Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

SSD's name pronunciation........

Page: 1 of 1
 Jaren Dereth
04-22-2000, 6:23 AM
I'm a pretty die-hard Star Wars fan, and could answer just about any piece of obscure SW trivia you could throw at me. I recently got to the first mission in XWA where the SSD Executor makes an appearance. Up until this point, I had always thought it was pronounced "Execute-er", so named because it was a tool of execution. But then I hear all the in-game characters pronounce it as "Exec-kya-ter", as if the ship was the executive of the fleet(which I guess it technically is).

So who's right here? I always thought it was a cool ship name when pronounced in reference to execution. But if it's pronounced with a reference to an executive rank, then all I have to say is "What a stupid name for a ship!"

------------------
"If all the world's children were laid end to end, some would be in the ocean........"
- Anon
 Poor Bastard
04-22-2000, 9:37 AM
It's execute-er... It's just their accents that messed ya up there http://www.xwingalliance.com/forums/wink.gif)

------------------
You know one thing that will really make a Jedi mad? Just run up and kick him in the ass...
 K_Kinnison
04-22-2000, 2:30 PM
Funny i allways pronouced it Exec-Kya-Tor, but Executor makes moer since becasue vader commanded it
 DarkObi
04-22-2000, 7:08 PM
i think that "Exec-kya-ter" is correct, it is the name of a rank in which the person polices a comunity, so it could be said that he polices the universe in his ship.

------------------
Even the Light will hide from this Darkness.....
 Nute Gunray
04-22-2000, 10:01 PM
If you look it up in a dictionary, it's the one with the Y sound in it. It's a person charged with doing something, ie the Executor of an estate.

The one I want to know is the Lusankya. I've heard people say LuSANKya and Lusaankya. I think it's Lusaankya, because of the Lubyanka prison, the KGB's facility similar to the task that the Lusankya had.

------------------
The only winning move is not to play
 Jugalator
04-22-2000, 10:40 PM
... or how about Kashyyyk (sorry if I'm going off-topic, but couldn't resist)?

Wookiees seem to love strange spellings, that's for sure. http://www.xwingalliance.com/forums/smile.gif)

------------------
"Always two there are. No more, no less. A master and an apprentice. - Yoda"
Jugalator, xwainfo.cjb.net (http://xwainfo.cjb.net)
 garyah99
04-22-2000, 11:00 PM
The correct pronunciation in to place the emphasis on the second syllable, as in exECutor.

------------------
Every time I think I've found the end of the rainbow...I trip over it.
 Poor Bastard
04-22-2000, 11:58 PM
Why must I be wrong? http://www.xwingalliance.com/forums/cool.gif)

------------------
You know one thing that will really make a Jedi mad? Just run up and kick him in the ass...
 Jaren Dereth
04-23-2000, 12:12 AM
Well damn! Sucks if it is really the lousy pronounciation, but I'll still call it the Execute-er since it sounds cooler.

And as for Kashyyyk, I have no clue since I've heard it pronounced by "official" sources as both "Kashik" and "Kasheek". I guess only Lucas knows how some of these words sound. *l*

------------------
"If all the world's children were laid end to end, some would be in the ocean........"
- Anon
 Gold leader
04-27-2000, 11:59 AM
In a SW: Behind The Magic trivia question, Mon Mothma pronounces it this way: Execute-er.
 Nute Gunray
04-27-2000, 3:33 PM
I wanna know how to pronouce most of the stuff. I'm pretty good at that though; I've only misprounouced one SW name ever.

------------------
Never try anything. Ever.
 Admiral Alistair
04-27-2000, 5:39 PM
Well as for the Executor it is all a matter of the accent the people are using they say the execytar using the Birtish accent!

------------------
OMEGA_ALISTAIR
admiral_alistair@hotmail.com
OMEGA Ensign,Mission Designer
 Nute Gunray
04-27-2000, 5:53 PM
ex*ec*u*tor (noun) (if you notice the first syllable is ex not exe, which makes it impossible to be anything but execytar, regardless of accent.)

[Middle English, from Old French, from Latin exsecutor, from exsequi]

First appeared 13th Century

1 a : one who executes something

b obsolete : EXECUTIONER

2 a : the person (vader) appointed by a testator (emperor) to execute a will
b : LITERARY EXECUTOR

-- ex*ec*u*to*ri*al (adjective)

------------------
 JR2000Z
04-27-2000, 7:04 PM
I have been saying ex-e-CU-ter before I got the game somehow.

------------------
You are now promoted to Rear Admiral...We think you cheated.
 Kyp Durron
04-27-2000, 7:45 PM
2 a : the person (vader) appointed by a testator (emperor) to execute a will

Testator? http://www.xwingalliance.com/forums/smile.gif)
 Keyan Farlander
04-27-2000, 10:10 PM
Wouldn't someone who does executions be an executioner anyway?
 Nute Gunray
04-27-2000, 11:37 PM
Yeah, I don't know what a testator is, but I was watching the Simpsons today and I heard Homer say execytar. It was the episode that Marge sells pretzels, if it matters.

------------------
 Gold leader
04-28-2000, 5:31 AM
[yoda voice]Pretzel matters not[/yoda voice]
 Flying Beastie
04-28-2000, 5:23 PM
Oooh! This came up in my finance class last semester!

A testator is the holder of an estate. We studied in relation to wills, and the testator is the person who writes the will (thus: The Last Will and Testament of s.o.).

Once the testator dies, the Will (and the estate) becomes the responsability of the executor, who must see that the will is carried out.

If the Will doesn't name an executor, a lawyer (not the next of kin) is appointed.

BTW, on the final exam, I did identify the Executor as:

(1) The person who carries out the terms of a Will.
(2) Darth Vader's personal Flagship.

(I don't think the teacher got it.)

------------------
"Abandon head!!!"
Page: 1 of 1