Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

An XBOX release

Page: 1 of 1
 michaelforce
02-01-2005, 11:56 AM
Does anyone know when an XBOX version of the Empire at War game would be released. Is there a formula for determining these things?

Although I would love to buy the PC version, I am going to wait for the XBOX. Am I Crazy?
 swphreak
02-01-2005, 12:19 PM
Yes, yes you are.

Empire a War is an RTS game, and the only systems listed for release is PC.
 OverlordAngelus
02-01-2005, 1:04 PM
RTS games just don't work on a console. Try Alien vs Predator: Extinction to see what I mean.
 XBebop
02-01-2005, 1:41 PM
I will have none of that, understood?
- Jan!
 Swoosh
02-01-2005, 2:39 PM
XBebop> haha
 lukeiamyourdad
02-01-2005, 5:28 PM
Nice flaming there.

Seriously, I agree totally with Phreak. No RTS should ever be on console. The past titles have been ridiculous failures.
 Nokill
02-01-2005, 8:29 PM
i think its more becouse you needto buy a keybourd and a mouse for your concole to play it and.... that yust makes it a computer...so erm... I WILL NEVER WORK!
 Jan Gaarni
02-01-2005, 9:04 PM
I had (or actually still have :) ) Red Alert for PlayStation. That worked ok for me.

I had to get myself a mouse (though I did have that before I got that game cause I bought the PS with UFO), and used the other controller for hotkeys.
 DK_Viceroy
02-02-2005, 12:03 AM
It might actually work on the Nintendo DS with Touchscreen and the stylus but RTS should remain PC exclusive.
 Revan Solo
02-02-2005, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by michaelforce
Does anyone know when an XBOX version of the Empire at War game would be released. Is there a formula for determining these things?

Although I would love to buy the PC version, I am going to wait for the XBOX. Am I Crazy? Buy the PC version! It is better.:D
 michaelforce
02-02-2005, 4:13 AM
I understand the concept of RTS and that most of you do not think they could ever release a console version. OK fine.

I would be interested to know HOW you all are gaming: on a PC, XBOX, Nintendo, Playstation or a combination of them?

I have rejected PC games a few years ago because it seemed I was investing so much in upgrades for the PC. I never felt they performed as well as a console. With the promise of internet (LIVE XBOX) gaming, I suppose "A NEW HOPE" was introduced.

I took a gamble two years ago and started buying XBOX titles only. How are you buying?
 Revan Solo
02-02-2005, 4:22 AM
I buy PS 2 and PC games because some games are only for PC or PS 2. Online gaming isn't so important for me. I can play on both over the internet.
 michaelforce
02-02-2005, 4:28 AM
Originally posted by Revan Solo
I buy PS 2 and PC games because some games are only for PC or PS 2. Online gaming isn't so important for me. I can play on both over the internet.

Thanks for your reply. How do you deal with the problem of upgrading your PC for the new/better games for your older system?
 Revan Solo
02-02-2005, 4:45 AM
My father usually has good new PCs for his job. I play on them.
 Jan Gaarni
02-02-2005, 4:53 AM
I prefer PC's, because there is so much games that you just can't get on the other platforms that I enjoy playing (WoW is one, SWG used to be one, and many RTS games). :)

Then again, there are the occasional gems that you just can't get on the PC. Like Spiderman 2 for instance.
Bought it for the PC, and boy was I disappointed. :( Was nothing like the Console version I tried it on.

I highly don't recommend this one for PC by the way, unless you're 7 or something. :p
 michaelforce
02-02-2005, 5:05 AM
Thanks for your reply. How much, may I ask, do you spend on upgrading your PC every year? That is my stumbling block.

I know the PC technologies have slowed in the last few years (in terms of great advances) so the cost has been lower to upgrade. I guess I've had too many bad experiences with PC games to want to go back.

XBOX has been ok to me. :lightning
 michaelforce
02-02-2005, 5:07 AM
My father usually has good new PCs for his job. I play on them.

Pretty cool deal, I envy you. Thanks for replying!:duel:
 Heavyarms
02-02-2005, 5:10 AM
best way to keep your PC upgraded is to save up some money and get some good parts. Don't buy the minimums; you'll spend more in the long run by continuously upgrading again and again to hit minimum requirements and only get par graphics because of a lack of power in your graphics card or your processor. I don't want to take this into a PC-upgrading thread, so send me a PM with your current system specs (if you aren't sure I can help you with that) and I'll try to help you upgrade economically.
 Jan Gaarni
02-02-2005, 5:10 AM
How much?

I don't really know.

I try to buy close to the best there is so I don't have to upgrade my machines that often.

Last I had to buy myself a new motherboard and grafics card, plus new ram cause the new motherboard didn't support my old ram :(

That came to around 10,000 KR, which is around $1,500, or €1,176 ... I think. Not too sure what the exchange rate is right now.
 lukeiamyourdad
02-02-2005, 5:11 AM
Originally posted by Jan Gaarni
I highly don't recommend this one for PC by the way, unless you're 7 or something. :p

Or oddly dumb.

BTW, I prefer my good old PC because it's my plaything. I can customize it, change parts, etc.

PC's are better all-rounders then consoles and that's what I want. They can do all a console can and more.

It costs a lot more money to keep a computer up-to-date but I don't mind. You've got to work for it but in the end, I find it more rewarding.

You do not need to upgrade it every year. I prefer to do it every two years. I can keep it up-to-date without spending too much at once.

Great advances haven't slowed down much but one thing is sure, if there was a breakthrough, most of us would not be able to afford it.
I think it is a common misconception that PC gamers spend huge amount of money to upgrade every year to gain 2-3 FPS. I don't think any casual gamer would be able to afford that.
 Revan Solo
02-02-2005, 5:16 AM
Originally posted by michaelforce
Pretty cool deal, I envy you. Thanks for replying!:duel: Yeah but I don't know if my father would buy a new PC in two years...
 michaelforce
02-02-2005, 5:18 AM
Originally posted by Heavyarms
best way to keep your PC upgraded is to save up some money and get some good parts. Don't buy the minimums; you'll spend more in the long run by continuously upgrading again and again to hit minimum requirements and only get par graphics because of a lack of power in your graphics card or your processor. I don't want to take this into a PC-upgrading thread, so send me a PM with your current system specs (if you aren't sure I can help you with that) and I'll try to help you upgrade economically.

I have a older laptop at home and really need to buy a new one. My wife prefers it to a desktop so I will spend a nice chunk this year, possibly when I get my tax return.

Thanks for your offer to help....I will definitely save up the buck as you suggested. It seems most of the threads are PC users. :thmbup1:
 michaelforce
02-02-2005, 5:24 AM
"It costs a lot more money to keep a computer up-to-date but I don't mind. You've got to work for it but in the end, I find it more rewarding."

----------------

I supposed you wouldn't buy a laptop? I might have made a poor choice a few years ago...bought a Presario and it is about impossible to upgrade. :headbump
 Juggernaut1985
02-02-2005, 5:42 AM
PCs are easy to keep up to date provided you are willing to spend in cycles.

1 year- Buy RAM
2 years- Buy Video Card
4 Years-Buy Motherboard
 lukeiamyourdad
02-02-2005, 5:43 AM
Laptops aren't made for gaming anyway. They can, but they're big workstations. It's their main purpose.

Upgrading a laptop is possible. You just have to find the right parts but it usually means going back to the manufacturer of your laptop, ordering pieces,etc. A bigger headache then it needs to be.

I'd buy a laptop if I needed a mobile workstation(if you travel a lot and your job requires you to use one).
 Revan Solo
02-02-2005, 5:44 AM
I think it will be cheaper to sell your older PC to buy a new one instead of upgrading it every four year.
 michaelforce
02-02-2005, 5:44 AM
Originally posted by Juggernaut1985
PCs are easy to keep up to date provided you are willing to spend in cycles.

1 year- Buy RAM
2 years- Buy Video Card
4 Years-Buy Motherboard

That's a workable solution. Thanks for the info.
 Revan Solo
02-02-2005, 5:46 AM
And the box? In the future the boxes will change and some parts wouldn't fit into a old box.
 michaelforce
02-02-2005, 5:50 AM
Originally posted by lukeiamyourdad
Laptops aren't made for gaming anyway. They can, but they're big workstations. It's their main purpose.

Upgrading a laptop is possible. You just have to find the right parts but it usually means going back to the manufacturer of your laptop, ordering pieces,etc. A bigger headache then it needs to be.

I'd buy a laptop if I needed a mobile workstation(if you travel a lot and your job requires you to use one).

You've right, and I get to try to find parts from Compaq! Not gonna do it. :(

I do travel a lot so it makes sense to buy one. This time I will spend $2000 on a laptop instead of $1200. You do get what you pay for!:comp9:
 lukeiamyourdad
02-02-2005, 6:23 AM
I think it will be cheaper to sell your older PC to buy a new one instead of upgrading it every four year.

If you upgrade it every four years, yes, it might be easier for you but not cheaper. Some parts are still good and functionnal after 4 years(CD player, network adapter, some smaller device) so no, you'll save more by upgrading.

The box is not important as there has been a standardization(sp?) of what can go in there. Pieces are built so it can fit the average box. So no, boxes don't need to change, parts will normally fit just as well.
However, some new generation motherboards are also made for a specific type of box. Those need a change but I don't think we will see any major upgrade from that part.
 Revan Solo
02-02-2005, 6:26 AM
If you upgrade it every four years, yes, it might be easier for you but not cheaper. Some parts are still good and functionnal after 4 years(CD player, network adapter, some smaller device) so no, you'll save more by upgrading.

The box is not important as there has been a standardization(sp?) of what can go in there. Pieces are built so it can fit the average box. So no, boxes don't need to change, parts will normally fit just as well.
However, some new generation motherboards are also made for a specific type of box. Those need a change but I don't think we will see any major upgrade from that part. When you have a box of 1996 or something like that you have some parts which doesn't fits with current parts.
 lukeiamyourdad
02-02-2005, 6:30 AM
Dude that's almost 10 years ago...

I don't know what you mean by "part" that fits. Perhaps you're referring to the motherboard or something because I know it fits in.

My old 1998 box can fit today's parts without problems. A vertical tower should make everything fit in nicely.
 Revan Solo
02-02-2005, 6:59 AM
Dude that's almost 10 years ago...

I don't know what you mean by "part" that fits. Perhaps you're referring to the motherboard or something because I know it fits in.

My old 1998 box can fit today's parts without problems. A vertical tower should make everything fit in nicely. I don't know how it is called in English but there are some parts that doesn't fit, how often must I repeat it?;)
 lukeiamyourdad
02-02-2005, 4:02 PM
Which part?

I can read clearly, thanks.

You're talking about vertical towers right? You do know what I'm talking about? If yes, then you'd know that any part "fits".
Why? Motherboards have been the same for them for quite a while so the boxes they made 8 years ago are still useable.

I think you simply don't know what you're talking about.
 Heavyarms
02-02-2005, 5:47 PM
luke, I think he's talking in context of both PC-Laptop and PC-PC parts, I think.
 lukeiamyourdad
02-02-2005, 6:11 PM
Well that would be a very weird comparison since a laptop and a PC's parts are different.
 Revan Solo
02-03-2005, 4:23 AM
Forget the parts, it is not so important!:D

And I know what I am talking about. I only do not know the English words.
An example is: "zusÐītzlicher Arbeitsspeicher"

(Liebe ist alles)
 lukeiamyourdad
02-03-2005, 7:18 AM
Yeah well you could write it in german. I'm not fluent in german but I know quite a bit and anyway, I'm sure there's another forumite here who could easily translate it.
 Revan Solo
02-03-2005, 7:25 AM
I looked for a English translation and I think it is called "active store". Is that right?
 Jan Gaarni
02-03-2005, 11:28 AM
I think he means RAM.
Random Access Memory.
 lukeiamyourdad
02-03-2005, 12:22 PM
Yeah but RAM always fitted in and the incompatibilities are because of the mobo, not the box itself.
 Jan Gaarni
02-03-2005, 9:39 PM
Not always.

You do have different types of slots for RAM too. :)
 Revan Solo
02-04-2005, 4:09 AM
That was what I meant!:)
 lukeiamyourdad
02-04-2005, 4:23 AM
That's what I said. Imcompatibilities with the mobo, not the box.
 Revan Solo
02-04-2005, 4:34 AM
Okay, you won! I will give up but I thought that it has to do with the box when you cannot take that RAM.
 lukeiamyourdad
02-04-2005, 5:02 AM
Well, a mobo is not welded to the box. It's a part you can change.
 jokemaster
02-05-2005, 7:29 PM
Probably never, they'd either have to really dumb down the PC version to port it, which would end in a mediocre to horrible port, dumb down BOTH versions, whcich would end in a bad game, or have to remake the game entirely for xbox. So I just don't see that happening.
 Revan Solo
02-06-2005, 6:40 AM
I guess, the problem of a X-Box version would be to controle all your units or build houses on your gamepad.
Page: 1 of 1