Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

To get it reprinted...

Page: 1 of 1
 KTCoope
09-17-2004, 8:40 AM
Been thinking about the Sam and Max comics and how great they are, and a thought occured to me.

Is anything actually being DONE with the comic rights?

Because, thinking on the other comics I read, I reckon that the company 'Slave Labour Graphics' (responsible for Johnny the Homicidal Maniac, Bear, Lenore and other fun stuff) would probably really like Sam and Max. And with the huge show of solidrity amoung the fans when the new game for axed, I bet it'd sell well too...

What do other people think?
 Udvarnoky
09-18-2004, 5:19 PM
I don't think it's so much a rights issue but a financial one. In any case, Steve Purcell promised that "someday" there would be a new collection.
 SMNMX
09-18-2004, 8:44 PM
There is already talk of a "Best of" compilation, so I expect there's a company already with the rights.

And you forgot my favorite Slave Labor Graphics comic, Squee!
 KTCoope
09-19-2004, 7:33 AM
Ah, I didn't forget Squee, mearly counted it amoung Nny, seeing as it is a spinoff.

I hope it comes out fairly soon. It's so infuriating, I LOST my copy of Surfin the Highway. It took me AGES to get a copy of it :(

I wonder who has the rights...

(Btw, if you like Squee and Sam and Max, check out Bear on SLG. It's good good good stuff.)
 StonerDaveN'Max
09-29-2004, 6:29 PM
Aren't you quite the activist? Either way, as samnmax said, the closest thing you will get is a complimation book.

And eh, Howdy familliar faces.
 Udvarnoky
09-30-2004, 1:15 PM
Originally posted by StonerDaveN'Max
the closest thing you will get is a complimation book.

Even if it takes two lifetimes, Purcell has hinted that someday we would get new material. I believe he wants to make an "epic saga" of the story from the other canceled Sam & max game (you know, the space one that Infinite Machine was developing) one day.
 Tak
09-30-2004, 2:11 PM
So no one on this forum has sam and max comics? :( *forever search continues* So is this sure about the "best of" compilation or is this still in the rumour category?
 StonerDaveN'Max
10-01-2004, 12:12 PM
Here comes the clue train! Next stop, Tak. Most of the fanbase are from the comics, and there has been 2 or so complimation books. Now go sit in the corner for a while dip****.
 flint paper
10-01-2004, 5:55 PM
Way to get off the prozac dave. It's about time.
 Tak
10-02-2004, 8:19 PM
I know there are compilation books out and that theyre out of print. I was inquiring about a new one that was mentioned earlier in this forum.
 flint paper
10-02-2004, 8:40 PM
check out www.samandmax.net) for news on spudvision Tak and cut those side burns.
 Udvarnoky
10-02-2004, 8:41 PM
Also pray that Purcell really does plan on another compilation sometime this century. In the meantime buy those kickass signed posters.
 StonerDaveN'Max
10-02-2004, 9:26 PM
Originally posted by flint paper
Way to get off the prozac dave. It's about time. Since I've picked up my old habits that I ditched for stupid reasons, and gotten used to forums, I could give a **** less about this and that. Im not sure what my point is, but yeah.
 SyntheticGerbil
10-04-2004, 9:49 PM
You guys are ****ing dumb. Why the **** would Steve Purcell team up with Slave Labor Graphics? He's like a fifty year old man! You think he has time to waste with that company full of adolescent goth ****s. God ****ing damn I hate Slave Labor. They just cater over and over with the same ruthless bull**** derivatives of Johnny the Homocidal Maniac because dumb kids who shop at Hot Topic think just because a comic is on an indie label and has some ****ing pansy character on the front with deep black recessed eyeballs, then its cool. There's no substance. **** comics.

Also I wish Evan Dorkin had nothing to do with Slave Labor.
 KTCoope
10-17-2004, 4:39 AM
ffff, each to their own, mate, calm down. Just because it's not you, doesn't mean it's completely shallow, and although there are a tonne of teenbopper goth kiddies that love up SLG, doesn't mean that that's all they're about. Yeah, it's not high reading to change your outlook on life or anything, but I wouldn't put Sam and Max in that category either. Sam and Max is very well done, clever and original (or was when it came out) but it's still pretty much a twisted gag strip.
So it would fit kinda well in a lineup of, well, twisted gag strips.

I said SLG not becuase of the 'OMG NNY IS SO COOL ROFFLE' bollocks, but becuase of the comics I've seen on the stands recently, the only ones that it would fit with seem to be Oni, possibly Dark Horse and SLG, and on the stuff I've sampled from each company, SLG was the one that felt most likely to be into the kind of humour in Sam and Max. Yes, there are some of the even more indy ones, but I was thinking of ones that are immediately known.

Granted, I would rather have Darkhorse have it, but it doesn't seem the kind of book for them so much to me. Likewise with Oni.
 sheaday6
10-17-2004, 8:21 AM
 StonerDaveN'Max
10-17-2004, 8:02 PM
Originally posted by SyntheticGerbil
You guys are ****ing dumb. Why the **** would Steve Purcell team up with Slave Labor Graphics? He's like a fifty year old man! You think he has time to waste with that company full of adolescent goth ****s. God ****ing damn I hate Slave Labor. They just cater over and over with the same ruthless bull**** derivatives of Johnny the Homocidal Maniac because dumb kids who shop at Hot Topic think just because a comic is on an indie label and has some ****ing pansy character on the front with deep black recessed eyeballs, then its cool. There's no substance. **** comics.

Also I wish Evan Dorkin had nothing to do with Slave Labor. Stereotyping is for Dip****s, not that goths don't flock to the label like fists to a woman who doesn't know when to shut up. Everything else you said was pretty dead on. Kudos.

Oh yeah, and if I bet if I used long droned out sentences laced with high-brow words, I could start a cult full of goths, and later lead them to suicide, which they want to do so sorely, but for some reason never succumb to. Who want's to take me up on this bet?
 SyntheticGerbil
10-17-2004, 10:20 PM
I'll stereotype whoever the **** asks for it, you dumb **** juggalo.
 StonerDaveN'Max
10-18-2004, 7:23 PM
Whoa, don't go throwing around that word. Can't stand the catch phrase throwing wanna-be thugs. Why the hell would I want a label anyway.

Either way, **** a stereotype.
Page: 1 of 1