Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

the "get a life" brigade

Page: 1 of 1
 Leper Messiah
11-23-2004, 9:38 AM
of the many things that annoy me, one on my mind at the moment are the "get a life" brigade, people who have a go at you for bein into sci fi and such. the other day i was readin my book and someone asked me what it was, and said it was a Star Wars book, which earned me an odd look, then the other day i was talkin to someone else about the various message boards i go to on the internet which earned me a "dude, you should really get out more" never mind that i get out quite enough (i go to the pub from about half eight till closing time at least four times a week, as a student should) and have plenty of mates (if i do anything too much its playing Fifa 2005 in a friends room) i resent, same as i resent someone coming to my door and telling me to become a christian, someone telling me i cant be into whatever i like. these people must die!
 ET Warrior
11-23-2004, 10:11 AM
I'm 100% with you on that. Being a computer science major means that i'm surrounded by like-minded people all the time, so I don't deal with it very much, but since CU IS a liberal arts college as well, on main campus areas sometimes I'll draw funny looks.

Like one day I was talking to a friend of mine and he was going to a test and I was going home and I said "Well, I'm going home to watch Star Wars (DVD's came out that day) and a girl walked by and made a funny laugh sound and looked at me funny.

And my friend was all "Oh come on lady, he's an engineer give him a break!"

:D
 Spider AL
11-23-2004, 12:08 PM
I find that situation apt also, ET, as the girl in question is probably obsessed with something much less exciting than a movie series... like hair or shoes or a soap opera or reality TV or something. People are such silly hypocrites.
 stingerhs
11-23-2004, 6:30 PM
to quote a friend of mine:
we're all geeks in our own ways.
:D
 Leper Messiah
11-24-2004, 1:34 AM
Originally posted by Spider AL
I find that situation apt also, ET, as the girl in question is probably obsessed with something much less exciting than a movie series... like hair or shoes or a soap opera or reality TV or something. People are such silly hypocrites.

hahaha right on the money, women especially will look down their noses at sci fi fans then go home and oftentimes shout and get upset about events in Eastenders (i use the same example to support following wrestling - people watch soap operas and behave as if theyre real, i watch wrestling knowing that its fake, which has the better purchase on reality hmm?)
 Kain
11-24-2004, 8:33 AM
Heres how I look at it:

If I'm nerding it up, talking Star Wars or D&D or whatever, and some total stranger bitch/prick/tranny looks at me funny or whispers to their friend and they giggle while looking at me, I introduce them to my little friend - Mr Middle Finger. Who in the blue hell are they to decide whats cool and whats nerdy?

Who gives a flying rat's arse what other people think - especially people you don't know and they have their heads up their asses. If your friend gets really upset that you talk about SW, they're not your friend. If a girl doesn't accept you for who you are, you don't need her. And most importantly of all: Do what makes ya happy. You'll find people who share your intrests and whatnot, or at the very least accept them, and you'll be better off.
 Leper Messiah
11-24-2004, 9:29 AM
Originally posted by Kain
Heres how I look at it:

If I'm nerding it up, talking Star Wars or D&D or whatever, and some total stranger bitch/prick/tranny looks at me funny or whispers to their friend and they giggle while looking at me, I introduce them to my little friend - Mr Middle Finger. Who in the blue hell are they to decide whats cool and whats nerdy?

Who gives a flying rat's arse what other people think - especially people you don't know and they have their heads up their asses. If your friend gets really upset that you talk about SW, they're not your friend. If a girl doesn't accept you for who you are, you don't need her. And most importantly of all: Do what makes ya happy. You'll find people who share your intrests and whatnot, or at the very least accept them, and you'll be better off.

i woulda put good money on that bein ur opinion :D

what bugs me about these people is that they think that their life is automatically better, ah well, ignorance is as ignorance does
 lukeiamyourdad
11-24-2004, 2:21 PM
Eh well, most of the people I know like Star Wars. Most of the kids in my old high school liked Star Wars(sometimes, they would hum a merry ol' Imperial March :D)

The people at my college don't give a rat's ass about what other people do. I can talk about whatever I want with whoever I want. People just don't care.

Except those goddamn b!tches...
We were talking about Le Misanthrope by Moliиre the other day and one girl was obsessed with Philinte marrying Eliante at the end...seriously, that's unimportant in the story...We can assume she likes to watch the Bachelor...and the way she looks and dresses...well...you know...upper-middle class b!tches...or a wannabee...
 Ray Jones
11-25-2004, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by lukeiamyourdad
the Bachelor...

we are already through with it, and now there's "the bachelorette".

oouuhhh man. it's about time they continue stargate.
 lukeiamyourdad
11-25-2004, 4:24 PM
I'm sure she watches all those other reality shows destroying what is suppose to be beautiful. Sex and relationships...
Page: 1 of 1