Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

LaunchBF.exe error

Page: 1 of 1
 Blankfore
10-10-2004, 8:35 PM
I have seen people touch on this problem but no solutions from anyone... when I try to launch the game, i just get an error from LaunchBF.exe and it closes itself. When I run the system check, everything passes up until the sound card, then that has an error and closes itself.

I thought this might then be a video card problem but I've tried about 5 different drivers and no luck. I have a Geforce3 Ti200 (128mb) and it supports everything that this game needs to run.

I'm now the proud owner of three brand new plastic frisbees :mad: Anyone have any suggestions?
 Simes7610
10-15-2004, 6:55 AM
exact same problem here, have tried basically everything...

reinstalled directx9.0c
installed BF to different drives
updated Radeon 9600 drivers

etc etc

could be a soundcard issue. i have a standard PCI Soundblaster Live! with drivers dated 24/7/2002 (vers 5.12.2.252). can't find anything more recent.

so i also have 3 frisbees sittin here, any help is MUCH appreciated.
 Simes7610
10-16-2004, 4:59 AM
ok, so i removed my soundblaster live! card and tried the basic VIA AC97 on board sound on my Gigabyte GA7DXE mobo to see if there was any improvement.

nope. still the exact same error.

i don't wanna upgrade to a newer soundcard than the Live! as its pretty decent and works well with everything else.

one thing i have noticed is that when i run "dxdiag" i get

"error: could not get basic sound info., result code=0x80070057 (invalid argument(s))", click ok and then it loads the directx diagnostic tool.

the test sound feature in directx9.0c works fine. when i click on the "directx files" tab i get in the note section at the bottom...

"several files (relating to gfx, ddraw.dll etc) are old versions and could cause problems - you should reinstall directx to get the latest version".

i have reinstalled directx9.0c twice since this problem with BF.

this is doing my head in!

any ideas?!
 Blankfore
10-16-2004, 4:14 PM
Simes- I seem to have fixed my problem, it was DirectX after all.

Head over to guru3d.com and look for DirectX Eradicator- it's a safe utility that requires your WinXP cd to run (but run it at your own discretion, etc. etc.).

After rolling back my DirectX I just went to Microsoft and downloaded a completely new copy of DX 9.0c and all seems to be fine now. I think it may be the "debug versions" of some of your DirectX files.
 Simes7610
10-17-2004, 1:05 AM
Blankfore, you're a star!

i was a bit apprehensive about removing directx after reading a few horror stories, but i went ahead anyway and now i get to shoot gungans!

many many thanks!
 Blankfore
10-17-2004, 6:14 PM
Not a problem- I was pretty frustrated trying to figure this one out myself.

Just out of curiosity, were you running a pre-release version of DirectX before the rollback? Guess that's what I get for downloading too many betas :p

Happy fragging!
Page: 1 of 1