Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Modding K2 (xbox stuff, for now)

Page: 1 of 3
 StormSinger
12-20-2004, 1:33 PM
I suppose I may as well say something about this since I've been editing this game since the day I brought it home.

Very mod-friendly overall, but tons of new things to work with... and I'm STILL digging through the files.
The upgrades situation is a major departure from the first game. No doubt you're familiar with the basic upgrades in K1... not many there. This time, there are hundreds. There's so much to work with, I'm drowing in possibilities.

The rocket launcher is just too cool. I've changed the original rockets to fire force powers and it work perfectly. No scripting, no fussing, just a click on the old dropdown menu and select the ability... done. Even buff powers work.

The number of things to work with is truly staggering.

Because of so many new scripting functions, there were many scripts I couldn't compile. After adding a number of entries to the nwscript.nss and rebuilding the scripts.bif, I was able to get things working right.
Hopefully, there will be a new compiler for the PC version and I won't have to deal with so many workarounds.
Puppets are nice... now if I could only figure out how to properly assign them to the PC... :rolleyes:

Anyway, I've written around 200 new scripts to support a multi-use armband I'm using to test things out and I do plan on releasing it as an xbox mod (probably a PC mod too when that makes it to the shelves) when I work out all the details.
It should be very useful to anyone who mods the game, since it has dozens of functions. Playing with it is another matter, but you all know how that goes.

So... if anyone has any questions about the game from a modding perspective, ask and I'll answer what I can.

btw... I'm using Ktool for most of the editing. It chokes on some of the out of bounds values, but that's to be expected with the extensive additions to the various 2da files. Overall, it works pretty well.

all for now.... Storm (aka VoxAngel)
 90SK
12-20-2004, 3:22 PM
Thats good news!:) I'm glad to hear that the modding is as good as predicted, though I'm a little befuddled as to how your using KT on an X-Box. Can you enlighten me?
 StormSinger
12-20-2004, 3:38 PM
I set up a root folder on my PC (KotOR 2) and 3 basic content folders, an override folder, plus a couple of working folders.

dataxbox (bifs)
modules (erf & rim)
rimsxbox (also rims, but I don't think Kt is reading them... they may have a header it can't read)

I set the paths and that's about it. Anything Kt can't handle, I edit with Leto.
I have access to dialogs, areas and all bif content, which is pretty much all I need for the time being. I do get 2 errors when I open Kt about a corrupt/altered chitin.key, but it doesn't keep the program from opening. And it hasn't kept me from using it.
 Darkkender
12-20-2004, 4:07 PM
Dude you really should pass this info onto Fred maybe if you can forward him the files he can have an update out for kotor 2 before we even get for the pc. This would be great for the community you know.
 90SK
12-20-2004, 4:13 PM
Can you get at the textures?
 StormSinger
12-20-2004, 5:08 PM
Can't get at the textures as far as I know. Even some of the erf files have an invalid header as far as the GFF editor is concerned.

I'd be happy to help Fred with the files. I'm guessing they're somewhat different (in minor ways) from what the PC version will be - as was K1 -, but he still may be able to work with them.
 tk102
12-20-2004, 5:49 PM
VoxAngel! It's about time you showed up over here! :) I've seen the 2da's, templates.bif, and scripts.bif, along with a number of savegames ;) and it looks like KotOR was simply appended to make K2 for the most part.

Some of the new aspects have me wondering. What are puppets exactly and how are they used? How about TIME -- there seem to be new functions that deal it. (Edit: Eh, maybe those time functions were there all along... )

Good to see you here.
 StormSinger
12-20-2004, 6:38 PM
I just haven't been here for awhile.

There aren't that many file changes that I can see. It's pretty much the same as the first. Even the devs said it would be no more or less moddable than the last... they were right.

Puppets are basically NPC's, but they aren't added to the NPC table, they have their own table. They're assigned to an NPC and both are added to their respective tables.
When the NPC spawns, the puppet spawns with them. They aren't controllable by the player. I like it because it doesn't take up a space in the party.
The nwscript.nss has entries for the basic remote and 2 "others", so it's something to work with.

Basic commands are:

// 836
// RWT-OEI 07/17/04
// This function adds a Puppet to the Puppet Table by
// template.
// Returns 1 if successful, 0 if there was an error
// This does not spawn the puppet or anything. It just
// adds it to the party table and makes it available for
// use down the line. Exactly like AddAvailableNPCByTemplate
int AddAvailablePUPByTemplate( int nPUP, string sTemplate );

// 837
// RWT-OEI 07/17/04
// This function adds a Puppet to the Puppet Table by
// creature ID
// This does not spawn the puppet or anything. It just
// adds it to the party table and makes it available for
// use down the line. Exactly like AddAvailableNPCByTemplate
int AddAvailablePUPByObject( int nPUP, object oPuppet );

// 838
// RWT-OEI 07/17/04
// This function assigns a PUPPET constant to a
// Party NPC. The party NPC -MUST- be in the game
// before calling this.
// Both the PUP and the NPC have
// to be available in their respective tables
int AssignPUP( int nPUP, int nNPC );

// 839
// RWT-OEI 07/17/04
// This function spawns a Party PUPPET.
// This must be used whenever you want a copy
// of the puppet around to manipulate in the game
// since the puppet is stored in the party table
// just like NPCs are. Once a puppet is assigned
// to a party NPC (see AssignPUP), it will spawn
// or disappear whenever its owner joins or leaves
// the party.
// This does not add it to the party automatically,
// just like SpawnNPC doesn't. You must call AddPuppet()
// to actually add it to the party
object SpawnAvailablePUP( int nPUP, location lLocation );

// 840
// RWT-OEI 07/18/04
// This adds an existing puppet object to the party. The
// puppet object must already exist via SpawnAvailablePUP
// and must already be available via AddAvailablePUP*
// functions.
int AddPartyPuppet(int nPUP, object oidCreature);

// 841
// RWT-OEI 07/19/04
// This returns the object ID of the puppet's owner.
// The Puppet's owner must exist and must be in the party
// in order to be found.
// Returns invalid object Id if the owner cannot be found.
object GetPUPOwner(object oPUP = OBJECT_SELF);

// 842
// RWT-OEI 07/19/04
// Returns 1 if the creature is a Puppet in the party.
// Otherwise returns 0. It is possible for a 'party puppet'
// to exist without actually being in the party table.
// such as when SpawnAvailablePUP is used without subsequently
// using AddPartyPuppet to add the newly spawned puppet to
// the party table. A puppet in that in-between state would
// return 0 from this function
int GetIsPuppet(object oPUP = OBJECT_SELF );

Haven't looked into the other yet, but there are a lot of useful commands that were missing before. Should be real interesting to see what people come up with.
 Xavier2
12-20-2004, 7:57 PM
Do you have news on the models format?
 StormSinger
12-20-2004, 8:43 PM
This is the output from mdlops of one of the models.

# mdlops ver: 0.5alpha1 from binary source
# model A_JEDIROBE_001
filedependancy a_jedirobe_001 NULL.mlk
newmodel A_JEDIROBE_001
setsupermodel A_JEDIROBE_001 NULL
classification Character
setanimationscale 1

beginmodelgeom A_JEDIROBE_001
bmin -5 -5 -1
bmax 5 5 10
radius 7
node dummy A_JEDIROBE_001
parent NULL
wirecolor 1 1 1

specular 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000

shininess 0.000000

endnode
node trimesh g_A_JEDIROBE_001a
parent A_JEDIROBE_001
position -0.0600592009723186 -0.148752003908157 0
orientation 0 0 0 0
diffuse 1 1 1
ambient 0 0 0
render 1
shadow 1
wirecolor 1 1 1

specular 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000

shininess 0.000000

bitmap A_JEDIROBE_001
verts 15
 Montross87
12-20-2004, 11:14 PM
Hey StormSinger, I was wondering if you have any tutorials on modding the Xbox? There is a new KSE on Pcgamemods.com that I wanted to use for my KOTOR on XBox, but I have no idea how to start...
 Darkkender
12-21-2004, 4:35 AM
Originally posted by Montross87
Hey StormSinger, I was wondering if you have any tutorials on modding the Xbox? There is a new KSE on Pcgamemods.com that I wanted to use for my KOTOR on XBox, but I have no idea how to start...

there is a link further down in this thread can kotor/kotor2 xbox saves be edited? (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=141312) that was posted by tk102 that leads to a tutorial on soft modding a xbox. It was comprehensive enough that I'm considering getting an xbox even more now just so i can soft mod it.

*My inner and outer geek loves this stuff thats why I built my pc with 2 ethernet adapter connections. :D*
 Dak Vesser
12-24-2004, 5:22 AM
The Puppet table makes sence --> It explains the floating sentry ball buzzing around Bao Dur. You can't control it but it will follow him thus follow you & shoot when it's time to shoot. "Heh!"

Have you noticed that it has no clipping?
I mean you could go right up to it & walk right through. Weird.

Anyways, I have a question for Storm;

I'm having issues with the "Override" folder-->It appears that KotOr II is ignoring the damn thing, leaving me to believe that it's no longer an option.

I put the Override Folder in "/E/TDATA/4c410014/Override/" right? Stuck in a few modded 2da files like creaturespeed and portraits just to test it out,

And Nothing happened.

So is it just me?
Did I put the Override in the wrong place?
Or did the Devz diz-continue it all together?

Because lately. I've had to use the BifEditor, packing it all in the Cache folder --> That's a proccess I'd rather do without.
 StormSinger
12-24-2004, 5:54 AM
Put the override folder in the game directory. K2 doesn't look for it anywhere else (apparently).
 Dak Vesser
12-24-2004, 4:08 PM
:eek: Are you serious?

You mean I have to Rip the whole kotor II on the HDD in order for the Override to work?

We didn't have to do that with the first KoTOR.

Dyum! I guess i'm gonna have to buy a bigger harddrive or settle with just the Cache/Dataxbox for now.

Damn you Obsidian! Fix your damn game! Fix your glitches and FIX the damn Lagging in the Frame Rate because it is slow as hell durring battle.

Let's all tell Obsidian & Lucasarts to give of all us who piad over $50 bux for this Christmas rushed & therefore butchured version, "Give" us an actual working copy (like a Platnum Series) FOR FREE!!!!! :mad:

The PC version will have free updates why can't the xbox? It's not even offering Xbox Live like they said it would! so they lied to us!!!!!

Good going Obsidian! :mad:

But I still I love the game :D
 EnderWiggin
12-24-2004, 5:35 PM
Originally posted by Dak Vesser; Edited for language by EW
:eek: Are you serious?

You mean I have to Rip the whole kotor II on the HDD in order for the Override to work?

We didn't have to do that with the first KoTOR.

Dyum! I guess i'm gonna have to buy a bigger harddrive or settle with just the Cache/Dataxbox for now.

* you Obsidian! Fix your * game! Fix your glitches and FIX the * Lagging in the Frame Rate because it is slow as * durring battle.

Let's all tell Obsidian & Lucasarts to give of all us who piad over $50 bux for this Christmas rushed & therefore butchured version, "Give" us an actual working copy (like a Platnum Series) FOR FREE!!!!! :mad:

The PC version will have free updates why can't the xbox? It's not even offering Xbox Live like they said it would! so they lied to us!!!!!

Good going Obsidian! :mad:

But I still I love the game :D

I sense some anger here...... :p

And the answers to your questions - It's because the PC has more memory, more capability, and most importantly, iT iS tHe uLtImAtE gAmInG mAcHiNe!!!!

_EW_
 StormSinger
12-24-2004, 6:16 PM
Personal preferences aside, the fact that there is no DLC for K2 is exactly the reason the override doesn't work the way it did before.
K1 was set up to look for the extra content folder where the saves are kept.
K2 = no DLC and no need to look for the extra folder. Still, it does use one if the game is on the HD.
 Dak Vesser
12-24-2004, 7:29 PM
Originally posted by StormSinger
Personal preferences aside, the fact that there is no DLC for K2 is exactly the reason the override doesn't work the way it did before.
K1 was set up to look for the extra content folder where the saves are kept.
K2 = no DLC and no need to look for the extra folder. Still, it does use one if the game is on the HD.

Well, that's good. At least it has that.

I was a little worried at first that Obsidian might have taken out the Override so no one could mess around with their new textures and what not.

They did change the headers(I think) on the .wav files so Winamp or Windows Media Player wouldn't play them. K2 does have all the music as .wma format but it's all mono (no Stereo) "How Odd"

K1's xbox version, you could play all the .wav & .wma in stereo.

Maybe if I sent Fred Tetra one of them, he could fiqure out a way to get'em playable if he wanted to.

(Personal Note) As for the hard drive, I'll just wait till after Xmas and buy "A Much BIGGER ONE" . I have some other games allready ripped -->So of course there's no more room for a 3 gig RPG game.

"Hard Drive too small" Now that's the story of my life! :D
 Montross87
12-24-2004, 8:11 PM
StormSinger, I was wondering if you have found any of this items in the game.

Malaks armor
Malaks lightsaber
and Jolees robes.
 Lorden Darkblade
12-25-2004, 11:59 AM
I can't wait to start modding KotOR 2 :D :D :cool:
 StormSinger
12-25-2004, 12:14 PM
The robes and armor are in the item templates, so they weren't really difficult to dig up.
The saber is another matter... there's an entry in the dialog.tlk "Malak's Lightsaber", but that isn't a definite indication of the item being in the game itself. I haven't found it myself, but it may be there somewhere.
 Montross87
12-25-2004, 6:41 PM
Great thanks, I look forword to your KOTOR saves coming up, keep us informed!
 Dak Vesser
12-25-2004, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Uchiha Itachi
I can't wait to start modding KotOR 2 :D :D :cool:

May I suggest that you play it first before you mod it :D
 Montross87
12-30-2004, 12:12 PM
I noticed someone uploaded your "HK-47 factory" side quest to codejunkies.com, and didnt give any credit to you for making it. =/
 StormSinger
12-30-2004, 2:54 PM
Noticed that, did you? Yeah, someone was having trouble loading it to their card, so I pointed him to the original and he had no trouble with it.

Cheap rip, it happens.
 Doc Valentine
12-30-2004, 5:36 PM
Ah, I see the secret of the xbox version modding is out. I too have done some tweaks to my game to enhance it to my liking. I have moded the music as i did in the old kotor to sound more starwars like, though i left some as they were because they were much less neverwinternightsish than the last kotor. But i see very good things coming from this. If we start modding the xbox version, we should have a good knowledge base of its modding when the PC version comes out, soon i hope.
 90SK
12-30-2004, 6:24 PM
Malak's Saber was included in the list of items in the official guide, so I think it would probably be in the game (though some of the stuff in that guide I know to be wrong, so who knows if they actually got it right).

Edit: Say, is it possible to upload those music files, from KotOR II? Personally, I've been dying to find out how the score is.
 Tdcquicksilver5
12-31-2004, 3:19 AM
I noticed someone uploaded your "HK-47 factory" side quest to codejunkies.com, and didnt give any credit to you for making it. =/

Noticed that, did you? Yeah, someone was having trouble loading it to their card, so I pointed him to the original and he had no trouble with it.

Cheap rip, it happens.
Um were is the original?
 StormSinger
12-31-2004, 9:40 AM
The original is here: http://home.alltel.net/jls31/)
 Montross87
01-03-2005, 8:19 AM
Oops ill just edit this post, forgot about spoilers.
 Darth333
01-03-2005, 10:41 AM
Montross87, I added spoiler tags to your post. Most of the people on this forum don't have TSL yet so please use spoiler tags whenever you post storyline elements from TSL as per our Forum Rules (http://www.lucasforums.com/announcement.php?s=&forumid=324) concerning spoilers.

If you wish to discuss TSL's storyline from a non-modding perspective, please do so either in the Telos Tourist Bureau (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=575) (general storyline discussion) or the Padawan's Lounge (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=523) (strategy discussion - help requests) .
 Mandalorian X
01-03-2005, 7:07 PM
When do you expect to release these saves?
 StormSinger
01-04-2005, 1:48 PM
Originally posted by Mandalorian X
When do you expect to release these saves?

About 2 weeks, roughly.
 tk102
01-04-2005, 2:39 PM
Too bad there's no KotOR2 AuthKey to be tinkered with... boo hoo.
 Dak Vesser
01-04-2005, 5:28 PM
Ok, just bought a new HDD for my Xb0x 120 gig for 90 bux. Now I can rip all my games "Yay!"

I need a lesson in "Feats.2da" 101 I want to know the right way on how to , lets say give the PC ability to have "Wookie rage" or pro.rist rocket and so'what'have'ya.

But of course when I do it, all the wrong things happen like not even making it through the character generation. I get to the feats, and all the sudden the game blanks out and goes back to the trailor! And then I say "@#$* , $#%@!!"

So, If someone wants to help me out and give me an example of the right numbers in feats.2da for "Wookie Rage" that would be great. ThAnX..
 Darkkender
01-05-2005, 4:23 AM
Originally posted by Dak Vesser
Ok, just bought a new HDD for my Xb0x 120 gig for 90 bux. Now I can rip all my games "Yay!"

I need a lesson in "Feats.2da" 101 I want to know the right way on how to , lets say give the PC ability to have "Wookie rage" or pro.rist rocket and so'what'have'ya.

But of course when I do it, all the wrong things happen like not even making it through the character generation. I get to the feats, and all the sudden the game blanks out and goes back to the trailor! And then I say "@#$* , $#%@!!"

So, If someone wants to help me out and give me an example of the right numbers in feats.2da for "Wookie Rage" that would be great. ThAnX..

If your trying to mod kotor 2 then stop right there. As of yet it can't be modded with kseas tk102 has expressed on this threadcan kotor/kotor2 xbox saves be edited? (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=141312)

here is a quote from tk102 there
@keshire: Yes you can modify everything with a hexeditor if you like, but you will need to resign the savegame. KSE can modify KotOR2 games no problem BUT! it cannot resign them so you are left with a corrupted savegame.
 Mandalorian X
01-05-2005, 4:39 AM
Cool, Ill know where to come around middle of the month. Thanks stormsinger.
__________________________________________________ __
"Always a pleasure to meat a jedi." :fett:
 Dak Vesser
01-05-2005, 5:18 AM
Modding Gamesaves is a waste of time on the xbox.

I'm talking about editing the feats.2da, the spells.2da files within the "Bifs" that are in the Dataxbox folder. I can edit all the files and put them in the Override "no Problems" but I can't seem to get the Play Character to have other class abilities.

I've been having the same problem with kotor 1. Trying to get the special feats that belong to other classes like "Force Jump for the Guardian" to be available to the Sentinal as well but then the game quits and goes back to the trailor. I don't even get a chance to make it to the Prologue.

Both k1 and k2 are doing the same thing.

So I know I'm not putting the right numbers in place somewhere.
But other than that I can pretty much mod any file that there is.

kotor II does have a slight problem with the "ItemList" in the UTC files "Not all but some"

I was able to change the PC's clothes to the Onderon outfits within the appearience.2da so this game is moddable.
 Darkkender
01-05-2005, 5:25 AM
Can you get some sort of screenshots of what you are trying to mod or change for your 2da files or better yet email me a copy of them and I'll take a look be sure your subject says something like "here are those 2da files you were going to look at."
 tk102
01-05-2005, 5:44 AM
Dak Vesser opined:Modding Gamesaves is a waste of time on the xbox. Some would say modding KotOR at all is a waste of time. Others may disagree.
 StormSinger
01-05-2005, 5:46 AM
I've been editing K2 with Ktool and Leto since it hit the shelves. As I've mentioned, Ktool has a few "out of bounds" issues, but nothing I can't work around.
The 2da editor works perfectly.

Changing feats through the 2da is no different than it was in the first game.
All you have to do is concentrate on a few of the columns, you really don't have to sweat the others.

mincharlevel - do you want this feat available at a certain level? If not, ****
prereqfeat1/2 - do you want it available only when other feats have been gained? If not, ****
allclassescanuse - 1 (just to make sure)
Then you get to your classes. Say you wanted feat #200 to be granted to a Guardian at level 1.
Go to row 200, then across to the jdg_list/jdg_granted/jdg_recom columns. You'll also see a "jdg_pc_granted", set this the same as jdg_list.

jdg_list - 3 (1 will make it available, 4 excludes a feat from the class list)
jdg_granted - 1 (or whatever level you want the feat to be granted)
jdg_recom - # (if you want the feat to be recommended when you hit "Y", enter the char level here. Otherwise use -1)

The spells.2da is a bit different, but you can do the same thing.
 Dak Vesser
01-05-2005, 8:16 AM
to TK;

Nah it's k0ol, I didn't mean it like that. I'm just saying that to have to resign the sig files seems to be too complicated just for a game save. If someone is willing to go out of their to have a crack at it then that would make it posible for those with the non-moded xbox to work with.

But anyways;

Darkkender if you want I could email you the appearience.2da which has the altered clothes for the pc, also replaces one of the female's faces into Bastila's ,The spells.2da for the class powers along with the feats.2da.

Heres the thing, I believe that if the spells and feats.2da get modified--> as in your main play character now has powers and abilities he/she's not supposed to have at that level,or wrong class, then I don't think the game will grant prestige class. " I could be wrong"

As you know these files go into the game's Override folder, Start a new game. You can edit these files with Fred Tetra's Kotor Tool.
 Darkkender
01-05-2005, 8:56 AM
go ahead and email them to me. Now I won't gurantuee success if these are for KOTOR2 but I might be able to find whats wrong by comparing them to older kotor1 versions.
 Dak Vesser
01-05-2005, 10:45 AM
Dark, I tried to email you but it said that you're not excepting incoming. So if you can pm me with another email address. I can send these over.
 StormSinger
01-05-2005, 11:34 AM
Let me try this one more time.

The game doesn't care what you do as far as feats and powers. You can mess with those 2da files all you want and still get the second class.

In fact, you can get that second class even if you already have one.
 Dak Vesser
01-05-2005, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by StormSinger
Let me try this one more time.

The game doesn't care what you do as far as feats and powers. You can mess with those 2da files all you want and still get the second class.

In fact, you can get that second class even if you already have one.

LOL! it's funny the way you said it.

Ok so it must just be something else wrong with what I'm doing or trying to do and that is to learn how to get the 2das to not reset the game back to the Trailor.
 StormSinger
01-05-2005, 12:06 PM
I'd have to see the files myself to be able to tell you where the error comes from.
 manymoose
01-05-2005, 1:18 PM
How do you extract game data from the xbox onto the pc?
 StormSinger
01-05-2005, 1:39 PM
Just an ftp transfer. Either from the game disc, or the folder it's installed in (if it's installed on the xbox HD).
 Mandalorian X
01-05-2005, 1:43 PM
These are Xbox Save right? You said two weeks, good to hear it.
Page: 1 of 3