Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

New test .lvl extraction tool available

Page: 1 of 1
 luck3y
11-02-2004, 7:05 AM
Update 11/0 version 0.0.7

First mesh extraction attempt. Some work, some don't, try it and see!

You need meshviewer from the directx sdk or some other 3d app that can open / import direct x .x files.

http://www.zaptillion.net/swbf/extract.zip)

Update 11/03 version 0.0.6
Some texture extraction bugfixes

Hi All,

I've been working on an extraction tool for .lvl files. It currently only supports full extraction of dds textures and the extraction of compliled lua from the archive, but it does recognise a lot of the other structures in the lvl files, and I'm working hard writing functions to save / convert this data too!

You can try it out here: http://www.zaptillion.net/swbf/extract.zip)

Basically, you extract the zip, and you'll see a file called extract.exe. Its a command line untility, so you go to a cmd prompt and run it on a swbf .lvl file like this

extract geo1.lvl

It'll print what its extracting and run, when done, you'll have a directory full of files (textures and .lub files at the moment).

I'm still finishing some of the texture formats (some of them aren't exactly right at the moment, but most of them work!) Source is included.

And read about it here:
http://www.gametoast.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=60&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0)

Special thanks to Riley75 for his reseach expertise!

Let me know of any bugs / things you'd like to see in a tool like this.
 TK-8252
11-02-2004, 8:46 AM
Arg.

I'm a bit lost here...

So I ran it, I got it to extract the contents of imp.lvl. It has a huge list of stuff extracted with <done> next do it. But now what? Where do the files get extracted...?
 luck3y
11-02-2004, 8:52 AM
They should be in the same directory where you ran extract.

I usually make a directory (say c:\swbf) , copy the .lvl file and extract.exe in there, then

cd \swbf
extract geo1.lvl

all the extracted files will be in c:\swbf\
 TK-8252
11-02-2004, 8:56 AM
Oop, silly me. I found 'em. I am so blind. :xp:

But uh... now... what's the deal with .dds files? :D

Sorry, I never caught on. I feel like such a n00b...
 luck3y
11-02-2004, 9:04 AM
They're directx textures, you need a tool too edit view them, I use irfanview to view them, photoshop and paint shop pro and others all hve plugins to edit them.

I'm not a skilled skinner, so after that I don't know what to tell you :(
 TK-8252
11-02-2004, 9:10 AM
If I can get it into a texture editer, I can do some skinning (I was a skinner for Jedi Outcast/Academy).

But uh... this irfanview... is it free for download (legally, that is)?

I have PhotoDeluxe, which I used for Jedi Outcast/Academy skinning, but I don't think it can open .dds files.
 luck3y
11-02-2004, 9:22 AM
irfan view is free, but its only a viewer :(

I don't know about other free editor tools, time for you to do some reseaching and make a topic on it! :D
 TK-8252
11-02-2004, 9:47 AM
Some questions now, perhaps for future versions:

I really want to put some better sounds in. Would it be possible for an extracter to extract the sound files, so they could be replaced?

And, I also want to change the units' weapons, skins, classes, health, speed, etc., so is it possible to extract the files that contain these settings?

(I know this is just an early version, but I'm just curious what's possible.)

This tool will really help the modding community. :)
 luck3y
11-02-2004, 9:51 AM
Originally posted by TK-8252
I really want to put some better sounds in. Would it be possible for an extracter to extract the sound files, so they could be replaced?

Yes.

And, I also want to change the units' weapons, skins, classes, health, speed, etc., so is it possible to extract the files that contain these settings?

Yes!

I'm planning on complete extraction of all of the lvl files. If nobody else steps up, I'll be doing repacking too :/
 TK-8252
11-02-2004, 9:53 AM
Ahh, nice. :D

*Eagerly waits, rubbing hands together*
 LightNinja
11-02-2004, 10:28 AM
nice to see that the moding will be like bf1942', i hope some pro mod teams come to bf to make some cool mod xP
 Barcrest
11-02-2004, 12:32 PM
http://www.irfanview.com/)

It is a viewer but you can convert the files to whatever format you wish and edit them in your nomal editor and then convert them back. It's not rocket science LOL
 TK-8252
11-02-2004, 2:11 PM
I found the textures for the Imperial Officer. Interesting... :)

Questions: what are .lub files, and can they currently be opened and how?
 luck3y
11-02-2004, 2:16 PM
I found the textures for the Imperial Officer. Interesting... :)

Questions: what are .lub files, and can they currently be opened and how?

You can't do much with those right now. I'm working on another tool to decompile the lua code :/

http://www.lua.org/) for more info on the lua language.
 TK-8252
11-02-2004, 4:41 PM
Please, whatever you do, don't make us have to use a blasted hex editer!

I sooo hate hex...
 luck3y
11-03-2004, 12:18 AM
Updated this with some image extraction bugfixes,

http://www.zaptillion.net/swbf/extract.zip)
 Barcrest
11-03-2004, 12:51 AM
TK8252 fancy posting up thoose imperial officer skins for us to take a look at ;)
 DarkDan721
11-03-2004, 11:12 AM
Once models can be extracted is there a program to just view models with your custom skins on them. A free model viewer?
 TK-8252
11-03-2004, 2:18 PM
Originally posted by Barcrest
TK8252 fancy posting up thoose imperial officer skins for us to take a look at ;)

http://www.forumforfree.com/forums/uploads/swr/post-7-1099526256.jpg)

Also, I made some changes, for an Imperial Noncommissioned Officer:

http://www.forumforfree.com/forums/uploads/swr/post-2-1102569657.jpg)
 kingguru
11-03-2004, 3:10 PM
Nice skin bud! the non commisioned are excellent. Good to see some works coming out that could be used in a real mod. :jawa
 Barcrest
11-04-2004, 4:12 AM
Nice images dude... there is some realy cool sfuff about now, if we get some decent tools we are away.
 LightNinja
11-05-2004, 6:05 AM
Originally posted by luck3y
Basically, you extract the zip, and you'll see a file called extract.exe. Its a command line untility, so you go to a cmd prompt and run it on a swbf .lvl file like this
Let me know of any bugs / things you'd like to see in a tool like this.
i dont know what is a comand prompt or how to open it, could you make this like a winzip extractor? (in next versions) so that it could be easier.
If you have BF1942 i mean a tool like .rfa extractor WinRfa
 luck3y
11-05-2004, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by LightNinja
i dont know what is a comand prompt or how to open it, could you make this like a winzip extractor? (in next versions) so that it could be easier.
If you have BF1942 i mean a tool like .rfa extractor WinRfa

Yeah, maybe at some point, but for now we're all working on figuring out how the rest of the game data is stored.
 LightNinja
11-05-2004, 2:44 PM
Originally posted by luck3y
Yeah, maybe at some point, but for now we're all working on figuring out how the rest of the game data is stored.
yep i know, you're doing a great job, it was just a idea
 luck3y
11-12-2004, 9:32 AM
extract updated! see the top message for details!
 Whoopknacker
11-12-2004, 12:35 PM
Good luck with the skins. I ended up getting rid of the cockpit skins for the ATAT, ATST and the snowspeeder. I can see so much more and its easier to target. The only glitch has been that if you eject in the first person view, you dont have any hands or a weapon. :eek:
Page: 1 of 1