Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Mappin' n' ****! :)

Page: 1 of 1
 Chester_57
09-25-2004, 1:36 AM
Cause the search function is disabled by an admin, i don't know if there already is such a thread about this but i have a few questions. Well, her goes:

1. How do you add your own textures to a map and where do you put em if you just wanna test a map?

2. How do you let the name of the map appear in the loading screen?

3. Do you just add an .mp3 file in the folder 'music' in the map's .pk3 to add music?

4. What is the best BSP (compile) process for what? Like: Testing, Final work.. etc. etc.

5. What is better? Big lights, and not so much of them. Or small lights and allot of them?

6. How do you spawn vehicles with a button? I know how to add NPC's and how to make buttons.. but do you just have to connect them with ctrl+K?
 _PerfectAgent_
09-25-2004, 6:46 AM
1. Put them all into pk3s make sure that they are the right size. They have to be multiples of 2 (2,4,8,6,32,64,128,256,512, and so on). Also, they must be either jpg or tga. Put them into the textures folder.

2. You mean when the map loads, or when you choose a map? Well, when you put the message for when the map loads, you bring up the entity menu and choose worldspawn. Then, for the key, you put message; for the value, you put whatever message you like the person loading the map to see. It could be the name of the map, or some funky message like, "I eat Funyons and nothing else."

If you're talking about making it selectable in the menu, then make a .arena file. You can copy one from any pk3; they are located in the scripts folder. Here is the key to what to edit.
This is to be used in an arena file
map "bspmapname"
bots "Whatever bots you would like to have. You can leave it blank"
longname "The map's full name."
fraglimit "Whatever amount of frags by default."
type " The gametypes this map supports "

3. Just put an mp3 file into the music folder in the pk3. You must refer to it in the worldspawn entity however. For the key, you must put music. For the value, put the name of the file, plus all the folders it is in.

4. Testing: Q3Map2: BSP -meta. Final: Q3Map2: (final) BSP -meta, -vis, -light -fast -filter -super 2 -bounce 8

5. It all depends on what kind of atmosphere you like. Just make sure the lights come from a reasonable light source, it looks better that way.

6. I think you have to connect those entities with ctrl+k.
 Lil Killa
09-25-2004, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by _PerfectAgent_
1. Put them all into pk3s make sure that they are the right size. They have to be multiples of 2 (2,4,8,6,32,64,128,256,512, and so on). Also, they must be either jpg or tga. Put them into the textures folder.

They can be png files as well. Also, for testing purposes textures don't have to be in the pk3. just make sure they are in a folder in the textures folder. When in-game you will need to type /sv_pure 0 before loading the map.

Upon releasing the map you will need to include the textures in a pk3 file.
 Chester_57
09-28-2004, 9:30 AM
Originally posted by Lil Killa
When in-game you will need to type /sv_pure 0 before loading the map.

THAT'S why they didn't show when i typed: /devmap <name> for testing, they showed grey/white.. you know, thanks man :)

And thank you PerfectAgent, for you explainings. It helped me.
 GothiX
09-28-2004, 9:48 AM
Default GTK compiles suck.
 Codja X
09-29-2004, 6:52 PM
Originally posted by GothiX
Default GTK compiles suck.

and download the latest version of Q3map2 as well:

http://www.shaderlab.com/q3map2/2.5/)

(q3map2 v2.5.15 - at the bottom)
 Chester_57
10-26-2004, 11:53 PM
If i download that and place the files where they need to be, i can't load up GTK Radiant anymore. I get an error.

Then if i install the old files back to the original directory, it works again. What can be the problem?
 mslaf
10-27-2004, 1:08 AM
You must put q3map2 in separate directory. Then you'll need to modify *.qe4 files inside scripts directory if you want to use radiant's built-in compilation, create a batch script or use a 3rd party q3map2 front-end.

Sample batch file:
REM #!/bin/sh:)
@echo off

set Q3MAP2=C:\Program files\Q3Map2\q3map2.exe
set GAME=ja

REM Modify this variables to match your mapname and game location
set BASE=C:\Jedi Academy\GameData\base
set MAP=mymap

REM # fast test compilation
REM
REM BSP stage
"%Q3MAP2%" -meta -game %GAME% -fs_basepath "%BASE%" "%BASE%\maps\%MAP%.map"
REM VIS stage
"%Q3MAP2%" -vis -fast -game %GAME% -fs_basepath "%BASE%" "%BASE%\maps\%MAP%.bsp"
REM LIGHT stagee
"%Q3MAP2%" -light -fast -game %GAME% -fs_basepath "%BASE%" "%BASE%\maps\%MAP%.bsp"

pause
exit

REM # normal test compliation
REM
REM BSP stage
REM VIS stage
"%Q3MAP2%" -vis -game %GAME% -fs_basepath "%BASE%" "%BASE%\maps\%MAP%.bsp"
REM LIGHT stage
"%Q3MAP2%" -light -fast -filter -patchshadows -game %GAME% -fs_basepath "%BASE%" "%BASE%\maps\%MAP%.bsp"

REM # final compliation
REM
REM BSP stage
REM VIS stage
"%Q3MAP2%" -vis -game %GAME% -fs_basepath "%BASE%" "%BASE%\maps\%MAP%.bsp"
REM LIGHT stage
"%Q3MAP2%" -light -fast -filter -patchshadows -samples 2 -game %GAME% -fs_basepath "%BASE%" "%BASE%\maps\%MAP%.bsp"

REM end

You can add:
-bounce 2, 4 or 8 to the final LIGHT stage if you have a lot of free time and don't want to waste your CPU cycles,
-saveprt to the VIS stage if you want to use a "portal viewer" plug-in in radiant.
 GothiX
10-28-2004, 12:53 PM
Pfft, that batch file seems overly complex to me. All I had in mine was this:
"D:\path\to\q3map2.exe" -meta -v -game ja "D:\path\to\map.map"
"D:\path\to\q3map2.exe" -vis -v -saveprt -game ja "D:\path\to\map.bsp"
"D:\path\to\q3map2.exe" -light -v -fast -fastbounce -patchshadows -samples 3 -bounce 4 -dirty -gamma 2 -game ja "D:\path\to\map.bsp"
 Chester_57
12-27-2004, 10:16 AM
So how do i update to q3map 2.5.16?
 Lil Killa
12-27-2004, 3:46 PM
 Chester_57
12-29-2004, 9:17 AM
If i update it, GTK Radiant won't work anymore. If i re-install the original files it works again, so how do i install it and what are those codes y'all are posting? Where do i change what?
 Chester_57
12-30-2004, 12:58 AM
So how do i update q3map? What do i have to adjust? I mean, if i update it (q3map) then GTK Radiant won't load anymore! Arghhhhhh! :p
 Ockniel
12-30-2004, 11:01 PM
yeah, q3map is such a pain to get working, :( Im sure if you get it working, it would blow the radiant compiler out of the water, bt, if your map is not hugely large, without alot of complicated lighting, Im sure it will do fine :)
Page: 1 of 1