Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Released: Blaster Balance Pack

Page: 1 of 1
 beancounter
08-23-2004, 10:26 AM
I just released my first public mod to pcgamemods. You can get download here:

http://www.pcgamemods.com/6906/)

It is a small mod that makes some pretty big changes to the game that makes it MUCH more enjoyable for your blaster using characters.

Here is the readme.

Balance Pack - Blasters/NPC's v 1.00
BY: Beancounter

I. Overview
This mod increases the usefulness of blasters and non-jedi characters. I thought it was very strange that blasters in KOTOR were so underpowered when compared to melee weapons, and I hardly ever used them. The same goes for the non-jedi party members, they could never match the power of a Jedi character and they spent most of their time sitting in the Ebon Hawk.

This mod contains three basic changes that really gives blaster using characters a whole lot more firepower. First, I increased the base damage caused by blasters to be more in line with D20 Star Wars rules. Except in a few cases I doubled the damage range of blaster weapons. Second, I fixed the bug that limited the number of shots a blaster could make in a turn, even when using the feats Power Blast and Sniper Shot. Now, if you have a dual welding character using the Power Blast Feat he will make two attacks, instead of one and if you are using Master Speed you will make four attacks! The third addition will give your non-jedi characters a serious boost in power. I have created two new armbands and two new shield packs that will boost the number of attacks a character can make based on their level. Characters will gain an additional attack at level 9 and another attack at level 15. The armbands are for human characters and the shield packs are for Droids. After all, what is the point of increasing the number of shots a blaster can make if your non-jedi characters can never get multiple attacks.

II. Changes

baseitems.2da
Here is a listing of the changes to blasters damage range:
Weapon Damage Range
Blaster Pistol 2-12
Heavy Blaster 2-16
Hold Out Blaster 2-10
Ion Blaster 2-10
Disrupter Pistol 2-10
Sonic Pistol 2-10
Blaster Rifle 2-16
Bowcaster 1-15
Carbine Blaster 2-16
Disrupter Rifle 2-14
Sonic Rifle 2-14
Repeating Blaster 2-18
Heavy Repeating Blaster 4-20

If you do not like the above changes, you do not need to install this 2da. You will still get the increased blaster attacks and the new items.

weapondischarges.2da
This 2da file controls the number of shots a ranged weapon and feat can make. Here is a listing of the row numbers and the corresponding weapon/feat.

Row Weapon/Feat Shots Old Shots New
217 Pistol Regular 2 4
219 Pistol Sniper Shot 1 4
362 Pistol Power Blast 1 4
363 DBL Pistol Power Blast 1 4
233 DBL Pistol Sniper Shot 2 4
241 Rifle Sniper Shot 1 4
364 Rifle Power Blast 1 4
365 Hvy Weapons Power Blast 1 4
354 Hvy Weapons Sniper Shot 2 4

Rows that begin with '3_' are for Droids.
Changing the shots field does not give new attacks, but it will allow your character to make extra attacks while under the influence of Force Speed or one of my new items below.

spells.2da
Added two new spells, row numbers 132 and 133 for use by the items below.

New Items
g_i_bio020 - Baragwin Bio Stim
g_i_bio021 - Advanced Baragwin Bio Stim
g_i_drdenergy020 - Baragwin Energy Upgrade
g_i_drdenergy021 - Advanced Baragwin Energy Upgrade

Once activated, the above items will give the user extra attacks depending upon their level. Level 9 characters will make two attacks a round and Level 15 characters will be able to make three attacks a round. The Baragwin Bio Stim and Baragwin Energy Upgrade have a duration of 120 seconds. They both can be purchased at Dantoine in the Courtyard from the Rodian merchant. The advanced versions have a PERMANENT duration. The only way to remove the effect is to use the regular version, which will replace the permanent effect with a temporary one. Special note, you will need to use the advanced packs once at level nine and again at level fifteen. If your character is already over level fifteen you will only need to use the pack once. The advanced versions can not be found in game, you must use the giveitem cheat to get them.

III. Sample Impact
Here are is a sample breakdown of this Mods effects on one of the best blaster using NPC's: Carth. All calculations are based on Carth being level 15 using dual Mandoralin Heavy Pistols.

Master Power Blast Feat:
Premod, Carth would only get one attack with this combination. His damage range would be a pathetic 16 to 23. Postmod Carth would make four attacks with a damage range of 17 to 31 per attack or 68 to 124 if each attack hit.

Master Flurry Feat:
Premod Carth would get three attacks per round with a damage of 6 to 13 per attack or 18 to 39 if all attacks hit. Postmod Carth would get five attacks with a damage range of 7 to 21 per attack or 35 to 105 if each attack hit.

As you can see from the above, this mod really scales up the firepower of blaster weapons.

IV. Installation
Just copy all of the files into your override directory. This mod WILL conflict with any mod that changes the spells.2da. However it is pretty easy to resolve the conflicts. Check out the Holowan Laboratories at www.lucasforums.com).

V. Credits
This project would not have been possible without the hard work of the modders at Holowan Laboratories who created the tools and tutorials I used to make it.

VI. Usage
Feel free to use any part of this mod in your own work. Asking ahead is not necessary. Giving credit is not necessary, although it would be nice.
 Darth333
08-23-2004, 10:43 AM
Good work Beancounter! I will surely use this mod with the new game I just started (If only I can find the time to play :rolleyes: )

Good to have someone who really knows scripting here :) ...programmer?

BTW, your mod will conflict with the All-in-one force powers package. If you want to release a compatible spells.2da, feel free to use the one included in my package.
 beancounter
08-23-2004, 11:06 AM
Thanks Darth333.

Yes, I am a programmer, but I am still pretty new to modding Kotor. :)

I will go ahead and make a compatiable spells.2da and re-release this mod.
 Glamador
08-23-2004, 11:18 AM
this mod is amazing...*dloads*
 FiEND_138
08-23-2004, 11:22 AM
This sounds really great. Give it a DL when I get off work. Finally something that makes a gun worth using. Thanx for sharin. By the looks of it, this won't be a premature Good Work!!! :thumbsup:
 Darth333
08-23-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by beancounter
Thanks Darth333.

Yes, I am a programmer, but I am still pretty new to modding Kotor. :)

I will go ahead and make a compatiable spells.2da and re-release this mod.
That script was too clean to have been made by a programming noob like me ;)

I wouldn't remove the old spells.2da but include a second one in the package: somepeople may not want to use the All-in-one force power mod and it will be annoying for them to see the blank icons in the force powers selection panel.
 shosey
08-23-2004, 1:49 PM
nice work beancounter, and welcome to the scene!
 Achilles
08-23-2004, 4:44 PM
Wow, that's pretty impressive! Congratulations on your first mod. Can't wait to see what's next :D
 beancounter
08-23-2004, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone:)

Darth333, I would hardly consider you a programming noob. Modifying games is what got me started in on the programming career track. Who knows maybe you will decide to have a career change and become a programmer ;) That's what I did, started as an accountant and switched to programming after a couple of years.

Anyways, I should have the modified spells.2da posted either tonight or tomorrow.
 RedHawke
08-24-2004, 12:16 AM
Very nice mod beancounter, I like it, keep up the good work! :D
 Wang Lightning
08-24-2004, 5:03 AM
This looks pretty cool. Is anyome else having trouble with PCGameMods?
 jedi_5002
08-24-2004, 6:24 AM
Yes. Give it time.

Yoda: The boy has no patience.

Ghost of Obi-Wan "Ben" Kenobi: He will learn patience.

:fett:
 RedHawke
08-24-2004, 6:26 AM
^^^^
Pcgamemods works fine for me, I can get to the download page just fine. :confused:
 jedi_5002
08-24-2004, 6:35 AM
Whenever I go to www.pcgamemods.com/6) it says, "The requested URL /6 was not found on this server." with big bold letters of "Not Found" above that.

If I go to www.pcgamemods.com) then I get, "Red Hat Enterprise Linux Test Page" on top, surrounded by red. Below that it says, "This page is used to test the proper operation...."

Going to the link provided in this thread, and I get the same error as the top statement I made.

:fett:
 RedHawke
08-24-2004, 6:43 AM
^^^^
Just used your 2 links Jedi and they also worked fine for me? :confused:

The mod I just posted there a couple of minutes ago has 2 downloads so that means it is working for somebody.

Could be your ISP. Or your browser, I'm using Mozilla/Firefox.

EDIT: Well it appears you two aren't alone as Achillies is also having trouble uploading to pcgamemods as well, yet I can still browse and download... wierd!!!

EDIT2: Right now the upload function doesn't work for me, but I can still browse... strange!!!
 Prime
08-24-2004, 10:47 AM
Very cool. I'll defintiely be using this. About time blasters were dangerous. :)
 SConrad
08-24-2004, 1:07 PM
Hello, Ghrey.

Nice mod, as always.

As for the 2da-entries, you realize that KISS is somewhat similar to weidu, right? You can append them just as you do with weidu.

Let me know if there's any complications. ;)

Cheers,
SC.
 Marius_Storm
08-24-2004, 2:39 PM
I really like this mod, to bad i cant download it yet.
Page: 1 of 1