Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Can't Load Dantooine

Page: 1 of 1
 vjm757
02-19-2005, 7:08 PM
When leaving the Ebon Hawk, right after selecting my party, the game flashes black for a second, and then loads the main menu. I can see my mouse cursor, and I can move the cursor, but I can't click on any of the main menu buttons. The only way for me to exit is to use ctrl-alt-del.

For more info on my situation:

I have found all Jedi Masters and am trying to leave for Dantooine again. Only going to Dantooine this second time around gives me the problem. The first time I was here, everything worked fine. Also, I've flown around to other planets and they still work, so I assume something is supposed to happen when I load Dantooine, and that this something is forcing the crash.

Any help would be great. I can't play otherwise.
 stingerhs
02-19-2005, 7:51 PM
have you tried going back to another save-game??
 vjm757
02-19-2005, 8:03 PM
Yes, I've gone back to several different saved games and work my way up to the same point. Still, it crashes.

Thanks though.
 stingerhs
02-19-2005, 8:13 PM
this is a bit extreme, but i think that one of the scripting or module files may be corrupted on your hard disk (the orginal module is different from the one your trying to load).

first, backup any save-games that you still want. (they're located in *\swkotor2\saves\ )

second, re-install the game. DO NOT UNINSTALL IT FIRST. this should repair anything that didn't install correctly in the first place.

this should fix the problem entirely. if it doesn't, you could be facing a much larger problem. :eek:
 vjm757
02-19-2005, 9:22 PM
It didn't work.

What sort of bigger problems might I be facing?

I sent an email to tech support, but I doubt I'll receive much help from their end.
 vjm757
02-21-2005, 1:28 AM
Still waiting for tech support to respond. In that time I did something interesting to shed some light on my problem.

The first time through I played in this order:

The first time through, I visited the planets in this order:
Dantooine, Korriban, Nar Shaddaa, Onderon. I played through it again, but made sure Dantooine was last... so that I would never have to leave the planet again. This time it worked.

Any idea why that would work?
 mcdaniel
02-22-2005, 3:00 AM
If you have used any editing tools, you still have to play the game as you dont have done anything changes..
I had a reload problem, because I take some shortcuts..
And I havent with my all members of my crew, then the game stopped..
So question, have you with you all crew members??

The Force is strong in this one..
McDaniel
 stingerhs
02-22-2005, 4:19 AM
there could be a global variable that you haven't activated yet. for some reason. two things:

1. where have you been so far in the game?

2. have you been using mods or KSE?
 vjm757
02-22-2005, 12:17 PM
I only have made a few graphical changes through the override file, and I've used KSE to change the head from one guy to another.

Concerning my gamplay, I have been to all the planets at least once... Kreia has said that she has much to tell me but will not answer anymore questions until we stand in the ruins of the jedi enclave on dantooine. So I go to Dantooine again, but whenever I try to exit the ship and choose my party (I've tried every configuratoin imaginable, even Kreia and the PC, and even just the PC) and it goes straight to the menu without even attempting to load the level.

Again, thanks for all the help you guys have been. I still haven't heard back from LucasArts. They must be overloaded from the weekend.

Best,
 Tyler_Durden
02-22-2005, 6:57 PM
I actually have this problem myself and I haven't modified any parts of the game at all, weird......
 Baltazar325
02-23-2005, 9:58 PM
Im having this same problem. Its the second time I've come to Dantooine, this time however it's when I've been to the other planets. All I get is the black screen and I have to ctrl-alt-del to get out of it.

I would love to be able to play past this.
 vjm757
02-23-2005, 10:20 PM
What type of Graphics card do you all have?

I have an Nvidia GeForce 4. LucasArts Support finally responded and said I needed to:

Hello,

Please visit

http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp)

to obtain and install the 6693 driver for your video device. Please be sure to properly remove/uninstall previous drivers before installing the latest driver on the machine.

Please note that LucasArts Entertainment Company, LLC does not recommend making any changes to your system without first contacting your computer manufacturer about the configuration of your computer.

Eric / LucasArts Entertainment Company LLC

I went to the site though, and didn't find anything similar to 6693. Maybe if we all have the same graphics card we can all help each other out.

Best,
 Tyler_Durden
02-23-2005, 10:32 PM
I have a geforce FX 5700 and i also have the driver but i still get the black screen. Guess we'll just have to wait for the patch. Hope it comes out soon, i wanna finish this game!!!
 Baltazar325
02-24-2005, 5:16 AM
Sorry, I've got a Radeon 9500 pro. I've got the new drivers but still no go. I'm seriously getting sick of devolpers putting out subpar games filled with bugs. This has been such a trend as of late.
 DarthVandar205
02-24-2005, 1:21 PM
My screen flashes black quickly during the loading screen but it keeps loading. Ive never had a problem loading the Dantooine level when I come back to it later in the game. Ive only had 1 problem with it and that was during my first trip there when I exited the crystal cave. The rest of my glitches usually happened on Peragus, Telos or Narshaddaa and ive only had glitches there where it froze on me once or twice each. Those are more game related glitches though and should fix themselves when the new patch comes out hopefully.
 vjm757
02-24-2005, 2:02 PM
The supposed fix from LucasArts did not work for me either.

As a quick fix -- and this really isn't a fix at all -- you can play through the game, but just make sure Dantooine is the last planet you go to... so in effect, you never have to leave.

There are some continuity errors if you do this, as I think the game intends for you to go to either Dantooine or Nar Shaddaa right after Telos... some dialogue assumes that you have only progressed to a certain point in the game in regards to character development and skills.

KOTOR 1 was a much tighter game in this respect. Oh well, this was a rushed game.

What is truly perplexing though, is how is it that KOTOR1 worked 100% fine on my PC, but KOTOR2, with the same engine and game, only a different story, doesn't? For all intensive purposes, KOTOR2 should not have been a difficult game to make... all the gameplay issues should have been fixed at that point... the focus should have been on story depth and level design.

I am vexed that this game is unstable. It is the SAME game as the first one.
 Baltazar325
02-24-2005, 7:27 PM
I agree. KOTOR1 ran fine. And 99% of this game ran great as well. I just wish I could get some kind of fix for this. I even sent them an email but they havent responded yet.
 vjm757
02-24-2005, 7:36 PM
Let me know what the tell you. Their advice to me was worthless. Hopefully, you'll have better luck.
 Baltazar325
02-24-2005, 7:38 PM
I dont expect them to respond with anything productive. It was mainly a shot in the dark.
 DarthVandar205
02-24-2005, 8:40 PM
I beleive KOTOR2 is flawed because while it is the same engine as KOTOR1 it did not go through the same detailed and thorough process of development that KOTOR1 did and thus the devs did not have time to weed out all of the issues with it like they did with KOTOR1. I beleive that in future updates they will address all or most of the issues and by then im sure the game will run smoothly. The game runs smoothly for me so I guess it just depends on what computer you have and how glitchy your copy of the game is.
 Torvan Raiker
02-26-2005, 3:27 PM
I have the same problem.. I installed latest nVidia drivers and such, but no luck.

I have all my party members, I've been to everywhere I've needed to be (for Kreia says I need to go back to the Enclave now), and such. However, when I attempt to exit the Ebon Hawk, my game goes to the black screen.

(My order of planets were Nar Shadda -> Onderon -> Dantooine -> Korriban)

Has anyone found a solution yet?
 DarthVandar205
02-26-2005, 4:39 PM
I usually play Dantooine as my first or second planet after Telos because I just like going through the sub-level so much and like the fact that it reminds me of KOTOR 1. Anyways ive done it that way and I have the updated Nividia drivers too and I havent had any problems, in fact I didnt have any problems doing this with the old drivers. Maybe you could try that, otherwise its probably just something wrong with your computer and the way it interacts with the game.
 Torvan Raiker
02-27-2005, 5:19 PM
Actually, it has nothing to do with my computer. I sent the save to someone else, and it did the same thing to them even though their character got through it fine.
 Baltazar325
03-05-2005, 10:36 PM
Anyone figure this problem out yet?
 DarthVandar205
03-07-2005, 8:55 PM
Sounds more like a game related issue then. Im not quite sure what to do since I never ran into the problem. I know that Dantooine can crash sometimes because it did my first time around over near the caves but ive never had it happen when I went back at the end. Just try from another savegame or try to do things differently and see what that does.
 Torvan Raiker
03-08-2005, 9:00 PM
Well, I would try to do things differently, but you know what? The 1/3 loading bug has sprung up so now I can't play the game at all. Sucks. And yes, I've tried all the supposed fixes for it, and none of them worked for me.
 Baltazar325
03-08-2005, 9:59 PM
Dude, that's lame. Maybe if they ever come out with a patch it will fix it. I'm thinking of writing LucasArts a little letter.
 soccerking81
03-10-2005, 2:12 AM
I'm having the same problem as well. Now I have to replay from Telos onwards and make Dantooine the last planet to visit. It's really frustrating as I have to replay almost 80% of what I've done!
 mr.piercy
03-30-2005, 7:38 PM
omg i have the same glitch from hell!:mad:

there is obviously no solution until a patch

i loved KOTOR sooooooo much up until this point, and now i hate it. ah well ill reinstall.
 Baltazar325
04-10-2005, 1:58 PM
I gave up and just uninstalled.
 crystal cave
08-22-2010, 4:59 PM
Get off the Ebon Hawk onto Dantooine

You can always cheat yourself out of it.

Add
EnableCheats=1 in the [Game options] of Swkotor2.ini

Then

~

And in the invisible console type

WARP 605DAN
Page: 1 of 1