Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Help with MdLops

Page: 1 of 1
 sketch42
01-28-2005, 2:43 PM
ok i made my new saber with Svosh's and Seps help but my problem now is getting it in game... ive tried every which way possible and nothings working... the closest ive gotten so far to actually replacing the hilt was that now the original one doesnt show up and i have the blade of the saber ignited in mid air...
it could be just me not understanding the MDLops replacer tut properly and most likely is.. but if someone can walk me through what they think im doing wrong or what i should actually be doing in the final stages from when i have both the ascii mdl and my new hilt together in 3d max
 Darth Stryke
01-28-2005, 2:53 PM
That is actually similar to the problem I am having with my new saber. I'll let ya know once I know what happened to mine to see if it can help you. :D
 cchargin
01-28-2005, 6:49 PM
Hello,

The important things to remember are:

1) 3 things determine the position and orientation of a hilt:
a) The mesh itself
b) The pivot point of the mesh
c) The parent object of the mesh

2) Hilts MUST be linked to the correct dummy object in order to come out right. Look at the original hilt model to find the correct dummy to link to.

3) You MUST link the hilt to the dummy! Not the other way around! The best way to check is to right click the hilt and choose properties. You should see that the hilts parent is the dummy object.

4) Reset xform. I don't really know what magic this does in nwmax, but it makes a lot of things work. In any model you are working on if it comes out funny try selecting the mesh then hitting reset xform then export to ascii again.
 svцsh
01-28-2005, 8:47 PM
One thing I think many people are overlooking maybe cchargin's or my tut is a bit advanced and we assume that you know the program. Sorry if I haven’t stressed this enough but your new hilt no matter its design MUST be a one piece mesh no if and but’s about it, for sabers to work you must use reset xform and fallow the tutorial for aligning.

If you are like me and export your model to .3ds mesh format then later import the default ascii-mdl and then import your model to the scene the first thing you do is hit reset xform with your new model selected to ensure it is aligned with the current scene . Then you fallow the tut for alignment however the experienced person can actually re-align the pivot manly if you know what your doing.

The replace does exactly what I says, It will replace One mesh for another because the original hilt is one mesh your Model has to be one mesh if it’s not… weld it up, perform a Boolean operand on it make it one!! Do not link it but one solid complete mesh.

I hope this helps clear something’s up

svцsh
 sketch42
01-29-2005, 8:07 AM
do i clik export in nwnmax or in 3d max???
 svцsh
01-29-2005, 9:13 AM
Sorry what do you mean ?

Ok what I wrote up above is when I have completed my new mesh model I save a copy by going to File> export as .3ds so I can later import it in a fresh scene the reason I do this is because some times when modeling the world alignment gets a bit messed up. I found the fastest way to fix this is save your .max scene and close max , re-open it. Re-import the default [with anims.] unlinking it and then importing your new mesh, and rigging it.

But when you are finished the model and it’s rigged to the anim dummy and aligned and you have hit reset xform for good measure. You click the Aurora base[ green in max, blue in gmax ] and below the modifier stack on the right in MAX you click export model and geom.

Hope this helps ;)

svцsh
 T7nowhere
01-29-2005, 1:18 PM
Originally posted by sketch42
do i clik export in nwnmax or in 3d max???

Don't click export on nwmax. What you want to do is select the Aurora base and then click the modify tab to the right of the viewport and in the MDL base Parameters rollout you will see the export section. specify a path to export your model to then hit Export Geom only.
Page: 1 of 1