Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The new DVD Trilogy

Page: 1 of 1
 DieStarWarsGeek
09-30-2004, 8:30 PM
Okay my worst nightmare came to life when I saw the new ending on return of the jedi... ---spoiler----- the original anakin skywalker replaced with the new guy! It was something I was hoping was just some crazy rumor... but god damn it... why? WHY???? simply retarded..

Otherwise, they are fantastic. Look better, sound better, nice retouches of stuff like jabba in the first one... I'm a happy boy. What are your opinions???
 thejeditraitor
09-30-2004, 8:37 PM
told you so. ha! ha!

i haven't been able to get mine yet, got the game instead.
it makes sense about anakin being young but it kinda spoils ep 3.

anakin does die, in a way. "the good man that was your father was destroyed", said obi-wan. when the true anakin is killed is when he turns to evil. so as he is redeemed right before he dies, his spirit is young and good like it was before he turned.

it also connects the saga together and luke gets to see his real father.

i like it.
 ET Warrior
09-30-2004, 10:24 PM
Luke DID see his real father. You know, Anakin, the guy BEHIND the Vader mask?

Everyone likes to cling to Obi-wans line about how Anakin died when he became vader, but why are we listening to ObiWan? It seems obvious from his stance that he doesn't believe Anakin can be redeemed and is therefore dead.

On degobah luke says
"I can't kill my own father"
to which obiwan replies
"Then the emperor has already won"

This seems to imply that obiwan excpects luke to kill vader because Vader is pure evil and cannot be redeemed. But we see differently at the end. Anakin is redeemed, he returns to the lightside and is the good man that he could have been all his life.

Replacing him with Hayden christensen is like saying "no, he really wasn't redeemed, he was still Vader, this is the only Anakin"

And THAT is garbage.
 DieStarWarsGeek
09-30-2004, 11:05 PM
Yes, I agree ET. It was lame. I like how it links the two trilogies, but really, it was just unnecessary, and muddles things up like those points you said. It's like, is he really young again, or his same self but just LOOKS like he used to, or vader as we know it is gone and that's all that's left, or what? Just dumb is all. Dumb.
 thejeditraitor
09-30-2004, 11:29 PM
obi-wan didn't know everything and he's saying that "look if you can't even face him... then the emperor has already won"

kenobi doesn't think he can be turned and he's right.
vader is evil.
that's because of what he has personally seen anakin do "spoiler"

luke is the only one who believes and that faith is what saves vader. up until vader kills the emperor he is still evil and must be killed to bring balance to the force (no sith). when vader himself kills the emperor he has redeemed himself and is no longer a sith and the remaining sith (the emperor) is on his way down the shaft.

therefore, anakin has fulfilled his prophecy as the chosen one who will bring the force into balance.
 Astrotoy7
10-01-2004, 2:53 AM
Originally posted by ET Warrior
Luke DID see his real father. You know, Anakin, the guy BEHIND the Vader mask?

....*rantage*....

And THAT is garbage.

he he he I was very anti the idea when I first heard about it. But now I have seen it, I have listened to GLs thoughts on it and I LOVE IT....look at my sig :D it *wonderfully* ties the OT and the PT together, and truly does make the 6 film saga all about anakin skywalker, whom we first meet a a little tyke in TPM...

GLs take on it is perfectly acceptable to me:

Anakin finds out from Yoda & Obi Wan about the ability to project an image of oneself once you are dead... OK he dies at the end of ROTJ... so he projects an image of himself before the horrible phase of his existence.... when he was fully and and totally himself, not a semblance of a man with a redeemed soul as you see in ROTJ

mtfbwya
 thejeditraitor
10-01-2004, 6:59 AM
thank the lord
 ET Warrior
10-01-2004, 9:19 AM
It already was about Anakin Skywalker, you know, because that was anakin standing by that fence. Changing it to another actor that played anakin skywalker doesn't make it any MORE anakin.

I think it does a terrible disservice to the ending of RotJ, and then entire meaning behind the redemtion of anakin skywalker. To me it feels like George Lucas is saying that Anakin skywalker was not redeemed.
 Prime
10-01-2004, 11:20 AM
Could we please leave this dead horse alone...
 El Sitherino
10-01-2004, 11:43 AM
To me it feels like George Lucas is saying that Anakin skywalker was not redeemed. your thoughts on the matter are clouded, padawan. xP sorry, had to say it ET.

*agrees with Prime*

If you really don't like it, just don't watch the very end of jedi, not that hard.
 Astrotoy7
10-03-2004, 12:53 AM
It already was about Anakin Skywalker, you know, because that was anakin standing by that fence. Changing it to another actor that played anakin skywalker doesn't make it any MORE anakin.

I think it does a terrible disservice to the ending of RotJ, and then entire meaning behind the redemtion of anakin skywalker. To me it feels like George Lucas is saying that Anakin skywalker was not redeemed.

Regardless of the way it feels to you, GLs comments are exactly as in my sig....for him anakin *projected* the identity of how he preferred himself to be remembered and appear to his son.... (BTW, I have often wondered, did Leia see the ghosts too ???)

Let me give you an analogy of what I understand Lucas to have meant by his comments on it...

lets say your friend dies in a car accident. When there is wake, there often is a photo. This photo is usually a nice pic of that person right, like a graduation pic etc, not a pic of that person slumped over the wheel of their car spattered in blood.... It obviously is important enough in GLs mind for him to warrant changing it... once again....it is his to change....he couldve put ALF there if he wanted, its his damn movie to spoil or enhance as he sees fit :D !

but car accidents and ALF aside, ET I suggest you do what sithy says, when you watch ROTJ, close your eyes at the end.... and I would also suggest you imagine Old Shaw's Ghost still there !!! :p

*respect the ghostage* :p

mtfbwya
 Whoopknacker
10-04-2004, 7:23 AM
Also consider that the old actor (Shaw) was wearing Jedi robes. When Anakin fell, he fell when he was young (Christensen) he was wearing the robes then. That is why you cant see Anakin as an old Jedi, because he never was one.

Was it Hayden that was Vader when the helmet was removed? He looked different.
 El Sitherino
10-05-2004, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by Whoopknacker
Was it Hayden that was Vader when the helmet was removed? He looked different. no, that was shaw, they removed his eyebrows, lowered his brow, so it looked more like hayden.
 Evil Dark Jedi
10-05-2004, 12:47 AM
I wish a had the trilogy to see all the changes they have made. For now I will stick with the VHS.
Page: 1 of 1