Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Jedi: What role will they play if any!!

Page: 1 of 2
 FroZticles
01-05-2005, 2:14 PM
Since the RTS is set when most of the Republic Jedi are all dead. Some might be alive but if they reveal themselves will be struck down by Vader.

What do you think/hope Jedi will play in this new RTS?
 OverlordAngelus
01-05-2005, 3:48 PM
Maybe every time the player attacks a planet, there is a random chance of finding a Jedi.

When playing as the Rebels, the Jedi could come out of hiding to help. They would be fairly powerful but if the player uses him too much, it might attract the attention of Darth Vader, who would bring massive reinforcements with him.

When playing as the Empire, the Jedi wouldn't be visible but if you suspect that a Jedi is causing you trouble, you can summon Darth Vader. However if you do that and there's no Jedi present, he won't be too pleased with you...
 FroZticles
01-05-2005, 5:56 PM
Why would a Jedi come out of hiding and put themselves at risk?

Maybe give them the ability to disguise themselves on the map. But if Vader or Palpatine get close enough he is revealed and a duel breaks out?
 BeBop
01-05-2005, 6:18 PM
Disquise is an interesting idea. After all luke wore trooper armor, Obi-Wan wore Clone armor in the Clone Wars Mini Series. Though once they pull out their lightsaber.. it's given away. It's possible that Jedi will be in the game. As was stated there is a little Episode III crossover. Whos to say that some of the game doesn't occur when the remaining Jedi are being hunted down.
 Pho3nix
01-06-2005, 2:20 AM
Well, probably the same as in Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds. They will act the role of "priests" they can convert units and heal etc.
 FroZticles
01-06-2005, 4:13 AM
For the sake of realism and gameplay I hope not. They did not heal in SWGB.

Maybe they give leadership bonuses and give guideance to there army. So a Jedi disguised as a rebel trooper would give his surrounding troops a bonus. They would have increased attack and defences. They could also be a flexible unit becoming anything such as a pilot, troop, or commando. I was thinking perhaps the spy system in RA2 where you clicked on a unit and he turned into it. He could also cross over to the enemy lines and influence the enemies troops to have poor aim and decrease there stats. Of course disguising himself as a stormtrooper.

They would have to add a system in where detectability would be a factor a special bar on the Jedi where if it reaches 100% he is detected and the bar would also lower itself over time. If he/she used a Jedi power in front of enemies or used his powers to much and Vader senses it, it gives your enemy to the ability to call Vader to destroy the Jedi. Vader would be on a timer like 2 minutes to kill him and the player with the Jedi would not be warned unless they saw there bar hit 100% or they see Vader/enemy units coming to own your Jedi otherwise it would decrease like normal. (Vader would be able to see the Jedi anywhere on the map). Once the Jedi dies a bonus or resources would be given even if it is not Vader who kills him but he must be detected as a Jedi first before any bonus or credits would be given because otherwise it would just look like another regular unit has fallen.

Example: using a power like stealth or force speed would keep driving your detect bar up until you hit 100% but if you stop using it before it maxes out, it will lower in time. A power like push or convert would just take it up to 50% each time you use it if there are enemy witnesses you have a short window to mind trick them before Vader is immediately available. This would also limit power spamming and have players wary that there Jedi is not a super unit because you have to keep watch or your enemy will have Vader in there control.

Ranks for your Jedi would also be a factor since it is set where there is no Jedi training or anything a Jedi learns things for himself. I don't know the names of the ranks or if they would just use rank 1-10 or 1-5 or 1-3. The higher rank you are the more chance at once Vader comes to duel you the better chance you have at striking him down. Unless you want to back your Jedi up with a full Rebel strike team but I'm sure they could find ways to make it once Vader approaches the Jedi that only they will be dueling with no outside interference.

Naming your Jedi in the game would be kind of cool. Just a nice feature since his name would not be Jedi. They could also use a random system generation. Gender and species would be random also but human would have a better chance at popping up then lets say zabrak.

Also what would a Jedi be without his Light Saber. Although pulling this out in front of enemies would not be the wisest thing to do but if Vader is alerted to your presence all is fair and the robe is put on the saber is ignited and yes folks the saber duel commences. I have no idea what would happen if Vader is killed maybe the Jedi unlocks a rank that can only be gained through killing Vader or Palpatine shows up blasts the Jedi to hell. We can speculate on what would happen if Vader is killed.....

Just an idea hope you like. If you don't want to read it fine I just went typing crazy.....
 Nokill
01-06-2005, 4:49 AM
thay will hopefully not play a role jedi's are not nice in games like these :(
 Prime
01-06-2005, 6:19 AM
I hope there are no Jedi in this game.
 AckbarNL
01-06-2005, 7:24 AM
if jedi are in game thay will probly act like hero's whit some unlike
abilities , like in BFME... palpy would have lightning and darth vader would have force grip/leadership for exsample.
 lukeiamyourdad
01-06-2005, 7:47 AM
You'll probably have heroes that are Jedi. As for buildable or recruitable Jedi, I'd rather they didn't exist at all since the context permits it.
 FroZticles
01-06-2005, 2:59 PM
Jedi would be hard to get since they are extremely rare in this timeframe. I don't want buildable Jedi either but I'm sure they will smuggle Jedi in the game somehow.
 Prime
01-07-2005, 5:42 AM
Originally posted by FroZticles
Jedi would be hard to get since they are extremely rare in this timeframe. That's what they said about Galaxies! And look at what happened to that. :)
 lukeiamyourdad
01-07-2005, 8:05 AM
Well the situation of an RTS is way different. If balanced correctly, you can't spam them.

Galaxies is another story. Jedi are uber warriors that everyone wanted to be. Besides, this is a game that's going to be made by former Westwood employees, not the people who rammed EQ and SWG into the ground.
 FroZticles
01-07-2005, 2:09 PM
Don't even get me started on Galaxies :rolleyes:
 darthfergie
01-07-2005, 4:23 PM
lol, SWG...

hmmm...well...I definitely agree with you guys. Having Jedi as trainable units was just odd anyway, I'd rather them not play a MAJOR MAJOR role.
In fact I'd rather see as few as possible...and those only as hero units.
A Darth Vader here, and an Obi-Wan there...etc
 Prime
01-08-2005, 7:22 AM
Originally posted by lukeiamyourdad
Well the situation of an RTS is way different. Of course. But in any event, I just wish they would just leave the Jedi out of OT era games altogether.
 FroZticles
01-08-2005, 1:54 PM
Jedi still exist in the OT but you just don't see them except for Yoda and Obi-Wan. If those 2 can survive with no problems I'm sure others would have as well.
 DK_Viceroy
01-08-2005, 3:17 PM
It's not impossible and we've all sen how "effective" the empire is at crushing rebellious groups don't we :rolleyes: I mean Endor was a shining example of how effective they are at it
 Alegis
01-08-2005, 9:32 PM
Originally posted by Prime
Of course. But in any event, I just wish they would just leave the Jedi out of OT era games altogether.
Exactly. It's FULL with jedi in the clone wars, but no other jedi in OT than Luke, Obi and Yoda on the screen.

Though I probably guess each side will have one hero, vader and luke. A special unit with lots of HP
 FroZticles
01-09-2005, 12:51 AM
It is still possible for other Jedi to exist in the OT besides the ones we saw in the films. They said that Vader was the only one in the galaxy left with the knowledge of the force but Yoda had managed to slip under the radar and not get killed.
 OverlordAngelus
01-09-2005, 7:33 AM
Maybe they can include Jedi characters to be used in the scenario editor (like the various extra characters included with gb) but not the main campaign.
 FroZticles
01-09-2005, 3:00 PM
Well it all depends on who we see die in RotS.
 lukeiamyourdad
01-09-2005, 5:16 PM
Well it all depends on who we see die in RotS.

Well everyone except the Jedi in the OT. Or the serie will face a massive continuity error.
 Ranre
01-09-2005, 5:47 PM
I think that it might be too big of hassle to have Jedi in this game.

First thing if your the Imps and you find a jedi he better be very powerful or he'd die very quickly.

How ever if your the rebels then it might be too big of deal to have the Imps attacking your jedi.
 FroZticles
01-09-2005, 5:54 PM
Take SWGB for example they bought Echuu Shen Jon in the campaigns to help Leia.

Imperials will attack your Jedi anyways because he is an enemy unit on the battlefield.
 lukeiamyourdad
01-09-2005, 6:13 PM
Yeah but they could have done the campaign without him and it was a continuity error.
 FroZticles
01-10-2005, 2:05 AM
To you maybe but have you ever wondered what happens between New Hope and Before the Empire strikes back. I don't know where it screws up continuity.
 Prime
01-10-2005, 8:17 AM
It is still possible for other Jedi to exist in the OT besides the ones we saw in the films. They said that Vader was the only one in the galaxy left with the knowledge of the force but Yoda had managed to slip under the radar and not get killed. It is possible that they exist. However, they will all be in hiding and never exposing themselves as Jedi. The Emperor went out of his way (i.e. is extremely fanatical about) destroying or controlling any and all force users. If a Jedi were to pop up and start using his powers to battle the Empire, the Emperor and his minions would hunt them down with extreme prejudice. That is why Kenobi and Yoda and anyone else went into hiding. If it wasn't dangerous to show oneself as a Jedi, they (along with any other Jedi) would have been fighting with the Rebellion years before ANH. Are you suggesting they were on vacation or just didn't feel like fighting the Empire? If Imperial troops discovered a Jedi on the battlefield, said Jedi would then be subjected to the full might of the Empire.

That is why it is completely inappropriate and a continuity error to have full-fledged Jedi on the battlefield in an OT era game.
 CodeDrifter
01-11-2005, 8:52 PM
If you ask me they should just have Luke and Vader. And this is coming from a self-prophessed Jedi fanboy.

My reasoning is though Palps and Yoda are around Palps would never be on the frontlines and Yoda's still on Dagobah.
 El Sitherino
01-12-2005, 8:22 AM
Well everyone except the Jedi in the OT. Or the serie will face a massive continuity error. or perhaps others might have lived, they just stay hidden, I mean it's not like they really mattered to the story in the OT anyway, so they may have been left out, off screen, whatever you wanna say. ;)

Anyway, I agree with Prime, I think Jedi should not be included in the game, or atleast not ones we didn't see in the movie. Maybe just Obi-Wan and Luke, and possibly Yoda.
 lukeiamyourdad
01-12-2005, 1:18 PM
Well, Luke and Leia wouldn't be the last hopes then would they?
If the Force indeeds pushes a restart button for the Jedi everything x amount of years, it would not really be a fully new beginning then, if all the vestiges of the Old Jedi order are not erased.

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=141281&perpage=40&pagenumber=1)
 FroZticles
01-16-2005, 1:49 PM
No thats not true Luke and Leia are still the last hopes because Obi-Wan and Yoda only know they are the last of the Jedi. More could exist somewhere in the galaxy but keep hidden. Also Luke is the only one who could draw the good back out of Vader no other regular Jedi could.
 Augustus_Leto
01-16-2005, 6:41 PM
Seeing as how complex and heated this argument is going, I really think the Jedi should be left out. Like everyone's saying, they'd have to be superhuman to survive in this game, but they aren't. They couldn't cut down an AT-AT in real life so they shouldn't be in fights where AT-AT's exist. They should just be left out this time around, we've had enough Jedi games; we need more trooper games like Battlefront.
 Kroven
01-17-2005, 5:30 AM
sounds good, would be nice to have jedis with:D
 El Sitherino
01-17-2005, 6:33 AM
Well, Luke and Leia wouldn't be the last hopes then would they?
If the Force indeeds pushes a restart button for the Jedi everything x amount of years, it would not really be a fully new beginning then, if all the vestiges of the Old Jedi order are not erased.
Luke and Leia were the last hopes because they were the only ones that could be capable of defeating Vader and Palpatine. Skywalker blood and all that, remember the force is strong in their family.
 Admiral Vostok
01-17-2005, 12:01 PM
Jedi should definitely not be in the game. The Republic was the only faction that employed Jedi on the battle field in significant numbers, and they aren't in this game. Sure Jedi are fun in a game but you have to draw the line between gameplay and realism somewhere.

And to those who say it is possible there are other Jedi hiding, I disagree. The prophecy says Anakin Skywalker will bring the Force back into balance; what this means is that there will be only two Sith (as there have always been) in Sidious/Palpatine and Vader, and to balance them two Jedi in Yoda and Obi-Wan. As lukeiamyourdad said, if there were other Jedi in hiding then Luke/Leia would not be the Jedi's last hope.
 DK_Viceroy
01-18-2005, 1:14 AM
but Vostok are those jedi in the same position as Luke and Leia?

In terms of being highly desired by the Emporer while other Jedi are merely target practise?

Your Purism betrays you, you take everything so literally. I have yet to read the book that mentions the tree form Jedi Master on Ossuss, but obviously that Jedi would b in no position to slay the emporer and thrust the empire into dis-array as the Battle on Endor did.
 Kryllith
01-18-2005, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Augustus_Leto
Seeing as how complex and heated this argument is going, I really think the Jedi should be left out. Like everyone's saying, they'd have to be superhuman to survive in this game, but they aren't. They couldn't cut down an AT-AT in real life so they shouldn't be in fights where AT-AT's exist. They should just be left out this time around, we've had enough Jedi games; we need more trooper games like Battlefront.

Seems to me Luke did pretty well single-handedly against an AT-AT... Maybe the jedi just need cary magnetic grapplers and thermo detonators.

My 2 cents: The Jedi/Sith from the movies should be in the game as hero units, Luke and Vader certainly, and possibly Obi-wan, Yoda, and Palpatine as well in a smaller capacity. I don't have a problem with the revelation of hidden Jedi (such as Echuu) given the expansion across different planets, but it should be kept to a minimum (campaigns only)...

Kryllith
 El Sitherino
01-18-2005, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Admiral Vostok
As lukeiamyourdad said, if there were other Jedi in hiding then Luke/Leia would not be the Jedi's last hope.

Originally posted by InsaneSith
Luke and Leia were the last hopes because they were the only ones that could be capable of defeating Vader and Palpatine. Skywalker blood and all that, remember the force is strong in their family.
 CodeDrifter
01-19-2005, 4:21 PM

And to those who say it is possible there are other Jedi hiding, I disagree. The prophecy says Anakin Skywalker will bring the Force back into balance; what this means is that there will be only two Sith (as there have always been) in Sidious/Palpatine and Vader, and to balance them two Jedi in Yoda and Obi-Wan. As lukeiamyourdad said, if there were other Jedi in hiding then Luke/Leia would not be the Jedi's last hope.

Lucas doesn't mean equal numbers by balance. He means that the Sith are a cancer on the Force creating imbalance whereas the Jedi live in peace with the Force's will thus, they don't upset the balance
 DK_Viceroy
01-20-2005, 12:10 AM
I never thought Vostok would dig himself into a hole so early:p

I thought he was far more careful that that:rolleyes:
 Prime
01-20-2005, 6:50 AM
The prophecy says Anakin Skywalker will bring the Force back into balance; what this means is that there will be only two Sith (as there have always been) in Sidious/Palpatine and Vader, and to balance them two Jedi in Yoda and Obi-Wan. As lukeiamyourdad said, if there were other Jedi in hiding then Luke/Leia would not be the Jedi's last hope. I don't think the meaning of "bring balance to the Force" has been clarified enough for you to make that statement. Actually, you are the first person I've seen to take that view of its meaning.
 Kryllith
01-20-2005, 7:58 AM
Actually I've argued the same point several times on the SW forums...

Kryllith
 lonepadawan
01-20-2005, 8:12 AM
The prophecy says Anakin Skywalker will bring the Force back into balance; what this means is that there will be only two Sith (as there have always been) in Sidious/Palpatine and Vader, and to balance them two Jedi in Yoda and Obi-Wan. As lukeiamyourdad said, if there were other Jedi in hiding then Luke/Leia would not be the Jedi's last hope.

Lucas has said that the force is bought back into balance when Palpatine is destroyed...

And if your theory is correct... how does that work if all that is left is 1 jedi... is the force OUT of balance again?
 OverlordAngelus
01-20-2005, 9:08 AM
For that matter, you'll even be able to recruit powerful hero characters for your armies, including legendary Jedi, such as the fearsome Sith lord Darth Vader.

That was from the gamespot article.

Given the nature of the game, I suspect you can assign a hero character to a planet or a fleet and if they're present at a location where a battle starts, they can be used to influence the outcome but if they're somewhere else, you can't use them.
 Kryllith
01-21-2005, 4:47 PM
Originally posted by lonepadawan
Lucas has said that the force is bought back into balance when Palpatine is destroyed...

And if your theory is correct... how does that work if all that is left is 1 jedi... is the force OUT of balance again?

Could be, balance is a tricky thing. But then, we're talking about a sole surviving Jedi with a lot of gray area. Luke has a fair amount of control issues, he uses Darkside powers (force choking Gammorian guards), and he basically draws upon the darkside to defeat Vader on combat; he's not a shining example of what a Lightside Jedi is.

Perhaps that's why the Force could be in balance with him being the sole survivor. The Sith thrive upon their hate and rage while the Jedi strive always to control their emotions. Luke is in the middle; in that sense, he's more natural, and given that the Force is generated and helps to maintain the natural flow of life, Luke might better serve to keep the balance by not shifting to either of the extremes.

As to balance being achieved with Palpatine's death, well we're left with Vader, who's attempted to walk both paths and had more success on the Darkside. Vader's self-sacrifice in the defeat of Palpitine allows him to pretty much let go of the greater aspects of his Darkside, putting him more near the middle with Luke (allowing the balance to be achieved). When he dies, just Luke is left which points back to my previous argument...

Kryllith
 Admiral Vostok
01-22-2005, 2:35 AM
Viceroy, I'm hardly dug into a hole.

It's true that the numbers thing is really just my way of interpreting the prophecy - and apparently Kryllith's as well. CodeDrifter's interpretation is also valid. We may find out which interpretation is correct in ROTS but then again it may be left open for debate.

At any rate I believe that Vader does bring about the balance by having 2 Sith = 2 Jedi. And yes, Lonepadawan, that does mean once Luke is the only Jedi then the Force is once again "out of balance".
 DK_Viceroy
01-22-2005, 5:42 AM
Vostok it wouldn't be the first time you've dug yourself into a hole, this is just the most recent example.

I like to think of the Jedi and Sith as having a much deeper meaning than mere numbers, that takes some of the essence of a jedi out.

Also Mace Windu never mentions anything about numbers he implies healing the rift between the users of the light and dark. This actually fits in with the EU since the Sith Empire and the Republic had several wars and if the two consiliated it would bring things back into balance.
 lonepadawan
01-22-2005, 10:57 AM
Eh... star wars purism or whatnot is another word for overanalyzing entertainment?

Star Wars is space myth man! It's not about numbers! "The balance" is a slightly more romantic concept than simply 1 jedi 1 sith or anything..
 DK_Viceroy
01-22-2005, 11:14 AM
Lonepadawn you'll fit in well in this Warzone:p
Page: 1 of 2