Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

wireless network adaptors

Page: 1 of 1
 Thomgor
08-17-2004, 12:22 AM
I want to purchase a PSP when it comes out, early 2005, and I was wondering... how does wireless internet work?

Do I have to purchase a wireless internet provider? Do I just run it off my DSL line? If that was true, how could I game with people from all across the country? Or saying that you could play online at the Dentist, when I couldn't play online -- because the XXX amount of space that I could bring my PSP is out of range.

HHHEEEELLLLPPPP!:eek:
 Virtuosis
08-17-2004, 12:26 AM
The wireless internet I use basically goes like this. I have a land line from my cable provider that goes into the internet box, it goes through a router, to hook up my ps2, and my two computers that are next to eachother. Than i have a cord running to the hub of my wireless internet, that broadcasts a signal that goes only so far, which in this case goes across the street to my neighbors. You need a wireless internet card for the computer to accept the signal. I'm not too sure how the PSP works with this but thats how it works for my 5 computers and PS2.
 Jed
08-17-2004, 12:38 AM
Now last I heard, the PSP is going to have Wi-Fi built in, which means it will need a wireless network in order to get your fragging on in the online world.

Wireless networks are normally set up like this:

-- Your DSL/Cable modem would plug into a Wireless Router.
-- Each device that connects to the router would need an Access Point or a wireless card (In this case, the Sony PSP has one built in).

In essence, a wireless network has an optimum range of around a 150 ft. radius.

There are places on the 'net that do a better job of explaining, I'd suggest googling it...
 Astrotoy7
08-30-2004, 3:41 AM
Originally posted by Jed
...In essence, a wireless network has an optimum range of around a 150 ft. radius.

There are places on the 'net that do a better job of explaining, I'd suggest googling it...

thats true for VPNs but I think what the chappy is getting at is the WiFi/bluetooth stuff, where as long as you are in a 'hotspot' you may be able access it when you are away from home and your own router :D eg.common hotspots, apart from business centres are universities :D

Yeah, google, better yet, track down a PSP discussion forum, there'll always be some dude that'll knock your sox off with specs and info about the PSPs capabilities.....

mtfbwya
 JediJohn
09-02-2004, 6:49 AM
do wireless network adaptor exist for PS2 and if they do can someone tell if they are good
 Alegis
09-02-2004, 6:53 AM
never compare wireless internet with wired at the momenty, has a lot of leaks etc, and not reliable at all. I'm waiting a few years before it gets stable
 JediJohn
09-02-2004, 6:55 AM
thanks, i need one though for online cos my parents wont let me run a cable through
 MUSA91CM
09-02-2004, 4:34 PM
I read somewhere that a wireless adapter is coming out for PS2, but not until around Christmas in the U.S.
 JediJohn
09-02-2004, 11:16 PM
thats ok cos my christmas money is gonna pay for it
Page: 1 of 1