Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Subs0nic's Naboo Mod (download)

Page: 1 of 1
 subs0nic
10-15-2004, 3:18 PM
-= Welcome to subs0nic's Naboo Mod =-

This modifies the Naboo Plains map, Galactic Civil War era. It's my take on how Empire vs Rebels on Naboo plains *should* have been. :)

Features include:

- 2x ATSTs for BOTH sides
- 2x Combat Speeders for Rebels
- 2x Imperial Fighter Tanks for Empire
- 1x X-Wing for Rebels
- 1x Tie Bomber for Empire
- Map edge restrictions removed
- An extra surprise for both sides ;)

Installation: Download, unzip, and run the 3 patchers. Follow the instructions and you should be fine.

Uninstall: Copy your backed up original files back into the correct places, overwriting the modded ones.

Download here! (http://www.gametoast.com/files/minimods/Subs0nicsNabooModv1.00.zip)

Sorry for lack of detailed info here, I'm tired. Let me know what you think! :)

Screenshots:
Armoured warfare (http://img46.exs.cx/img46/2681/Naboo1.jpg)
Trading laser fire with a Bomber (http://img98.exs.cx/img98/9528/Naboo2.jpg)

EDIT: Due to some people having problems with the patching, I have released the full modded files. You should ONLY need these if the patch version really won't work. Backup the following files:

C:\..\Star Wars Battlefront\GameData\Data\_LVL_PC\mission.lvl

C:\..\Star Wars Battlefront\GameData\Data\_LVL_PC\NAB\nab1.lvl

C:\..\Star Wars Battlefront\GameData\Data\_LVL_PC\SIDE\gun.lvl

Replace them with the files in the following zip:

Download full release (http://www.gametoast.com/files/minimods/Naboomodfull.zip) - 9.7Mb
 subs0nic
10-15-2004, 3:23 PM
Mod will be updated with area restriction removed as soon as kingguru gets back to me with the hack put on it (I seem to be having a total brainfart on this one). :rolleyes:
 Linkage
10-15-2004, 3:34 PM
Where do I install these mods to?

Having problems now!

Ben
 Linkage
10-15-2004, 3:38 PM
DUH!

Got it

Ben
 Linkage
10-15-2004, 3:41 PM
I can not get two of them going though.

Ben
 TK-8252
10-15-2004, 3:42 PM
I really want Naboo Royal Guards on Theed. :(
 subs0nic
10-15-2004, 3:46 PM
Originally posted by Linkage
I can not get two of them going though.

Ben

What's the problem?
 subs0nic
10-15-2004, 3:47 PM
Originally posted by TK-8252
I really want Naboo Royal Guards on Theed. :(

Patience is a virtue. ;)
 kingguru
10-15-2004, 6:02 PM
The Naboo mod zip file has been updated to include the removal of the no fly cap. Excellent work Sub :)
 Visceral
10-15-2004, 6:24 PM
Well you made a mistake somewhere, because half a second after I spawned the game crashed to the desktop. :(
 kingguru
10-15-2004, 6:39 PM
im sure he will update it and keep us posted :):)
 Visceral
10-15-2004, 8:54 PM
Originally posted by kingguru
That is odd i re-downloaded it and set it up and it loads fine. although the things advertised arent showing, xwing etc... the ships are all the same but the factions are now rebel and cis(which was the only change i noticed from the mod). Im using the most recent patch with the no fly cap removed but the older patch from sub had the same no ship changes... im sure he will update it and keep us posted :):) In mine, I did see the X-Wing, but the game crashed before I could get to it.
 subs0nic
10-16-2004, 2:17 AM
Originally posted by kingguru
That is odd i re-downloaded it and set it up and it loads fine. although the things advertised arent showing, xwing etc... the ships are all the same but the factions are now rebel and cis(which was the only change i noticed from the mod). Im using the most recent patch with the no fly cap removed but the older patch from sub had the same no ship changes... im sure he will update it and keep us posted :):)

Strange. Did you apply all 3 patches? I can't see why it would be loading Republic and CIS, unless you're playing it in the clone wars era.

I just tested the patches again with a completely clean install, no problems. Anyone having problems should make sure they are installing on ORIGINAL mission.lvl, nab1.lvl and gun.lvl files, and install all 3 patches.

Thanks for the fly cap hack kingguru. :)
 gamlin
10-16-2004, 2:49 AM
(1st post):D just tried the mod..seems fine just the rebs don't take advantage of the atsts so imps have advantag..but no probs in modifying files and playablity..thanks sub and king for your fast work:p
 subs0nic
10-16-2004, 3:22 AM
Originally posted by gamlin
(1st post):D just tried the mod..seems fine just the rebs don't take advantage of the atsts so imps have advantag..but no probs in modifying files and playablity..thanks sub and king for your fast work:p

I certainly noticed that they don't seem to use 1 of the ATSTs though they seem to have no trouble using the other. I've found this to be the case with any vehicle placed in that spot, including the original Kaadu that was there, so I guess it's a bug with the AI.
 Visceral
10-16-2004, 3:23 AM
I'm going to try installing the mod again in a minute, but I have a question. How do you put flying vehicles in a map that doesn't normally have them? Obviously just replacing a hover or walk spawn with a fly spawn doesn't work, so what's the trick?

EDIT: I reinstalled it and it still crashes.
 subs0nic
10-16-2004, 3:26 AM
Originally posted by Visceral
I'm going to try installing the mod again in a minute, but I have a question. How do you put flying vehicles in a map that doesn't normally have them? Obviously just replacing a hover or walk spawn with a fly spawn doesn't work, so what's the trick?

I believe I was able to do this by exploiting the fact that there is usually a star destroyer flying over the plains. Whether or not the star destroyer originally counts as a 'flyer' thus enabling other flyers to be put in, I'm not sure.. but it works. :) After that, you just need to insert an all_fly_xwing over a gun_walk_kaadu for example.
 Visceral
10-16-2004, 3:34 AM
Ah, I see. Still no way yet to put flying vehicles in where there's none at all, including _dome ones, I guess.

Well, I think I know enough to recreate the mod myself, since the one provided for downloading just won't work for me. I'll attempt it, at least.
 subs0nic
10-16-2004, 4:00 AM
What country did you get the game in Visceral? May be more problems with different releases. If other people could let me know if it works for them, I may be able to provide fixed patches for different releases.
 Visceral
10-16-2004, 4:41 AM
That's not it. It was actually a 'contaminated' backup file. I was sure when I backed up nab1.lvl that it was the original version but I must have made some kind of unsuccessful tweak in it and forgot about it, because when I tried to load Naboo Plains without this mod installed, it still crashed. So I reinstalled the game to get a fresh copy and now it works just fine. :) The Imperial tanks help balance the map, I think the Rebels' speeders really outclass the AT-STs. This was a great idea as the terrain is great for vehicle combat.
 subs0nic
10-16-2004, 4:50 AM
Originally posted by Visceral
That's not it. It was actually a 'contaminated' backup file. I was sure when I backed up nab1.lvl that it was the original version but I must have made some kind of unsuccessful tweak in it and forgot about it, because when I tried to load Naboo Plains without this mod installed, it still crashed. So I reinstalled the game to get a fresh copy and now it works just fine. :) The Imperial tanks help balance the map, I think the Rebels' speeders really outclass the AT-STs. This was a great idea as the terrain is great for vehicle combat.

Happens to me all the time (I keep a clean copy installed on my girlfriend's machine so I can always get clean files :D ). Glad you got it working though. I agree, the reason I made the map was to balance out the vehicles, the ATSTs are totally outgunned and outmanuvered by the Combat Speeders (and the Fighter Tanks for that matter).

I released a copy of the full, modded files if anyone else has trouble, but I really don't think it should be necessary (plus it's a much bigger download).

No-one commented on my 'gungan commando' yet... ;)
 sb_gat
10-16-2004, 5:43 AM
I won't be commenting the gungan much (yes, he's fun to play/to die), but I had serious balance issues on Hard diff. level!
It is nearly impossible to win for the Empire... while for the Rebels I could lose only by crashing own vehicles and killing teammates.
Overall, great job. Just get rid of the fly caps - and you have the nearly perfect map for Naboo, like it should have been :)

The ATSTs are outrun, but not outgunned (Fresh AT-ST with pilot only vs. fresh Rebel hover 2 pilots - AT-ST win).

But boy the bomber rules the map... :)
 subs0nic
10-16-2004, 5:57 AM
Originally posted by sb_gat
I won't be commenting the gungan much (yes, he's fun to play/to die), but I had serious balance issues on Hard diff. level!
It is nearly impossible to win for the Empire... while for the Rebels I could lose only by crashing own vehicles and killing teammates.
Overall, great job. Just get rid of the fly caps - and you have the nearly perfect map for Naboo, like it should have been :)

The ATSTs are outrun, but not outgunned (Fresh AT-ST with pilot only vs. fresh Rebel hover 2 pilots - AT-ST win).

But boy the bomber rules the map... :)

You're absolutely right, rebels do tend to win more easily than empire, I'll be tweaking the mod to try and fix this. Fly caps should be gone now.

The Gungan class was fairly well balanced I thought, powerful weaponry but easily killed. Needs some skill and tactics to be effective.
 Lost_Prophet999
10-16-2004, 7:00 AM
i cant seem to find the file that you are supposed to save the patches too.
i dont have a star wars battlefront folder anywhere
can u help me.:(
 subs0nic
10-16-2004, 7:16 AM
Originally posted by Lost_Prophet999

Default install location is c:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Battlefront\

This is where it will be unless you changed it during install.
 StormTrooper789
10-16-2004, 7:37 AM
Originally posted by subs0nic
-= Welcome to subs0nic's Naboo Mod =-

This modifies the Naboo Plains map, Galactic Civil War era. It's my take on how Empire vs Rebels on Naboo plains *should* have been. :)

Features include:

- 2x ATSTs for BOTH sides
- 2x Combat Speeders for Rebels
- 2x Imperial Fighter Tanks for Empire
- 1x X-Wing for Rebels
- 1x Tie Bomber for Empire
- Map edge restrictions removed
- An extra surprise for both sides ;)

Installation: Download, unzip, and run the 3 patchers. Follow the instructions and you should be fine.

Uninstall: Copy your backed up original files back into the correct places, overwriting the modded ones.

Download here! (http://www.gametoast.com/files/minimods/Subs0nicsNabooModv1.00.zip)

Sorry for lack of detailed info here, I'm tired. Let me know what you think! :)

Screenshots:
Armoured warfare (http://img46.exs.cx/img46/2681/Naboo1.jpg)
Trading laser fire with a Bomber (http://img98.exs.cx/img98/9528/Naboo2.jpg)

EDIT: Due to some people having problems with the patching, I have released the full modded files. You should ONLY need these if the patch version really won't work. Backup the following files:

C:\..\Star Wars Battlefront\GameData\Data\_LVL_PC\mission.lvl

C:\..\Star Wars Battlefront\GameData\Data\_LVL_PC\NAB\nab1.lvl

C:\..\Star Wars Battlefront\GameData\Data\_LVL_PC\SIDE\gun.lvl

Replace them with the files in the following zip:

Download full release (http://www.gametoast.com/files/minimods/Naboomodfull.zip) - 9.7Mb

How did you do that? Can you point me to some Modding tips? You're making me want to mod SW:BF! :)
 DarkDan721
10-16-2004, 7:50 AM
can we get some pics/info of the gungan with weapons and stuff?
 subs0nic
10-16-2004, 8:07 AM
Originally posted by DarkDan721
can we get some pics/info of the gungan with weapons and stuff?

As you wish:

Gungan commandos reporting forsa duties! (http://img6.exs.cx/img6/4821/Gungan.jpg)
 DarkDan721
10-16-2004, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by subs0nic
As you wish:

Gungan commandos reporting forsa duties! (http://img6.exs.cx/img6/4821/Gungan.jpg)

Sub=God
BTW Did you read my PM?
 Gerardo
10-16-2004, 3:15 PM
Haven't loaded the mod yet, but I heard complaints of a balance issue and of how hard it is to win as the Empire. Perhaps you could give the Empire an AT-AT to balance this out.
 Gerardo
10-16-2004, 3:25 PM

when installng the mod to the location described, an error box came up and said that it cannot update the files because there are no files to update. Why is this? Ican see the files just fine when I look at them in my directory. Any help? Thanks
 Gerardo
10-16-2004, 3:46 PM
Whoops! Nevermind that question. I figured out what i was doing wrong. Just want to say great mod man! This game is like 10% more fun because of it. Naboo is now one of my favorite maps. Thanks!
 subs0nic
10-16-2004, 4:47 PM
Thanks for the kind words. :)
I'm looking at exactly why Naboo Plains seems tipped in the Alliance's favour, it's not entirely to do with the changes I've made.. the key to winning the map is to take and hold the centre control point, and the Rebels have the closest control point to it, so they almost always get to it first, and with more troops. Also, the AI in this game is dumb enough that if you leave it to it's own devices, it almost never attacks a single control point with enough troops to take control of it - so once the Rebels have the centre point, it's all over. I'm looking at ways to even this up if possible - though I think an ATAT may tip things a little too far in the Empire's favour. ;)
 Lost_Prophet999
10-17-2004, 3:46 AM
WHATS THE FILE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO SAVE THE MAP PATCH INTO
IS IT

c:\ProgramFiles\LucasArts\StarWars\Battlefront\Gam eData\Data\_LVL_PC\NAB ?
 subs0nic
10-17-2004, 3:56 AM
WHATS THE FILE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO SAVE THE MAP PATCH INTO
IS IT

c:\ProgramFiles\LucasArts\StarWars\Battlefront\Gam eData\Data\_LVL_PC\NAB ?

Yes.
 Servant
10-17-2004, 7:39 AM
he,he....this is great. I installed Subsonic's Nabu and with Hex Edit change things a bit. You can search for ATST's, XWINGS, TIEBOMBER and exhanges each other.

Great work Subsonic. This is what people who do not know to hack to be able to change level just using Hex Exitor on level file. Can you open like this other levels too?
 Servant
10-17-2004, 8:46 AM
hmmm.... due to mission.lvl (I guess) you can not have more then two flying objects at the same time. I changed two reb atst with two xwings (00f2bbf04, 00f2dac0), but as I said no more then two at the same time. Hey, at least imperial forces now have chance without two atst's on reb side.

SubSonic, can you show us how to change mission.lvl to adjust above?
 subs0nic
10-17-2004, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Servant
Great work Subsonic. This is what people who do not know to hack to be able to change level just using Hex Exitor on level file. Can you open like this other levels too?

Yes, absolutely! Open up any of the .lvl files and see what you can find. :D

Originally posted by Servant
hmmm.... due to mission.lvl (I guess) you can not have more then two flying objects at the same time. I changed two reb atst with two xwings (00f2bbf04, 00f2dac0), but as I said no more then two at the same time. Hey, at least imperial forces now have chance without two atst's on reb side.

SubSonic, can you show us how to change mission.lvl to adjust above?

I ran into this when I did the mod originally, as yet I haven't found a fix for it.

Another bug which I believe was already in the game is that Tie Bomber torpedoes almost never hit X-Wings - it appears that they target the hitbox incorrectly and are actually aiming slightly above. I also noticed this on Bespin platforms, so I don't think it's a problem with my mod.
Page: 1 of 1