Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Questions about Hardcore Mod & Holowan Plug-in

Page: 1 of 1
 Grifman
10-28-2004, 3:24 PM
I've got a couple of questions about the hardcore mod and the Holowan plug-in:

1) I've read the readme file on the Hardcore mod and it gives the details of the bonuses it gives at each level but I dont know how to interpret these. Can anyone express these in relative terms - such as they give a 25% or 50% bonus to hitpoints, strength, etc.? That would give me an idea of the relative increase in difficulty.

2) Can you play the Hardcore mod without the Plug-in. I know that yes, you can download it and play it, but can you do it successfully? My point is that the Hardcore mods gives what appear to be some massive bonuses to enemies, and I wonder how well you can stand against them in a game without the Plug-in?

3) And lastly, with all the extra goodies the Plug-in gives, how balanced is the mod. Are the extra goodies overpowered even with the Hardcore mod, or are do the extra goodies, along with the extra feats and powers of the Hardcore mod balance the strengthened enemies.

I'm just curious how this all plays out in reality. If anyone who has tried these can give a little perspective, I'd find it helpful. Thanks.

Grifman
 ChAiNz.2da
10-28-2004, 4:20 PM
I don't have the holowan plug-in, but I have most of the individual mods it includes. The Hardcore mod IMHO is the only way to play Kotor (loosely quoted from RedHawke ;) )

Some parts of the game are going to be easier, but they DO get harder once the baddies get some stats too! Taris I thought was a breeze (as usual) but it gets tougher towards the end of Dantooine. From there...watch yer ...ahem... arse...

If you want a real challenge, RedHawkes jawa shop mod + the hardcore mod = devastation, if you walk in there overconfident. I got handed mine several times...even poor Zaalbar didn't stand a chance...
 RedHawke
10-28-2004, 6:51 PM
Originally posted by ChAiNz
I don't have the holowan plug-in, but I have most of the individual mods it includes. The Hardcore mod IMHO is the only way to play Kotor (loosely quoted from RedHawke ;) )
Word! :D
Originally posted by ChAiNz
Some parts of the game are going to be easier, but they DO get harder once the baddies get some stats too! Taris I thought was a breeze (as usual) but it gets tougher towards the end of Dantooine. From there...watch yer ...ahem... arse...

If you want a real challenge, RedHawkes jawa shop mod + the hardcore mod = devastation, if you walk in there overconfident. I got handed mine several times...even poor Zaalbar didn't stand a chance...
*Sheepishly* Did I do that? :D

Anyway Grifman the Hardcore mod makes the game harder in stages the first increase is at 8th level, then it increases again at 12th level, then again a third time at 16th level, it makes all the enemies tougher, you can't really equate the increases in percentages, most of my early item packs, for example, are made to work with the Hardcore mod.

In the Holowan Plugin all T7nowhere did was the massive effort of making peoples mods compatable and all in one downloadable package, he did not edit any of the mods or change what the mods original creators made. So no balancing of any kind was done by T7.

I hope this helps! :D
 T7nowhere
10-28-2004, 8:47 PM
Well the Harcore mod Does Just that, It makes the game hard. I do use it with my 2da edits that are in the plug-in And even though you do get many more feats, powers and skills. I have fequently Been killed in the early game. I can't tell you how many times my level 14 Guardian died on Ord mandel ;) .

But to make it clear as Redhawke said. I didn't not alter the contents of mods accept to make tham compatible. If you find that some items are over powered you have the choice to either not use them or you can find the uti's and alter the stats for your own use.
 Dr. Jekyll
10-28-2004, 10:05 PM
I realize I'm a stupid moron, but where exactly can I download the Holowan Plug-in?
 T7nowhere
10-28-2004, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Jekyll
I realize I'm a stupid moron, but where exactly can I download the Holowan Plug-in?

You can down load it from PCGM but you should also DL the patch from My site (http://members.shaw.ca/t7nowhere/KotOR.htm)
 Grifman
10-29-2004, 2:58 AM
Originally posted by RedHawke

Anyway Grifman the Hardcore mod makes the game harder in stages the first increase is at 8th level, then it increases again at 12th level, then again a third time at 16th level, it makes all the enemies tougher, you can't really equate the increases in percentages, most of my early item packs, for example, are made to work with the Hardcore mod.

First off, thanks for responding, I appreciate the effort - and also your mods I might add :) That said, I do understand how the hardcore mod works and what it does. I was just wondering about the base stats of the enemies and the impact of the mod - in other words, if it adds 200 HP at the 16th level, then is that on a base of 200 HP (ie, a 100% increase) or a base of 300 HP (a 50% increase)? Something like that - that would help me understand the extent of the impact.

Also, remembering that you start over as a Jedi at some point, do the difficulty levels take that into consideration? Does it look at whatever level you are at - either an 8 level soldier early in the game, or a 12th level Jedi later in the game, or a combined 20 (8/12 soldier/guardian)?

I hope this helps!

It does, thanks.

Grifman
 Darkkender
10-29-2004, 5:33 AM
to answer some basic questions about kotor here. it is based off of the d20 roleplaying game which bases it off of a difficulty rating of your effective character level which is the sum of all your character levels together. incase you have a mod that allows you 3 character classes. for further details of this nature I would suggest taking a look across the web at d20 roleplaying sources such as the d20 star wars rpg.
Page: 1 of 1