Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Favorite Ugly (aka "kitbash")

Page: 1 of 1
 Lieutenant_kettch
10-13-2004, 7:17 AM
have seen many mentions of uglies around, and decided to see what people liked, or whatever people do with uglies(for those who don't know, an ugly is a ship derived from parts of other ships, usually by those who can't get ahold of whole, working ships)
i know i didn't list many choics, but listed ones i thought worthy(i guess) if you want to put you own, simply write that in your post(sorry, but i forgot an "other" option)

moderators: can you throw one in?
 Shok_Tinoktin
10-13-2004, 10:15 AM
did u intend to spell it ugle?
 Lieutenant_kettch
10-13-2004, 10:16 AM
no:rolleyes: but i couldn't go back and change it once i realized it
 Jan Gaarni
10-14-2004, 11:40 AM
I have no favorite, I don't like any of them.

There's a reason why they are called TIE Uglies after all. :D
 Lieutenant_kettch
10-14-2004, 11:43 AM
now that wasn't very nice, they aren't any good IMO but they are pretty neat
 Jan Gaarni
10-14-2004, 12:32 PM
Whaat? What I do?!
That is why they are dubbed "Uglies". :D
 Lieutenant_kettch
10-14-2004, 12:35 PM
you do have a point, they look ugly and they have ugly performance, i would almost rather have an escape pod than an ugly, because most people won't shoot down an escape pod!
 Jan Gaarni
10-14-2004, 12:38 PM
Except for the Empire appearantly.

Imagine how things would have gone if there were humans or another kind of species called R2-D2 and C-3PO. :p
 Lieutenant_kettch
10-14-2004, 12:41 PM
it would have been the end of the rebellion, luke, han, chewie, and obi-wan never would have helped out, vader would still be alive the empire would rule all
so it was that one commander who didn't order the gunner to blow the pod(why he didn't, i don't know) that was the end of the empire
 Jan Gaarni
10-14-2004, 12:46 PM
I guess he didn't see the challange and/or satisfaction of blowing up an empty escape pod. :)
 Lieutenant_kettch
10-14-2004, 12:56 PM
but, if i were commanding a gunnery crew, i would sacrifice the energy of one turbolaser shot to leave no chance of somebody putting a message in the pod, etc
 Jan Gaarni
10-14-2004, 1:30 PM
Like I said in the other thread, the Empire is arrogant.

Just look at Tarkin, he just exudes deadly arrogance. :D

Look at Admiral Ozzel.
Captain Needa.
Commodore Motti.
Captain Lennox.
Even Piett to some degree.

Not to mention the Emperor. :D
 Shok_Tinoktin
10-14-2004, 1:31 PM
plus its good targeting practice!

if you can hit an unmanned escape pod, you can hit anything
 Lieutenant_kettch
10-14-2004, 1:33 PM
Originally posted by Shok_Tinoktin
plus its good targeting practice!

if you can hit an unmanned escape pod, you can hit anything

its true, how do you think they got the original death star SL aligned correctly?

ooh, they should have duct taped interceptors all around the death star... have them all fire at once, this orb of laserfire
 Shok_Tinoktin
10-14-2004, 9:01 PM
ok RC, we get it. you like Interceptors, let it go. They didn't have Interceptors at the time, btw.

Originally posted by Lieutenant_kettch
so it was that one commander who didn't order the gunner to blow the pod(why he didn't, i don't know) that was the end of the empire

its not that he didn't order the gunner to blow the pod, its that he ordered the gunner to NOT blow the pod!
 Lieutenant_kettch
10-15-2004, 8:41 AM
ok RC, we get it. you like Interceptors, let it go. They didn't have Interceptors at the time, btw.

its not that he didn't order the gunner to blow the pod, its that he ordered the gunner to NOT blow the pod!

true, and there is a differende, if he hadn't ordered anything, it would be the gunners fault, etc. And the interceptor comment was for DS2, although, IMO, The TF could have been a lot better, for example, they could have strapped on Y-Wing engine nacelles...
Seriously though, i think the x-wing with solar arrays would be a good design, i mean, the solar arrays could power the lasers, which would give the x-wing more power to put into the engines... hmm, why didn't it work out that way?
 StarWarsPhreak
10-15-2004, 8:47 AM
My favorite ugly is the TIE/X-wing variant. The TIE cockpit and the S-foils of the X-Wing. Mainly because it reminds me of a starfighter design I drew a long time ago. Except in mine, the pilots arn't limited to a forward viewscreen only.
 Shok_Tinoktin
10-15-2004, 8:49 AM
maybe the fact that the fact that the guns are on a TIE-Fighter fuselage and on an X-Wing they are on the wings? I don't remember where they are on that though.
 Lieutenant_kettch
10-15-2004, 8:52 AM
maybe the fact that the fact that the guns are on a TIE-Fighter fuselage and on an X-Wing they are on the wings? I don't remember where they are on that though.

did it even have lasers? or only warheads. in which case, THAT was the problem
 StarWarsPhreak
10-15-2004, 10:33 AM

At what? The limited forward viewport? On a TIE fighter, the solar panels block left and right sides, only allowing forward view. In the TIE interceptor, the solar panels have the gap in the middle, but there is still only a forward viewport. I think all the TIEs only have a forward viewport. No side views. Maybe the Empire addressed the issue with the TIE Defender.
 Lieutenant_kettch
10-15-2004, 10:50 AM
i am pretty sure they all have one viewport, but the spherical shape of the cockpit did allow the interceptor to see out the sides some
 Jan Gaarni
10-16-2004, 7:14 AM
If I'm not mistaken, TIE's are equiped with view-screens so the pilot can see all around the ship.
 Lieutenant_kettch
10-16-2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Jan Gaarni
If I'm not mistaken, TIE's are equiped with view-screens so the pilot can see all around the ship.

then how come there are complaints about TF pilots not having any side view capabilities
 El Sitherino
10-16-2004, 6:24 PM
Originally posted by Lieutenant_kettch
then how come there are complaints about TF pilots not having any side view capabilities this just shows the inconsistancies in the EU. :p

The authors should share works and ideas more often me thinks...
 Shok_Tinoktin
10-16-2004, 6:35 PM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
this just shows the inconsistancies in the EU. :p

The authors should share works and ideas more often me thinks...

It is not the responsibility of the authors to check for continuity, LFL has its own people in charge of checking for these things. In the early days when they first decided that EU should be continuous, they had very primitave means of patrolling this. However, nowadays they have had time to work it out, and keep these things to a minimum. For more info, look at the interview at the end of The Unifying Force, it has all kinds of stuff about this.
 El Sitherino
10-16-2004, 10:05 PM
It is not the responsibility of the authors to check for continuity. did I say it was? no. I just said perhaps they should get together to do so. I never stated anything about responsibility of continuity. kthxbai.
 RedHawke
10-16-2004, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Jan Gaarni
I have no favorite, I don't like any of them.

There's a reason why they are called TIE Uglies after all. :D

Agreed, I have no favorite either... they are well... they are all... ugly! :D
 primalunderdog
10-17-2004, 3:04 PM
I tend to like the TIE control pod-Ywing wings,I read a book with them in it and they seemed pretty cool since my favorite ship is the Y-wing
 Lieutenant_kettch
10-18-2004, 6:10 AM
Originally posted by primalunderdog
I tend to like the TIE control pod-Ywing wings,I read a book with them in it and they seemed pretty cool since my favorite ship is the Y-wing

thing that makes them sucks though is:
two lasers
no warheads
really slow
no shields

why:
-lasers on both TF and YW are on fuselage, so we have to use TF lasers
-warheads same thing, and TFs have no warheads
-use y-wing engines, means really slow YW speed
-shields are on fuselage, thus TF shields, thus no shields

but other than that, THEY ARE AWESOME
 primalunderdog
10-22-2004, 5:21 AM
He does have a point,They wernt that good,thats why it was old ship parts not a hybrid ship.
Page: 1 of 1