Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Endor Siege

Page: 2 of 7
 TK-425
12-18-2004, 3:28 PM
Thats fine.
 wedge2211
12-18-2004, 3:52 PM
Originally posted by wedge2211
If you move the texture on the control point patches up just a tad, you won't have those wierd floating rings above the gradients.
I also still think the fog should have a brown component, less blue-green and more brown-green (think of the colors you'd see in a forest as it faded into the distance).

You can make a skybox show through fog by adding the line "q3map_nofog" or "nofog" to the sky shader under all the surfaceparms. I forget which specifically, try q3map_nofog first. Then, you can use the skybox as a foghull and the game will stop drawing your map at some distant point beyond the fog, but you'll always be able to see the sky images. I used this trick in my Corellian Platform Encounter duel to achieve a lightning-in-foggy-storm effect.
 monsoontide
12-18-2004, 4:13 PM
You may need to hit "refresh" in order to see the new pix above.

I really don't want to have much fog - like in the last two screenshots (It's supposed to be more of a haze - and I' have it blue since making it more yellow or brown makes everything look really dirty - besides, distance haze tends more towards blue - since that's what I'm trying for rather than a fog as such - but I'm still tinkering and these are by no means final in any way) but it's that whole fps thing and I'm trying to disguise my distancecull settings.
 Lindsey
12-18-2004, 6:03 PM
Nice Battlefront textures :D
 monsoontide
12-18-2004, 8:47 PM
Thanks... :) They've been very handy... Just like using a regular texture set - though it's taken some work to convert them to JA
 wedge2211
12-19-2004, 5:47 AM
Originally posted by monsoontide
making it more yellow or brown makes everything look really dirty
You can probably avoid this by making the fog not be drawn until some distance away from the player. That can be achieved with a worldspawn key that I unfortunately don't know...think GothiX does. That way things'll look "clean" until they suddenly fade into the forest.
 GothiX
12-19-2004, 7:45 AM
_fogstart

And those terrain textures look horrible. Relief should be achieved via architecture, not textures.
 Nokill
12-19-2004, 10:42 AM
i have to say there is some nice progress in this map hope it will keep on getting better :)
 monsoontide
12-19-2004, 2:22 PM
GothicX - what are you talking about????

I know the ewok platform textures look terrible, but I haven't had a chance to "res them up" yet, and haven't decided the best way to make the platforms yet, whether using brushes, or making a md3 or ase - but it's a trade of between detail and fps, quality and speed.
As for the terrain, it was generated by that terrain generating program. The textures themselves are unforunately small, but since I can't just wander out into a redwood forrest and take photo's I'm kinda limited.
If you know where I can get better redwood forrest textures, by all means let me know.
Currently I'm just trying to get the damn map working fast enough for multi-player.
I am always open to helpful advice and input.
 Lil Killa
12-19-2004, 11:06 PM
you should make the triangles those "limbs" are on a lot bigger. It's a huge pole with some green sticking out of it

http://www.americasfirstladies.com/redwood-tree.jpg)
 monsoontide
12-20-2004, 6:06 AM
I've built a couple more tree models, so will try and get them in the game soon.
 GothiX
12-20-2004, 8:00 AM
Why use Easygen when you can use sweet new alphaMod blending? Bah, people these days. Also, default JA has better, more flat textures, that'd work quite well for this map.
 wedge2211
12-20-2004, 9:53 AM
You could make some nice low-growth vegetation by making a leafy alpha shader and putting it on some patch meshes that snake all over the ground...that'd add some depth to the terrain.
 monsoontide
12-20-2004, 1:02 PM
alphaMod blending??? Perhaps if you have a tutorial (or link to tutorial) - really, I'm just trying to make this look as best I can.
The JA textures are nice but don't look like redwood forrest textures - they tend to be a bit more er... "swampy" looking.
I'll probably have to make my own - just not yet.

I've been trying to make a sprite shader for undergrowth and while it works fine as a shader by itself, I can't get it to work as part of the terrain shader - it shows up in occasional places and then only from certain angles.

Does anyone know the location of some sprite shader tutorials - it seems easy enough and my early tests looked fine - there just seems to be some conflict between the terrain shader and generating sprites.

And again, please feel free to make suggestions for what you'd like to see / be able to do as part of the Siege map.
 Pahricida
12-20-2004, 3:56 PM
Socks Tutorial on Simland:

http://www.planetquake.com/simland/pages/articles/terrain1_1.htm)

What GothiX is talking of is the
"DotProduct2 + Alpha Fade Terrain" Function.

I'm also fiddling around with it ... it's by far the most advanced way to texturize a terrain in Q3.
 TK-425
12-20-2004, 5:10 PM
 monsoontide
12-20-2004, 5:45 PM
Hmm... I must be missing something - Isn't that what Easy-Gen does - alpha blending two textures together over a series of brushes to create seamlessly mapped terrain? It just all depends on the textures you are using I guess.

Thanks for the ref pix. I'm gettin 4 days off over Xmas and another 4 over New Year so hope to get some work done...

Current priority is to get the whole Siege thing up and working so if anyone is interested I'll be able to do some ALPHA testing to get the gameplay right, then I'll concentrate on getting all the detailing right.

On my last SIEGE map I think I ended up changeing about 50% of the level after the last BETA test 'cos everyone was having trouble with the lifts.
 TK-425
12-20-2004, 6:00 PM
Your welcome. Btw are you going to start from scratch with the AT-ST?(Ooo I hope you are going to) And I cant wait to see the animations:naughty:
 GothiX
12-21-2004, 5:36 AM
Hmm... I must be missing something - Isn't that what Easy-Gen does - alpha blending two textures together over a series of brushes to create seamlessly mapped terrain? It just all depends on the textures you are using I guess.

No, Easygen only uses stupid triangles. TWith this, you can make it all by hand. As well, Easygen doesn't do things as smoothly, and as CUSTOMISED as alphaMod.
 Mongo05
12-21-2004, 1:38 PM
Oh yeah, well Easygen saves you time when you actually have a life!!
 monsoontide
12-21-2004, 3:50 PM
Stop that now... :mad:

Yes, I see, I've read the article a bit more thoroughly - or more to say I've glanced at it a bit more thoroughly. But you'd still have to build the terrain out of brushes anyway - I was planning to do it that way but I have MAJOR time contraints on how long I can work on this each day.
While I'm sure you are very busy yourself GothicX, perhaps you could assist me with making something better. I'm all out for making this as good as it can be as I've said before, and sometimes I just don't have either the experience or time to take care of certain aspects as well as I'd like... (Testing and retesting until you get something just right can eat up sooo much time!)

P.S. Is there a way to rotate (Non animated - just for positioning within Radiant) an .md3 model around an axis other than the vertical? (I haven't researched this yet - just thought somebody may know)
 Mongo05
12-21-2004, 5:06 PM
I think you have to remodel it which sucks.
 monsoontide
12-21-2004, 5:23 PM
Which is why I'm currently using the flat textures for the Ewok stuff...
 GothiX
12-21-2004, 9:46 PM
MonGo is wrong, use an "angles" key, use an X Y Z value.

And I'd love to help, but I don't map anymore, I'm afraid. You can always PM me though, if you have questions.

As for time constraints: It's Christmas soon, holidays should brig some time (assuming your boss is friendly enough to give you those days off), and hey, it's not like you have a deadline, right?
 Mongo05
12-22-2004, 5:04 AM
Oh, I know that GothiX, I thought he meant like flipping it upside down you know?
 wedge2211
12-22-2004, 4:52 PM
Eh, you just rotate it till it's upside-down. For freestanding things like trees, the angles x y z key is all you need.

And hey, isn't there a way to make a shader generate copies of a model on its surface? The might help with grass/bushes/shrubs. Downside would be, of course, that you can't clip them, so don't try it with trees.
 monsoontide
12-22-2004, 6:53 PM
I have the code for generating models on a shader surface, but I don't know if it works. Also I was reading another thread and it said that ydnar had removed that code from the current version of q3map - but I haven't confirmed that for myself yet...
 GothiX
12-23-2004, 4:27 AM
surfaceModel worked for me last time I tried.
 lauser
12-25-2004, 10:21 PM
Wow..not a bad map. Not as good as mine but not bad. :P

Been a long time chaps. I don't map anymore like Gothix there. I am thinking of finishing up 2 or more old JK2 maps lying around though.

Monsoon, I gave LDJ all my files regarding my ENDOR map for JA. If you like maybe email him or I might be able to get some old PK3s lying around. That's 'IF' you want them. I spent a while building a terrain model for a portalsky that turned out real nice. This is also included in the PK3. Pahricida has my tree model you might like. I don't know if he fixed it though...(was Z fighting :S)

If anyones interested you can email me for the files since I wont be needing them. Lots of custom textures and models by me. Map itself is UBER BIG.

rkbrode@hotmail.com

Originally posted by GothiX
surfaceModel worked for me last time I tried.

surfacemodel = PWNS

Good seeing you guys still at it........:D
 Neon
12-30-2004, 10:43 AM
Hmm, but we also need ewoks :)
 Ockniel
12-31-2004, 9:06 AM
okay, please, how do you do the alpha map? that link you gave had a paragraph about it, but no tutorial, please, I need to do something with texture blending, but I have NO idea how to work easy gen :(

time consuming is okay with me, and I'm willing to take a bunch of time to learn it if I can get a hold of a link, please, gimme!! :P

oh, and your map is awsome, you going to release a beta anytime soon?
 monsoontide
12-31-2004, 10:29 PM
Busy with the usual... Holidays, Work, Family, Food Poisoning etc...

Update sometime in New Year...
 lauser
01-03-2005, 9:37 AM
Same here Monsoon. Must be nice being SITH J Cull with all that free time he has to map hmm? :smirk2:
 Nokill
01-03-2005, 11:17 AM
you woud almost think his work is to make maps ;)
or he is realy ritch so he can have all the free time
 monsoontide
01-06-2005, 4:28 PM
Just noticed that someone has gone and made an Ewok player model http://www.pcgamemods.com/9547/)

Could come in useful....

In the meanwhile - I have nothing new to add as I haven't done anything over Xmas/New Years as I've been sick and felling rather run down.

However things are picking up again so I expect to get back into it this weekend sometime...
 LightNinja
01-07-2005, 1:25 AM
Just noticed that someone has gone and made an Ewok player model http://www.pcgamemods.com/9547/)

go to showcase forum>modelling any time xD
 monsoontide
01-10-2005, 11:24 AM
OK... Finally got back into it last night and sorted out the floor plan of one of the structures in the imperial sector (Third attempt on this one building!)

So hopefully should have some more progress shots soon.
 mergatroid
01-11-2005, 12:51 AM
The third is the lucky one,I hope.
 monsoontide
01-16-2005, 8:39 AM
OK, managed to get most of the SIEGE stuff set up over the weekend. still have to draw the icons and map (just using temp stuff for now.), but all the teams/classes are working (with much tweaking needed for them I imagine). I've also started doing the lighting, though that will take a while.
I managed to get the shader working where it places models on the surface of the shader, so there are now ferns dotted all over the landscape. It looks OK.

Now I just have to get the objectives to work!!!
 monsoontide
01-20-2005, 1:51 PM
Rest assured, I'm still diligently working on this.
Just getting a start on the Ewok village section.
Hope to have it ready for ALPHA testing in a month at latest.
That test will be simply to determine that the basic premise works and to ascertain what needs changing.
ALPHA release will be limited to anyone on this forum who is interested...
 monsoontide
01-23-2005, 10:30 AM
Started work modeling the Rebel Commando last night (Currently I have Jan standing in for this model in the team classes).
Roughed out the general shape by grabbing the various bits and pieces from some of the Standard Raven models and then began working on sculpting the custom parts - Helmet, backpack, etc and roughing out a few modifications to the existing model - pockets, jacket hood, funky boot coverings etc...
Should have a unskinned preview ready by the end of the week.
Meanwhile as far as the map goes, its mainly just tweaking all the obkectives to work properly, since there's a faily complicated sequence of triggers and realys for each objective - I know I should script it, but I'm kinda lazy when it comes to scripting (I only use it when I can't find any other way to accomplish something!)
Anyway, I have it all PK3'd and up and running.
I'm sticking in some BOT reinforcements for both teams to pad out player numbers for now.

Screenshots will materialize soon. No... really ;)
 Nokill
01-23-2005, 10:30 PM
yay more screens :D
i hope this will be a realy nice map ;)
 TK-425
01-24-2005, 1:58 PM
Originally posted by Nokill
yay more screens :D
i hope this will be a realy nice map ;)
<sarcasm="Why would you say that in front of monsoontides face?">
 Nokill
01-24-2005, 9:56 PM
Originally posted by TK42235
<sarcasm="Why would you say that in front of monsoontides face?">

erm....
 TK-425
01-25-2005, 2:49 AM
i hope this will be a realy nice map
:dozey:
 Nokill
01-25-2005, 3:32 AM
Originally posted by TK42235
:dozey:

well erm... sorry....

this map will suk is that better? :o
 TK-425
01-25-2005, 3:45 AM
LOL. Well, I was pretty much joking anyway:D
 GothiX
01-25-2005, 5:01 AM
Best. Post. Ever.

Just a shame that somebody lacked the education needed to understand it.
 Nokill
01-25-2005, 6:22 AM
Originally posted by GothiX
Best. Post. Ever.

Just a shame that somebody lacked the education needed to understand it.

like you?
 El Sitherino
01-25-2005, 9:26 AM
Yar!

Keep it calm boys. And try not to drift too far off topic. <3
Page: 2 of 7