Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

EaW - Preliminary Scan (SWR Comparation)

Page: 1 of 1
 Master_Cain
02-20-2005, 3:03 AM
EDIT - Removed to complly with official PR management plans.
 SirPantsAlot
02-20-2005, 3:21 AM
Most of these are guesses, while you present them as facts.
 Master_Cain
02-20-2005, 4:26 AM
Originally posted by SirPantsAlot
Most of these are guesses, while you present them as facts.

Well most of them come from reading all the EaW Magazine articles and online official previews , also a part of them come from my SW friends and logical deductions. I have also moded the Rebellion game to maximum and I know that game concept very well.

Remouved - Edit
 Darth Alec
02-20-2005, 9:46 AM
I don't seem to find this info on the net so if if you post som quotes then i'll belive you (though it does sound reasonable).
 Master_Cain
02-21-2005, 12:57 AM
Ok as soon I have the time I will make the full document. Still I am puzzled how come many of the fans can't read behind the official previews words.

I had to wirtte an article so I've studied them in detail....every one of them....so I'm pretty sure about what I'm sayng.
 Juggernaut1985
02-21-2005, 7:52 AM
Where did you get the idea that the ships will be on a 2D plane? This isn't SWR, its EaW and very clearly the ships are NOT on a 2D battleplane.
 Heavyarms
02-21-2005, 9:03 AM
what he means to say is that each ship is rendered in 3D and the camere looks fully movable, but they only travel along 2D planes, meaning they don't go up or down. Starfighters, however, do move up and down.
 Jan Gaarni
02-21-2005, 9:21 AM
Originally posted by Juggernaut1985
Where did you get the idea that the ships will be on a 2D plane? This isn't SWR, its EaW and very clearly the ships are NOT on a 2D battleplane.

Actually, SWR (which I presume is Rebellion) has 3D (albite not very good looking :p ) models and moved in a 3D (albeit not very big :D ) space.

EaW will have much improved 3D models, but will only move in a 2D space.
 Juggernaut1985
02-21-2005, 12:19 PM
What I'm saying is that he's wrong saying that the capital ships can't go up and down. They obviously can.
 Heavyarms
02-21-2005, 12:25 PM
What I'm saying is that he's wrong saying that the capital ships can't go up and down. They obviously can.

They appear 2D, but can only move in the X and Y plane and not the Z. Starfighters shift when attacking capital ships, just cruising along, and
 Master_Cain
02-21-2005, 11:43 PM

Even in Rebellion they can move up and down but to avoid each other (Same in EaW).....you basicaly can't order a ship to go up.....way up....like in Homeworld. Thats why I meant.

Anyway I will make a Preliminary Scan 2 with quotes and such....I see ALOT of people around who don't actually read the fully official previews.
 Cpt. Bannon
02-26-2005, 12:40 PM
you must not have played SWR that much then. You could order a cpital ship to go to the upper corner of the map if you wanted to. you just had to switch navigation modes and click the proper navigation point (displayed as triangles)
 Master_Cain
02-26-2005, 10:07 PM
Yes i remember the collored triangles....but I never used them ...and the Ai is also not useing them.

Loll I actualy moded Rebellion. :)

As for EaW ... Remouved Edit
 Master_Cain
02-26-2005, 10:38 PM
And here are some important official previews quotes :

Quotes

Resources

Resource gathering is present in the game's design, in the traditional sense, and to be honest, it doesn't seem to me that Petroglyph has fully hammered how it's going to work in the long run. I was told that the amount of resources at your disposal is tied directly to how many planets are in your possession.

Multiplayer

The multiplayer elements are just as exciting: the campaign mode can be played competitively by two players, and there will be a host of skirmish maps available, for competitors preferring a more conventional RTS experience.

Planet assoults

....a savvy enemy will target your transports first to reduce the likelihood of your troops making it to the ground. You can take advantage of the interaction between ground and space to blockade enemy planets, trapping enemy forces on the surface. Since spaceships can't be produced on the ground, the blockaded player will have to move fleets from other systems in to break the blockade.

Characters & Planets

.... We do know that there will be hero units in the game, but the team wouldn't confirm whether or not you can take Darth Vader or the Millennium Falcon into battle.

As a result, you may also find neutral planets that you can recruit to your cause. For that matter, you'll even be able to recruit powerful hero characters for your armies, including legendary Jedi, such as the fearsome Sith lord Darth Vader.

Space Battles

....(along with bigger targets, like capital ships and space stations). These major targets will be outfitted with hard points, which are specific areas along the chassis that have different upgrades slotted into them, like engines, shield generators, and weapons. Because these large vessels are either immobile or slow-moving at best, space battles will resemble naval battles with ships maneuvering to fire broadsides at each other. You may find yourself trying to destroy all weapons on one side of a large ship so that it can't fire on you.

Number ofThe various weapons, shields, and engines can each be targeted separately. If you want to take out the large ships quickly, you'll need to attack their shield generators right away. The AI makes some of these calls on their own, leaving you free to focus on other matters inhabitet planets at the start

Picture a galactic map populated by 20 or 30 planets (the exact number is yet to be finalized).

Other Battle aspects

....you'll be able to send whatever troops you have on the ground up into space, and you can bring your space pilots down to the surface to help out there. You'll even be able to affect space battles from the ground (and vice versa) by capturing a surface-built ion cannon to fire salvos into space, or you can call in fighter-bombers from orbit to make bombing runs on enemy territories.

Game Mechanics

...Though the new engine was written from scratch, it was written by Petroglyph staffers who previously created the W3D engine, which powered many of EA's 3D strategy games, like Earth & Beyond, Command & Conquer: Generals, and, most recently, The Lord of the Rings, The Battle for Middle-earth. (The soundtrack will even include selections from both classic John Williams movie scores and former Westwood composer-turned-Petroglyph staffer Frank Klepacki, who also provided scoring for Emperor: Battle for Dune, among others.)

...etc....etc

Quotes Sources are official based on perviews by - Petroglyph lead programmer Michael Legg and LucasArts producer Brent Tosti.
 Dagobahn Eagle
03-08-2005, 5:24 PM
Wow, thanks, Cain, maybe you should re-post that as an information thread thingie?

I'd prefer if you could move freely, on a 2D plane, in management mode, like in Stars!. Then you could tell your ships to go to planets, "deep space" (ie., not a planet), or to another fleet not orbiting a planet by right-clicking where you wanted the ship to go.

I think it would have been a better idea, honestly.

The stations system seems just like that in Stars!, though: You can't invade a planet before the station is blown up.

But anyway, thank you for the information.
 Master_Cain
03-09-2005, 1:33 AM
Well thanks - I will edit some of my old posts since a part of the information is not to be released until a special date. I did a communication error by fully interpreting some old previews - that is why I didn't make that new topic "P Scan 2"... If the official PR strategy is like this I will comply with it.

Still I will make a complete preliminary scan and send it to them for aproval. All that I can say is look at the official EaW wallpaper :) what you see you get - and much more of course.

Enghlish is not my first language but I hope I helped. EaW will be one of the best strategy games ever released.
Page: 1 of 1