Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

bugs and more bugs

Page: 1 of 1
 ricardo_c
12-26-2004, 5:05 AM
Hi and Xmas to all.
I have read several post talking of bugs. This is the first game from xbox that I have found to be too much.
This is a list of the most frequent;
1. game freezes
2. takes an enternity to load
3. xbox does not recognized the cd(damage or dirty)
4. lags, as if you were using a 28k modem

I change the fist cd, thinking it will not happen, but is happening anyways. If its Obsidian's fault, Lucas should rethink giving them a second chance.

I don't know if I should change again the game? Any suggestions or do I have to live with it?
 Darth333
12-26-2004, 5:41 AM
Testing wasn't carried by Obsidian.

Do you have a modded xbox?
 ricardo_c
12-26-2004, 5:46 AM
no
 Darth333
12-26-2004, 6:26 AM
Then you could try to change the CD or bring your xbox for cleaning. I don't really have problems with freezing unless I reload a game where my party leader was a NPC and not my main PC.
 ricardo_c
12-26-2004, 12:38 PM
i tried halo2 and have no problem playing it for 30 to 45 min, so I don't think the xbox needs cleaning. maybe I will change the cd for the 3rd time.
 Dak Vesser
12-27-2004, 2:46 AM
I don't think that the disk is the problem unless the DVD player its self has a burned out motor and is not spinning. I 've put some really scratchy games in my xbox and they played fine. So its unlikely the problem.

I believe the problem is a conflict between the the Y: partition and the plot numbers in the auto-save. <--- "One Dak Vesser theory"

What koTOr II is doing is storing all the current data into the Y: partition.(Just like Kotor1 did) Files like all the .2da, TLG.erf and muisic files going into a folder called "Cache/Dataxbox". So when you load into a new area (like out the Ebon Hawk to Dantooine), the game will load all the files from the Y:/ Cache Folder and not the DVD.

Now sometimes durring a loadup procedure (due to some random glitch) there's a conflict between what 's stored in the auto-save, and what's stored in the Y: cache folder ( It could be a number of reasons--> corrupted memory, bad hash values in the load query, plot numbers, & so on). If that happens, the executable will then query the information from the Dvd as a failsafe. So when you see the load screen pop up, you'll hear the Dvd winding up, The right info is retrieved, and the cache folder gets partially reset, conflict resolved, load complete.

But for some reason, It looks like the KotOR II executable is comming up with some error when retrieving the info after query from the dvd, it's as if it can't respond back to its self and as a result you see this "disk may be dirty or damaged" Message <--"Another Dak Vesser theory"

I've seen this happen once on my xbox too. Dirty or damaged disk message showed up in the middle of a load;

After the cut scene with the Ebon Hawk Leaving the secret Jedi Academy on Telos, the game was supposed to loadup the cutscene with T3-m4's holo recording of the Exile's Trial and the HandMaiden joining the party

I shut the xbox off, took the disk out, turned it back on, put the disk back in, reloaded the autosave and it continued right into the cutscene where it left off. ---> everything was all good.

So I don't believe the disk is bad. It's just KoTOR II - TSL's defult.xbe is very buggy, twitchy and glitchy --> nothing a good update can't fix.

~Platnum hit DVD~

Try doing this: Start a new game from scratch so the cache can reset. If it does reset then you should be able to get the "gamesave in question" to work again.

If you can't get the "gamesave in question" to work again, then the save is damaged beyond repair.

If you try to start a new game but can't because of the "Dirty or damaged disk" message popping up, then the Y: Partition will need to be wiped clean, and unfortunately you won't be able to do that if your xbox is not modded. <--but this case is highly unlikely.

will I hope my theory makes all the sense in the world and helps. And "NO" I'm not a nerd!
 ricardo_c
12-27-2004, 3:46 PM
hey man, knowledge is a sign that evolution still works and that you put passion in what you like, that in my book is not a nerd, but a sophysticated individual.

Anyways, I have ready that wiping or erasing all saved games may solve the problem. I will do so, but first I need to finish the game because I am heading to the Reaver bridge, so let's see.

Thanks.
 Dak Vesser
12-27-2004, 5:17 PM
Originally posted by ricardo_c
hey man, knowledge is a sign that evolution still works and that you put passion in what you like, that in my book is not a nerd, but a sophysticated individual.

Anyways, I have ready that wiping or erasing all saved games may solve the problem. I will do so, but first I need to finish the game because I am heading to the Reaver bridge, so let's see.

Thanks.

Erasing gamesaves is not necessary unless one of the them errors with a message " Gamesave damaged cannot load"

Erasing all the data from the Y: Partition is what you would wanna do. You wouldn't lose your saves at all.

The Gamesaves get stored in the E: partition
 ricardo_c
12-29-2004, 3:09 PM
I erased them anyways and still have problems. Anyways now my xbox is not recognizing Fable. I don't know if KOTOR2 had something to do with it but its not working and I bought a dvd lens cleaner, just in case, but, no use. I can still play Halo2,strange, because Fable is also from Microsoft Studio.

To summarize I have a warranty option from EB and will get a new Xbox and probably change KOTOR2.

40+ HOURS OF GAME TIME LOST.
Page: 1 of 1