Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

2da File Problems

Page: 1 of 1
 Bobo
08-23-2004, 6:30 PM
ok i tried reading to see how i can get like 10 appearance.2da files into the game without one of them overriding the other. heh impossible! it was like a 1 year old baby trying to read cursive writing. if someone can help me understand this better id appriciate it. thanks for your help.

im not really good at these files and stuff, more of a player not a modder :D
 Achilles
08-23-2004, 7:02 PM
Originally posted by Master Bobo
ok i tried reading to see how i can get like 10 appearance.2da files into the game without one of them overriding the other. heh impossible! it was like a 1 year old baby trying to read cursive writing. if someone can help me understand this better id appriciate it. thanks for your help.

im not really good at these files and stuff, more of a player not a modder :D

Each character in the game has an appearance associated with it. The attrributes of each appearance is stored in a 2-dimensional array (2da). The line that contains information for a specific character is then stored in that character's utc file (example: Bastila is line 4).

If you have 10 mods with 10 different appearance files, you can merge them by opening one, the copying each of the unique lines in the others into the primary table. You will then have to go in to each of the mods and change the Appearance entry to reflect the changes made in the Appearance.2da file.

I hope this helps.
 Bobo
08-23-2004, 8:36 PM
ok i am very stupid when it comes to this, i have 4 appearance files i need to edit (thought 10, but naw lol) i am very confused on merging them

the mods that these appearance files belong to are

Anakin.zip
Bandon_man.zip
Jedi Canderous.zip
Yuthura.zip

if there is a preset Appearance file for this, id love to know if there is one. if anyone knows how to merge them, it would be great. thx :D
 SConrad
08-23-2004, 9:33 PM
Eventually, these mods could be installed using KISS, and the problem is solved.
 tk102
08-23-2004, 9:43 PM
Originally posted by Master Bobo:
if there is a preset Appearance file for this, id love to know if there is one. if anyone knows how to merge them, it would be great. thxSo this is more of a request for others to merge the .2da files... and therefore belongs in the request thread.
 Achilles
08-23-2004, 10:02 PM
ok i am very stupid when it comes to this, i have 4 appearance files i need to edit (thought 10, but naw lol) i am very confused on merging them

the mods that these appearance files belong to are

Anakin.zip
Bandon_man.zip
Jedi Canderous.zip
Yuthura.zip

if there is a preset Appearance file for this, id love to know if there is one. if anyone knows how to merge them, it would be great. thx :D

I just gave you instructions on how to merge them :D

Not sure what is confusing: You take a line from one and you copy it into the other. Please let me know where I am losing you so that I can be more specific :)
 Bobo
08-23-2004, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Achilles
If you have 10 mods with 10 different appearance files, you can merge them by opening one, the copying each of the unique lines in the others into the primary table(<--- And im lost lol) You will then have to go in to each of the mods and change the Appearance entry to reflect the changes made in the Appearance.2da file.

I hope this helps. [/B]

ok what i am lost about is copying the files then changing every single mod. ok what? lol i dont understand going into each of the mods and chaing the appearance entry to reflect the changes made in the Appearance.2da file

i hope this is enuf info :)

--Bobo
 Achilles
08-23-2004, 10:27 PM
Ok, I'll use the example from my previous message.

If you look in Appearance.2da, you'll see that Bastila is line 4. If you open Bastila's utc file, you'll see that her Appearance is set to 4. If we were to change it to 5, 50, or 5,000 in Appearance.2da, we would have to go into to utc file and a mirror the change there as well.

So, again, if you have 10 mods with their own Appearance.2da file, the odds are that they've all used line 509 (the default file goes to 508, so they used the next available number).

You would then choose one of the files and then add lines 510-519 (for your other 9 mods). You go to one mod and copy all the info from line 509 into 510 on your "new" Appearance.2da file. Now, you open the utc file for that mod and change 509 to 510, save and close.

Now you go to the next mod. You copy line 509 into line 511 of your "new" Appearance.2da file, then open the utc, change the appearance to 511, and so on.

Is this more clear? Please let me know.

Thanks!

EDIT: If you don't make the changes in the utc file, all of your mods will look like whatever character you have listed in line 509. So if 509 is a Jawa, all your mod characters will look like Jawas.
 Caerid11
08-24-2004, 12:29 AM
I'm having the same problem...I installed the Holowan Plug-In, got through half of Taris and waited for your LS Jedi mod to come out Achilles. I installed just the Mendah files (overwriting the original appearance.2da), loaded up my game, and the screen was completely screwed up. I switched my character to Carth and could see everything fine...except my main character...who was invisible.

I know what the problem is, I understand your point on how to fix it...but could you please tell me what program you would use to accomplish this? I've seen all sorts of .2da extractors etc., I figure you'd know what's easiest to use for the modding-impaired.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to using the new Jedi.
 Darth333
08-24-2004, 12:39 AM
I've pointed you at some links in the "Guide for the Newbie" sticky under the "conflicts" and "getting started" sections. PLease read the stickies before and if there is anything you don't understand, then post your questions, we will be glad to answer them.
 Achilles
08-24-2004, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by Caerid11
I know what the problem is, I understand your point on how to fix it...but could you please tell me what program you would use to accomplish this? I've seen all sorts of .2da extractors etc., I figure you'd know what's easiest to use for the modding-impaired.

Open KT
Click on File
Select Open 2da file editor
In 2da file editor, click on File
Select Load 2da v2.b File
Select the files you're looking for and go to work :D

EDIT: Oops! Or just do what Darth333 said :D
 Bobo
08-24-2004, 1:34 PM
ok i did what u said, but i messed something up

oh no, lol all the appearances Flipped! i got Hutt Jedi now! i mean, this is, a disaster! rancors appear as naked women and i look like a Czerka Officer, and all my party members look like Pigs1 (cept for BAstila and Carth who are now Duros)

yea its funny to listen to naked women talk in beeps and a pig speaking like mission but i did something wrong! eep! (btw malak is a gizka, kind of like that but all the gizka in my ship look like Shasa, that stoaway)

eep!
 Achilles
08-24-2004, 3:08 PM
ok i did what u said, but i messed something up

oh no, lol all the appearances Flipped! i got Hutt Jedi now! i mean, this is, a disaster! rancors appear as naked women and i look like a Czerka Officer, and all my party members look like Pigs1 (cept for BAstila and Carth who are now Duros)

yea its funny to listen to naked women talk in beeps and a pig speaking like mission but i did something wrong! eep! (btw malak is a gizka, kind of like that but all the gizka in my ship look like Shasa, that stoaway)

eep!
Sounds like quite a mess :D

Two things that I forgot to mention before:

1) It generally a good idea to make a back up of a 2da file before editting it and
2) the options under Tools are your friend :)
 Darth333
08-24-2004, 3:24 PM
Originally posted by Achilles
Sounds like quite a mess :D
Yeah but such a mess is impossible to do...and you cannot edit sounds with appearance.2da... :rolleyes:

Master Bobo, if you are having problems editing .2da files and if you want us to be able to help you, why don't you explain what is happening exactly.

You should start by comparing the original.2da with the modified .2da for each mod to see what was change before editing anything. Begin by verifying if lines have been added to the .2da file. If yes, simply add a line to the other .2da files.
 StoneDragon
12-18-2004, 3:34 PM
Yep, I revive this thing cause I dont want to make another one considering there is one here.

I'm having problem too.

I have mod.s that have 2da's on them.

The list:
Redhawkeitempack1b (Appearance and upcrystal problem)
Redhawkeboostrpack1 (Upcrystal prolem)
Enhancedsithlightsaber
(Upcrystal problem also)
Lightsaber 6 pack 1.2 by T7
(Upcrystal problem)
and Mask plus by T7
(Appearance.2da problem)

(I don't know what to to put in the KT tool like this label race modela texa envmap
"509 n_revan n_revan n_revan N_DarthRevan05 CM_MANUN" That is actually from svosh mod Revans robe. And what will I put in the upcrstal.2da?)

Sorry if I act a little ignorant but Im confused.

And help will be appreciated.

Come on, people. I really need help.:(
 Darkkender
12-19-2004, 7:37 AM
Originally posted by StoneDragon
I have mod.s that have 2da's on them.

The list:
Redhawkeitempack1b (Appearance and upcrystal problem)
Redhawkeboostrpack1 (Upcrystal prolem)
Enhancedsithlightsaber
(Upcrystal problem also)
Lightsaber 6 pack 1.2 by T7
(Upcrystal problem)
and Mask plus by T7
(Appearance.2da problem)

Ok as down and dirty as I can get it without being too technical.

1st: open KOTOR Tool;

2nd: open the 2da editor;

2a: load your 1st 2da file from one of the mods into this editor;
(we are going to make this one our base to merge all of
them into.)

3rd: open a 2nd 2da editor w/ KOTOR Tool;

3a: load your 2nd 2da file of the same type as the 1st (eg. if the
1st is upcrystals then your 2nd needs to be upcrystals)

4th: compare the information in the 2 2da files and find the lines
that don't match as this will be where you start at.
(eg. if you look through upcrystals.2da and you get down to
row 10 and the info is not the same you will start with this
data.)

5th: switch to your 2nd 2da file and cell by cell copy each cell
using copy/paste to the next row that is empty in your 1st
2da file. (eg. 2nd 2da has 13 rows and 1st 2da has 16 rows.
The last 4 rows in the 2nd 2da do not match the same
rows in the 1st 2da. Copy the first of these last 4 row 10
to row 17 in your 1st 2da file. Continue this process for
each row.)

6th: make side notes like on a notepad of which 2da file you
changed and which mod it was from this is important. also
make a note of which mods 2da file you added into this one.
(eg. Redhawkeboostrpack1 is your 1st base changed 2da &
Lightsaber 6 pack 1.2 by T7 is the one you copied into here.)

7th: You will now NEED to open a gff editor outside of KOTOR Tool.
each gff file for your changed mod will need to be checked
and probably changed. (A gff file would be a utc, uti, utm &
pretty much any other file thats 3 digit ext start with u for
KOTOR.)

8th: At this point I would use KOTOR tool to extract a gff file of
the same type as the ones I will be editing. The reason for
this is to help you figure out which cell in the gff file needs to
be changed. (eg. if I changed upcrystals.2da I will need to
make changes to a uti file this would be an item file. so in
KOTOR tool I would go into the item templates bif and
extract an item for best results if you are changing a
lightsaber gff file you may want to extract another baseline
lightsaber gff file for a good comparison.)

9th: compare your gff files you will probably at this point have too
have 2 gff editors open seperatley one is your baseline gff
file the other will be the one you intend to change. it may
be best to open 3 gff editors one is the baseline, one is a gff
file from your 1st mods folder and one from your 2nd mods
folder this way you will likely find fields of data that will start
to corresponde with the original 2da files. (eg. open your
baseline lightsaber uti file, then open a lightsaber uti file
from Redhawkeboostrpack1, then open a lightsaber uti file
from Lightsaber 6 pack 1.2 by T7. Now here is where
having notes on paper is handy because then you should
know which rows you changed in your upcrystals.2da if you
had copied rows 10-13 in our above example too the new
file becoming rows 17-20 then there should be a field that
will correspond to either 10, 11, 12, or 13 in the uti file for
Lightsaber 6 pack 1.2 by T7. you then change that field in
the gff file from the old number to the new number in the
merged 2da file. if the old line was 10 change it to 17, if it
was 11 change to 18, etc.)

10th: repeat above 2 steps for all gff files of your 2 mods.

11th: repeat any of the 2da editing steps as necessary for each
of the mods you intend to merge.

Untill you get the hang of 2da editing I would continue to do each one at a time. This method yields best result because then you have less things to try to fix later.

Some Of You May Ask; "WHY CAN'T I USE KOTOR TOOL TO CHANGE THE GFF FILES!"

Because my young apprentices the method in which Fred Tetra wrote KOTOR tool it makes direct calls to the original 2da files of the game and the data contained within each of the original fields and due to this structure cannot go outside of the original fields defined within the game. Any time you attempt to open a gff file that makes a call out side of the original fields defined in a coresponding 2da file it will pop up a error that you need to choose continue in order to keep running KOTOR tool. A good example would be if you change an upcrystals.2da file from using 9 fields to using 12 fields and your gff file calls lines 10, 11, or 12 it will produce the error. THIS is why we must make changes with an outside gff editor that is not a part of KOTOR tool.
 StoneDragon
12-27-2004, 8:54 AM
Thanks for the help!
Wait. How do I copy/paste the row to another?
Page: 1 of 1