Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Lucas Retiring

Page: 1 of 2
 RoxStar
09-14-2004, 6:18 PM
I think Lucas may be retiring. The reasons? THX-1138, Star Wars, and Indiana Jones are all have special editions on DVD. I think lucas is just gonna chill at the ranch after hes done with Episode III. You thoughts?
 Mike Windu
09-14-2004, 6:41 PM
*praises the Lord*

YES!

:) Unless he has some original idea... that you know... doesn't suck... >.>
 Revlt Coranier
09-14-2004, 7:43 PM
I hope you're wrong. If he is though, I think I may go off in a corner and cry.
 Sivy
09-15-2004, 1:25 AM
well lucasfilm has confirmed that they will be a star wars T.V show. so he'll probably be executive producer or something on that. he may retire from directing, but not film-making.
 Sabretooth
09-15-2004, 2:10 AM
Nah, he'll be making Episodes VII-IX

Awaits, quietly giggling, what the people are gonna say about this...
 Evil Dark Jedi
09-15-2004, 2:17 AM
Originally posted by Sabretooth
Nah, he'll be making Episodes VII-IX

I agree he should. Then it go more into depth about Luke and Han and Leia and my fav Chewie.
 Lynk Former
09-15-2004, 2:47 AM
Originally posted by Evil Dark Jedi
I agree he should. Then it go more into depth about Luke and Han and Leia and my fav Chewie.

and which bull**** actors are they gonna get to play them?
 Alegis
09-15-2004, 3:27 AM
CG!
:p imagine starwars in full 3D...bah!

well i dont think he'll be active in the sw series... he's done his job :) and he did it well.
 SkinWalker
09-15-2004, 8:03 AM
Originally posted by Lynk Former
and which bull**** actors are they gonna get to play them?

It depends, I suppose, on how much time he puts between E6 and E7. Hamil, Fisher, and Ford are still alive. (Though perhaps barely).

Still, its not too drastic to put some capable actors on the screen in their places. Bond movies did it with mixed success.

After seeing the action he was able to portray in the Bourne flicks and the character depth he could reach in Good Will Hunting, Matt Damien might be an interesting Skywalker.

Viggo Mortensen's performance in Hidalgo proves he can be a bit of a scoundral, and everyone loved his performance as Aragon in LoTR.

And I've always wanted to see Ellen DeGeneres as Princess Leia.

I'm j/k. I actually think Catherine Zeta-Jones would be a fine Leia. Fine in every sense of the word.
 rut-wa jodar
09-15-2004, 8:54 AM
I heard an interview with mark hamill which he spoke about George wanted to originally to 12 episodes.

Originally posted by Siv
well lucasfilm has confirmed that they will be a star wars T.V show. so he'll probably be executive producer or something on that. he may retire from directing, but not film-making.

I hope the TV series is based around KOTOR or the EU.
 Jaden Malip
09-15-2004, 9:55 AM
Originally posted by SkinWalker

Fine in every sense of the word.

Damn right:D
 Neon
09-15-2004, 10:54 AM
Today a friend of me sayd that he would make Episode 7 and 8 maybe, but I don't really believe him :rolleyes:
 Prime
09-15-2004, 12:26 PM
and which bull**** actors are they gonna get to play them? How about they just take cast from MXC? (http://www.geocities.com/mxc_vic_romano/index.html)

They could have

http://www.geocities.com/mxc_vic_romano/kenny.jpg)

Kenny Blankenship as the smartmouthed hero.

http://www.geocities.com/mxc_vic_romano/vic.jpg)

Vic Romano as the straight-faced sidekick.

http://www.geocities.com/mxc_vic_romano/guy.jpg)

Guy Le Douche as the third wheel

http://www.geocities.com/mxc_vic_romano/captain.jpg)

Captain Tenneal a.k.a. The Skipper as the evil supervillian.

and

http://www.geocities.com/mxc_vic_romano/herby1.jpg)

Herby the Steamy Pile as the criminal mob boss.

I think you will agree that the movies I would make would be kick ass.

"Indeed!"
 JDKnite188
09-15-2004, 1:52 PM
Besides for managing his companies, he probably won't make another big movie. As people said, he will stick to that TV series.
 Revlt Coranier
09-15-2004, 4:22 PM
They could use Hamill, Fisher, and Ford if they did it around the time of the NJO series.
 Lynk Former
09-15-2004, 9:07 PM
I would kill you all in an orgy of blood and violence if they even think about going for NJO...
 Revlt Coranier
09-15-2004, 9:10 PM
Would you like me to mail you some of the NJO books, and perhaps an NJO hat or t-shirt? Your love of the series shows greatly, TK.

Seriously, why do people hate the NJO so much? I think they're cool.

I guess you're not up to my level of maturity. *sigh*:rolleyes:
 ET Warrior
09-15-2004, 9:15 PM
Originally posted by Revlt Coranier
Seriously, why do people hate the NJO so much?

Because they are crappy stories :dozey:

But lets not open that can of worms in this thread.

Point being, if Lucas retires he damn well better release the ORIGINAL trilogy on DVD before he does, lest I plot his death.
 Lynk Former
09-15-2004, 9:41 PM
Originally posted by Revlt Coranier
I guess you're not up to my level of maturity. *sigh*:rolleyes:

You liking something and someone else not like the same thing you like doesn't make you more mature.

But anywayz, what about Indy IV?
 Sabretooth
09-16-2004, 1:38 AM
*grins at his own post* :D :D :D :D

But anywayz, what about Indy IV?

"Now THAT is a good idea!" -Sabretooth
 Sam Fisher
09-16-2004, 6:13 AM
I really don't mind Lucas retiring.... he already screwed the OT DVD up....
 Prime
09-16-2004, 8:12 AM
I would kill you all in an orgy of blood and violence if they even think about going for NJO... Hugs Lynk
 RoxStar
09-16-2004, 1:31 PM
Originally posted by Sam Fisher
I really don't mind Lucas retiring.... he already screwed the OT DVD up....

You have the DVD?
 Mike Windu
09-16-2004, 5:33 PM
He doesn't, but for those that actually want the original original, it's already screwed up.

Damned...bastards...
 Sam Fisher
09-16-2004, 5:48 PM
No, I don't have the DVD, but I was looking at the changes that were made... like repaceing the Anakin ghost with that little fu**tard...

I still don't get it.
 Vader523
09-16-2004, 6:00 PM
Originally posted by Sam Fisher
No, I don't have the DVD, but I was looking at the changes that were made... like repaceing the Anakin ghost with that little fu**tard...

I still don't get it.

The Anakin shown in the original episode never existed. Anakin died in Episode III as a young man. Then Darth Vader was born. Behind the mask, it has always been a mangled, half-machine, half-human thing. Therefore, the man in Return of the Jedi never would have existed. Hope that helps.
 Sam Fisher
09-16-2004, 6:14 PM
Yes, I knew that. I was talking of them replaceing Anakin's ghost with Hayden Christensen on the DVD, which really pisses me off.
 FpS_Vandal
09-20-2004, 9:21 AM
And why? Because it makes the series more connected, and makes more sence?

I know! Let's let 20 years go by, get access to new, exiting technology and not use it! I'd be dissapointed in Lucas if the DVDs didn't offer some improvments like that.

Now, if I pop the DVD in and there are added musical numbers or something....

I'd be inclined to agree with you.
 Hiroki
09-22-2004, 10:07 PM
Maybe because we do not wish to see that little bratty ****head in the movies we grew up with? :)
 FpS_Vandal
09-23-2004, 8:33 AM
lol you guys are so freaking close minded, stubborn, childish and lame.

I was 5 years old when I saw A New Hope. To this day the trilogy has all three of my favorite movies of all time (Empire's the best!)

Was ep.1 a dissapointment? yeah. But if it were not part of the franchise I would have really liked it. Ep.2 was much better, really tied alot of the series together.

I'm not upset about using items from ep1/2 in the older films, because I love the franchise as a whole. I've seen the films in their original form, and own all three on VHS. The DVD version is newer, and thus newer things are not bad.

Stop crying about the goddamn movies being changed. We aren't 5 years old anymore, life goes on.

And as far as that bratty little ****er goes....I had my doubts but he does the light/dark thing very well. Quite what I expected from a young Anakin Skywalker....perhaps you would have preffered if they magically made mark hammill 40 years younger and play that part too?
 Decepticon
09-23-2004, 9:01 AM
it is more the fact that there is no archive of the original movies availble on a high quality dvd to compare it to the new.
imo the rawness of the first movies is what made them so good, and all the special effects in what make up episodes 1 and 2 are what brought there downfall. they r too perfect, and the acting is less emotional. they coudlve easily had an original theatrical release with audio commentary on top of it.
the audio commentary on the special edition versions would be about how they enhanced everything, and in the theatrical version they should have the audio which is currently being used on the dvd which just came out. im not sure if youve watched the new dvds, but there was alot of new added scenes just rolling passed the screen while the audio people were crapping on how the used old stuff to make the effects. it just didnt match.
 ET Warrior
09-23-2004, 9:07 AM
Originally posted by FpS_Vandal
I'm not upset about using items from ep1/2 in the older films, because I love the franchise as a whole. I've seen the films in their original form, and own all three on VHS. The DVD version is newer, and thus newer things are not bad.

I'm going to say sure, if GL wanted newer things in his movies then that' shis perogative. They are his. But WE are the people who MADE him so rich, and it is the ORIGINAL movies that are the reason we are who we are. GL OWES it to us to give us the option of seeing our original movies on a high quality format.
 woodspider
09-23-2004, 9:17 AM
any one have more info on episodes 7 8 9? i would love to see 3 more Star wars.
 Prime
09-23-2004, 9:30 AM
Changes or no, I love the OT. :)
 pat_thetic
09-23-2004, 11:55 AM
He's not that old... I doubt he will quit all together, I'm sure he will produce movies or something.
 Falcon Eyed
09-23-2004, 7:28 PM
Is there anyone else out there that thinks a TV show is just wrong?
 FpS_Vandal
09-23-2004, 7:32 PM
I agree the scene with Jabba looks really strange, and Han not firing first really is not consistant with his charecter, but I appreciate the movies being freshened up for DVD none the less.
 [RNGD]Tyrant
09-23-2004, 7:48 PM
Lucas cant retire until he comes out with the special Directors Cut of Howard the Duck

;)
 Decepticon
09-23-2004, 7:55 PM
if done right, a starwars tv show would be awesome. though it would have to be 20 times the budget of a startrek episode and good actors will help, but it better be written and produced by lucas or it wll probably suck balls.
 ENGLISHFELLOW
09-24-2004, 10:24 AM
Lucas should just stop after number 3. I cant bear to see yet another hollow computer generated disaster with no soul. MR LUCAS! ACTORS AND PUPPETS ARE FAR SUPERIOR TO THAT COMPUTER GENERATED CRAPFEST OF EPISODES 1&2.

*sorry ranting is in my nature*
 Galahad KoA
09-24-2004, 7:19 PM
Lucas says hes too old to do Episodes 7-9, but I think most feel the legacy needs to be completed. It is no longer the end of things after Episode VI because we all know there is still more, especially if you've read any of the books that chronicle events after Episode VI.

Many of the future Star Wars books have the original characters in their 40's or older so to me the same actors would play the same characters in episodes 7-9. Those three episodes are the future of things farther down the road, not five years from the end of episode six. What has happened to everyone after 30 years and what do they do when they find ghosts from the past returning to make the final circle complete.

Galahad
Knights of the Alliance
www.allianceknights.net)
 Decepticon
09-24-2004, 8:34 PM
that would be too cool for school! well i guess if it doesnt happen in our lifetimes, maybe they can clone the original actors, cause i think it will take george lucas dieing of some sorts before we see 7 to 9.
 thejeditraitor
09-25-2004, 1:49 AM
star wars is the story of anakin skywalker.
after ep 6 it's over.
 ET Warrior
09-25-2004, 8:42 AM
Originally posted by thejeditraitor
star wars is the story of anakin skywalker.
after ep 6 it's over.

Three points to the winner :)
 FpS_Vandal
09-25-2004, 9:18 AM
Incorrect. The saga follows the story of Anakin Skywalker and his SON Luke. There are 3 trilogies. 123, 456, 789.

789 will likley never be made.

^^^ This is the general consencus, unless you can provide several links to credible sources to back your argument, I see no reason to beleive otherwise.
 Galahad KoA
09-25-2004, 10:43 AM
"star wars is the story of anakin skywalker.
after ep 6 it's over. ?

Thats true only for those that have never read any of the books taking place after episode six. The Timothy Zahn series taking place not long after the end of episode six is pretty good and it only goes on from there. Plus, a Star Wars TV series might take place after episode six too.

Galahad
Knights of the Alliance
www.allianceknights.net)
 Niteshift
09-25-2004, 1:50 PM
Originally posted by ET Warrior

Point being, if Lucas retires he damn well better release the ORIGINAL trilogy on DVD before he does, lest I plot his death.

I dont think the original trilogy will ever see the light of day again. EVER
 ET Warrior
09-25-2004, 4:37 PM
Originally posted by FpS_Vandal
^^^ This is the general consencus, unless you can provide several links to credible sources to back your argument, I see no reason to beleive otherwise.

Credible Source'd (http://www.starwars.com/community/askjc/steve/askjc20001106.html)
 thejeditraitor
09-25-2004, 7:33 PM
thanks for the truth.
it's so hard to get through to people.
 THE BADGER:
09-26-2004, 8:34 PM
Well if it was me I would retire. He has made his mark, and changed film making for the better. And he's in his 50's now. If he started Ep. 7,8,9. He would be in his mid 60's. If it was me I would retire to spend time with my family. He has made his mark and money. I would regret not seeing the saga come to a real close, but I would understand him retiring.

P.S. Even if he does retire, his children and friends can take over.
Maybe their will be Ep. 7,8,9. No telling where Star Wars will go.
Page: 1 of 2