Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

A-Z of Modeling a new Lightsaber

Page: 1 of 5
 T7nowhere
02-03-2005, 6:48 PM
This Tutorial is still under review

In this tutorial you will learn the basics of Ngon modeling, UVW mapping and useing the replacer function in cchargin's MDLops. I wrote the tutorial in word so you can open the document in wordpad or MS Word.

Download:
Building a new Lightsaber (http://www.starwarsknights.com/HL_Tutorials/saber_tut.rar)

To follow along with this tutorial you will need these tools:

Gmax (http://www4.discreet.com/gmax/) This is a free program is used to make 3d models. You can also use 3ds

NWmax (http://nwmax.dladventures.com/) This is a plug-in that was designed to import NWN models, but it works to import KotOR models as well. IF your useing 3ds you will need to Download the 3ds version of NWmax.

cchargins MDLops 4.1 (http://home.comcast.net/~cchargin/kotor/index.html) This app is used to convert the models from KotOR to ascii.mdl so that you can import the model into Gmax by useing NWmax. This app will also compile the model after you export your model from gmax.
 ChAiNz.2da
02-03-2005, 7:10 PM
Sweet! New Toys!

*snatch*

whoa.... pictures too... I see I've been 'skipping' some steps already... ;)

Fantastic step-by-step tutorial T7! If this were any more in-depth, you'd be sitting in front of my computer making the saber for me! Outstanding!
 Darth333
02-03-2005, 7:21 PM
Thanks :) even modelling n00bs like me can now attempt to make a new saber :D (only thing I have to find now is an idea for a new model...and time)
 cchargin
02-03-2005, 7:39 PM
Thanks T7!

I was just beginning to think that replacer created more confusion than it was worth!

Now we have something that will clear away the confusion!
 RedHawke
02-03-2005, 7:51 PM
Very nicely done tutorial T7! :thmbup1:

Like Darth333 said, with pics, even modeling newbies like us can understand this... ;)

Thanks! :D

And, once again, thanks also to Cchargin for making it possible!
 Mav
02-03-2005, 10:23 PM
Hey, Hey, awesome tutorial T7, I'll give it the full go-over this weekend when I start work on my second saber model. Thanks again for mapping my first model, now with this tutorial, hopefully I can map my own models, lol. Yeah for modeling newbs...lol
 Darkkender
02-04-2005, 8:12 AM
Thank you T7. With this and seps uvmap release I guess My paint by numbers ability might actually put something decent out. Especially since you show me how to paint by numbers in this.:p
 Mav
02-05-2005, 3:55 PM
T7, I just finished doing a full run-through of Part 1, the modeling part, and wow modeling is a lot funner now...lol. Great tutorial.
 T7nowhere
02-05-2005, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by maverick187
T7, I just finished doing a full run-through of Part 1, the modeling part, and wow modeling is a lot funner now...lol. Great tutorial.

whew! thats good to hear.

Remember if there is any part thats unclear please post so I can see about amending the tut.
 svцsh
02-06-2005, 8:34 AM
Excellent tut T7 I’m really glad you did this. :thumbsup:

I hope it helps clarify 3d , get to know the program before you jump in and decide to model a 800 poly saber. Knowing the tools makes any job easier.

*A note of caution going back and forth in the modifier stack can cause the program to crash and to completely loose your unwrapped UV So save before you do this each time to be safe, and choose the option [HOLD YES]

Or detach the model to separate elements after modeling it. Then apply the mapping unwrapping modifiers and you won’t have to go back down in the stack when Unwrapping.

svцsh
 Darth Stryke
02-06-2005, 9:53 AM
Great tutorial, will certainly help anyone who wants to model new stuff but is having a hard time learning. :D
 kay338
02-20-2005, 11:58 PM
could you rotate the camera with gmax?
 Mav
02-21-2005, 12:44 AM
 kay338
02-21-2005, 12:20 PM
yay! thnx i was getting tired of not seeing whats behind my lightsaber :) lol
 kay338
02-21-2005, 1:47 PM
ok i dont get one part, really confusing me.

"So we’ll start with the blade emitter (this is not a part of the hilt that will be seen much in-game but I like to add the detail to it anyway). Start selecting the polys of the of the top face of the emiter" ok i selected them.(its the top of the saber right?)

then i get lost at this
"Once all the polys of the top of the emitter is selected , open the UV editor and hit Planar Map with averaged normals checked. What will happen is those selected polys will be centered over the texture in the editor. But you don’t want it to take up the entire map so you will need to scale them down to a more manageable size and then position it in the corner of the map." and everything under that
:confused: can anyone help :)
 kay338
02-21-2005, 6:13 PM
 kay338
02-21-2005, 10:23 PM
now it wont export :( i did a second saber everything worked until the export.
 KillerWave
04-21-2005, 12:58 PM
I followed the tutorial to the point of exporting the model in mdl format, but when I export the geometry, it only exports he original, not the new saber model.
How do I get it to export the new model to the mdl ascii format?
Thanks
 T7nowhere
04-21-2005, 1:09 PM
you need to make certain that the old hilt has been unlinked and the new model linked to the old hilts Parent(Blue box helper to the side of the saber blades.
 ChAiNz.2da
04-21-2005, 1:11 PM
Originally posted by kay338
error occured :( heres the image i took of it.

www.ass.chicago-clan.com/File/HelpMe.JPG) (http://www.ass.chicago-clan.com/File/HelpMe.JPG)
I know what you're problem is (happened to me the first time I tried modeling)...

When you export your model from MAX, it overwrites your original binary model (cuz' the name is the same)... look in your folder and notice the time/date... it'll shock ya' ;)

Keep your existing .mdl (the one exported from MAX)... goto KotOR Tool and re-extract a lightsber model (extract, don't convert)... preferably to a different folder than your ascii model...

Now, re-name the model you just extracted from KT (add something like "copy" to it).. then place the re-named file into your folder along with your ascii model and MDLOps...

now, for your binary model (in replacer), use the "copy" file... and in your ascii field, use your exported MAX model...

should work :D

From now on however, before you begin modeling... when you first extract a model to be converted.. make a "copy" of it so you don't run into the problem again ;)

Hope this helps! :)
 KillerWave
04-21-2005, 5:06 PM
Originally posted by T7nowhere
you need to make certain that the old hilt has been unlinked and the new model linked to the old hilts Parent(Blue box helper to the side of the saber blades.

Im sure id did it...well, let me try it again.
 KillerWave
04-21-2005, 5:20 PM
Maybe I am not really exporting it?
It's the "export all or selected" button or nwmax, or that's wrong?
 stoffe
04-21-2005, 5:34 PM
Originally posted by KillerWave
Maybe I am not really exporting it?
It's the "export all or selected" button or nwmax, or that's wrong?

You should do it like this (http://img258.echo.cx/my.php?image=gmaxhelp3vi.jpg):

(Referring to numbers in picture above)

1) Select the AuroraBase object
2) Click on the Modify (bent pipe thing) tab in the sidebar
3) Make sure the AuroraBase is selected in the list
4) Set the path to where you want the ascii file to be saved when exporting.
5) Click the "Export Geom Only" button.
 KillerWave
04-21-2005, 6:10 PM
I get a "SanityCheck failed for w_lightsbr_001. Push YES to continue export" error. If iI choose yes, it doesnt export anything as far as I can see...:(
MY SanityCheck is failing :(

I got both hilt models i wanted to get in-game and saved in max format in the hope it can be resumed once its figured why I cant export. Could someone take a look at this?

Also, i saw references that led me to believe that lightsbr_001 is the blue lightsaber. If I want to have this hilt available for all lightsaber colors, I have to convert one model for each of the colors?

Btw, id hope to get a those models as unique hilt, that only my character has them. Don't want to just replace the original, because that way, all lightsaber hilts would look the same.
 KillerWave
04-22-2005, 11:09 PM
I tracked the SanityCheck error. It is because of the new hilt model itself, although I have no idea to why it causes it.
Someone know how to fix it, if possible?
 svцsh
04-22-2005, 11:38 PM
I tracked the SanityCheck error. It is because of the new hilt model itself, although I have no idea to why it causes it.
Someone know how to fix it, if possible?
Can you paste the error here so we can help you ;)

svцsh
 KillerWave
04-22-2005, 11:58 PM
"SanityCheck failed for w_lightsbr_001. Push YES to continue export"

It happens when I try to export to mdl. If I continue, the file doesn't save.
 Keiko
04-23-2005, 12:04 AM
Sweet! New Toys! *scatch* Hahahahaha! Awesome tut T7, I can learn now!:p

Chainz, you kill me!:p
 svцsh
04-23-2005, 12:56 AM
No I mean your actual error

Found in this folder
C:\gmax\scripts\NWmax\sanity
Or this one C:\3dsmax#\scripts\NWmax\sanity

named the same as the model you are working on ex : w_Lghtsbr_002_sanitycheck.txt

Example like this :

Checking node w_Lghtsbr_002
AuroraBase "w_Lghtsbr_002" has a non-zero rotation
'Zero Rotation' Check failed.
Checking node ignore_NGon01
Checking node Dummy01
Checking node new
Checking node plane242
Checking node plane239
Checking node plane240
Checking node plane241

what is red is what my problem was ;)

svцsh
 KillerWave
04-23-2005, 9:27 AM
Checking node w_Lghtsbr_001
Checking node Dummy01
Checking node w_saber
Node "w_saber" has a scale that is not 1
'Zero World Scale' Check failed.

EDIT: Hmm...I managed to get rid of the error scaling the saber before importing it to gmax, but unless I am mistaken, it doesnt export anything :(
Neither the mdl or the ascii mdl seem to change
 T7nowhere
04-23-2005, 12:22 PM
Checking node w_Lghtsbr_001
Checking node Dummy01
Checking node w_saber
Node "w_saber" has a scale that is not 1
'Zero World Scale' Check failed.

Save your scene then select all in scene and hit reset Xform on the NWmax tool bar and try to export again.
 Mav
04-23-2005, 5:41 PM
A sanity check error can also occur if your texture is over fourteen characters, I believe
 KillerWave
04-23-2005, 10:14 PM
It doesn't give me any errors when I hit the "export geom only" on gmax, but id doesn't export anything at all :(

It does say: exported at "x" date at "y" hours but the mdl files doesn't change at all. It remains the exact time/date and size from when they were extracted from tsl.

AAARRGHHH! Why it doesn't export?
 Clibby
04-25-2005, 2:22 AM
Alright let me start by saying, I'm a total noob at 3d editing. Ok now I have one question for now. What exactly am I dong here, am I creating many different NGons and pinning them together , or am I taking one NGon and then extrude and bevel it untill it resembles a saber?
 SoNico717
04-25-2005, 2:59 AM
Ialways want to make my custom lightsaber with a bigger "blade", so i decide (before starting with my custom hilt) to change the blade height.

In another worlds, i want to make a Long Lightsaber.

But after editing the the .mdl file and exported to the override folder i found myself with this problem... see it for yourself.

http://img251.echo.cx/img251/206/k2000001jy.jpg) (http://www.imageshack.us)

http://img251.echo.cx/img251/1722/k2000048oq.jpg) (http://www.imageshack.us)

And when i center the camera behind my player, the part of the blade i mark in the other pics dissapear...

http://img251.echo.cx/img251/2406/k2000030ul.jpg) (http://www.imageshack.us)

What i have done in gmax is extend the Vertex to a higher position to make it larger. And the model i'm using is w_lghtsbr_002.mdl.

So please someone could tell me what i have to do to extend the blade of a lightsaber without having that problem.

Thanks.
 Mav
04-25-2005, 3:11 AM
I'm surprised you even got that far, it used to be said that you couldn't edit the length of the blade... hmmm I still don't think you can actually change the blade length, but I'm wondering if it is possible now with Taina's replacer tool hmmm, I wonder.
 svцsh
04-25-2005, 5:30 AM
@SoNico717 why not use Malak’s saber and replace the default with your hilt ;). It’s quite long as it is and wouldn’t have to be any longer without clipping through the ground when flourishing.
w_lghtsbr006 - DARTH MALAK's LIGHT SABER
w_lghtsbr_006.mdl
w_lghtsbr_006.mdx

It’s in k2 as well just not used, but it’s in there.

@KillerWave try to make a temp directory on your desktop or something, go to it. Copy it’s location from it’s address bar

ex: C:\Documents and Settings\##\Desktop\my NEW HILT

Then in [g]max just below the modifier stack there is palace for location paste that address in there.

When you export with the [ Geom only ] button just below it your new model should be found in your new dir \ . Now if nothing is there, you may have skipped an important step of linking your hilt to the animation dummy so the hilt is not rigged . Try re-reading T7’s helpful saber tut and the Replacer one that comes with Mdlops.

Hope this helps ;)

svцsh
 SoNico717
04-25-2005, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by svцsh
@SoNico717 why not use Malak’s saber and replace the default with your hilt ;). It’s quite long as it is and wouldn’t have to be any longer without clipping through the ground when flourishing.
w_lghtsbr006 - DARTH MALAK's LIGHT SABER
w_lghtsbr_006.mdl
w_lghtsbr_006.mdx

It’s in k2 as well just not used, but it’s in there.

svцsh

Thanks, i never figured out that model is in KT2 ... i'm going to play with it when i get back home.

Thanks again :)

EDIT: BTW great tutorial T7, just perfect! even a noobie like me can start moding a lightsaber :)
 Clibby
04-25-2005, 12:50 PM
Can anyone tell me what I'm doing? Also everytime I reopen GMax, The saber and cylinder almost double in size! How do I re-size it once it has been converted to editable mesh? I'm sorry if this sounds a little childish, but I'm really eager to start modeling my first saber hilt.
 ChAiNz.2da
04-25-2005, 1:04 PM
Originally posted by Clibby
Can anyone tell me what I'm doing? Also everytime I reopen GMax, The saber and cylinder almost double in size! How do I re-size it once it has been converted to editable mesh? I'm sorry if this sounds a little childish, but I'm really eager to start modeling my first saber hilt.
Is it physically re-sizing, or is it just your Zoom extent POV? Once you've resized, Save your scene, close it and immediately re-open it to see if the changes "took hold"...

Also, make sure you "set environment" before opening your project (and starting new ones)...

As far as resizing, there's numerous ways.
You can segment/slice your polys and use the Move feature, you can fiddle around with the extrusions (though your hilt may wind up inside itself)... or you can use scaling.. 3dsMAX & GMAX support uniform & non-uniform scaling as a whole, lengthwise & width-wise. Or you can try editing in the verts sub, physicall moving your vertices dimensions....
 Clibby
04-25-2005, 2:27 PM
Ok, thanks Chainz, I forgot to set the enviorment. Now what exactly am I doing? I still havent figured it out. I have the 2cm base that I want, but what do I do now. Do I create more NGons untill I get it like a saber, or do I just work off the 2cm one?
 ChAiNz.2da
04-25-2005, 3:13 PM
Originally posted by Clibby
Ok, thanks Chainz, I forgot to set the enviorment. Now what exactly am I doing? I still havent figured it out. I have the 2cm base that I want, but what do I do now. Do I create more NGons untill I get it like a saber, or do I just work off the 2cm one?
Once you've established the 2cm base, select the "top" face and add an extrude modifier from the drop-down list. I usually start with a .5cm extrude.

Right-click on the extruded base and convert to Editable mesh. Now to your right in the window you'll see the new "Mesh" sub. Open the tree, select "poly" and now you can build off of the base you just created. Using simple extrudes and beveling can get you almost any design you want. For further "elements" you can experiment selecting different faces and use combinations of bevel, extrude, scaling, move, booleans, etc.

It's all really "experimentation" until you get familiar with the tools and how they're incorporated into MAX. Start simple, then try more advanced designs as you go along :)

ALSO, read up on the tutorials listed in the Skinning & Modeling Stickies located at the top of this forum.

both svцsh & T7 have gone to great lengths in detailing the steps needed in order to properly model a saber. Trust me, after a few models.. you'll be making these things blind-folded ;)
 KillerWave
04-25-2005, 7:47 PM
Originally posted by svцsh
@KillerWave try to make a temp directory on your desktop or something, go to it. Copy it’s location from it’s address bar

ex: C:\Documents and Settings\##\Desktop\my NEW HILT

Then in [g]max just below the modifier stack there is palace for location paste that address in there.

When you export with the [ Geom only ] button just below it your new model should be found in your new dir \ . Now if nothing is there, you may have skipped an important step of linking your hilt to the animation dummy so the hilt is not rigged . Try re-reading T7’s helpful saber tut and the Replacer one that comes with Mdlops.

Hope this helps ;)

svцsh

I did all of this, no luck!

http://killerwave.solsector.net/tsl/missing.jpg)

1. Created a temp folder
2. Made sure it was linked
3. Changed the export path and choose "export geom only"
4. Gmax say it was exported
5. The temp directory is empty!

What the hell!? It refuses to save.

Strange thing is that when it had the sanitycheck error, it made changes on the original mdl, but didnt saved the new hilt.
Now it doesnt save anything, even if I restart from scratch and leave the sanitycheck error.

Gmax hates me :(
 stoffe
04-25-2005, 8:19 PM
I did all of this, no luck!

http://killerwave.solsector.net/tsl/missing.jpg)

1. Created a temp folder
2. Made sure it was linked
3. Changed the export path and choose "export geom only"
4. Gmax say it was exported
5. The temp directory is empty!

What the hell!? It refuses to save.

Two things that may be worth checking:

1) Did you start gmax by choosing nwmax? There should be a green/black "nw" icon down in the system tray in the taskbar if you did.

2) Do you use Win2K or WinXP as operating system on your computer? NWMax Snoop, which is used for exporting, does not work in Win95/Win98/WinME....
 KillerWave
04-27-2005, 9:09 PM
Originally posted by stoffe -mkb-
2) Do you use Win2K or WinXP as operating system on your computer? NWMax Snoop, which is used for exporting, does not work in Win95/Win98/WinME....

That is it!
I have 2 pcs, one is running Win98 and the other WinXP. I tried on both. Although I was, in both cases, opening the files from the Win98 pc, wich caused it to dont work even on XP.
I got all the files on XP and now its working. :D
There is a pic in case anyone is curious:
http://killerwave.solsector.net/tsl/hilts.jpg)

A quick note: The hilt models arent mine, so I am not releasing it.
If there is interest however, I could try to contact the modelers for their permission.

Thanks for the help.
 SoNico717
04-27-2005, 9:38 PM
That is it!
I have 2 pcs, one is running Win98 and the other WinXP. I tried on both. Although I was, in both cases, opening the files from the Win98 pc, wich caused it to dont work even on XP.
I got all the files on XP and now its working. :D
There is a pic in case anyone is curious:
http://killerwave.solsector.net/tsl/hilts.jpg)

A quick note: The hilt models arent mine, so I am not releasing it.
If there is interest however, I could try to contact the modelers for their permission.

Thanks for the help.

That's great KillerWave!, congrats :)

I like both LightSabers!
 x8c4
05-11-2005, 4:08 PM
I followed the tutorial to make a lightsaber, but it doesn't want to export. When I select the aurora base object (1 on the picture), I can't access to the aurora base (3) on the modify tab, at the place of it, I have "dummy".

http://img258.echo.cx/my.php?image=gmaxhelp3vi.jpg)

Does anyone knows what to do?
 sith_master2000
05-14-2005, 7:56 PM
Originally posted by T7nowhere
Remember if there is any part thats unclear please post so I can see about amending the tut.
There is for me, (I don't know about anybody else because I am the biggest modeling n00b in the universe).

In Part 3, I know how to get another KotOR saber into Gmax, but after that bit I have no idea what to do :confused: , this includes going through Part 4 aswell. I'm wondering if you can please explain this in more detail for me (I've never used Gmax before and I know that you said that you were writing it for people who have some knowledge. I went to the main site to look for tuts but it looks like you have to pay for them :confused: ). Overall though it's a great tut.
 T7nowhere
05-14-2005, 8:26 PM
You don't have to pay for Discreets gmax tutorials and I'm a bit surprised that anyone would try and charge for gmax tutorials.

here is the link for discreets gmax tutorials http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax) The ones that you should download are

gmax12_help.exe
gmax12_tutorials.exe
library.exe
 sith_master2000
05-14-2005, 9:31 PM
I downloaded them all and look at the tutorials but they're just Gmax files :confused: . They don't come with instructions or anything. Do I have to use the help file or something?
Page: 1 of 5