Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Mav's WIP for TSL

Page: 3 of 5
 RedHawke
03-03-2005, 8:28 PM
:wid:

I have completed work on my end. Maverick and I now must do some testing, if all goes well...
 Mav
03-04-2005, 12:48 AM
My testing is done, I sent some updated files to RedHawke, but we are looking at a release late tommorrow or Saturday, and at the latest by Sunday ;) get your clicky fingers ready ;)
 RedHawke
03-04-2005, 1:31 AM
Sorry Mav, I just had to share the wealth right now...

You can get the Prestiege Class Robe & Saber Pack right here at PCGameMods. :emperor: (http://www.pcgamemods.com/10756/)

I am also posting this in a release thread! :D

Sadly this mod is too big to host at my site....:(
 Mav
03-04-2005, 9:23 PM
Go get your copies everybody ;)
 Mav
03-09-2005, 1:06 AM
Okay, first things first, if you haven't already go grab a copy of the Prestige Item Pack that RedHawke and I made, it's a good one ;), just click the link in my sig.

Now on to business, next up on my list for TSL is, with the new MDLOps that cchargin made, is to transfer over the custom hilt model I made for KotOR 1, and then I'll work on making a few new hilts, it'll probably take a while I'm a busy person ;), I'll try to make a pack out of it though :D, anyway, I'll post some screens when they become avaliable, probably not for a while, but I'm just giving those who car a heads up ;), off to work!!!
 Darkkender
03-09-2005, 3:43 AM
Originally posted by maverick187
Okay, first things first, if you haven't already go grab a copy of the Prestige Item Pack that RedHawke and I made, it's a good one ;), just click the link in my sig.

Now on to business, next up on my list for TSL is, with the new MDLOps that cchargin made, is to transfer over the custom hilt model I made for KotOR 1, and then I'll work on making a few new hilts, it'll probably take a while I'm a busy person ;), I'll try to make a pack out of it though :D, anyway, I'll post some screens when they become avaliable, probably not for a while, but I'm just giving those who car a heads up ;), off to work!!!

Hey Mav Woluld you like to partner with me and Jetstorm. If you can adapt the models over to K2. It would be great to adapt them for use with the new saber colors Jetstorm has put together and I could merge everything into a cohesive beauty of a mod.:p
 Mav
03-09-2005, 4:24 AM
PM me the specifics and we'll see what I can do ;), but as far as porting the model over, I'll probably be able to do it this weekend, althought I'll be really busy, but I'll probably be able to help out PM me ;)
 Mav
03-13-2005, 1:10 AM
Update
New Hilt Idea - 112kb (http://img87.exs.cx/img87/5322/newcurvedhilt2ez.jpg)

Ahh, my newest hilt creation.. lol as with all my hilts they aren't meant to represent an already existing hilt, it's not a replica, just a new unique hilt, let me know what you guys and gals think. Obviously from the screenie hopefully you can tell it isn't skinned yet ;), but what do you guys think of the model itself, I was able to keep the poly count low, because I plan for the detail to come in the actual skin itself, well just give me your opinions :D.
 Lorden Darkblade
03-13-2005, 1:20 AM
I like it. :)
I hope I knew how to model :(
 Mav
03-13-2005, 1:38 AM
Oh, I forgot to mention that this (http://img151.exs.cx/img151/1259/skintemplate6gb.jpg) model has been ported over from KotOR 1 to TSL, but it will be part of another mod as I understand it, and since I don't want to ruin anything I wont say anymore than that ;)
 T7nowhere
03-13-2005, 1:51 AM
Looks great Mav.
 Mav
03-13-2005, 1:57 AM
@ Uchiha Itachi
Thanks

@ T7nowhere
Thanks, I'm just trying to get better, I have you to thank for showing me how to model ;)
 Drazin
03-13-2005, 4:09 AM
Hey Mav,
What Program are you using to make models?
I have a lightsaber hilt idea I have to get out of my head before I go native.
 Mav
03-13-2005, 4:14 AM
Originally posted by Drazin
Hey Mav,
What Program are you using to make models?
I have a lightsaber hilt idea I have to get out of my head before I go native.

I use gmax, I would probably use 3dsmax if I could, but I'm too cheap... lol
 Drazin
03-13-2005, 4:21 AM
Ok,
I'll try and get it again, last time I downloaded it from the website listed in the Tuts, It tried to install Photoshop6
so I gave up and deleted it.
 Mav
03-15-2005, 3:55 AM
Update

Just a quick update, despite my busy schedule I have been able to do a basic UVmap of the new model, what I mean is I have it skinned in "fair" detail although If I want more detail in certain areas I will have to change the UVmap(very likely), all the ridges and spikes are a UV nightmare. Anyway here is a screenie of my template for those interested:

oh oh click me.. click me (http://img174.exs.cx/img174/2321/uvmapped8gk.jpg)
 ChAiNz.2da
03-15-2005, 6:31 AM
Update

Just a quick update, despite my busy schedule I have been able to do a basic UVmap of the new model, what I mean is I have it skinned in "fair" detail although If I want more detail in certain areas I will have to change the UVmap(very likely), all the ridges and spikes are a UV nightmare. Anyway here is a screenie of my template for those interested:

oh oh click me.. click me (http://img174.exs.cx/img174/2321/uvmapped8gk.jpg)
Nice looking color map there Mav! Great job! :thumbsup:

Another thing you can do, if you haven't already, is to make sure your color map shows your UV poly lines. Overlay your wireframe over your color zones and knock the opacity down to say 50%...
It can really help you out if you have a certain mapped area that contains other smaller elements.
Here's an example of what my maps look like for the upcoming Zez-Kai Ell saber. Probably looks alot like yours ;) Sample Map (http://www.jumpstationz.com/kotor) screens/sample-map.jpg)
 VincenzoMorello
03-15-2005, 1:54 PM
I must say maverick great job but i think with the Sith Lord, Assassin and Maruder you shoud make the lightsaber more red as the ones you have made look pinkish purplish so i think if you had a realli red blade and a white core or a really red blade and a core simillar to that of Guardian of the Force.Just a suggestion
 Mav
03-16-2005, 3:49 AM
@ ChAiNz.2da

I will definetly do that, for the final UVmap, but this one was jsut to give myself a basic idea of how I would like the final texture and the final UVmap to look. This map was made very quickly... (I didn't detach any polys just click and drag to select many faces in one go ;)). The final UVmap should be more detailed though, thanks for the tip, I'll definetly use it :D

@ VincenzoMorello

I'm not sure if you are talking about this new hilt or if you are talking about the Prestige pack, this hilt has no planned blade color yet, ;), and if you are talking about the Prestige Pack, then in the pack you should've noticed that I included the regular game-saber textures for you to use :D
 VincenzoMorello
03-16-2005, 4:03 AM
I did not realise that you had included the other textures in the prestige item pack sorry about that.
 Mav
03-17-2005, 2:08 AM
@ VincenzoMorello

No problem at all, but just check out the readme file of every mod you download ;), and it's not hard at all to make your own saber blade color too, you could give it a go :D
 RaV™
03-17-2005, 2:10 AM
I wouldn't mind doing that, but im a lazy slob :-D
 Mav
03-18-2005, 3:44 AM
Update

Well, I think that I finally have the new curved hilt UVmapped the way I want it or well enough to work with, and I have a "pre-release" design, basically that means it is subject to change, the following screenies are the actual hilt, and the UVmap color coder for those paint by numbers people... like me :D

Actual Hilt (http://i158.exs.cx/img158/4924/newcurvecompletetex2gf.jpg)
Please note that the picture is of the hilt textured in gmax, so there is no shader on it, basically the gray parts will be the metallic parts in-game and the black will be black with a "sheen" and the red will just be red ;)

Color Map w/ UV's (http://i158.exs.cx/img158/4001/uvcolormapcopy1mz.jpg)
Please note that I don't take credit for the tribal design, it was googled :D

As always, please make suggestions and comments. ;)

Mav
 T7nowhere
03-18-2005, 7:34 AM
Your getting better with each new model mav. Keep it up :)
 RebelScum!
03-18-2005, 9:03 AM
Sweetness mav keep it up.
 Darkkender
03-18-2005, 10:27 AM
Please note that I don't take credit for the tribal design, it was googled :D

They may be googled but you did an excellent job applying them to the saber.
 ChAiNz.2da
03-18-2005, 11:40 AM
Killer saber Mav (and nice map too)!

Keep up the great work!

Also, are you using PhotoShop or PSP?

For Photoshop, you can download tons of custom shapes (many tribal and celtic). Using those are nice as they are vectored and can be scaled, made into paths / selections etc.

http://share.studio.adobe.com/)

Click the Photshop drop-down and choose what you're looking for :D

For PSP, I believe they use what they call "Tubes" which is similiar in style and function (though I'm really out of tune with the prog)... they may have a 'shapes' tool as well however...
 Lorden Darkblade
03-18-2005, 12:06 PM
O_O
Great hilt maverick187!!!
Can't wait to use it :)
 Mav
03-18-2005, 3:18 PM
Thanks for all the support everyone, and I use Photoshop ChAiNz so I'll definetly check out that site, thanks for the tip, as soon as I get my TSL character, back to getting his lightsaber, I'll get some ingame screens for you all. I don't know whether to release it as a stand alone, or to build a short saber model and a doublesaber model to go with it, I guess we'll just have to see. Thanks for all the comments. ;)
 Darkkender
03-18-2005, 4:18 PM
Thanks for all the support everyone, and I use Photoshop ChAiNz so I'll definetly check out that site, thanks for the tip, as soon as I get my TSL character, back to getting his lightsaber, I'll get some ingame screens for you all. I don't know whether to release it as a stand alone, or to build a short saber model and a doublesaber model to go with it, I guess we'll just have to see. Thanks for all the comments. ;)

If anybody deserves a double saber model to go with another model first from the MAV I think it should be ->ME<-. :p
 Mav
03-18-2005, 4:39 PM
DK, give me until Sunday maybe and your's should be finished, don't worry I didn't forget about you ;).

Ok now for a small request, it's time to play the name game, come up with a name for the saber, and if I choose it you will win..... an acknowledgement in my readme file yaaayyyyy.
 svцsh
03-18-2005, 6:07 PM
Excellent saber mav your getting better with each model , Great job on your uv map. Just a word of caution: you should try to leave at least 2 or 3 pixels of colour around each uv piece for insurance sake and try not to get any uv’s any closer to the edge then 4 to 5 pixels.

Also don’t convert to tri mesh via nwmax keep you saber in quads it makes for a much cleaner uv map just make sure to drop that AuroraTrimesh on the hilt before exporting ;)

Keep it up !

svцsh
 Shadow Blaze
03-18-2005, 6:08 PM
DK, give me until Sunday maybe and your's should be finished, don't worry I didn't forget about you ;).

Ok now for a small request, it's time to play the name game, come up with a name for the saber, and if I choose it you will win..... an acknowledgement in my readme file yaaayyyyy.

Heh I will think of one! Just need to eat dinner first lol.
 Shadow Blaze
03-18-2005, 8:01 PM
Well I have been thinking of a couple names so here they are:

Chaotic Saber or Saber of Dark Chaos
Sky Fang
Ragnarok
Odyssey
Ancient Saber
Masamune
Indus
Scorpion

Those are just a few, I can probably think of more but let me know if you like any there if not then I will think of some more.
 Mav
03-18-2005, 9:54 PM
thanks for the tips svцsh, and keep 'em coming Shadow Blaze :D

A few modeling questions though, if I resize the saber in gmax after I uvmap it and apply the texture would that cause the texture to look funky in-game? Also for making doublesabers, I usually just make a single hilt then mirror and clone it to make the other side and then just attach the two, but is it possible to make the Uvmap for the single hilt and then just mirror that UVmap for the other side of the double hilt? Thanks in advance.

In-game screenies coming soon,
Mav
 ChAiNz.2da
03-18-2005, 10:33 PM
but is it possible to make the Uvmap for the single hilt and then just mirror that UVmap for the other side of the double hilt?
svцsh helped me out with this idea with my BA-122 sabers. ;)

If you've detached the faces and built your single hilt UVmap. Then mirror (as copy) and attach your 2 ends, they (UV coordinates) 'stack' :D I didn't have to do a thing to my UV... (woohoo)...

single hilt UV = doublesaber sweetness
 Mav
03-18-2005, 10:39 PM
So I just have to UVmap the single hilt before I mirror and clone it, sweet that'll save me some work, thanks ChAiNz ;)
 Shadow Blaze
03-18-2005, 10:52 PM
I was so hoping that you would pick one of those but oh well now let's see...

Dragon Slayer
Megido
Fire Brand
Blaze (sorry had to try at least lol)
Musashi
Apocalypse
Corsair Edge
Muramasa
Levatine
Excalibur (just throwing that out there)
Viper (could name a double blade twin viper)
Tsunami
Buster
Conformer
Force Stealer
Hawkeye
Einlancer

I hope you like one of those but I will try to think of more names just in case.
 Darkkender
03-18-2005, 10:58 PM
Mav I vote for you to choose the name "Megido". Suggested by Shadow Blaze. It has a nice ring to it.
 Mav
03-18-2005, 11:13 PM
That's it Shadow Blaze is a name machine, I like Megido too, Congrats you won the contest lol, :lol:, Oh and DK you can expect some e-mails and/or PMs in the next few days ;)
 Shadow Blaze
03-18-2005, 11:40 PM
That's it Shadow Blaze is a name machine, I like Megido too, Congrats you won the contest lol, :lol:, Oh and DK you can expect some e-mails and/or PMs in the next few days ;)

Yeah I won the contest! Too bad there wasn't much competition lol. Heh, name machine, lol never been called that before. Any chance I could get one of the sabers like Darkkender?
 Mav
03-18-2005, 11:47 PM
Update

Here is a little in-game collage type thing, and the release date is not set because I have decided to make a double saber hilt for it and the short saber hilt will be the same hilt, just on a short saber. Anway on to the screenie:

In-game Teaser - 122kb (http://img229.exs.cx/img229/3193/megido1qp.jpg)

@ Shadow Blaze
Thanks for the name ;), and you can download it when its avaliable, but I'm building a doublesaber hilt for Darkkender, for one of his mods, I don't even know what it is really.... lol
 Darkkender
03-18-2005, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Shadow Blaze
Yeah I won the contest! Too bad there wasn't much competition lol. Heh, name machine, lol never been called that before. Any chance I could get one of the sabers like Darkkender?

Well the one I'm getting is for a team effort mod project I was just razing mav a wee bit.
 Shadow Blaze
03-18-2005, 11:52 PM

@ Shadow Blaze
Thanks for the name ;), and you can download it when its avaliable, but I'm building a doublesaber hilt for Darkkender, for one of his mods, I don't even know what it is really.... lol

Ok I can wait... Besides you have the in-game model done so it shouldn't be too awful long lol. And considering the other little shortcut that ChAiNz.2da told you about for the double saber that shouldn't slow it down a lot either. Can't wait for it maverick! It looks GOOD!
 Darkkender
03-18-2005, 11:52 PM
Update

Here is a little in-game collage type thing, and the release date is not set because I have decided to make a double saber hilt for it and the short saber hilt will be the same hilt, just on a short saber. Anway on to the screenie:

In-game Teaser - 122kb (http://img229.exs.cx/img229/3193/megido1qp.jpg)

@ Shadow Blaze

To quote Tim Allen, "Argh, Argh, Arghh"!
 Shadow Blaze
03-19-2005, 12:16 AM
Maverick maybe you can help me on this... How exactly do you get the curve on the hilt? I have been wondering this for a while and haven't figured it out in gmax yet.
 Mav
03-19-2005, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by Shadow Blaze
Maverick maybe you can help me on this... How exactly do you get the curve on the hilt? I have been wondering this for a while and haven't figured it out in gmax yet.

Well I'm going to assume that you've read and followed T7's awesome saber modeling tutorial, and that you've built at least 1 or 2 "straight" sabers. Once you get your basic saber converted to an editable mesh, then what I do is just make an extrude .5-1 cm and then click the polygon node under the editble mesh node and select the polygon on the bottom, your octagon end piece if you will. Then rotate it along one coordinate (x, y, or z) it depends on how you are viewing it preferably from the left or right. The less of an angle you rotate the more extrudes you will need the more polys your model will be, anyway after you rotate it move it using so that the thickness of that section matches the rest of your hilt, rinse and repeat ;). Note that the more extrudes you use the more detail your hilt will be, but the more polys it will have, I managed to only extrude 3 times on teh curve in the hilt above and my poly count is around 450+, Happy modeling :D

Mav
 Shadow Blaze
03-19-2005, 1:08 AM
Yeah I did read T7's guide. But for some reason the hilt I made always has the PC grabbing on to the very bottom of it. But maybe when I make my next model that won't happen:D . Well I think I will try it out tomorrow. The thing I am not looking forward to however is creating the new texture for it. I mean I can skin the already in game sabers but I know skinning the user created models must be different. Well if I don't figure it out you or ChAiNz.2da will probably be helping me.
And I have a feeling if that happens then I will see a lot of :headbump in my future.
 Shadow Blaze
03-19-2005, 2:15 AM
Hey getting the curve in isn't that hard at all! It only needed about 4 extrudes to get it in:D. Thanks for the help maverick!

EDIT: Ah that sucks.... Something went wrong loading the file I saved so I had to redo the curve and now I don't know how many extrudes I used:(
 Shadow Blaze
03-19-2005, 3:30 AM
AHHHH!!!! UVW mapping nightmare. Well maverick looks like I have another question... Well actually a couple questions. 1. What type of UVW map object do you use on curved hilts?(cylindrical, sphere, box, etc) 2. Do you usually map each seperately and 3. Do you usually try to remain as close as in the cylinder as possible when doing curved hilts?

Well basically I have a uv map that well here is a screenshot so you get the picture...

http://img161.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img161&image=image232qt.png)

I have done UVW mapping before in the tutorial with good success but here, I am confused.
Page: 3 of 5