Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Dedicated Servers Thread

Page: 1 of 1
 [RNGD]Tyrant
09-20-2004, 3:15 PM
Here you go:

ps/2 http://www.fileplanet.com/files/140000/145863.shtml)

pc http://www.lucasfiles.com/?s=&action=file&id=763)

....who's your daddy?

If you don't mind, I changed the download link for PC. Lucasfiles is a) official fansite for lucasarts downloads b) from our network and c) no waiting lines ;) ~Alegis
 RDX1
09-20-2004, 3:33 PM
No Linux? :(
 Vader523
09-20-2004, 3:36 PM
Im downloading the PS2 one now. Sucsk for XBoxers lol, but when I get the game tomorrow I will host a game from my PC. Nice find, thank you so much!
 avonnied
09-20-2004, 3:40 PM
Originally posted by RDX1

i know they are planning one but like all games it will probably be later than sooner..

in the meantime it would be interesting to try this under WineX since they are no really heavy graphics or sound calls it should work..
 Spyder777
09-20-2004, 3:40 PM
u have to subscribe??? that sux is there somewhere else that has it ( if not can someone let me use there name and password or sumthing im desprate)
 RDX1
09-20-2004, 3:43 PM
Originally posted by avonnied
i know they are planning one but like all games it will probably be later than sooner..

in the meantime it would be interesting to try this under WineX since they are no really heavy graphics or sound calls it should work..

There is no way my server company will run Battlefront under Wine..... :evanpiel:
 Stryker412
09-20-2004, 3:45 PM
Originally posted by RDX1

Seriously wtf? They better release linux files.
 Spyder777
09-20-2004, 3:54 PM
Originally posted by Spyder777
u have to subscribe??? that sux is there somewhere else that has it ( if not can someone let me use there name and password or sumthing im desprate)

nevermind i see the free basic membership
 Vader523
09-20-2004, 5:08 PM
I downloaded it and its awsome great find! I just made a room and I dont even have the game yet lol I was just playing around with it. Cant wait until tomorrow.
 S31 Apoc
09-20-2004, 5:13 PM
O yes S31 server will be up tomorror night :) ..... Linux will come later it always does
 Brooklyn
09-20-2004, 5:19 PM
Thank Goodness .... WTG Lucus!
 Alegis
09-21-2004, 2:22 AM
I split and merged all posts concerning bugs etc about the pc dedicated server in the technical feedback forum. Please post your problems and solutions etc there.
 JohnnyKnoxville
09-21-2004, 3:34 AM
Any info on admining the server? There's nothing in the docs, and the server window itself does not seem to have a live console...

Now call me a negative nancy, but why do companies still release MP games without proper admin support?
 Kramerika
09-21-2004, 4:42 AM
I totally agree with you. Inexcusable and shooting themselves in the foot in a big way.
 x'R
09-21-2004, 6:23 AM
Link: to the server files.

*zoinks*, try somewhere else, but not here ~Alegis
 jasa-chosen
09-21-2004, 6:26 AM
anyone having high ping issues. I mean in JA i ping 60 to the dedicated box in this game i ping 110. Infact everyone does or higher. I can even find a server where i ping below 100. WHAT DID THEY DO TO THIS GAME!!!!!!! I tried with bots i tried with out bots I tried everything it is making me mad. They better release a stinkin patch fast.
 Neon
09-21-2004, 6:39 AM
Can you use it without the game installed?
 x'R
09-21-2004, 7:40 AM
Yes... it is just the server files.
 frayedends
09-21-2004, 8:07 AM
Friday I sent an email to Pandemic again outlining some concerns I am having regarding the lack of information for server hosts, providers, etc., and asking for a contact and communications forum with the project directors and/or development staff.

I did receive a reply on Saturday from Josh Resnick himself, informing me he has passed my request along to the project leads and asking them to reply to my email ASAP.

As of this morning, I have received no reply.

I made my request on behalf of the large community of server operators who host public and rental servers on high speed connections, or through co-located or datacenter operations. you know who you are - we see eachother on other mailing lists every day :)

Unfortunately, the lack of response from Pandemic and the lack of any non-windows server binaries means most of us will remain in the dark until someone at Pandemic steps up and tells us what is going on. In the meantime, we have seen the Windows binary have some trouble, and we can probably expect the same out of any Linux/BSD binaries that may (or may not) be released in the future.

In any event, I wish to express my utter disappointment with LucasArts and Pandemic at this juncture for a clear snub at the Unix/Linux gaming community, for failing to address the issue of server binaries - which should have been ported and released ahead of the client launch.

Sad to say, but I will remain on the sidelines running BF1942 and BF:V, not purchasing the new game until the folks in charge decide to get their act together and provide the gaming community what it needs.
 FREAKA
09-21-2004, 8:38 AM
I have a question..please help

Lets say I want to host a game on my pc, but I am playing via my ps2. What file would I download and how would I go about setting that up? Would I need 2 discs or can I just create a room using that program and join it via the ps2?

ok so that was multiple questions...please help
 kailaurius
09-21-2004, 9:01 AM
What ports do the servers use?
 avonnied
09-21-2004, 9:18 AM
wrong quote.. that was for JohnnyKnoxville's post regarding admin controls..

don't think there is.. i looked last night and it appears to be no admin controls whatso ever.. even something as simple as kicking a player seems to have to be voted on. This i most likely a artifact of the game being a console port versus a true PC original.
 kailaurius
09-21-2004, 9:22 AM
Ok looks like the port is 3658. Now that I have my ports open on my firewall I still can't see my server in the server list when I load the game from my PC. Does the dedicated server that I have the game server running on have to have the game itself installed on it? I was reading through the dedicated server management help page and it says "When you're ready to start your game session, click the Start button. After a few minutes, the game session will launch in a separate window. To end the session, click the Stop button. That sounds like to me that you have to have the actual game installed on the same server as the dedicated server files. Please tell me I'm wrong about this, and if I am then there must be something I'm not setting up right on the dedicated server.
 Kramerika
09-21-2004, 9:37 AM
I installed the server from the dedicated server install for the PC, and did not install the retail game. By all accounts, it is showing up in the browser without me doing anything extra other than shutting down my firewall until I can figure out all the proper ports. It's possible that there is another port in use for the browser that you do not have open?

[OSF] May the Force Be With You

Incidentally, the lack of dedicated server options and features affects even the server name. It's nice how the name will not accept spaces and runs everything together you type there no matter what you do. :rolleyes:
 avonnied
09-21-2004, 9:37 AM
Originally posted by kailaurius
Ok looks like the port is 3658. Now that I have my ports open on my firewall I still can't see my server in the server list when I load the game from my PC. Does the dedicated server that I have the game server running on have to have the game itself installed on it? I was reading through the dedicated server management help page and it says "When you're ready to start your game session, click the Start button. After a few minutes, the game session will launch in a separate window. To end the session, click the Stop button. That sounds like to me that you have to have the actual game installed on the same server as the dedicated server files. Please tell me I'm wrong about this, and if I am then there must be something I'm not setting up right on the dedicated server.

you might want to look for other ports, there is most likely a gamespy specific port..

i can't remember but last night i was looking at my firewall info on the client and it seemed to be also using port 19900 which is most likely the gamespy port.. if the gamespy port isn't open you won't see it on hte server list.
 kailaurius
09-21-2004, 9:42 AM
Ok, thx. I will look into the gamespy ports, and let you know if I get it to work. Thx again.
 Neon
09-21-2004, 10:31 AM
I've downloaded but didn't installed it yet, I wait untill I have the game.
 kailaurius
09-21-2004, 10:32 AM
Ok I found all the ports needed for gamespy located at http://www.gamespyarcade.com/support/firewalls.shtml)

I opened up all the ports including the port needed for the game itself and I still can't see the server listed. I then completely turned the firewall off and am now wide open to the internet with no security and no restrictions and I still can't see my server in the list. Has anyone been able to get the dedicated server files from gamespy to work? If so could you explain how you got it to work. Thx.

EDIT: Ok I just tried direct connection to the ip address my server is running on and I could not connect. I know there's nothing wrong with the internet connection on this server. I use and have used this server for other connections and currently use ventrilo with no problems. I have to conclude at this point that there must be something wrong with the battelfront dedicated server files downloaded from gamespy. Oh and I can also ping my server from a remote location.
 RealRauch
09-21-2004, 5:15 PM
Originally posted by Vader523
Im downloading the PS2 one now. Sucsk for XBoxers lol, but when I get the game tomorrow I will host a game from my PC. Nice find, thank you so much!

Just wait for the first guys cheating on the PS2 and the PC servers. After that you will wish to have a Xbox...

Greetings from Germany
RealRauch
 ssc|nuTinmuch
09-21-2004, 6:32 PM
I plan on having both PC and Xbox versions :D
 Nathaniel_EPGS
09-21-2004, 7:40 PM
Wow. The dedicated server does not even work!

I have been hosting for awhile now and know what I am doing......my god this is a drag.
 Ciporin
09-21-2004, 8:35 PM
Actually, the dedicated server files for PS2 seem to work alright for me, but I can only see my game if I set the game as a LAN game. Anyone know how to configure a router to work with a computer as a dedicated server and a PS2 on the same LAN?
 Kramerika
09-22-2004, 3:50 AM
I guess we can't post our own topics in this forum. That might help to keep things more organized rather than trying to wade through this thread to find specific items later.

I'm looking for the complete list of incoming TCP and UDP ports necessary for this game server. I'm also looking for the complete list of parameters to run it from a command line. Anyone have any insight on these things?
 Alf
09-22-2004, 7:20 AM
HI everybody,

i've tried to run the PC dedicated server. I've chosen the options i want and the clicked on start.

The console window pops up and the it gives me a windows error (Error in Application) and the closes.

Any hints?

Greetings
Alf
 Awol
09-22-2004, 7:40 AM
Well I have the dedicated PC server installed and running. I have a few issues. Can't seem to connect to it directly by IP address but works fine if I find it on the list of servers?

Anyone know whats going on with this. I do have multiple IP addresses bound to this PC is it using one at random? I only tried the main IP address guess I will try the others.

Just read there are no Admin controls besides what I see :( thats going to suck big time if I can't change settings.

Well good luck to all running a server see you in the game.
 [ILB]Pebbles
09-22-2004, 11:41 AM
Well, This has to be the most unconfigurable server I have ever worked with...

I have gone through all the ports and can not even see my Battlefront server on the list.

I have three other servers running without any issues;

Jedi Knight II : JO
UT2004: DM and ONS

All running on linux boxes.

I will try again tonight when i get home, but right now i very disappointed in Lucas Arts, all the Hype with a fizzel when released. Also dilike the idea they got involved with gamespy, just another big brother looking over me and my servers.

[ILB]Pebbles

www.bedrock-jk.net)
 ForcedRegIsLame
09-22-2004, 9:19 PM
Originally posted by Alf
HI everybody,

i've tried to run the PC dedicated server. I've chosen the options i want and the clicked on start.

The console window pops up and the it gives me a windows error (Error in Application) and the closes.

Any hints?

Greetings
Alf

Strange but true...Do you have DirectX 9c installed on that system? It is required for the dedicated server to run.
 Alf
09-23-2004, 3:58 AM
Originally posted by ForcedRegIsLame

Strange but true...Do you have DirectX 9c installed on that system? It is required for the dedicated server to run.

Yes i have and also installed WIndows XP Servicepack 2, the newest Chipset-Drivers and the most recent Graphic- Card drivers...

Specs:

Athlon XP 2800+
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
512 MB RAM

Greetings
Alf
 Canine
09-23-2004, 8:25 AM
Originally posted by kailaurius
Ok I just tried direct connection to the ip address my server is running on and I could not connect. I know there's nothing wrong with the internet connection on this server.

A buddy and I spent a couple hours yesterday testing the different connection options and we were unable to connect to any server using Direct Connect unless it was created as a Direct Connect server.

So, nasty comments about why the developer(s) thought this was a good idea aside, the question remains - how do you start a dedicated, Direct Connect server (or connect directly to a LAN server without going through GS)?

(I currently run BF servers in LAN mode so they aren't advertised - with ports open/forwarded people have no problem connecting directly)

woof
 TheRealJakku
09-23-2004, 8:40 AM
I just bought three copies of this game for PS2, one for me, one for my brother, and one for my girlfriend so that we could all play together. And I'm incredibly disapointed. The game says 16 players over broadband, we're only able to join servers with a max of 6 people. It takes a long time to load server lists, and we ususally don't even get the same games in the list. And now that I find a file to run a dedicated server from my computer, I have to wait for it to download of off fileplanet. Why couldn't this be available off the official website? Why do they have to make it so difficult to play the games I just spent 150$ to play? SOCOM II has server lists that work and allow people to play without the frustration of trying server after server, and then being told "Session is full" when it obviously isn't. I love this game, we've been playing the spiltscreen non-stop, but I wish the online play would work as well as they brag it will when they talk to magazines etc.
Basically: Why can't I play my game?
 .DESPOT.MOB.
09-24-2004, 6:11 AM
Why are there so many people who post about the problems they are having; but noone who has the PS2 pc ded server working is giving any ideas on how to help others get running?

If anyone has any thoughts they would be appreciated.

I can start and play in a lan-based game so the server app is running correctly. I just cant get it to the net so that it is visible on the session list.

Running XP pro sp1a, behind a netgear router. I have forwarded all the ports I have seen listed and still no joy.
Pc firewall is Norton so it created permissions for the program automatically.
Next, I intend to try Pc right to the modem to see if its the router.

If anyone can help, I thank you in advance.
 alucardjo
09-26-2004, 2:31 PM
i down loaded it and installed it, but it is to big and i cant minamize it, or resize it, so i can not launc it, how do you fix this?
:fett:
 Firemann816
09-27-2004, 5:04 AM
ALU -
I know what you mean
The pandemic coders have hardcoded the Window Size and it cant be tweaked
I'm running 1280x1024
and still cant see the whole thing :mad:
Weak

Anyway
I'm trying a batch file with all the command line options to see if that works

If I get it working I'll post my batch file on this forum

(If pandemic is reading this - I'll donate my copy of JK2 to them so they can dl the linux binaries and get a vague feel for what a PC version dedicated server should at minimum look and feel like :cool: )

Best of luck all
Page: 1 of 1