Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Units

Page: 1 of 2
 DarthMaulUK
01-03-2005, 9:08 PM
From the early screenshots and from the early preview, the following units will be in the game

Empire

Ground
AT-AT Walkers
AT-ST walkers
Tie Crawlers
Various Troopers
Drop Ships

Space
Star Destroyers
Acclamator Assault Ships
TIE Fighters

Rebellion

Ground
Various Tanks
Various defences - Turrets
Various Troopers

Space
Mon Calamari Cruisers
Nebula B Frigates
X,A,Y-Wings
Corvettes

These are taken from the screenshots. Over the coming months, they will no doubt be adding to this list

DMUK
 Evil Dark Jedi
01-03-2005, 11:44 PM
I am guessing the dropships will be like transports. But will be able to fire.
 Com Raven
01-04-2005, 1:10 AM
Those are afaik the sropships/ transports the clones use in Episode II.
 Nairb Notneb
01-04-2005, 1:57 AM
What about characters from the movies?
 Com Raven
01-04-2005, 3:58 AM
I think the preview mentioned that we will see how some characters from the movies ended up on either side in the game.
 BeBop
01-04-2005, 9:08 AM
Well while Battle for Middle Earth has many flaws I like the way that the Heroes (key characters from the movies) were done. If the key chracters of Star Wars are done in a similar way I'd be pleased. (As long as they are not like they are in Battlefront e.g. unable to be killed without landing on them)
 shadyshaun
01-04-2005, 9:20 AM
You dont have to land on them just squash em with a AT-AT like I did with luke :D
 Nairb Notneb
01-04-2005, 9:45 AM
Agreed, heroes are one thing, but Superheroes are another.
 lukeiamyourdad
01-04-2005, 10:39 AM
I do hope they have a decent storyline for the characters. It's still important.

We'll see how heroes turn out to be. I mean, in Star Wars, no one is invincible so I doubt we'll have overpowered heroes.
 Evil Dark Jedi
01-04-2005, 1:10 PM
Yeah like a campaign for each hero. That would be good.
 Nokill
01-04-2005, 2:03 PM
i hope these units will move like real persons and the ships will also blow up like in real movie live
how detaild are the ships anyway and the litle ground troops?

in a scale from 1 to 10
 Pho3nix
01-04-2005, 2:33 PM
The characters from the movies will probably be special units or something.
 Nairb Notneb
01-04-2005, 3:29 PM
I would like to see the units sticking to the movies with little branching off. I know that in order to create a good playable balance between the two civ's that's impossible, so some EU will have to get involved. I would just like to see a great RTS game that is movie driven as much as possible, I'm just that way. EU is good too to put it, it is part of the Star Wars universe anyway, just don't make up any units just for the sake of it if it can be helped, which it can.
 OverlordAngelus
01-04-2005, 6:52 PM
I'm hoping they use ships from the X-Wing games for the space combat section of the game. There are plenty to choose from and most of them are pretty good designs.
 DarthMaulUK
01-04-2005, 8:47 PM
Originally posted by Nokill
i hope these units will move like real persons and the ships will also blow up like in real movie live
how detaild are the ships anyway and the litle ground troops?

in a scale from 1 to 10

From the screens I have seen, there's Air(Snow)Speeders flying around on fire after being hit by an AT AT Walker.

The trooper scale seems very small but its difficult to tell at this very early stage.

DMUK
 darthfergie
01-04-2005, 11:08 PM
what's the scale on the fighters in space?
are they little dots like in Rebellion...I mean I assume they have much more detail...but I guess I'd also assume them to be selected in squadrons...and gnat sized in comparison to the capitol ships. At least I hope they're gnat sized in comparison...or at least fly sized...*blinks* wow...that was an odd analogy...but hopefully you get my drift. heh.
 Com Raven
01-05-2005, 1:57 AM
Well, they have /had) to make up some stuff. After all, how many rebel armor did you see in the movies? Wouldn't be much of a balanced game otherwise...
 Nokill
01-05-2005, 5:16 AM
i hope you will have some nice battles and not that all characters have to be hit 100 times bevore thay die :(
 Jan Gaarni
01-05-2005, 5:36 AM
If they don't use EU material, it's going to be a boring game. The Empire would only have the 2 star destroyer types you see in the films, plus the 3 TIE's (maybe the Lambda class Shuttle).

The Rebels on the other hand would have a larger array of ships, though largely much smaller capital ships, like the Corellian Corvette and the Nebulon-B Frigate. The Calamari Cruisers would start to compete with the smallest star destroyer type, but if the game starts 2 years before Ep. IV then it's gonna take a while before the rebels can use this ship.

The ground would be a slaughter. :p
The Empire would wipe the floor with the rebels. :D
 Nokill
01-05-2005, 5:59 AM
not if you make a trap for the imperials :p
then the rebels will kill the imps whit full force and whit air support
 lukeiamyourdad
01-05-2005, 7:04 AM
And the might of the Ewoks! Well if we ever get there :D
 OverlordAngelus
01-06-2005, 8:05 AM
Ok, having looked at the screenshots I can identify a number of ships.

REBELS

Corellian Gunship (it looks similiar to a corvette)
Bulwark Cruiser
2 Different Mon Calamari Cruisers

IMPERIALS

Interdictor Cruisers
Victory Class Star Destroyers

UNSURE

A ship that looks like a Dreadnaught.

There are a few other ship designs which I don't recognise, which maybe designed specifically for the game or maybe they're part of Episode 3.

Anyway, if you don't recognise the ships I have just listed, you can find them in Rebellion and X-Wing Alliance.
 DK_Viceroy
01-08-2005, 1:24 PM
I recognise a few Star Galleons there as well and some Loronar Strike Cruisers, I'll have a sift through them and consult my Star Wars Bible to see what they are.
 Kroven
01-17-2005, 6:00 AM
sweet, cant wait to send my stormtrooper army to conquer all:D
 Admiral Vostok
01-17-2005, 11:35 AM
As Lord of Star Wars Purists, I feel I need to rant here about EU.

Jan Gaarni said that without EU the game would be boring. I disagree fundamentally with that, but I understand the point of view, and it is a valid concern. Personally I don't mind a limited number of units to choose from (since that's how I play RTS games) but I can understand why people want many units to choose from and in all honestly it is a better selling point.

Yet the inclusion of EU is a delicate matter. So much EU doesn't fit in all that well with the movies, and in my opinion changes the distinct Star Wars "flavour". The TIE Crawler is the perfect example, because it is one of my personal favourite stupid EU creations. The TIE design is for aircraft; it makes sense for them but not for a ground vehicle. But more importantly the TIE Crawler does not fit into the Empire's forces because their vehicles are WALKERS: they always have been in the movies and always were even when the Empire was the Republic. Suggesting the Empire would even entertain the idea of building a small, terrain-limited tracked vehicle alongside their much better armed all terrain walkers is rediculous.

So my point is that while "EU" units should be included to make up numbers, they should still necessarily fit in with the aesthetic and ideals of the factions in question, which the TIE Crawler does not.

The inclusion of the TIE Crawler in the promotional material this early in the process does not give me high hopes for the Star Wars feel of this RTS.
 OverlordAngelus
01-17-2005, 1:06 PM
There are other reasons to draw upon EU material, such as planets.

The game is supposed to have at least 20 planets to conquer and seeing as the movies don't show that many planets they have the choice of picking from existing EU planets that are already developed or creating their own planets.

Personally I would much rather fight to control/liberate a planet that I am familiar with. Not because it gives me a tactical edge but because it adds a bit more tension to the battle.
 lukeiamyourdad
01-17-2005, 1:56 PM
I understand what you mean Vostok. Frankly, the Tie Crawler looks ugly and doesn't seem to be able to take any kind of damage at all.
Also, according to EU, TIE means twin ion engines. Why they would give twin ion engines to a ground vehicle that uses tracks is beyond comprehension. So using EU to contradict EU, the TIE crawler doesn't even deserve the TIE name.

Nevertheless, other choices to include EU material has been well justified such as Rebel Tanks and the Victory Class Star Destroyer(for variety's sake, let's have more then two types star destroyers plus, they looks cool).
 Admiral Vostok
01-17-2005, 10:53 PM
Rebel Tanks are probably a necessity but at least in adding them the designers aren't following the bad example of the TIE Crawler and making it an X-Track or Y-Track or something stupid. It's simple and utilitarian as Rebel equipment should be.

As Jan Gaarni pointed out in the screenshot thread, the Victory-class SD is could-have-been-Canon, which is my favourite kind of EU. Plus it makes sense for the Empire to have at least as many different capital ships as the Rebellion.
 DK_Viceroy
01-18-2005, 1:07 AM
The TIE Crawler was actually a miserable failure, it was made by Imperial Warlords with a surplus of TIE cockpits but not enough engines or wings but parts to make a tank out of it, needless to say it was a miserable flop and well outside the time line that has already been stated, since the TIE Crawler was first used on the Battle of Courscant between squabbling imperial warlords.

I'm suprised you didn't have a cow when you saw the Interdictor class Star Destroyer as well as the huge array of EU units and ships in it, the Interdictor will be tricky to balance something that can stop enemy ships from escaping incidently the rebels only way of doing the same was via captured interdictor's they made no effort to improve the technology until Battle of Courscant Yuzzhan Vong Variant.

and don't bother quoting your "laws" of Star Wars Canon I'm not bothered by them.
 Admiral Vostok
01-18-2005, 2:25 AM
So even to an EUFan, the inclusion of the TIE Crawler makes no sense. It's a silly unit that wasn't even present in the timeline of the setting of the game.

I didn't actually see the Interdictor, and indeed I am curious as to how such a unit could work in the game.
 DK_Viceroy
01-18-2005, 3:26 AM
they have also taken liberties with how it looked as well.

The Interdictor is in one of those screenshots, it's the one with the large angular bridge tower and the 4 globe like protrusions. I imagine that they've got a hyperspacedrive for ships where they can retreat out of battle super quick, the tactical possibilities on an Interdictor are endless, Thrawn has proved that.

Another interesting note is that the A-Wing wasn't in service in the timespace it's supposedly focusing on, and I'm none too sure the Rebels had a fleet by then.
 Jan Gaarni
01-18-2005, 7:18 AM
In Rebellion, they had the Immobiliser-418 (http://www.theforce.net/swtc/Pix/cg/bop/i418bop1.gif) on the Imperial side, and eventually the rebels could researc a equal for it, the CC-7700 (http://swnr.themaw.net/images/screenshots/forum_images/cc7700_texturestory_part21.jpg).
The way it worked there was, when you entered combat, it was active. And no way of turning it off. Which sucked if you brought one along and then realized, maybe I would have an advantage of letting them go, perhaps it looks like they might be able to beat me. That way I would have been able to allow them to retreat so I could call in an additional ship or 2 to attack them another time around another planet. The retreating force always retreated to the closest star system.
So I'm hoping there's a possibility to turn off the interdiction field on them in this game. :)

TIE-Crawler is ... well, what can I say. USE A REAL TANK!!! :D

The Imperial Army does have conventional tanks aswell, usually with repulsor lift. The Gorm-Talquist S-1 FireHawke Heavy Repulsortank (http://swnr.starwarsclub.org/army/images/firehawkeside.gif) is one such vehicle for instance, used primearly before the Walkers started to be developed.
If I were in charge of this project I'd use that one instead of something that looks (and we know it does to :D ) like it'll fall appart if you blew on it. :p
And it looks way cooler too. ;)
Or a lighter one if better for balance. AT-AT's are pretty powerful as it is. :D

For the A-Wing, time will move on. It will not take place just in the time period where they say it starts. The time will move forward even if you are not attacking anything.
Atleast that is how I understand it.
20 planets doesn't sound like alot to me though. It sounds like a small game already.

Rebellion had 200 planets you could conquer.
 OverlordAngelus
01-18-2005, 10:38 AM
The game only starts before ANH. I suspect as time passes events from the movies will happen during the game.

As for 20 planets. It might not seem like much but if the battles are quite time consuming and there are 2 battles to control a planet and the enemy attacking you as well...

Though I do hope that if they include an editor, it will allow people to add their own planets to the campaigns or better yet, allow the player to create their own campaigns (Thrawn Trilogy anyone?)
 lukeiamyourdad
01-18-2005, 1:01 PM
In X-Wing vs. Tie Fighters, the Rebels had modified Loronar Strike Cruisers for interdiction purposes I believe. It would prove an effective counter to the Interdictor cruiser.
 Admiral Vostok
01-22-2005, 2:10 AM
Originally posted by Jan Gaarni
The Imperial Army does have conventional tanks aswell, usually with repulsor lift. The Gorm-Talquist S-1 FireHawke Heavy Repulsortank (http://swnr.starwarsclub.org/army/images/firehawkeside.gif) is one such vehicle for instance, used primearly before the Walkers started to be developed.
Yet another snippet of EU that George Lucas does not approve of...

Sorry Jan, but as Viceroy will tell you this is one of my favourite things to do...
 DK_Viceroy
01-22-2005, 5:37 AM
yes it's his favourite habbit of annyoing everyone in a 20 forum radius, of course half the time he's wrong and I love proving him as such.

Of course unless GL says he disproves of it any statement Vostok makes to that effect is of course a pack of lies:D
 Jan Gaarni
01-22-2005, 1:19 PM
Originally posted by Admiral Vostok
Yet another snippet of EU that George Lucas does not approve of...

Sorry Jan, but as Viceroy will tell you this is one of my favourite things to do...
I'm sorry, I don't quite follow?!? :confused:
(it's very late here right now, that might be why :D )
 DK_Viceroy
01-22-2005, 3:02 PM
what he means is his faveourite obsession is to try and force on everyone his Puritanical view that EU sucks and a whole lot of Puritianical rhetoric to why EU sucks.

All of it of course mindless babble, EU is of course just as important as the films and to the point even more canononical because the books do not change every time they're printed while the films every new edition change, in some cases radically.

the point is ignore any Rhetoric Vostok spouts as mindless babble and you'll be quite happy.:D
 OverlordAngelus
01-22-2005, 3:33 PM
Originally posted by DK_Viceroy
All of it of course mindless babble, EU is of course just as important as the films and to the point even more canononical because the books do not change every time they're printed while the films every new edition change, in some cases radically.

Hahaha, that has to be the best argument for EU that I have ever seen.
 lukeiamyourdad
01-22-2005, 5:36 PM
What kind of radical changes has there been from the old to the special edition? Some new CGI effect for the Sarlacc, a delete scene with Jabba in ANH, the music at th end of RotJ, Christensen at the end of RotJ, etc. Nothing radical nor does it change the story.

Eu cannot survive without the movies while the movies can survive without EU.
 FroZticles
01-22-2005, 8:39 PM
Luke imagine how boring it would be without EU I don't think I could play 20+ games based on the same storyline or with the same characters.

Viceroy- You can stop insulting Vostok everytime he posts I know for a fact your 10 times worse than Vostok how you try to force your stupid beliefs onto others constantly. About how great you think EU is and how you really wanted the next RTS to be like.

For those of you who need a refresh or have not seen it take a look at his pure EU RTS. *Note leave whatever you saw in the movies right here this new EU game Viceroy has created may cause brain sesures*

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=113197)
 Rogue15
01-22-2005, 8:40 PM
I'm hoping that this will play more like Force Commander than GB. resource gathering is......****TY. I WANT TO FIGHT AND KILL NOT WORRY ABOUT MY STUPID ASS UNARMED WORKERS.
 lukeiamyourdad
01-23-2005, 6:28 AM
Originally posted by FroZticles
Luke imagine how boring it would be without EU I don't think I could play 20+ games based on the same storyline or with the same characters.

Your point was? I replied against Viceroy saying that EU was just as important as the movie which is a false statement.
I don't hate EU in general(well, I hate mostly post-RotJ EU) but one cannot say EU has the same weight in the balance as the movies.
 DK_Viceroy
01-23-2005, 8:30 AM
oh dearest Froz are you sure that link works?

and I never Pimped a link to it in my sig, nor did I have at attempt at making a new one when it was blatantly obvious that there was an imminenet announcement.

You must be having brain seizures to post a link to a topic I long deleted:p

and Luke talk like that coming from you is rich when you were harranging for christhansens head on a gilded platter when you heard of the changes:p
 lukeiamyourdad
01-23-2005, 12:13 PM
That's because I hate him. Storywise it doesn't change much. Besides, it was the only thing that bothered me from any of the changes.
 lonepadawan
01-24-2005, 8:56 AM
I wonder if the AT-AA and AT-PT are going to make a return...
 Igor_Cavkov
01-26-2005, 2:30 AM
How many units/ships can you have?? is there going to be any Pop caP?? i hope they dont have any pop cap couse u have to take over the galaxy u know :p
 FroZticles
01-28-2005, 4:33 PM
It changes the stroy quite a bit since Anakin died the day he became Vader and Sith don't become ghosts or disappear. Thats why I'm wondering what Qui Gon did to not become one with the force.
 lukeiamyourdad
01-28-2005, 5:48 PM
I think it's because he died without being at peace. Both Obi, Yoda and Anakin(back to the lightside) dissapeared because they were at peace.

(It was stated that Vader dissapeared and that Luke was only burning the suit. I'll have to dig up where I found that).
 FroZticles
01-28-2005, 6:11 PM
We shall see in the arena at Geonosis there was no Jedi bodies on the ground when Boba took Jango's helmet so all Jedi disappear except for Qui Gon?
Page: 1 of 2