Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

NJO : FAQs / Rants/ Raves/ Reviews

Page: 1 of 3
 Astrotoy7
11-09-2004, 3:56 AM
Hello All. The NJO was quite easily the most contriversial development in lit EU since its inception and subsequent evolution. When it comes to NJO, you generally come across 3 types of ppl :

1. People who are very fond of the NJO for breathing a spark of life into a stagnating universe, full of clone emperors and superweapons

2. People who do not like the NJO at all, some of these people of course having read 'Vector Prime' (and maybe a cpl of others) thinking that this book typifies the NJO. It most certainly does NOT ! Then you have detractors who actually havent read any of the books

3. People who have not read the NJO. They might not know the NJO exists, or have heard mixed things about it.

I hope this thread will accomodate each of these groups. It has been stickied, because there always seems to be someone with a NJO question that ends up being a new thread

Firstly, some quick FAQs

What is the NJO ??
NJO stands for "New Jedi Order' It is a 21 book series. 19 of these being novels, 2 being in e-book format.

Which was the first book ??
Legendary fantasy author, R.A Salvatore penned the first novel in the NJO : Vector Prime. Many different authors contributed to the NJO, the most notable of which being James Luceno, Mike Stackpole, Troy Denning, Elaine Cunnigham and Matt Stover.

What's it about ??
The NJO commences at a time period appromximately 25 years after the events of SW : ANH. There is a relative peace between the New Republic and the Imperial Remnant. A new threat to the safety of the entire galaxy arrives in the form of the Yuuzhan Vong. A warlike, deeply ritualistic and brutal species from just outside the galactic border. Their homeworld no longer exists, and they are now in the final leg of a 60 year journey they have made - to enter the 'galaxy far far away' and occupy Coruscant, the seat of the New Republic.

What other characters are in it ??
Almost *everyone* who has been in a previous EU novel seems to make an appearance in the NJO. But all the fave characters are there : Luke, Han, Leia, and their children Jacen & Jaina(twins) and Anakin. Chewie is in it of course, Lando, Mara Jade, Tallon Karrde, R2, 3PO, Wedge......etc

I've heard some main characters die - is this true ?
Yes, there are a few deaths, but 2 main characters die. they were both sad occasions indeed

Why are opinions so divided about NJO ??
Well, apart from being a matter of personal opinion of course, the NJO resulted from a conscious decision to try something new. A huge story arc, co-ordinating several writers and 21 separate pieces of work. New themes of religion, technology and social structure help define the Yuuzhan Vong. But despite all this, at the end of the day, the most interesting thing are the characters themselves. The NJo has allowed authors to explore our favourite characters, and even those of the Yuuzhan Vong, This is something that has never been done in SW EU effectively before.

What about that book, "Traitor" ??
Indeed, Traitor is arguably the most daring SW book ever published. It basically centres on 2 characters. Jacen and Vergere, a former jedi and agent of the Yuuzhan Vong. The book outlines the physical and mental torture Jacen Solo is subjected to following capture by the Yuuzhan Vong. It is written by Matt Stover, whom interestingly enough, will be doing the Ep3 novelisation.....

So I would hereby like to encourage and invite any and all NJO discussion, questions etc, to stay in *this* thread

mtfbwya
 Leper Messiah
11-09-2004, 6:53 AM
do things get moving very quickly in the NJO from the next book onwards, (whichever that may be) the fact that there are 19 books makes me think its not exactly fast paced. Vector Prime certainly wasnt.
 Shok_Tinoktin
11-09-2004, 11:05 AM
You have to consider that this is an entire war that occurs in 19 books. It has all the members of the last war on one side against an entire new galaxy. A serious enemy that makes it all the way to the core of the original galaxy. Telling that in 19 books is very fast paced. The last one was told in about 3 movies, 40 books, tons of comics, and lots else that I cant think of right now.

I would say that the first books in the series are not quite as good as the series together. The problem is, the different technology makes it so that it just goes back and forth, and whoever has figured out some little trick is gonna win. Once you hit Star by Star (one of the best books ever IMO), the series really picks up, and is basically really good from there on out.
 primalunderdog
11-09-2004, 3:36 PM
I think the dark tide books are awsome.
 Cyborgninja
11-10-2004, 5:34 PM
Originally posted by Leper Messiah
ive reada couple of books from the EU and enjoyed them, and i read Vector Prime recently, first book of the quite extensive New Jedi Order. Vector Prime is the first EU book ive read that i thought was god-awful. So what i want to know is, is the rest of the New Jedi Order worth reading, what happens in it?

ive heard that Coruscant falls to this new race thats been introduced but thats about it

I am currently reading that book and liken it
 Leper Messiah
11-11-2004, 4:27 PM
Originally posted by jackofblades
I am currently reading that book and liken it

Vector Prime is horrible.

in my opinion of course. i appreciate others may not feel the same way, but it did enough for me to go from being excited about the new series to put me WELL off
 Rogue Nine
11-11-2004, 5:16 PM
They killed Chewie. That turned me off to the whole damn thing. That and the Yuuzhan Vong are misplaced Star Trek aliens.

As far as I'm concerned, the NJO doesn't exist.
 Shok_Tinoktin
11-11-2004, 5:27 PM
You can't judge the Yuuzhan Vong untill you read The Unifying Force (or at least Star by Star and Traitor).

They killed Yoda. As far as I'm concerned, ROTJ doesn't exist. :D
 Astrotoy7
11-12-2004, 4:44 AM
Originally posted by Shok_Tinoktin
....They killed Yoda. As far as I'm concerned, ROTJ doesn't exist. :D

HAHAHAHA ! :D

the 'they' who killed chewie only did so after GLs approval, this is a well documented fact. And heaven forbid if a main character dies....for me it just helped illustrate the impact of the new enemy very clearly :)

mtfbwya
 Leper Messiah
11-12-2004, 5:34 AM
Originally posted by Rogue Nine
They killed Chewie. That turned me off to the whole damn thing. That and the Yuuzhan Vong are misplaced Star Trek aliens.

anyone familiar with star trek think (this is only based on vector prime) that the Yuuzhan Vong are a lot like species 8472?

Chewie dying wasnt a problem for me but he could have had a MUCH better death
 Cyborgninja
11-12-2004, 8:36 AM
how does chewie die
 Leper Messiah
11-12-2004, 8:41 AM
Originally posted by jackofblades
how does chewie die

gets left behind on a planet that gets crushed by its moon, if memory serves
 Shok_Tinoktin
11-12-2004, 10:49 AM
He at least got a much better death than Ackbar did. I was joking before reading it that the worst possible death would be to die implicitly during the middle of the story. :indif:
 Leper Messiah
11-12-2004, 1:25 PM
He at least got a much better death than Ackbar did. I was joking before reading it that the worst possible death would be to die implicitly during the middle of the story. :indif:

when'd Ackbar croak?
 Shok_Tinoktin
11-12-2004, 1:42 PM
The Unifying Force (last NJO book)
 Leper Messiah
11-12-2004, 4:30 PM
The Unifying Force (last NJO book)

how? and did they beat the Vong in the end?
 Shok_Tinoktin
11-12-2004, 4:33 PM
How did he die? Old age. They had Tycho walk into a meeting in the middle of the book and tell everyone that Ackbar had died. That was it. No dignity at all. :(

Yes, they beat the Vong in the end. (sort of)
 Rogue Nine
11-12-2004, 4:56 PM
Originally posted by Astrotoy7
HAHAHAHA ! :D

the 'they' who killed chewie only did so after GLs approval, this is a well documented fact. And heaven forbid if a main character dies....for me it just helped illustrate the impact of the new enemy very clearly :)

mtfbwya

Don't get me started on GL's involvement in the EU. :/
 90SK
11-12-2004, 7:15 PM
Chewie: "*sigh* well it was bound to happen eventually...:(

Coruscant: *choke* They did WHAT!?

As far as I'm concerned, the NJO doesn't exist.

I have to say, I must agree, though it was kind of nice to see all the EU characters brought together in such a grand manner.
 Lieutenant_kettch
11-12-2004, 7:40 PM
Originally posted by CaptainSkye

though it was kind of nice to see all the EU characters brought together in such a grand manner.

^^^hard to argue with that

it was a good change of pace
 Leper Messiah
11-13-2004, 7:00 AM
How did he die? Old age. They had Tycho walk into a meeting in the middle of the book and tell everyone that Ackbar had died. That was it. No dignity at all. :(

that deserves a big time WTF?!
 Astrotoy7
11-16-2004, 3:32 AM
Don't get me started on GL's involvement in the EU. :/

theres no need to get upset about it. Of course GLs EU involvement is ceremonial more than instrumental, but he gave the green light to others deciding that chewie should bite the bullet(or the planet, in his case :p) and suggested a certain solo child be killed because of potential name confusion. I find that a bit strange, but thems the breaks, and whoozits dying had more of an impact I believe than if it was left with the original candidate :)

now its time for us to hug and exchange EU lore :D

oh, and Leper, dont do the 8472 comparison. theres acpl of others around who have made the same comparison, and yes their exposure to the njo has been as short as yours. Im a a big NJO fan and a big Voyager fan. I often describe the Vong to people as 'ugly like the predator' and obsessed with honour and battle like the Klingons ! At the end of the day, its really not the biotech and philosophy of the Vong that got me hooked, it was the CHARACTERS, just liek in any good book. Nom Anor, a scheming, calculating YV executor is one of the most interesting characters in EU ever, and his type of character is archetypal to many a good story, be it a murder mystery, a spy thriller or a sci-fi fantasy story....

mtfbwya
 Leper Messiah
11-16-2004, 5:20 AM
for absolute certain - is the book in which Corsucant falls to the Vong "Star By Star" cos i wanna go out and buy it but i just want to make sure that Coruscants fall doesnt begin in this book and finish in another or that the fall has already begun at the start of this book
 Pho3nix
11-16-2004, 7:50 AM
That Y V **** pretty much sucks....I mean they DO look like a species from Star Trek. And Chewie dying sucks...and it's sad :mad:
 Lynk Former
11-16-2004, 11:58 AM
you've already got an NJO thread open, use that.
 StarWarsPhreak
11-16-2004, 12:22 PM
NJO rocks. I also like the Old Republic with Exar Kun and even earlier with Naga Sadow and the Sith.
 Shok_Tinoktin
11-16-2004, 1:01 PM
The entirety of the fall of Coruscant to the Vong is in Star by Star. Although the book Traitor lets you find out what happens to the planet after it is controlled by the Yuuzhan Vong. ;)
 Shok_Tinoktin
11-16-2004, 1:09 PM
Originally posted by Pho3nix
That Y V **** pretty much sucks....I mean they DO look like a species from Star Trek. And Chewie dying sucks...and it's sad :mad:

Those Star Wars movies pretty much suck....I mean they DO look like a species from ET: The Extra Terrestrial. And Obi Wan dying sucks...and it's sad :mad:.........................;)
 Astrotoy7
11-17-2004, 4:00 AM
Those Star Wars movies pretty much suck....I mean they DO look like a species from ET: The Extra Terrestrial. And Obi Wan dying sucks...and it's sad :mad:.........................;)

LMAO....I love such freakish saracsm :p Bravo Shok !

I like it when ppl say "OMFG that SUX ! Its like Star Trek" and dont know much about Star trek either, just what they think ST is like from seeing a cpl of movies and a cpl of episodes here and there.... :( :p It just liek me saying Harry potter is Just like LOTR because is has wizards n stuff :p

I like hearing insights and criticisms of informed people, wankers that just make up their mind without substantiation are just ignorant. I can only hope for them that this mode of thought does not carry into their everyday lives.... :(

mtfbwya
 Astrotoy7
11-17-2004, 4:08 AM
Originally posted by Lynk Former
you've already got an NJO thread open, use that.

indeed. especially since a few of us had mentioned that over there(including myself).......

yes, Star by Star it is, or as us njo phreaks call it ...SBS

Lynk who do I have to kill to be EU mod...for the listed mods in the EU forum are quite dull in their knowledge and hardly around.... thank the maker SWPhreak and Jan Gaarni come around..... :) But what the punters need is a local boy....

:p

Leper, It seems strange to read SBS after VP....so very strange..you miss all the build up, and totally defeat the beauty of a multi-book story arc..... :( :p I'd suggets reading "X-Wing : Wedge's gamble" and follow how the new republic got corucsant to begin with(it didnt happen immediately after ROTJs events)

mtfbwya
 StarWarsPhreak
11-17-2004, 7:38 AM
You have to fight me to the death, Astro.

Well... Lynk should have just merged this thread with the other :/

And I'd suggest reading all of the NJO, in order.
 wassup
11-21-2004, 5:16 PM
Originally posted by Cyborgninja
well that is about worse than boba fetts so called death

Go read The Unifying Force, you'll be in for quite a surprise! :p
 Leper Messiah
11-22-2004, 12:34 AM

Leper, It seems strange to read SBS after VP....so very strange..you miss all the build up, and totally defeat the beauty of a multi-book story arc..... :( :p I'd suggets reading "X-Wing : Wedge's gamble" and follow how the new republic got corucsant to begin with(it didnt happen immediately after ROTJs events)

actually im following it perfectly, it helped that Star By Star explains near the start in about a page and a half everything that has already happened up to that point. besides im a student i cant afford to buy every book in the series, so im just gonna read the most important ones. but Jesus W. Christ SBS is taking a while to get going.
 Shok_Tinoktin
11-22-2004, 12:57 AM
SBS is taking a while to get going.

Its worth it.
 Leper Messiah
11-22-2004, 1:03 AM
Its worth it.

it had better be, where i am, the Vong have just feinted an attack on some world i forget the name of and Danni Quee theorised they were preserving their resources for something else, please tell me its the attack on Coruscant, ive had enough of waiting!!!!!!!!
 Astrotoy7
11-26-2004, 12:39 AM
it had better be, where i am, the Vong have just feinted an attack on some world i forget the name of and Danni Quee theorised they were preserving their resources for something else, please tell me its the attack on Coruscant, ive had enough of waiting!!!!!!!!

man, I think you should just read comix instead... BANG ! PHROOOM !!!! Enough action for ya ?? :p

mtfbwya
 Lady Vader
11-26-2004, 8:31 AM
I didn't think Vector Prime was that bad, in fact I actually liked the entire NJO series. Traitor was my favorite one.
 Master_Keralys
11-28-2004, 1:46 PM
The NJO had its down points. VP was one of those in my view. However, the rest of the series had some incredible moments. Read it, enjoy it. Don't quit at least till you've read Traitor. That's the make it or break it point of the series. If you hate that one, you'll hate it all, but VP is a bad book to judge the series by. You fools who claim it doesn't exist b/c you hate it are just that: fools.

Be patient, though. A nineteen book series doesn't come to the end all in a flash and bang.
 Samnmax221
11-28-2004, 3:09 PM
Vector Prime was kinda different to read butis alright

Damn their killing all my favorite charactors
 Shok_Tinoktin
11-28-2004, 9:12 PM
Originally posted by Master_Keralys
Don't quit at least till you've read Traitor. That's the make it or break it point of the series. If you hate that one, you'll hate it all, but VP is a bad book to judge the series by.

I agree that you should read to at least Traitor before judging the series, and that if you don't like the series by the end of Traitor you probably wont like it at all (and vice versa), but I think it is possible to not like Traitor and like the rest of the series (and vice versa). Traitor was very different from the other books in the series, IMO at least.
 Master_Keralys
11-29-2004, 4:37 AM
A valid point, I suppose. Regardless, it was the general make-or-break point of the series, b/c it shifted the course of the entire saga in a very new and different direction.

Traitor was probably the most unique SW novel out there, with Shatterpoint a close second. I love reading Matt Stover, b/c he writes to make you think, even though it's just SW "popcorn" reading. Even when I disagree with his philosophies, they make you think.
 Astrotoy7
12-01-2004, 1:34 AM
Traitor is a one of a kind. In fact, it will remain a one of a kind in SW EU. It would be creative suicide for an EU author to attempt to do such a thing again.... :p but I bet you there will be someone stupid who does try :(

mtfbwya
 Shok_Tinoktin
12-01-2004, 11:44 AM
but I bet you there will be someone stupid who does try :(

I hope your wrong about that, because you are definitely dead on with the rest of it.
 Leper Messiah
12-01-2004, 11:54 AM
i have to say, im over halfway through Star By Star, and the actual storyline is good, but the book is poorly written in my opinion
 Shok_Tinoktin
12-01-2004, 9:55 PM
Just came across this and thought it was interesting:

Imagine taking a beloved character and killing him...why that's just not Star Wars! What's next? Will someone have the audacity to kill another beloved character, like Obiwan Kenobi? HOW DARE....oops, oh, yeah. Well, at least Lucas repented, because in TPM, none of the major characters die...oops, wait a minute.

The R. A. Salvatore interview (http://www.theforce.net/books/unjoh/interviews/) here is very interesting.
 Astrotoy7
12-02-2004, 1:09 AM
i have to say, im over halfway through Star By Star, and the actual storyline is good, but the book is poorly written in my opinion

BAH ! you just dont listen lep ! It will NEVER be the same as if you read them in sequence as originally intended. Theres a lot of momentous stuff happenning in SBS. I find its drawn up parts only building the tension. By the time coruscant was taken, I felt just as defeated as the NR did :)

but still, you do it *your* way, the *crazy* way :p

mtfbwya
 Leper Messiah
12-02-2004, 1:46 AM
BAH ! you just dont listen lep ! It will NEVER be the same as if you read them in sequence as originally intended. Theres a lot of momentous stuff happenning in SBS. I find its drawn up parts only building the tension. By the time coruscant was taken, I felt just as defeated as the NR did :)

but still, you do it *your* way, the *crazy* way :p

mtfbwya

nonononono you dont understand, the storyline is good, very good in fact, and there hasnt been a single reference i havnt understood so far, but its like the Lord Of The Rings for me, great story but it was written in such a way that i hated reading it, in the case of Star By Star sometimes the language is very lacklustre, the characters seem a little wooden at times and the writer i swear is making up branches of the New Republic government as he goes along - every single EU book i have read has different names for New Republic government departments. The senates also a good example, i know its been bombed at least once in the EU but its description changes EVERY SINGLE BOOK. just a couple of niggling factors
 Shok_Tinoktin
12-02-2004, 8:38 AM
You have to keep in mind that there are several years of time between the Galactic Civil War and the Yuuzhan Vong invasion. Not just time, peace time. The galaxy has been at war for decades, the New Republic has been at war since it was created. When you finally add peace into the equation, it is logical that the needs of the government would change drastically, and thus that the government itself would change drastically. To see that there has been a lot of change, just think about this: could you imagine Fey'lya as Chief of State during HoT or Gavin Darklighter as leader of Rogue Squadron during the X-Wing series?
 Samnmax221
12-02-2004, 2:35 PM
I'v never known when luke and Mara got married is that in any of the previuse books
 Leper Messiah
12-02-2004, 3:03 PM
You have to keep in mind that there are several years of time between the Galactic Civil War and the Yuuzhan Vong invasion. Not just time, peace time. The galaxy has been at war for decades, the New Republic has been at war since it was created. When you finally add peace into the equation, it is logical that the needs of the government would change drastically, and thus that the government itself would change drastically. To see that there has been a lot of change, just think about this: could you imagine Fey'lya as Chief of State during HoT or Gavin Darklighter as leader of Rogue Squadron during the X-Wing series?

thats not what i mean, names of departments of the government are always changing. I havnt read the EU in a while i dont rememer Leia's actual title being Chief Of State, i thought she was President. Departments of the New Republic government that do the same thing are given different names all the time. As i said before the Senate seems to change its description every book. Im not talking about storyline changes, just plain coninuity errors
Page: 1 of 3