Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Alternative radio play

Page: 1 of 1
 Gabez
09-18-2004, 7:44 AM
This (http://www.scummbar.com/index.php?newssniffer=readcomment&news=737) is a really great radio play that everyone should download and listen to now.

I DON'T THINK!

Seriously, I don't mean to be a snob or anything, but GOD the voice acting is so bad. Also the script is like an exact copy of the game which means you might as well play it rather than listen to it, but even the script pales in comparison to the voices.

I'm sorry if some of the people who made this come here and read this, but *someone* has to tell the truth.

In it's favour, it's great that someone even attempted this, and voice acting is like the most difficult thing in the world to do well, and the first two episodes aren't as dismal as the third, so it's not *all* bad. But still. Download and laugh.
 Sallim
09-18-2004, 10:05 AM
Its not that bad Gabez ;) But youre right, its not this high quality like nightlight has reached.

Oh well..I cant take it anymore ^^

Edit.

And the background music is really, bad mixed....

thats it, Iam short in answers ;)
 Gabez
09-18-2004, 12:31 PM
The third part is even worse than the first and second, if that's possible. It makes you apreciate just how great Nightlight is!

Edit: Try listening to part three and then BMI part one to see what I mean!
 Sallim
09-18-2004, 1:24 PM
So I heard part 1 and 3 and I cant cpmplain. As long I cant do it better, I dont say anything bad ...as Sal, but...

As a regular Nightlight listener its really unwell done. The parts with the girl voices sounded like someone decided to let some fans join. If 8 would ask me to join on Tierra 2, it would be like that lol

The bgm is annoying, and for me its very hard to hear out whoґs talkin right now and to understand what exactly.

I dont think they had a real record studio ( or how to say?) and that would explain why it isnt done that well.

Weґre all lucky that we can enjoy 8ґs great work of the past and future.

Iam glad I could join Nightlight in my own way =)

It lets you really appreciate our high quality standard.

Arthur
 MJ
09-18-2004, 10:57 PM
Everyone's got to start somewhere.

But really, half the thing is a narrator. I try to avoid having a narrator at all. And if I do need a narrator, they interact with the characters (Lost Cause, and the unrecorded Pharaoh)

It gives 'radio plays' a bad name. If you're going to do one, at least have a decent storyline. Rehashing Secret of Monkey Island... well... people already know the story. So the only reason there is to listen to the thing is for the voices. And it isn't exactly worth listening for that.

Exactly why I came up with my own story set in the same place. Beneath Monkey Island might be a little formulaic, but at least it's a good laugh.

At least this radio thing that this guy made is good for ONE thing. It makes me really want to continue Beneath Monkey Island even if it is just to show that there's something better out there. :)
 Gabez
09-19-2004, 2:30 AM
Originally posted by 8 of 12
Rehashing Secret of Monkey Island... well... people already know the story.Exactly, and the dialouge is so ripped that you might as well be playing the actual game. Like in part three, Guybrush actually talks to the first SCUMM Bar pirate before being told that he needs to talk to another SCUMM Bar pirate. Why not just have both pirates as one? Maybe even merge them all together in the form of the three important ant looking pirates? There obviously hasn't been any cutting whatsoever.

But as you said, everyone's got to start somewhere, and I hope that Vampire Wymzic Productions or whatever it's called will try again, taking the criticism from their first try into hand.
 John Kimble
09-21-2004, 3:57 AM
Yeh. :wstupid:
 Gabez
09-21-2004, 8:02 AM
Were you calling me stupid?
 Sallim
09-21-2004, 10:21 AM
Nah, he talked about me, of course *rolleyes*

Yeah XD
 Incredible_d
09-21-2004, 6:29 PM
It seems like they're trying to speak quietly or something. It doesn't work at all.

I'm sorry but that show is pretty terrible. Just the lack of an enthusiastic sound contributes to how bad it is. And it shouldn't have ripped off the storyline of "Secret."

I'VE made better radio shows than this. And mine were terrible!

No offense to those who've made it, obviously. But try again with maybe a more original script and some more enthusiastic acting and you'll have a much better show.
 John Kimble
09-25-2004, 12:20 AM
YEH! :wstupid:

Nah seriously i dun agree with you. its a great radio show. its so good i dont even need to see it........:nutz1:
 Thrik
09-25-2004, 7:15 AM
How old are you, John?
 VampireNaomi
09-25-2004, 7:23 AM
Looking at his profile, I'd say 19. However, that often doesn't tell much of person's mental age. Just look at me, I'm mentally ten years younger than physically. Meh. :p
 Sallim
09-25-2004, 8:25 AM
Same here lol!
 MJ
09-27-2004, 12:15 AM
Holy Zebra I feel old. Is anyone here older than me?

I realised a kinda depressing thought... two days ago was the two year anniversary of the beginning of Lost Cause. I can't beleive that Nightlight has been stagnant for this long. :(

Relaunch coming along nicely though. I typed to Metallus today, we should see something fairly soon.

REALLY appreciate all of this, Met. Really really.

Nightlight's going to look better than it ever has.

Oh, and did I mention... GREEEEEEEEN!!! :D:D:D
 LiMP RABBiT
09-27-2004, 7:22 AM
Originally posted by 8 of 12
Oh, and did I mention... GREEEEEEEEN!!! :D:D:D [/B]
YES!!! Always a good thing! Green glorious green. When I saw the T-shirt on the sims I nearly wept in jealousy. No joke... Seriously... No, I am being serious... SERIOUSLY!!! I've been preparing for the relaunch, listening to the golden oldies a few times. I have to congratulate you on how great they are, even after the umpteenth time. Can't wait.
 John Kimble
09-29-2004, 8:27 PM
Hey Thrik...shutup . BTW is there going to be any soundtrack/music behind the animation? anyone composing it? or is it going to be the sounds of silence? :p
 MJ
09-30-2004, 2:04 AM
Well at the moment even thinking about music would be getting too far ahead of ourselves. It's taken about a year to get as far as three characters and a room. :)
 Sallim
09-30-2004, 3:34 AM
Hey...it isnt this far..as project leader, co-designer and helper by myself, I can say...it will take some time but the project is moving everytime faster.

suprise is dead...a least a bit
 John Kimble
09-30-2004, 6:22 AM
hehe ah ok. well at least 3 characters and are room are better than nothing. Maybe you could do a animation that works entirely within one room...like "PhoneBooth" for those of you who have seen it, hehe. :)
 LiMP RABBiT
09-30-2004, 7:22 AM
Any chance of new images in the near future? I'm especially interested in the backgrounds, because the characters were always going to be Grim Fandangoish, but the rooms I've got nothing to go on (unless of course they're Grim Fandangoish too).
 Sallim
09-30-2004, 8:25 AM
Sorry but all I can say is, wait for relaunch. There isnt much, like you allready read. But rooms arent that difficult. For new Chara designs I have to be in contact with 8 every day. And because of the different time zones its kinda hard, espeacially if 8 just got a dial up connection.

Yeah it takes a while, sorry guys. But I try my best and Iam learning while doing. I just learned it by myself =/

At least... the room is a bit Grim fandango style, you will see ....

I try to make something new up to relaunch date, which is unknown for me, at the moment.

Thanks for waiting for nightlight guys.
 Holdios
09-30-2004, 7:45 PM
Hey. I'm happy to wait for Nightlight anyday. I can have more patience than a briefcase in January if it means I get to experience the fine company and brilliant creative radio productions that Nightlight is. Take your time guys. It'll be worth it. (that doesn't mean I'm less eager to get my Tshirt. muah ha ha)
 Gabez
10-01-2004, 6:04 AM
Originally posted by LiMP RABBiT
Any chance of new images in the near future? I'm especially interested in the backgrounds, because the characters were always going to be Grim Fandangoish, but the rooms I've got nothing to go on (unless of course they're Grim Fandangoish too). That's a point, have you played Grim Fandango? Because if you haven't I could lend it to you.
 The Adventurer
10-01-2004, 11:00 AM
For GOOD, non-Nightlight online Radio plays I recomend the The Two Minute Danger Theater plays. You can find several of them archived over at Camp Chaos Productions (http://www.campchaos.com/show.php?iID=39). Star with Blast Off Patrol, then Blake Dimond, and Then the Voice. They rock.
 Jaws
10-02-2004, 7:37 AM
but GOD the voice acting is so bad

Thank you very much.
 Gabez
10-02-2004, 10:32 AM
Ah jeeze, this is where I start feeling guilty.

But to be honest, it was bad voice acting. I'm sorry, it was.

Not that I'm saying I could do any better - as I said before, voice acting is a lot harder than people think, and what you've achieved is a good place to start.

Out of interest, what part did you play? Some characters were better than others.
 Jaws
10-02-2004, 3:57 PM
I played one of the important looking pirates .. the one that kinda sounds like one of the lawyers in EMI when I say "Why bother us?".
 Gabez
10-03-2004, 8:36 AM
Okay, well, in all honesty, you're the best voice actor in the whole damn thing.

Unfortunately, that's not saying much...
 Sallim
10-03-2004, 9:27 AM
At least he is better then I ever could be ^_^

Never give up. And you souldnt forgot, everytime you try you improve a little bit more.
 Gabez
10-03-2004, 12:14 PM
Well said!

To be honest, I think the voice acting was made a lot worse by the poor script and mixing.

For instance, one of the reasons the important looking pirates sounded crap was because they all sounded different - only Jaws sounded like he should have (the second one sounded like she was from one of those dodgy sex phone lines WTF was up with that; the other sounded like she was a train platform announcer or something). I reckon they should have moulded the three pirates into one, and had Jaws do it, or else got simmilar sounding actors.
 Jaws
10-03-2004, 1:41 PM
Okay, well, in all honesty, you're the best voice actor in the whole damn thing.

Unfortunately, that's not saying much...

hehe, thank you.

One could blame the crappyness of the play on mixing and bad quality mic's. But you also have to remember, that we are inexperienced... and most of us have english as a second language.

and obviously we will sound bad when compared to someone with excelent sound quality, experience and english as a native tounge. :) We are called amature voice actors as a reason. And as far as I know, for most of the other actors involved this was their first attempt at something like this.
 Gabez
10-03-2004, 2:03 PM
Good for you! I'm sorry I had to be so blunt in my criticisms. Good luck for any further voice acting work you do.

P.S. I'm sure that you're a much much better voice actor than I am!
 Jaws
10-03-2004, 2:42 PM
Thanks,

As for further work, I'm going to be in Bad Timing and Apprentice 1. And of course maybe some minor roles in Roger Foobelly.

P.S. I'm sure that you're a much much better voice actor than I am!

I wouldn't know, I've never heard you :)
 Gabez
10-04-2004, 9:54 AM
You've never heard of me? What does that tell you? :)

And by Bad Timing, do you mean the adventure game? I faintly remember reading about that years ago and think it looked really good.
 Jaws
10-04-2004, 12:29 PM
You've never heard of me? What does that tell you?
I kinda figured. I was being polite :)

Yup, Bad Timing the adventuregame... Made by Empty House Ent
 Gabez
10-05-2004, 8:40 AM
Well, that's cool. I reckon you'll be great for it, really I do; game voices are harder to ruin by bad mixing than radio voices are!
 Jaws
10-05-2004, 11:13 AM
Well, that's cool. I reckon you'll be great for it, really I do; game voices are harder to ruin by bad mixing than radio voices are!

Thank you :) yeah, and the guys in charge have more experience with this sort of thing, so mixing won't be a problem.

I would upload some samples of my voice work, but the only server I have that on is the password protected Foodbelly server, and this forum doesn't have a uplady button thingy obviously. So blah. hehe
Page: 1 of 1