Patriot... [Gasps] Only one of the two major wars on American soil!:D

Full game. And based on the three movies most people agree were the best. Some people say they prefer (spelling?) Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones for some reason, but most people swear by the A New Hope-to-Return of the Jedi trilogy. Hence...:cool:

Half a game? Hardly. Even if you base a game off of only one of the movies, it can still be a fun game. Heck, TIE Fighter had a story line that was written by the people who made it, and I regard it as the best Star Wars game ever.

Great Buddah on a bicycle!
The joy of random exclamations :D .

I think it is a full game, two awesome civs with a heck of a lot of firepower to wield and a heck of a lot of depth. Can't wait
Exactly. It has only two civs, but they're neat civs. Dominions II has over a thousand units and 17 civilizations, and is still neat, but as for Star Wars, I'd rather have two civs (Empire and Rebel) only than to have 17 civs (Empire and Rebel and then nonsense civs like the Ewoks, the Gungans, and the Jawas used to "fill the space").

This thread will get closed...
 Falmarin
03-08-2005, 4:25 PM
I personally don't see how the number of civilizations or time period which this game takes place would correlate with game quality or depth. So far I have not seen sufficient arguments to convince me that they would.
 Dagobahn Eagle
03-08-2005, 4:37 PM
Read: You haven't played Dominions II:D .

Seriously, though, you're right, tonnes of good games have only 2 civilizations. And lots of games that put in a ton of civs (like Age of Empires II) just end up making them nearly identical, with no differences but a single unique unit and some bonuses and penalties (not to say AoE II sucked, of course, it's awesome!). Dominions II, on the other hand, has totally unique civs (and 1000+ units), and I'd consider it of far less quality with only 2 civs, as each one is so unique with its own units and attributes.

I think EaW is going to be neat, though.
 Falmarin
03-08-2005, 5:01 PM
Ah, I've never played Domion II, it sound like the game play would be geared towards the numerous civilizations. If the gameplay was incongruent with the numerous civilizations, then it would have likely turned out to be a bad game.

EaW on the other hand should be specifically tailored for 2 civilizations. Quality is determined by the actual gameplay and how it relates/interacts with the design choices made in the game.

Hmmm... maybe I'll try and find Dominion II, sounds like fun :D
 Dagobahn Eagle
03-08-2005, 5:15 PM
You said all that a lot better than I ever could. Yup, EaW is tailored for two civs.

Psst. Dominions II: www.illwinter.com). And yes, it's fun. Has an extensive demo, but a learning curve:)
Page: 1 of 1