Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Giving movements to created models?

Page: 1 of 1
 DarkBlade2Z
11-30-2004, 2:23 PM
Does anyone know if it's possible to give models that we create movements in-game? What I mean is, if I model a new droid for the game, can I put it in without it just standing there?

It may not be possible because I think some of the specific movements are hardcoded to the game, but if it is this could open up tons of new possibilities for creations :D
 Mono_Giganto
11-30-2004, 2:37 PM
Those movements are referred to as animations, and depending on the model, you can edit a model and retain animations. However, what you're asking, the answer is "no" at the time being.
 DarkBlade2Z
11-30-2004, 2:42 PM
:( Too bad...
 pie_man101
11-30-2004, 2:53 PM
There have been lots of limitations in KOTOR in terms of modeling and animation. To my knowledge, no one has been able to build a new model OR give new animations.
Speaking of these problems, has anyone actually asked any of the LucasArts devs about tools or programs used, or possibly obtaining these programs. Im pretty sure they wouldn't mind selling the tools (keyword: SELLING) and making even more money.
 DarkBlade2Z
11-30-2004, 2:55 PM
......But what about all the new guns/sabers coming from the creative minds on the board? They are all custom models from Gmax or 3Dmax I believe.
 Mono_Giganto
11-30-2004, 2:56 PM
Pie man means body models, which need animations and the like. They might be nice enough to sell, but who here on the boards is nice enough to buy? Hint hint guys.
 pie_man101
11-30-2004, 2:57 PM
Im pretty sure those are just edits to original textures
 ChAiNz.2da
11-30-2004, 3:00 PM
Originally posted by pie_man101
There have been lots of limitations in KOTOR in terms of modeling and animation. To my knowledge, no one has been able to build a new model OR give new animations.
Speaking of these problems, has anyone actually asked any of the LucasArts devs about tools or programs used, or possibly obtaining these programs. Im pretty sure they wouldn't mind selling the tools (keyword: SELLING) and making even more money.

As much as I think we'd all like, I wouldn't count on the 'selling' or even divulging the tools used. Other than legal obligations (I'm sure Darth333 could enlighten us), no developer in their right mind is going to give (sell) us the "actual" tools of the trade. I can guarantee the devs of NWN didn't use the NWN toolkit to make the game...

It'd be like like someone working for Pepsi asking a Coke employee what they used to make their formula...

Too bad though, I'd love to know what they did use (especially to get the :swear: animations to work...)
 DarkBlade2Z
11-30-2004, 3:02 PM
Me too, because like I said, if we could make our own people/creature models that would open up many interesting oppertunities for modeling and such.
 Darkkender
11-30-2004, 3:03 PM
Im pretty sure those are just edits to original textures

Not sure but have you not seen svosh's WIP thread, seps WIP thread, or T7's lightsabers an elegant weapon thread.

Not to mention cchargrins post recently about mdlops 0.4

because we can implant new models now into kotor thanks to cchargrin. They aren't just texture jobs being done.
 Darth333
11-30-2004, 3:04 PM
Originally posted by ChAiNz
As much as I think we'd all like, I wouldn't count on the 'selling' or even divulging the tools used. Other than legal obligations (I'm sure Darth333 could enlighten us), no developer in their right mind is going to give (sell) us the "actual" tools of the trade. I can guarantee the devs of NWN didn't use the NWN toolkit to make the game... Selling this info to a bunch of modders? Jeez! the only ones who would make money out of this would be lawyers :D therefore no business interest...(except for lawyers, of course...:rolleyes: )
 Mono_Giganto
11-30-2004, 3:05 PM
Originally posted by darkkender
Not sure but have you not seen svosh's WIP thread, seps WIP thread, or T7's lightsabers an elegant weapon thread.

Not to mention cchargrins post recently about mdlops 0.4

because we can implant new models now into kotor thanks to cchargrin. They aren't just texture jobs being done.

I see I've been skipped... :( Just 'cause I don't make LIGHTSABERS!!! Oh well I'll make your list with my next mod. :D
 pie_man101
11-30-2004, 3:05 PM
To clear something up, I didnt mean to get the tools used to make the game, but rather a method of decompiling the hardcoded code. Another question, where exactly is this "hard code" located in the file.

Thnx
 DarkBlade2Z
11-30-2004, 3:11 PM
:p What have I done with this thread! I've created a legal and model monster! :p
 pie_man101
11-30-2004, 3:15 PM
oh no!!!!!!!!!!!! duck and cover, duck and cover, duck and cover,duck and cover!!!!!! lol
 DarkBlade2Z
11-30-2004, 3:18 PM
:D
 ChAiNz.2da
11-30-2004, 3:25 PM
To clear something up, I didnt mean to get the tools used to make the game, but rather a method of decompiling the hardcoded code.

Knowing Lucas and his team, he probably developed his own software to compile and decompile code :fist:. Afterall, he is the Father of non-linear editing (which puts food on my table). The available editing software he wanted for his movies wasn't available, so what did the braniac do? He created his own editing system... :eek:

What we need is someone who works on the 'inside' who has loose lips ;) hehe

That OR convince the Lucas Team they absolutely need Fred to be on their dev team :dev11:
 Darth333
11-30-2004, 3:30 PM
Originally posted by ChAiNz

That OR convince the Lucas Team they absolutely need Fred to be on their dev team :dev11:
Nooooooooooo! Then he would have to sign one of those "non-disclosure" agreements that we lawyers draft :eek:
 DarkBlade2Z
11-30-2004, 3:33 PM
Something tells me we can only wish for that too happen, although you never know....

On a random side note, if you click on my profile it says I'm a 'Bantha Cleaner', but in my posts I see 'Bantha Fodder' :D (Silly Bantha's...)
 Mono_Giganto
11-30-2004, 3:34 PM
Originally posted by Darth333
Nooooooooooo! Then he would have to sign one of those "non-disclosure" agreements that we lawyers draft :eek:

That means he can't help us, right? :D
 DarkBlade2Z
11-30-2004, 3:34 PM
Darth333, I don't suppose you known of any known loop-holes to those things? :o
 ChAiNz.2da
11-30-2004, 3:37 PM
Originally posted by Darth333

[employer examining Fred's application] Yes, I see everything is in order here...glad to have you on board Mr. Fried Tester....

*one could only hope that would work in the 'Real World'* :p
 T7nowhere
11-30-2004, 4:19 PM
Before we go back on topic, I think LA leased all the tech tools to make TSL from Bioware.

On the subject making new Droids with animations cchargin has suggested that it might be possible to use the replacer function in mdlops 4 to add new droids. This means though that you will have to choose an exsisting Droid and build yours based on that.

It is just theory, to my knowledge no one has tested this yet on Droids. The replacer Function can replace any Trimesh, but there re no guaranties the model will work in-game.
 cchargin
11-30-2004, 7:12 PM
Hello all,

Yep, animations have been giving me trouble since the beginning. Some of the animations are stored in a format that makes no sense to me. I can extract them, but the data does not fit the normal animation format so garbage gets exported.

I have recieved many offers of help, but no one has been able to tell me how these odd animations work.
 FunSolo
11-30-2004, 9:34 PM
maybe simply ask the designers :D
tell them youґre doin the same in your free time and tryin to take a look into it. maybe they will tell you something ;)
 DarkBlade2Z
12-01-2004, 11:20 AM
I don't think they would give up that information willingly :D

And building a new droid was just an example, because it was the first thing to pop into my head.
 90SK
12-01-2004, 12:16 PM
Perhapse when TSL comes out we can begin building models off the new animations fetured in the game, and place them in KotOR (unless they're are legal problems). Theoretically they would work, considering the are the two games are nearly identical technically.
 Mono_Giganto
12-01-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by CaptainSkye
the two games are nearly identical technically.

Except the

model format. :rolleyes:
 Xavier2
12-01-2004, 1:37 PM
Originally posted by DarkBlade2Z
I don't think they would give up that information willingly :D

And building a new droid was just an example, because it was the first thing to pop into my head.
I tried last night to make a custom Droid with the new replacer feature of Mdlops, but the game crashed.:(
 pie_man101
12-01-2004, 4:13 PM
Isnt it scary how this thread has three topics?
And Darth333, are there any loopholes *crossing fingers and toes* to the modding equipment by lucasarts?
 DarkBlade2Z
12-02-2004, 11:12 AM
Yes Pie_man, yes it is..... But on the bright side at least someone tried it out, thanks for bringing us the news Xavier2!
 Xavier2
12-02-2004, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by DarkBlade2Z
Yes Pie_man, yes it is..... But on the bright side at least someone tried it out, thanks for bringing us the news Xavier2!
Of course it doesn't mean it isn't possible. I may have missed something important. Let's keep trying.:)
 Juha Avery
12-04-2004, 12:36 AM
Now when you guys actually can insert models instead of just retexturing things, could someone make a katana like in kill bill or
Weapons from lotr? WOuld be like soooo cool. :p
 PoM
12-04-2004, 12:54 AM
And a master ring that can shoot force lightning and make you invisible!
 Xavier2
12-04-2004, 1:52 AM
Originally posted by Juha Avery
Now when you guys actually can insert models instead of just retexturing things, could someone make a katana like in kill bill or
Weapons from lotr? WOuld be like soooo cool. :p
I think svosh was working on one.
 Darth333
12-04-2004, 2:53 AM
Err...I was just trying to figure out what this thread was about...there are soooooo many topics....

About the katana type of sword, look at svцsh's "ice sliver" at page 4 of his WIP thread (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=128845&perpage=40&pagenumber=4)...and) don't forget that we have a mod requests sticky to post your mod requests... ;)

* inserts key in lock*
Page: 1 of 1