Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

How can I create custom items' icons, force powers' icons, ...

Page: 1 of 1
 Leviathan
02-01-2005, 8:36 AM
Hello world !

I just want to know how I can create my own custom icons for new force powers, items, ... without using a program like Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro, so by having recourse to "freewares" (If it's possible, of course !).

:) Thanks in advance ! :cool:
 tk102
02-01-2005, 8:48 AM
http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=130898)

Probably not the best place for it, but I had it in the "How to Create Force Power" thread which was really subtitled how to modify spells.2da and create a custom icon.

svцsh wrote the icon portion.
 Leviathan
02-03-2005, 8:31 AM
:mad: The only problem is that I must use a program like Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro to create my own force powers' icons !
I would like to know if it's possible to use free softwares (Paint, Microsoft Photo Editor or others ...) for this "operation" ...
 Darth333
02-03-2005, 8:34 AM
Originally posted by Galakmech

I would like to know if it's possible to use free softwares (Paint, Microsoft Photo Editor or others ...) for this "operation" ...
Look for the "GIMP" in this thread. (http://lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=143421) ;)
 Leviathan
02-03-2005, 8:39 AM
I know GIMP and I do not like it !
Are you sure that it does not exist another graphic editor (With or without *.TGA file format support ...) ?
 RedHawke
02-03-2005, 6:02 PM
Are you not familiar with the old saying that "Beggars can't be choosers!" :D
Are you sure that it does not exist another graphic editor (With or without *.TGA file format support ...) ?
If GIMP is impossible for you to use, then you'll just have to actually go out and buy Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro. If this is impossible for you, for whatever your reasons, then you just might have to give up on editing the textures in KOTOR.

Sorry Galakmech, and I hate to be negative here, but those are your only options that I can see.
 ChAiNz.2da
02-03-2005, 6:37 PM
Well, for most of KotOR's needs, it does need to support .tga files... make absolute sure of that...

Also, in addition to RedHawke's statements, keep in mind that this game and it's elements were created professionally (on most parts at least ;) ) for mass distribution, and when they were skinning, I guarantee they weren't using a 'freebie' program. To make any adjustments, you're going to need comparable tools to accomplish this. Programs like "MS Paint" etc. just won't hack it....

Though you don't like GIMP, it's still one of the best optioned/outfitted graphic editors available with most every tool you'll need for skinning. Not to mention, free... Big plus on that point...

Maybe perhaps try http://www.downloads.com) (Cnet). They have tons of software, be it Freeware or Shareware, and it's divided into easy to search Categories. Most have reviews as well to get an idea of what earlier 'customers' had to deal with. Just keep in mind the following options:

1) .tga compatibility
2) Alpha Channels
3) Layers capable (though not required, highly recommended)

Hope that helps! :)
 Leviathan
02-05-2005, 6:53 AM
:confused: Thanks a lot for your help ... :(
 Seprithro
02-05-2005, 7:03 AM
at the risk of sounding stupid, you could vist adobe's website and download the free photoshop trial, then you would have 30 days ;) to make your textures
 Leviathan
02-05-2005, 7:09 AM
Humm, why not ?
Thanks for this idea, Seprithro !...
Page: 1 of 1