Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Radeon, Frame Buffer and Soft Shadows

Page: 1 of 1
 SATURN_
12-21-2004, 10:54 AM
Today, I have finaly gotten myself a new PC, with Radeon 9800SE onboard. I tried to use KotOR as a benchmark, but it's running a bit weird - some odd model errors, slight graphic garbage appearing now and then. Can't select soft shadows. But the real bugger is the frame buffer effect... it was a real FPS leecher back on my old GeForce 5200, and I just waited to play smoothly with it turned on. And now... it is selectable, but doesn't work.... it doesn't change the graphics the slightest bit, and I know how the game with frame buffer looks like...

Got the newest Catalyst, newest patch for KotOR... uh... help? Anyone encountered this problem too?

Frame buffer and soft shadows require vertex and pixel shader support... R9800 is a relatively new and more powerful than GF 5200, so it SHOULD support it...?
 seanlooi
12-30-2004, 5:23 AM
your problem may be similiar to mine.

I just bought a computer recently

3Ghz P4
1GB DDR RAM
X800Pro

Game ran perfectly with all frame buffer effects. BUT it lagged horribly in Dantooine.

So I installed the latest catalyst drivers and everything is running smooth. But the horrible thing is PIXEL FLARES (the glow) is permanently off!

I'm searching around trying to find a way to enable it ... need help.
 seanlooi
12-30-2004, 5:25 AM
Also, I couldn't enable soft shadoes at first. But after updating Kotor to V1.03, soft shadows is an option now...

Hope it helps...
 PoM
01-05-2005, 6:38 AM
Kotor runs smooth for me with all graphic options at the highest setting, but i can't select soft shadows either!:confused::confused:
 SATURN_
01-06-2005, 3:44 AM
Soft shadows are available for Radeons when you patch your game to the newest version... but frame buffer still doesn't work for me. Hope it will work with KotOR 2 though, once it comes out.
 PoM
01-06-2005, 5:33 AM
I have a ATI RADEON 9600 Pro and the latest kotor update, but i can't select soft shadows...
But frame buffer and everything else works fine.
 stingerhs
01-06-2005, 10:57 AM
if you updated your game w/ the updater included w/ kotor, then you may simply have installed a minorly corrupted file.

try dl the 1.03 patch exe file from dlx.gamespot.com (http://dlx.gamespot.com/pc/starwarsknightsoftor/moreinfo_6090374.html)
and install it that way. it should correct any problems with your previous attempt.
 seanlooi
01-11-2005, 9:53 PM
Originally posted by Piece of metal
Kotor runs smooth for me with all graphic options at the highest setting, but i can't select soft shadows either!:confused::confused:

What is your PC Specs? Mine is somewhere in the forum. My computer cannot run smoothly with Anti Aliasing turned on FULL. It's only 2x.

My Pc should be able to handle highest settings, shouldn't it?
 stingerhs
01-12-2005, 3:50 AM
^^^^
it should, but as i told someone else, i'm not sure if kotor completely supports some of the more advanced settings like 8x anti-aliasing or 16x antistropic filtering.

with my radeon 9700 pro, my settings are:

1074x720 res @ 85hz refresh rate
vsync off
soft shadows on
grass on
frame buffer effects on
anti-aliasing - 8x
antistropic filtering - 4x

seanlooi, you should be able to run a higher screen res than me, but i would keep the anti-aliasing and antistropic filtering levels the same since your running a radeon. hope that helps. :)
 TemporaryTomato
01-13-2005, 5:08 AM
Originally posted by stingerhs
^^^^
it should, but as i told someone else, i'm not sure if kotor completely supports some of the more advanced settings like 8x anti-aliasing or 16x antistropic filtering.

with my radeon 9700 pro, my settings are:

1074x720 res @ 85hz refresh rate
vsync off
soft shadows on
grass on
frame buffer effects on
anti-aliasing - 8x
antistropic filtering - 4x

seanlooi, you should be able to run a higher screen res than me, but i would keep the anti-aliasing and antistropic filtering levels the same since your running a radeon. hope that helps. :)
That's a LOT of AA there... and you aren't getting any fps drops? :eek:

I have:

9600 XT

1024x768 @ 85hz
Vsync on
Soft shadows on
Grass on
Frame buffer effects on
AA 2x (temporal AA, it looks like 4x, but runs like 2x)
AF 16x

It's slightly choppy in the Kashyyyk forest and other areas with fog.
 stingerhs
01-13-2005, 6:59 AM
Originally posted by TemporaryTomato
That's a LOT of AA there... and you aren't getting any fps drops? :eek:

It's slightly choppy in the Kashyyyk forest and other areas with fog.
heh, i also have a factory overclocked radeon 9700 pro. :D

and yes, i do get some fps drops in certain areas by having it that high, but it doesn't drop much lower than 20fps, which means its still playable. ;)

i'll have to go back to my old system to do this, but you can set the game in the ini file to have windows designate the game to high priority, which frees up more of your proccessor to run the game. i gained almost 7 fps by doing that on my old system (athlon 2600, 512 Mb RAM, & geforcefx 5600 w/256Mb).

you can manually do this by pressing ctrl+alt+del to bring you back to the desktop and have the task manager load up. under the processes tab, find kotor.exe. right-click and highlight "Set Priority". then select "High". DO NOT SELECT "REALTIME". IT WILL CRASH WINDOWS. then close out the task manager to return to the game. :D

now, if you want to start talking about fps drops, try running tcor: efbb at full AF, use the 2.0 shaders, and run the screen @ 1600x1200 (AA is automatically set @4x or lower depending on the card the game detects. you can set that to 8x in the ini file, though). its real pretty lookin, but you get fps numbers between 10-20 in a really sparse area. add detail, and watch the the fps drop to 2-3 fps. definately not good for a fp-shooter. :eek:
 Flamehart
01-15-2005, 9:16 AM
I'm having an odd problem with my 9500 Pro / 9700 ATI card running on 4.12 drivers, no matter what graphics resolution I set it out there seems to be odd texture errors and a line or something will appear on the model when looking at it from a certain angle, I don't know how to describe it really. I've been having loads of problems with my ATI card when I switched over from a FX5200, I'm starting to wonder if it was worth it.
 stingerhs
01-16-2005, 6:46 PM
that seems to happen on occasion with my computer as well. i don't know what causes it, and quite frankly, i just ignore it. it can get annoying if multiple characters have this endless 3d line being rendered, though. :(
 Flamehart
01-17-2005, 3:35 PM
Well the only way i've been able to temporarily remedy it, and its like a part of the model pulls off and stretches across the room or something, well the only way i can fix is to save, then reload from where i am and its gone, but itll show up later
 stingerhs
01-18-2005, 6:16 AM
that makes it sound related to video memory or system RAM. but that still wouldn't make much sense, considering i have a 128Mb card and 1Gb of system RAM.

all i know is that i never had that problem on my old geforcefx 5600 w/ 256Mb. thats why i think its the age old problem of the game not completely working with ATI cards or drivers. :(
 Flamehart
01-18-2005, 12:30 PM
Well the funny thing is I only had this problem -recently-. I played this game less than three months ago and I didn't have the problem, and I just got around to reinstalling it when I got a new hard drive and more RAM, and now I'm getting the problem.
 stingerhs
01-18-2005, 4:25 PM
maybe we can find some similarities in our systems. post your specs and video driver version. i'll assume your using kotor version 1.03.

mine are:
System Specs:
athlon 3200 (32bit)
1Gb DDR333 RAM
400Mhz fsb
nForce2 chipset
nForce 5.1 surround audio (5.1 enabled)
Powercolor Radeon 9700 Pro (overclocked)
180 Gb HD (serial connection, ATA)
Windows XP Home SP2

driver versions:
6.14.10.6497(ATI video driver)
6.14.442.30(nForce Audio drivers)
 Flamehart
01-21-2005, 1:40 PM
Pentium 4 2.4 ghz
1 gb PC2700 RAM
C-Media AC97 Onboard Soundcard
ATI Radeon 9500 Pro / 9700 128 mb 8x
80 GB Hard drive & 60 GB Hard drive
Windows XP Professional SP2

6.14.10.6497 ATI Drivers.
 TemporaryTomato
01-21-2005, 10:26 PM
The "line on characters faces" bug is an Ati specific problem, and I don't know of any fix.
To put it simply, KOTOR doesn't like Ati cards(all hail the Source engine :naughty: ).
The latest drivers fix a lot of crashes and bugs though(as well as the horrible frame rates). Maybe more bugs will be fixed later on, like the golden metal shaders(blah, this really bugs me).
 Lord_DarkLight
01-25-2005, 8:48 PM
Well, I get this problem as well, but only on drivers 4.4 or above.

The 'Frame Buffer Effects' setting works fine on 4.3 or earlier versions.

I just hope Kotor II is changed just enough to enjoy the game on the latest version of ATI Drivers.

I have the following Spec:

AMD AthlonXP 2600+
1GB DDR PC2700
ATI Radeon 9800Pro 128MB (Sapphire Brand)

Catalyst Drivers 4.3 = Nice Aura around Light sources (Lightsabers, Lights. etc.) but more prone to crashes, but i have yet to encounter any.

Catalyst Drivers 5.1 = No Aura Around anything, but it is more stable, but i did notice a severe FPS drop on Dantooine, but i don't know if it is the drivers, the game or my machine or all 3. lol

I just hope Kotor II doesn't suffer from the same problem because SWG is starting to get slower and slower with these old drivers.....I think it is a ATI Specific problem, so i doubt ATI Will fix it for Kotor, but if Kotor II has the same problem, they should fix it, since it is a new game....hence it not being out for PC yet. lol
Page: 1 of 1