Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Holowan Announcement!

Page: 1 of 1
 T7nowhere
01-23-2005, 9:11 AM
As I'm sure everyone has noticed we now have Four new forums.

The reason will be obvious to many, but with the approach of TSL we would like to increase the usefullness of Holowans Tutorial sections. It is going to take a while to get everything organized so these new forums will remain Closed to posting to all accept moderators. In order to keep the forums clean most likely the Tutorial sections will remain closed to posting indefinitely and any new tutorials posted in Holowan will be added accordenly.

We(moderators) are still working out what is going to work best so don't be supprised if it changes a couple times In the comming week(s)

IF you have any questions, comments or suggestions you can post them here.
 ChAiNz.2da
01-23-2005, 9:35 AM
I for one can say this is going to be VERY helpful. It's the first thing I noticed when I logged on, and I think (or hope) it will cut down on lot of the "how do I, where can I find a, what does this" questions that are in the stickies, but grouped in a manner where it's easy to overlook. The specific subject of the Forum I believe will definitely help the modders (and curious) find what they were looking for within a few clicks. Who knows, it may even lessen the burden of the Search Engine Bandwidth problems Holowan had in the past. :)

I may catch 'slack' from this, but I would almost vote to Keep Them Locked indefinitely. No straying off-topic, no tutorials that aren't related or vague, etc.

In the past you moderators have done an excellent job of 'qualifying' what rates as a Sticky. I have no doubt in my mind that you'll continue to not let us down.

Trust us, we will let you know what we would like to see as a sticky (politely of course) and as demonstrated here on a regular basis, the helpful posts always get "glowing" reviews, not too hard to determine a "stickiness" nod-over value ;)

The new updates look fantastic, not to mention make Holowan look kewl as hell! People looking over my shoulder might even think I'm a real modder that knows what their doing looking at a well-organized forum such as Holowan.. heheh :thumbsup:
 TemporaryTomato
01-23-2005, 11:46 AM
ChAiNz said it all. :p

I have a suggestion, though. What about a release forum?
Only for posting finished mods. It might keep those threads from "disappearing" amongst all the other threads.
:guybrush:
 Darth333
01-23-2005, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by TemporaryTomato

Only for posting finished mods. It might keep those threads from "disappearing" amongst all the other threads.
We thought about doing this. One of the reasons why it was not done was that when the releases are mixed with the other threads it can encourage some people who would probably only think of downloading mods to try modding. By looking at the other threads, they can see that modding is for everyone, prior experience or not. But we are still opened to suggestions :)

BTW, if anyone wishes to submit new tutorials or suggest changes to existing tutorials, just post it in the regular Holowan labs and PM a moderator about it :)

If you have suggestions concerning the forums in general you can post them here (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=584)
 ChAiNz.2da
01-23-2005, 11:54 AM

I really like this idea! It would definitely help the newcomer find what's been released...and a good "point to" thread for all of the Mod Requesters that may have requested a mod already made...

Nice suggestion TemporaryTomato :thumbsup:

::EDIT::
I can understand your viewpoint too Darth333. The more modders the better definitely! Being a very supportive forum though was what encouraged me to start modding. I knew if I tried modding and got stuck, I could always ask questions here and be assured they would get answered in most cases.

I hope that we don't give a "don't mod because we already did it or can do it quicker" vibe to potential modders, that would be horrible :( But I think the overall community seems to encourage others to try.
I know for a fact that some mods here (including my own) have started new-found modders just by wanting to "alter" an existing mod (me "copy-cat-ing" svцsh for example).

So in the New & Improved Holowan "infancy" I'm sure we would all like to say to all the newcomers (and lurkers ;) )...

Please join us in modding :)
 TemporaryTomato
01-23-2005, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Darth333
We thought about doing this. One of the reasons why it was not done was that when the releases are mixed with the other threads it can encourage some people who would probably only think of downloading mods to try modding. By looking at the other threads, they can see that modding is opened to everyone, prior knowledge or not. But we are still opened to suggestions and thought concerning this are welcomed :)

Well, they would see the "mod in progress" threads etc since they have to look at the main forum before going to "Releases". And with all those "Tutorial" links at the top of the page, there should be plenty of encouragement. :D
 Darth Stryke
01-23-2005, 5:39 PM
Perhaps instead of a "Release" forum, just do an update to the mod download thread and get rid of the outdated info or perhaps even hold a mod contest or two for TSL a few weeks after release to get people interested.

EDIT: Going further with the idea of a TSL mod contest a bit after the PC version comes out, the forum moderators here could be the judges and perhaps the prize would be maybe a place in the next Holowan Mod (as a character or something in game) Not sure, just thought it might be cool.
 Mav
01-23-2005, 5:44 PM
Personally I think the new forums were great, but I don't think a "New Mods Released Forum" is absolutely necessary, just when I think I'll get back into modding because I have the time now(done with college apps HOOORAYYYY), my game stops working... GRRRRRR :mad: (see the troubleshooting forum if you want to help :D), oh well, great ideas!
 T7nowhere
01-23-2005, 6:03 PM
Originally posted by BoL_Stryke
Perhaps instead of a "Release" forum, just do an update to the mod download thread and get rid of the outdated info or

I don't see the point of a release forum. If ysomeone just want to see what new mods are availible you can generally go to PCGM or Lucasfiles. There are some modders like myself that prefer to host mods on a personal site. I have intended to post my mods on pcgm and lucasfiles(things just keep getting inthe way) Its easyer to update a mod on my site though.

Anyway, yes I know I really need to update the tools and mods thread. But i'll leave that until after were finnished with the tutorials.

perhaps even hold a mod contest or two for TSL a few weeks after release to get people interested.

Something like like that has been suggested by a LucasFiles Staff member, but so far nothing has been said for certain. I do like the idea of some friendly competition. :)
 Darkkender
01-23-2005, 10:57 PM
I for one am in complete agreement with chainz.2da leave them locked but not indefinete but permanent. It keeps those clean as resource links to the threads that are not locked. If somebody has a question about a specific tutorial they can ask it on that tutorials thread. Thus our resource threads like those load quicker for those on dialup and the threads never get off topic.

by the by I for one am very glad to see these I already have found them useful when I logged on this morning it was actually to copy one of the tut's and it being right there out of the clear blue was a blessing.
 Boba Rhett
01-23-2005, 11:08 PM
It's aaaaaall coming together. :dev11:
 RedHawke
01-23-2005, 11:53 PM
I'm with what Darkkender said above as the new forums should be like the Ancient Egyptians said the Stargate was... sealed for all time... er'... sorry I just got Seasons 1-5 of Stargate SG-1 on DVD so it is on my brain! :D

They should be permanently locked so only the moderators can create threads there, posting/moving our tutorials threads there themselves, it will keep things in a better sense of order, and it would ease finding things as they expand.

Just my 2 cents... er'... Jaffa Kree! :D
 Prime
01-24-2005, 7:46 AM
Originally posted by T7nowhere
I don't see the point of a release forum. If ysomeone just want to see what new mods are availible you can generally go to PCGM or Lucasfiles. Indeed. Holowan is intended for the discussion of modding, not to be solely a "download this" site. That purpose is better served by places like pcgamemods.com, lucasfiles.com, and personal sites.

In regards modding contest judged by moderators, for those who would like to get a jump on bribing me, I like money and a wide assortment of cookies.
 Darkkender
01-24-2005, 8:41 AM
*shakes fist at redhawke in jelousy.* then skulls off into silence to ponder on saving money for all of the released episodes of sg-1.

As to the release thread idea I am in complete agreance with the moderators We Don't need it. The mod hosting sites do that well enough that and they keep the mods around even when the modders up and vanish for good. Besides we already have a tools and downloads sticky that T7 already has plans to update.
 tk102
01-24-2005, 8:55 AM
T7 quipped:
IF you have any questions, comments or suggestions you can post them hereand Darth333 whispered:
BTW, if anyone wishes to submit new tutorials or suggest changes to existing tutorials, just post it in the regular Holowan labs and PM a moderator about it
Since my um, promotion, was coordinated with the addition of these new tutorial forums, they have been in the forefront of my mind. I am planning on rewriting old tutorials and even writing brand new ones, so this is the perfect time to give feedback as to what you think would be most helpful.
 Hades_One
01-24-2005, 9:27 AM
I love this. This place is definitely getting better and better. :D

As for making the tutorials better, I know some of the NWN tutorials have been made with .WMV files showing how the process works. I don't know how feasible it is in the case of KotOR 1 and 2 but its an idea.
 TemporaryTomato
01-24-2005, 9:53 AM
Originally posted by Hades_One
I love this. This place is definitely getting better and better. :D

As for making the tutorials better, I know some of the NWN tutorials have been made with .WMV files showing how the process works. I don't know how feasible it is in the case of KotOR 1 and 2 but its an idea.
Video tutorials... good idea!
I could make some "simple recolor" or "new item creation" tuts. Lame, but meh. ;)
 ChAiNz.2da
01-24-2005, 10:10 AM
Video tutorials... good idea!
Even if it's not video, pictures are worth a thousand words. The tutorial that T7 recently posted (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=143268) was extremely helpful...

More like that would be nice, and it's less of a pain to create (I get enough of making video at work) :rolleyes: :D
 TemporaryTomato
01-24-2005, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by ChAiNz.2da
Even if it's not video, pictures are worth a thousand words. The tutorial that T7 recently posted (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=143268) was extrememly helpful...

More like that would be nice, and it's less of a pain to create (I get enough of making video at work) :rolleyes: :D
Yeah, "a picture is worth more than a 1000 words". Video tuts are even more "noob friendly" though.
All you really need to make video tutorials is Fraps and Windows Movie Maker. Or similar progs. :p
 Mav
01-24-2005, 8:17 PM
Man, if there was a tutorial for modeling your own lightsaber hilts, with pictures, or even better a movie, it would make it a lot easier for me..... If I could ever find enogh time, meh, anyway congrats, tk102 for making moderator, don't know how long ago you made it, but congrats! you deserve it.
 Darth333
01-25-2005, 7:22 PM
Just a small update in case you wondered where some of the old stickies went.

The contents of the "List of downloads: tools and mods" and the "Guide for the Newbie" have been splitted as follows:

a list of websites: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=143413) ( Where can I find mods - stuck at Holowan (just Pm a moderator if you want to add your site)
a short introduction to modding + a list of tools in the General tutorial forum: Getting started with modding: tools + downloads (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=143421) has been posted in the General tutorials forum.
How to install mods? (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=143422) (this is NOT an alternative to not inlcuding areadme with your mod :sign2: )
Check the tutorial forums, new tutorials are being added everyday and old ones are being reviewed and updated. However, a lot of work remains to be done and if you want to give a hand at making some tutorials, just PM one of us :)

...and thanks for all the positive feedback :)
Page: 1 of 1