Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Obi,Anikin, & Aalya's Hilts!

Page: 1 of 1
 :USA:Hefe(I)
02-04-2005, 11:46 AM
Hi everyone,

Well here's the progress so far:
http://img67.exs.cx/img67/512/a10bd.jpg)
I think they turned out well. I'd like to rework the Anikin texture a bit but blah! I got more hilts to model:)

I'd like to make these add-ons rather than replacments, If any one can point me at a thread or tutorial that would be great!

Be Well, Be Safe

Mono_Giganto
02-04-2005, 11:48 AM
Very well done. :)
 Seprithro
02-04-2005, 12:03 PM
nice work those look good
 FunSolo
02-04-2005, 12:04 PM
i like the one on the right pretty much. good work. keep it up.
 Darth Stryke
02-04-2005, 12:20 PM
They look pretty nice, however, they need to be scaled down some, they are too large. Anakins lightsaber from AOTC in real life is very small, being only 10.5 inches long and 1.25 inces in diameter at its widest point. Obi-wan's EP1 saber is 11.25 inches long and 1.5 inches in diameter at its widest point. (Diameter does not include buttons.control boxes, just the tube itself.) Besides those factors, they look nice although you may want to put more detail into the skins to add more detail. Also, On the Obi-Wan saber, the shader should not be on the black parts as they have a matte finish, not a shiney finish. I know it seems like I am being picky, but these things would take about 5 minutes to fix and make the sabers look more accurate. :D Here are a few good reference sites, the lower site is specifically for the obi-wan saber, however, since it is his favorite saber and some of the other sabers are outdated since new info was released and he did not update them. There really are not many good reference pics for the Anakin AOTC saber, so if you need would like more, I could try to take a few pics of my prop to post. (I say try because my digital camera is very cheap and does not take pictures that well.)

http://www.thelightsaber.com)

http://www.lightsaberworld.com)
 Keiko
02-04-2005, 12:25 PM
Awesome, when they goona be releasesd?
 Archonon
02-04-2005, 12:36 PM
Wow those look absolutely beautiful. One small note on Anakin's Lightsaber, it's upside down. Though you can't see it in the screenie, Anakin's saber has the activator switch which looks like a small rectangular box about in the middle of the saber, about where the PC's hands are gripping the saber. This activator switch is supposed to face up as it is being held right now it's facing down, I can tell because of the direction the tip of the hilt is currently facing.

One last small thing I notice is that the blade on Anakin's saber isn't aligned completely correctly, you can see between the blade and hilt; where the blade is supposed to be coming out of, part of it you can see the blade is not coming out of the hilt but slightly hovering above it. Hope you can see what I mean.

Aside that, these look great, love Obi's and Anakin's Ep2 blade has always been my favorite LS.

Great job!
 Bobo
02-04-2005, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Archonon
Wow those look absolutely beautiful. One small note on Anakin's Lightsaber, it's upside down. Though you can't see it in the screenie, Anakin's saber has the activator switch which looks like a small rectangular box about in the middle of the saber, about where the PC's hands are gripping the saber. This activator switch is supposed to face up as it is being held right now it's facing down, I can tell because of the direction the tip of the hilt is currently facing.

How you saw that, i might never know.

anyway, LOVE THESE. :D
 Seprithro
02-04-2005, 12:53 PM
uh get real guys, dont pick so much, btw when you guys releasing your next model?
 Darth Stryke
02-04-2005, 1:12 PM
As for my next model, when I get TSL I will release it. (assuming I can get it in-game in TSL, I hope it will recognize the format.) :D I know I am overly picky, but as I said, it is only about things that can be fixed quickly. Lightsabers are one of the few things I am extremely picky about, mainly because they are not difficult to make and the things I am suggesting will make them more accurate and are easy to do. If they were custom sabers, I would not say a word because they are his own design, but since he is making sabers from the films I figured I would give advice since I know a lot about them. If you do not changeanything, it will still be a great set of sabers, it is merely a suggestion. I am sorry if I come off as harsh, however, I always like to give advice and suggestions when I have knowledge to share about a specific topic.
 Archonon
02-04-2005, 1:43 PM
Originally posted by Master Bobo
How you saw that, i might never know.

anyway, LOVE THESE. :D

It's pretty simple, follow this link to a picture of Anakin's saber:

http://www.thelightsaber.com/WorkFolder/SmallSFW/Anakin2SM.jpg)

Here it's upside down also, see that small box in the middle facing down? That's either the activator switch or battery indicator, which is supposed to be facing up. If you look at Anakin holding the saber in a creenie you can see how it's held and I have a replica of Anakin's Ep2 saber.

Sepithro: I wasn't criticizing :USA:Hefe(1)'s work at all, I was merely pointing out how the saber is held in case he was interested in fixing it, that's all. It was merely a suggestion, I only meant to help.
 Darth Stryke
02-04-2005, 2:22 PM
Well, Archonon, while you are TECHNICALLY correct, that picture is not the best example. In that picture, the saber is, in fact, mirrored. Just flip the image and you will have the "look" You can also look here at mine, although the picture sucks. (Bad camera, I had the cd case in there merely as a size reference) Also, as a final note, who says his jedi holds the saber the same as Anakin? :p

http://stryke.fotopic.net/p11510104.html)
 svцsh
02-04-2005, 2:25 PM
Great work, the nice thing about making your own stuff is creative license, so do it how you want ;)

I never do this so sorry, not intending to hijack this thread

So does this pass inspection ? Darth Stryke :p

http://svoshsphotos.fotopic.net/p9259233.html)
http://svoshsphotos.fotopic.net/p9259230.html)
http://svoshsphotos.fotopic.net/p9259231.html)

A little overdue, won’t be to long now

svцsh
 Darth Stryke
02-04-2005, 2:33 PM
Pretty nice, although I can point out picky mess in that as well, though I will not do so in this thread. :p Svosh has brought up a good point, creativity. If you merely judge by what you can see in the films, most saber models would not be as detailed as we make them anyways. There is nothing wrong with changing stuff to fit personal taste. I was merely making suggestions that would make it more film-accurate if you wanted to go that route. Perfect example is Anakins lightsaber in Episode 3. I will not post spoilers, but the creators added/changed stuff on it out of creativity even though technically it is the same as a saber from another film. Anyways, I am done ranting. Keep up the great work and do not worry about picky details like I posted unless you WANT to change them. By the way, did I mention that obi hilt is awesome?

Also, you may have noticed my name change from BoL_Stryke to Darth Stryke. Old clan name from a long-dead clan for Jedi Outcast. Bout time I got rid of it :)
02-04-2005, 2:49 PM
Hello,

Don't worry suggestions are always welcome:)

I just figured out yesterday how to import hilts so I'm still working out the bugs.

And some times its hard to get the size right the first time on export so I'll do some trial and error runs till in get it right!

And as for adding detail to the tga's, I've done a lot of Doom3 modding and texture creation. And if you look at my textures they are very detailed. I use 512X1024 (like Jedi Academy hilts). On the front of the Obi hilt I made the lined indentions and little stuff like that but it seems that when you use the txi file and mess with the ahlpa channel either its to shiny or dull, theres no in between. I like the shiny:)

But thanks for the nice replys and suggestions. More are always welcome!

Darth Stryke
02-04-2005, 6:17 PM
Yea, I have done work with JA as well, but that is a whole different ball game than KOTOR sometimes. Kinda funny, with KOTOR it seems technically easier to do sabers and models yet in JA, I seem to have an easier time with it. THen again I don't do player models, if I did I would probably get really tired of the JA model format. :D
 Bobo
02-04-2005, 10:07 PM
yes but Kotor is more pickier with models and animations etc etc etc lol
 Juha Avery
02-05-2005, 12:14 AM
well well those look good, that chrome color is really amazing.
 Vampiro
02-05-2005, 3:42 AM
I like the Obi-Wan the most...Very nice man, keep em coming:D
02-05-2005, 8:11 AM
Hi,

Very nice svosh! Like the Vader hilt! But Dark Stryke is right about one thing.

Both are hilts are out of proportion. I just got the SW box set today and took some screenies to get an idea of how big or small the hilts should be.

Since you can't really see Vaders hilt many times in the movies I decided to model Lukes hilt from Episode's 1 & 2 ( I figure Vaders is around the same size).

So after taking screens of Luke getting Anikin's saber from Obi, Practice on the Falcon, Hangin around on Hoth, Han gutting the Tonton, Luke's falure at the cave, and first meeting Vader I came up with some helpfull info.

I believe both hilts are about two hand lenghts long(while being held), with only some of the hilt visible on the top.
As far as the radius goes, thats hard to judge. When I model anything I either use a reference picture as a background in the front viewport or if I can get a hold of good blueprints I'll make boxes and place front,top,back,ect... images to get a good idea of scale and size. thelightsaber.com is a great place for reference pics I just alt-b and set as a background image.

So as far as scale goes I think my hilts are pretty on. Using a background image and having other reference images open to look at is very helpfull.

But then getting the scale in 3ds Max 6.0 is easy but in game is a different story.

So to figure this out I did this. I imported a character model into Max. Deleted everything but the hands. Positioned the hands so
there one above the other in the center of the scene. Then saved as a 3ds file. Opened up my Luke hilt file the merged the hands file. This was the the only way I could figure out how to get a rough idea of scale and size in game and came up with this:
http://img52.exs.cx/img52/3802/screen019qd.jpg)

This is as close as I could get I think to the right scale. What do you all think?

Well I'm off to more modding goodness!

Be well, Be safe!

Seprithro
02-05-2005, 8:16 AM
I think that it looks good, but what do I know?
 Bobo
02-05-2005, 8:33 AM
oooooh pretty.

;)

most models are not the right scale. just match it up as close as you can. its the model itself that counts :)

you still continue to amaze me
 Darth Stryke
02-05-2005, 8:39 AM
That is a creative way to do it. Just to note, Vader's saber is a bit larger than Anakin's Ep2 saber, the reason it looks similar in size is due to the fact that the Vader actor had large hands and Hayden (Anakin Ep2 actor) has small hands, which is why they made his EP2 saber smaller than the rest. If you have any questions about the real-life size of the lightsabres, just ask. Anakin's saber I found was hard to scale when I worked on one in JA, due to its smaller size. I eventually scaled it off of Luke's ESB saber and just scaled it down a tiny bit since the Ani/Luke Ep4/5 saber is 1.5 inches on the main tube and Anikan's is 1.25 inches yet in-game, it is hard to measure this. If you have T7's Anisaber from the saber pack, Anakins AOTC saber should be about that thickness (Sorry T7:p ) Rest can be based roughly off the luke saber and just change the lengths to fit the films just make sure that the widest part of the saber is no wider than your main tube of the Luke saber. Like Obi-wan's, the main tube and emitter tube should be that width and the rest should be thinner parts. That is all the advice I can give for scale.

(An aside to others, keep in mind that his PC is female so she has smaller hands than the male pc so the sabers may look bigger than in films. Except Anakins, Hayden's hands probably are about that size judging by his saber prop.) :p
 ChAiNz.2da
02-05-2005, 8:52 AM
Being an 'initiate' modeler, I'm just happy when after my saber is built, it doesn't wind up clipping through the hands... hehe :p

All of the sabers look magnificent so far everyone... great job! Sure beats what we 'used' to have to deal with... ;)

I don't think we can thank cchargin enough for his hard work. Cheers to ya' cchargin :cheers:
 Darkkender
02-05-2005, 11:16 AM
I have to say IMHO that the exact specs from one movie to another for conversion probably shouldn't be as important as some of the details because a small thing like dimensions of that nature aren't that noticiable unless you blowing the image up alot. I have to say the work your doing in converting is excellent though.

FYI: Svosh I liked your pics as well.
 KOTORManiac
02-05-2005, 11:23 AM
I think the Obi-Wan lightsaber looks really cool:) Good work;)
 Mav
02-05-2005, 11:55 AM
I think that they look great, I really don't care if this is one millimeter off or this is a shade darker, I thikn they look fine, hell they're a HECK of a lot better than the one I made.
02-05-2005, 12:08 PM
Hello again,

I agree that I like the way they turned out. And svosh does some great work as well(downloaded his mods long before starting my own and am still using them:).

I just think that anyone whos done a good amount of 3d modelling and or texture work starts to get picky after a while.

I meen when you first get a model in-game you don't care if its to big to small or how detailed it is. Your just stoked to see your work in-game.

But after you get it down you start to get picky. You thing yeah I liked the last one but how can I do this one better.

I have to say there is a lot of talent in the Kotor community, and can wait to see whats next for Kotor & Kotor2

And I think (if this isnt already in the works) a bunch of us should
get together to make some new planets to visit:)

Bobo
02-05-2005, 2:40 PM
when will you post them? PCgamemods is offline :*(
 Bobo
02-05-2005, 3:43 PM
oh, wait its back! wheee! :D

these will be the best hilts ive ever had. oh how much it will go with Xavier2's robes!

EDIT: Breathe Bobo, Breathe.... it will be outsoon... breathe

^^^^^^^
[So Excited hes having a heart attack]

:joy: :saberg: :saberb: :saberr: :3heart:

lol

hurry before i :hang1: myself.

ok ive gone smily face happy. :) ill be quiet now.
Page: 1 of 1