Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Genetically modified cats for sale

Page: 2 of 2
 Lieutenant_kettch
11-03-2004, 8:21 AM
^^^ i concur

BTW, it seems to me that if something can do any one or more of these things :breathe, move of own will, or reproduce, it should be considered alive... thus, virii are alive by these standards, and most people condiser them alive...
 Nairb Notneb
11-04-2004, 8:50 AM
I got this from this web site: (I have shortened it a bit for space)

http://www.physicalgeography.net/fundamentals/9a.html)

There are four main types of life.

Bacteria, Eukaryota (protozoa, fungi, animals, plants), Viruses and Archaea (similar to bacteria but can live in extremely hostile environments such as volcanic vents and are single celled).

The four main types of biological entities described above share some unique characteristics that can allow us to distinguish them from non-living things. These characteristics are:

(1). Organisms tend to be complex.

(2). Living things have the ability to take energy from their environment and change it from one form to another or the ability to metabolize.

(3). Organisms tend to be homeostatic. In other words, they regulate their bodies and other internal structures to certain normal parameters.

(4). Living creatures respond to stimuli.

(5). Living things reproduce themselves.

(6). Organisms tend to grow and develop.

(7). Life adapts and evolves in step with external changes in the environment through mutation and natural selection.
 Spider AL
11-04-2004, 10:32 AM
We have Man itself...Sadly, the number of human predators is also decreasing.

That's a Malthusian view of population. It is not entirely unmerited, but it is of very limited usefulness.It may not be useful to you or your world-view, but that's not the issue. The issue is whether our population growth is sustainable, and whether it will have a detrimental effect on our entire ecosystem.
Therefore, the tools to limit population growth may prove very useful indeed. The desire to obtain and use those tools... indispensable.
 Nairb Notneb
11-05-2004, 3:36 AM
One reason that disease is more rampant now is because we have found a way to subvert natural selection with technology and science. In nature, when a creature gets sick, it becomes weak and succumbs to a predator or to its disease. In modern human society, when one becomes sick, we nurture him/her and sustain the individual enabling those genes to be passed on to another generation. This may sound cruel to call somebody that has a chronic, or a genetic disease/handicap/disability as being on physically less level but in some respects it is true and does go against natural selection. These natural tendencies to "thin out the herd" as is done by natural predators have been eliminated by the humans adaptabilities of their intelligence, thus proving the same theory right, the survival of the fittest. Even though we are physically weaker, we are mentally superior and can over come our weaknesses with our strengths.

My point, the more diseases that we defeat, the more that we will have to live with because our genes are continuing to pass them to our children.
 El Sitherino
11-05-2004, 9:48 PM
Originally posted by Spider AL
Sadly, the number of human predators is also decreasing.
Perhaps it's time we emplace a battle royale style acts.
:axe1: :hatchrun:

perhaps even televise it. It'd totally work in america, lol.
 Nairb Notneb
11-06-2004, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
Perhaps it's time we emplace a battle royale style acts.
:axe1: :hatchrun:

perhaps even televise it. It'd totally work in america, lol.
It would most certainly work in America.
 kipperthefrog
11-21-2004, 8:17 AM
here is our fate:

Someday we will make people smarter, stronger and better. the rich wont let us regular people have it. What then? wouln't we be slaves?
 Spider AL
11-21-2004, 1:51 PM
Aren't we slaves already? My country for instance: People work the longest hours in europe, for some of the lowest pay in a comparably developed society, and with little prospect of training and advancement since our workforce is being deskilled at a phenomenal rate.

Doesn't that make us slaves NOW?
 lukeiamyourdad
11-21-2004, 5:32 PM
Oops triple post :D
 Nairb Notneb
12-03-2004, 4:35 AM
Many advantages can be overcome in free society; social status, economic status, political status, etc. with enough time and effort. Maybe I'm a diluted idealist, but I truly believe that. If there ever becomes a group of "superhuman" species of homosapiens - "homo superious" - then those that remain will become a substandard species and will eventually be "bread" out of existence. Homosapiens as we know them would become extinct due to Natural Selection aided by modern science.

"Normal" (if there is such a thing) humans would be discriminated against, and treated as "sub" human, even though they are pure human.

Are we treated this way now? of course! There is massive discrimination now due to basic genetic differences. If that gap were to widen by truly important and truly measurable categories then the effects would be devastating. If there were a true and measurable difference in life span, health, obesity, resistance to disease, strength and intelligence that were all superior to those of a standard homosapien, then those that were measurably inferior would truly be inferior and discriminated against and cast away. those that were committing this crime would feel self justified because human nature is to be proud and selfish of ones accomplishments.

I'm sure this will happen one day, it is only a matter of when.
 kipperthefrog
12-03-2004, 6:04 PM
I remember tyron posting in an earleir thread:
it will just make a bigger span between the rich and the poor

I said it will bring them closer together by making everyone pretty and stuff.

tyron do you think the will let us regular peope have it?

come to think of it, the rich do tend to loose their money sometimes and they breed of into lower classes. once superhuman atributes are in the gene pool, it will spread to all people.

all benificial genes spread and multiply.
 Nairb Notneb
12-06-2004, 8:07 AM
I imagine that it would eventually spread into the entire gene pool, or the "lower" cast of human species (the original species) would simply become extinct just like the others before them: cromag, erectus, etc.
Page: 2 of 2