Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

menus.txt error on startup

Page: 1 of 1
 Shryke2k5
01-28-2005, 5:33 PM
I realize this may be an old discussion (somewhere), but I have done an extensive search both on this forum and on the web and I have yet to find an answer to one of the most irritating problems I have yet come across.

When attempting to run the single player game, the game runs through all the loading procedures and crashes back to the desktop with the message: "default menu file not found: ui/menus.txt, unable to continue!".

My system consists of a Pentium IV 3.1 Ghz, 1GB RAM, latest display and sound drivers, game patched to 1.01 version. All discs are original legitimate copies.

I am no novice to computers, and have been playing games on them for years. I have had problems with the Quake 3 engine before, however, but all the problems in the past related to the OpenGl subsystem, which I suspect might be the problem here in some form or another.

If anyone can offer any advice, I know some other people who would like to hear it too, so lend us a hand if you can. Thanks!
 El Sitherino
01-28-2005, 5:39 PM
Have you tried re-installing?
 shukrallah
01-28-2005, 5:58 PM
Hmmm...

Do you have NO CD Cracks or something like that?

If anyone can offer any advice, I know some other people who would like to hear it too, so lend us a hand if you can. Thanks!

I hate to ask, but have you guys been sharing CDs or something... copying files... installing strange mods? Did the SP Menu ever work? Or have you been messing with the assets files?

Obviously you are missing that file, or the game can't read it.

I have had problems with the Quake 3 engine before, however, but all the problems in the past related to the OpenGl subsystem, which I suspect might be the problem here in some form or another.

If you get the Could Not load Open GL Subsystem error then that means you need a new video card... What card are you using?
 Shryke2k5
01-28-2005, 7:14 PM
Sorry, forget to mention that yes, indeed I did try reinstalling. Same exact error second time around.

This is a clean install, never once been played, straight out of the box and patched to 1.01. Let me paste the contents of the errors below:

PIXELFORMAT: color(32-bits) Z(24-bit) stencil(8-bits)
MODE: 4, 800 x 600 fullscreen hz:60
GAMMA: hardware w/ 0 overbright bits
CPU: Intel Pentium IV
rendering primitives: single glDrawElements
texturemode: GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR
picmip: 1
texture bits: 0
lightmap texture bits: 0
multitexture: enabled
compiled vertex arrays: enabled
texenv add: enabled
compressed textures: enabled
compressed lightmaps: disabled
texture compression method: GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc
anisotropic filtering: enabled (16.000000 of 16.000000)
Dynamic Glow: enabled
WARNING: no shader files found
WARNING: Couldn't find image for shader projectionShadow
WARNING: Couldn't find image for shader sun
WARNING: Couldn't find image for shader gfx/2d/charsgrid_med
WARNING: Couldn't find image for shader white
WARNING: Couldn't find image for shader console

------- sound initialization -------
Initializing DirectSound
locked hardware. ok
WARNING: Couldn't find image for shader menu/new/crosshairb
WARNING: Couldn't find image for shader menu/art/unknownmap
menu file not found: ui/menus.txt, using default
----- CL_Shutdown -----
Shutting down OpenGL subsystem
...wglMakeCurrent( NULL, NULL ): success
...deleting GL context: success
...releasing DC: success
...destroying window
...resetting display
...shutting down QGL
...unloading OpenGL DLL
-----------------------
default menu file not found: ui/menus.txt, unable to continue!

All initialization procedures preceding this information seems error-free, but as you can see, the problem may lie in the files themselves, or with my video card.

I have an Elsa Gladiac 743, Geforce 6600. I have installed the latest Nvidia reference drivers, dated November 2004. I have no problems of any sort running any other games, OpenGl or DirectX.

Thanks for the help so far, guys. Any more ideas?
 Shryke2k5
01-28-2005, 7:36 PM
Just noticed this but, I opened up the .pk3 file and indeed, there was no menus.txt file found in the ui subdirectory. If someone could check their pak files and see if they have it, that would mean my disc is bad, I suppose, or the installer is no good. If you have the menus.txt file, perhaps you could email it to me? I`m really at my wits end here and I`d love to start playing the game - Jedi Knight II was one of my favorite games of all time.

Thanks.
 shukrallah
01-29-2005, 5:12 AM
Check the .pk3 file on the disk to see if its on there. You can extract it and possibly paste it into the proper JKA directory.

WARNING: Couldn't find image for shader menu/new/crosshairb
WARNING: Couldn't find image for shader menu/art/unknownmap

Well it doesn't matter... because it seems ALL the menu files are GONE!

Does Multiplayer work?

WARNING: no shader files found
WARNING: Couldn't find image for shader projectionShadow
WARNING: Couldn't find image for shader sun
WARNING: Couldn't find image for shader gfx/2d/charsgrid_med
WARNING: Couldn't find image for shader white
WARNING: Couldn't find image for shader console

No Shaders? Your CD is really screwed up... Even if it was just the menu.txt preventing the game from loading, several pictures and textures wouldn't appear either.
 El Sitherino
01-29-2005, 5:21 AM
Hmm... I had that problem once, but it was because of a corrupt pk3. I'm not sure how that worked, but when I removed the pk3 I stopped getting that message.
 shukrallah
01-29-2005, 5:29 AM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
Hmm... I had that problem once, but it was because of a corrupt pk3. I'm not sure how that worked, but when I removed the pk3 I stopped getting that message.

Was it one of my maps? Or an original PK3?
 zeppelin_man89
04-21-2009, 6:27 PM
Hey, I realize this may be a lil late, 4 years too late, by the dates of the other posts, but I have a solution to the problem that everybody seems to be having.

1st off, this is to remedy the problem of the "default menu file not found: ui/menus.txt, unable to continue!" error message in the OpenGL sub-system.

To fix this problem, navigate to the "base" folder on the SWJKIIJO disc, find the "assets1.PK3" file. To verify that the 'menus.txt" file is there, open the file in an archive manager (e.g. 7-zip, j-zip, etc..) and locate the "ui" sub-folder. There are all the files that OpenGL is failing to load/find.

Since you cannot, as far as I know, make another PK3 archive file (I hove no clue how to do that... :( ) Just copy that file to the "base" folder in the Jedi Outcast "GameData" directory folder.

Now you have all of the files that it needs. If it doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Page: 1 of 1