Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

How to recruit an npc in less than 10 steps

Page: 2 of 2
 Darth333
11-18-2004, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by magnet
No, my mouse pointer is fine. It's just that I cannot add my new npc because all the portraits are black outlines and I cannot select Carth (who I chose to replace).
I am using the script from this thread
Ah I think I misread the first time. You cannot select Carth because he is no longer in your party. The script already replaced him. I guess the portrait is black because you either referred to the wrong portraits.2da line in your .utc, saved the .tga files for your new npc with the wrong format or missed something in portraits.2da. But even if you have no portrait, the Party selection screenshould work. When you click where Carth is supposed to be, what happens?

...and btw, you could have problems later in the game if you replace Carth at this stage.
 Darkkender
11-18-2004, 2:26 PM
if the portrait is showing black and not white then odds are you have the utc pointing to a non-existent line in the 2da. Does your game crash if you click on the photo or do you just not get to choose anything?

I would also remove the clearallactions line in the script and see if the script works without it.

Now you mentioned your npc not being spawned. Do you mean added or are you looking for your npc to just appear without ever having appeared before?
 magnet
11-20-2004, 4:39 AM
I cannot select the portrait and so my new character is not added.
Btw Darth 333, I have changed the script to replace T3-M4 later on in in the game.
I'll try removing the clearallactions line in the script. Thanks for the help
 Darth333
11-20-2004, 4:42 AM
I cannot select the portrait and so my new character is not added.
Btw Darth 333, I have changed the script to replace T3-M4 later on in in the game.
I'll try removing the clearallactions line in the script. Thanks for the help
The clearallactions is not the problem. It is very likely something else. If you want me to review your files, PM me and I'll send you my e-mail address.
 magnet
11-20-2004, 6:28 AM
I have discovered the problem and finally succeded!!!!!!!
I was attempting to recruit the npc with the character i was replacing in my party at the time. This meant that their portrait blocked out my new npc on the select party screen.
Now I just need to know how to take a screenshot ingame. Can anyone help?
 Darkkender
11-20-2004, 6:38 AM
what you will need to do is enable screenshots in your swkotor.ini file it is a check under the seting up cheats. then you will push the printscreen key go into either gimp or photoshop and import from clipboard and edit it accordingly.
 magnet
11-20-2004, 6:41 AM
What is the print screen button
 Darkkender
11-20-2004, 6:46 AM
on the keyboard there should be a cluster of either 9 or 3 buttons it will be in the top row of the 9 or in the single row. the other buttons in this row are scroll lock and pause/break

they would be above the insert-home-pageup buttons
 Darth333
11-20-2004, 6:49 AM
To enable screenshots:

1. Open your "swkotor.ini" file located in the game's root directory "SWKotOR".

2 under [Game Options] change the 0 for a 1 in the EnableScreenShot line so you end up with this:

EnableScreenShot=1

Save your file and make sure it has the ".ini" extension and not ".txt".

You can hit the print screen key (normally a key located near the top right corner of your keyboard - on an English Keyboard it says "Prt Scr" sometimes but this may vary with the keyboard manufacturer)

Pasting your image in Paint will do.

Personally, when I take a series of screenshots, I like to use Reclip: http://lockettefamily.com/reclip.htm)
 magnet
11-20-2004, 6:49 AM
Thanks. I didnt notice that.
 Darkkender
11-20-2004, 7:13 AM
your welcome
 magnet
11-20-2004, 8:31 AM
what progams support tga files
 Mono_Giganto
11-20-2004, 8:38 AM
what progams support tga files

Just about any photo editor, IE Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, Picture It... Etc. MS Paint doesn't though.
 Darth333
11-20-2004, 9:17 AM
Jeez! this is getting off-topic. Don't be surprised if a few posts disappear later on! :rolleyes:

magnet this info was already available in the tutorial at "step 6 --> take a photo of your npc :D "

You can find further details in the Guide for the Newbie Sticky.
 Shrub91
01-09-2005, 3:01 PM
Darth333 can you post a ".nss" file that spawns an enemy sith soldier?
 tk102
01-09-2005, 3:07 PM
Impersonating Darth333:

void main() {
CreateObject(
OBJECT_TYPE_CREATURE,
"n_sithsoldier",
GetLocation(GetFirstPC())
);
}
 Shrub91
01-09-2005, 4:02 PM
Kool! Thanks TK you're the best!
 noname35
02-25-2012, 3:46 PM
I've used this tutorial to try and recruit 2 npcs now. The first was Calo, but since a fight was inevitable with him, I gave up. I recently tried to recruit Bendak. I blew threw it but in game nothing happened because the dlg editor isn't changing anything. Any ideas?
 Sithspecter
02-25-2012, 4:07 PM
Are you using the DLG editor in the Kotor Tool, or tk102's DLGEditor? Also, if you've already been to the module where Bendak is before you changed anything, it won't work.
 noname35
02-25-2012, 4:10 PM
tk's DLG editor and I started a new game just to test
Page: 2 of 2