Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Why in the heck are they using the Galactic Civil War?

Page: 2 of 2
 lukeiamyourdad
01-21-2005, 5:25 PM
oy...

Now, for people who have played KOTOR ONCE and never made a decent comparison between it and the movies, I'll do it for you.

KOTOR-You play a Jedi hero with a dark heritage.
MOVIES-Luke Skywalker is a Jedi hero who has a dark heritage.

KOTOR-There is a Jedi princess(Bastilla Shan), the hope of the galaxy, that you must rescue from thugs.
MOVIES-Leia is a princess that was rescued from the Empire.

KOTOR-A scoundrel(Mission Vao) who's accompanied by a Wookiee(Zaalbar).
MOVIES-A scoundrel(Han Solo) who's accompanied by a Wookiee(Chewbacca).

KOTOR-A protocol droid(Hk-47) and an astromech droid(T3-M4).
MOVIES-A protocol droid(C3PO) and an astromech droid(R2-D2).

KOTOR-A villain with an unknown injurie(Darth Malak).
MOVIES-A villain with an unkown injurie(until ep3, Darth Vader).

KOTOR-Republic forces fight masked Sith Soldiers.
MOVIES-Rebel forces fight masked Imperial Soldiers.

Note here that the Republic soldier's helmet in KOTOR is almost the same as the Rebel trooper's on the Tantive IV.

KOTOR-A hutt that organises the races on Tatooine.
MOVIES-Jabba organises the race in Ep1.

KOTOR-An apprentice to the Dark Lord of the Sith who wields a double bladed lightsaber(Darth Bandon).
MOVIES-An apprentice to the Dark Lord of the Sith who wields a double bladed lightsaber(Darth Maul).

KOTOR-Swarms of endless Sith fighters.
MOVIES-Swarms of endless Tie fighter.

Do I need to go further?
 stingerhs
01-21-2005, 6:53 PM
Originally posted by DK_Viceroy
I don't see Sith Fighters in Ep's 1 through 6 yet I see TIE Fighters in NJO:p
if you really want to go that far, please realize that kotor takes place almost 5000 years before the movies. NJO starts almost immidiately after Ep VI. now, do you really think that you'd see 5000 year old fighters in the movies??? that's just absurd.

now, it actually makes sense to see TIE's in NJO because there's pretty much no time difference: TIE's are recent technology.

overall, that's one really bad comparison on your part.
 swphreak
01-21-2005, 7:52 PM
Actually, the NJO takes place at least a minimum of 20 years after the movies.

Kotor did get some things from the EU and movies. There were a bunch of TotJ comments in the Kotor games.

They could easily make an NJO or EU (post ROTJ) game similar to Kotor. Perhaps KotNR.

Now back to the topic.

Star Destroyers > Republic Troopships.
 Jan Gaarni
01-21-2005, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by StarWarsPhreak
Actually, the NJO takes place at least a minimum of 20 years after the movies.

Compared to when the KotOR events took place in relations to the OT, the NJO took place "immediatly" after RotJ, which is what I think he ment by that. :)

And KotOr takes place nearly 4000 years before the movies. ;)
 H0WARD
02-10-2005, 4:20 PM
To answer the question first stated directly... why the Galactic Civil War? well, that's easy. The fights are better, and, aside from that, the Clone Wars was defiled by Cartoon Network's little gamble. Plus Episode I and II were insignificant next to the power of the OT... I find your lack of faith disturbing.:vadar:
 Screed
02-10-2005, 7:39 PM
Originally posted by boranchistanger
the greatest military genius of all time General Grevious led the Seperatist forces.
-Boran

You sir, have obviously never heard of Grand Admiral Thrawn, or General Garm Bel Iblis.

Thrawn being THE greatest military mind ever concieved of.
 Dagobahn Eagle
03-04-2005, 5:40 PM
So did the Republic. The clones were very capable of free-thinking, that was why, after all, they were superior to droids.
Duh. I don't get the reasoning about clones being inferior to other humans. So you're identical to someone else, big deal.:rolleyes:

When people do get cloned, they'll get mistreated, have their rights taken away, and handled like sub-humans. Humans just never learn and need a minority group to pick on...:o

Back on topic:
They chose the Civil War because Episode I and II are widely regarded as horrible movies. Plain and simple. Episode 4 and 5, and to a degree Episode 6, had atmosphere, deep characters, and a fantastic mixture of fairy-tale/fantasy and science fiction. Whereas Episode 1 and 2 had horribly shallow characters, a Hollywood-style plot, and other weaknesses. It was just like every other movie in the genre (even the Force was explained away scientifically, DIE Script-writers!) Episodes 4-6 "pwn" 1 and 2. Any day.

Rebels=Pitful guerrila? Cough, Yavin IV, Cough, Endor, Cough...
 Shok_Tinoktin
03-04-2005, 6:09 PM
Originally posted by Dagobahn Eagle
Duh. I don't get the reasoning about clones being inferior to other humans. So you're identical to someone else, big deal.:rolleyes:

For clones like Boba, yes I agree. The difference for clone troopers is that they are not identical to someone else (well, each other I guess), they have reduced independence, growth acceleration, and who knows what else.

(even the Force was explained away scientifically, DIE Script-writers!)

Not really. The force is still as mysterious as always, midichlorians are just like a middle man or translator between sentients and the force.
 jokemaster
03-04-2005, 7:32 PM

When people do get cloned, they'll get mistreated, have their rights taken away, and handled like sub-humans. Humans just never learn and need a minority group to pick on...:o

Back on topic:
They chose the Civil War because Episode I and II are widely regarded as horrible movies. Plain and simple. Episode 4 and 5, and to a degree Episode 6, had atmosphere, deep characters, and a fantastic mixture of fairy-tale/fantasy and science fiction. Whereas Episode 1 and 2 had horribly shallow characters, a Hollywood-style plot, and other weaknesses. It was just like every other movie in the genre (even the Force was explained away scientifically, DIE Script-writers!) Episodes 4-6 "pwn" 1 and 2. Any day.

Rebels=Pitful guerrila? Cough, Yavin IV, Cough, Endor, Cough...
I don't see why Eps 1 and 2 are regarded as horrible films. Inferior yes, but not horrible. I mean, let's compare how the 5 Star Wars movies have gone so far compared to, say, Rocky.

Also at Yavin and especially at Endor they used guerilla tactics, it's the nature of the battle, not something wrong with them.
Page: 2 of 2