Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Get a handle on things [Saber Hilts]

Page: 1 of 1
 Bobo
08-19-2004, 8:47 PM
is there a way to have multiple hilt choices for lightsabers? like juhani will have her custom saber, basilia hers, my own and jolee his own (and any speical jedi hehe)

i ask this because the sabers are all the same, these shiny tubes. i downloaded the new hilt by Colja and it is a fine hilt, just if i could have much more of a variety

oooo Movie Lightsabers would be awsome, on LucasFiles the hilt pack for Jedi Academy, might be able to convert them?

To have Obi-wan's hilt in Kotor would rock

and if theres a way to have The Malak 1 handed saber style for ur char, that would make awsome combinations.

these are sweet ideas....

of course id do them if i knew about all this stuff, but i look at how people are converting models and such and a wide Hilt Variety would make the game more interesting hehe

Edit: Spelling Error hehe
 T7nowhere
08-19-2004, 9:06 PM
Short answer, Not yet.

To be able to do what many of us have wanted to do for many months now we would need to be able to edit animations :rolleyes: (we can't yet)

ps. the search function is your friend.
 Achilles
08-19-2004, 9:24 PM
Jules Windu (http://es.geocities.com/d_abellan/) and Colja (http://www.pcgamemods.com/5553/) have both created some very cool saber reskins. You may want to try these out.

:D
 Bobo
08-19-2004, 9:26 PM
is there a way to change the color of the jules windu one?
 Achilles
08-19-2004, 9:36 PM
Originally posted by Master Bobo
is there a way to change the color of the jules windu one?

Yeah, it's called Photoshop :D

PS: Your going to need his permission too :)
 Bobo
08-19-2004, 9:41 PM
yeah, isnt that only if i want to release it tho?

::hopes theres no copyright law if you secretly change something for you only::

:ewok: eh? oh im innocent as an ewok heh
 Achilles
08-19-2004, 9:45 PM
yeah, isnt that only if i want to release it tho?
True enough. Just watch out for screen shots :)

I made a mod and when I took a screen shot to post in forum, I accidentally used someone else's skin for that item. Of course the creator of the skin mistakenly thought that I was releasing a mod with his skin...without his permission :D Luckily we got it all straightened out, but I felt like a heel.
 Bobo
08-19-2004, 9:53 PM
noticed how someone changed feat animations, ok heres a question, able to copy Malak's animations, and swap em with the Player's saber animations? just his fencing style just makes me giddy
 Darth333
08-19-2004, 10:22 PM
The model has to have the animations, which is not the case. I made a mod (not available for download) in which I tired to make Malak bow and he wouldn't because the model doesn't have those animations.
 Shermed'Out
08-19-2004, 11:51 PM
noticed how someone changed feat animations, ok heres a question, able to copy Malak's animations, and swap em with the Player's saber animations? just his fencing style just makes me giddy

I did something similiar.. I imported Malaks animations to the darkjedi model, in gmax it looked fine, everything worked, but when I exported the model and then compiled it with mdl-lops and copied it to override as I should, for some reason the model just wouldnt show his animations.. It was still the normal animations, I have no idea why but I would guess it has something to do with the fact that mdl-lops uses the original .mdx file to compile an ascii model to a binary one.. :(
 Darth333
08-20-2004, 12:13 PM
There are still limitations as to what you can do with MDLops. Check this thread (latest update - link included in the guide for the newbie): http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=1589838#post1589838)

Limitations are also explained in the MDLops readme.
 Shermed'Out
08-20-2004, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Darth333
There are still limitations as to what you can do with MDLops. Check this thread (latest update - link included in the guide for the newbie): http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=1589838#post1589838)

Limitations are also explained in the MDLops readme.

I know it says that you couldnt, but never mind that, best to try anyways because you never know if you can get it to work..
 Bobo
08-20-2004, 5:48 PM
there is a hilt pack on LucasFiles.com for JA, and i saw how bneezy (that right? lol) converted JA weapons into Kotor, now could you possibly convert the hilts from the mod pack into kotor and have them as a saber? cause id love to have obi wan's hilt
 Rogue9dlb
08-20-2004, 5:52 PM
As others have said, the lightsabers need animations and they haven't been able to mess with those.
 Bobo
08-20-2004, 5:57 PM
whats the animation? the blade poppin up? :rolleyes:

hmm, how come you can mod guns then?
 Achilles
08-20-2004, 6:10 PM
whats the animation? the blade poppin up? :rolleyes:

hmm, how come you can mod guns then?

Guns don't have moving parts. Neither do most melee weapons.
 Bobo
08-20-2004, 6:14 PM
hmmmm

then is it possible, say, that you make the obi hilt, then there wouldnt be the detailed going slowly up and down of the blade, just, poof suddenly appear

is that possible?
 Achilles
08-20-2004, 6:18 PM
hmmmm

then is it possible, say, that you make the obi hilt, then there wouldnt be the detailed going slowly up and down of the blade, just, poof suddenly appear

is that possible?
If you just want Obi-Wan's hilt then make a new skin like Jules Windu and Colja.

Again, lightsabers require animations and they have not been cracked yet. Not sure how else I can convey that for you :)
 Bobo
08-20-2004, 6:18 PM
btw has anyone retextured revan to look like vader? i might try myself to do so, but im bad at that hehe

might look cool with ROTS mod, which is great btw good work

Malak would actually do better, since well, hes kinda like vader

ill look into that but its something else for another day hehe
 Achilles
08-20-2004, 6:20 PM
btw has anyone retextured revan to look like vader? i might try myself to do so, but im bad at that hehe

might look cool with ROTS mod, which is great btw good work

Malak would actually do better, since well, hes kinda like vader

ill look into that but its something else for another day hehe

Yes. Do a forum search for Vader and you should be able to find the threads.
 Bobo
08-20-2004, 6:22 PM
ok since its impossible as u say (i finally understand, lol) i might try that, maybe make a skin for almost every saber and post em :D then i need to learn on how to make those speical kind like the jules, how its its own saber and all.

what detail that would be tooken from obi's hilt would be the little ball at the end, how sad
 Bobo
08-20-2004, 6:33 PM
has there been a succsessful vader helmet done? i saw about the one that got canceled cause of high poly count, but theres gotta be a real low quality mask in there. a model can be sucky but a texture can make it look like it was real
 Bobo
08-20-2004, 6:39 PM
for vader you could take Orsan's Boba Fett Helmet, warp it to have a triangular mouth, and somewhat of a bucket lol around the head, then texture it for all the details and u got vader. one way to do it
 Bobo
08-20-2004, 6:58 PM
Originally posted by dh-vug
Bastila force-jumped while being toasted

http://img8.imageshack.us/my.php?loc=img8&image=jumpflame.jpg)

Swords of fire & ice

http://img8.imageshack.us/my.php?loc=img8&image=icefireswords.jpg)

someone did this. makes me wonder. is a new hilt in our future? lol

Edit: the bottom link is what im tryin to show, lol
 Bobo
08-20-2004, 8:05 PM
is there a way to make malak's lightsaber more powerful?

its graphics are cool but its stats really suck

is there a mod or something i can do?
 Achilles
08-20-2004, 8:17 PM
is there a way to make malak's lightsaber more powerful?

its graphics are cool but its stats really suck

is there a mod or something i can do?

Yes, you can look at any of the many tutorials that explain how to edit stats.

Please, for your own sake, start using the edit button and the search feature before the moderators get involved.

This thread alone violates just about every forum rule.
 Bobo
08-20-2004, 8:42 PM
er rofl sorry. hmm example number one: to see bad example of a thread, look at anything posted by Master bobo

theres a rule lol

lol im new to the thread and stuff. sowwy
 Darth333
08-21-2004, 12:51 AM
Before going any further Master Bobo, you should definitely do some reading:

1- Forums rules and etiquette (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=127725)

2- Guide for the Newnie (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=129789)

3. Do you want to mod SW-KOtor? Then start here (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=124284) (you should find all the tutorials you need here.)

Once you have read a tutorial and reasonably tried to do what you want but can't figure out something, use the search function. If you don't find anything, then post specific questions .

FInally, as Achillies said, instead of making multiple posts, use the edit function to add/remove things from your posts.
 shosey
08-21-2004, 1:51 AM
where did the swords of fire and ice come from, I couldn't find them with search.
 Jackel
08-21-2004, 2:26 AM
Originally posted by shosey
where did the swords of fire and ice come from, I couldn't find them with search.
I belive they were photoshopped glows over normal blades after the screenshot was taken.
 90SK
08-21-2004, 5:01 AM
I understand there is a way to port things from JA to KotOR, and I myself am pretty sure its not illegal, though I hav'nt done my reading;) . This (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=133712) guy seems to have figured it out.
 shosey
08-21-2004, 9:47 PM
I belive they were photoshopped glows over normal blades after the screenshot was taken.

Too bad, this would be cool!
 jedi_5002
08-22-2004, 4:31 AM
I know you can't make models with animations, or extract models with animations, and then reimport them.

There is a high degree of probablity that this is horribly misinformed, and as such, will not work....

Couldn't you extract a saber model, then change the hilt to look more like a sword, and then import it back into the game. The blade would always be out, but it would look something like the second image (here is the one I mean (http://img8.imageshack.us/my.php?loc=img8&image=icefireswords.jpg)).

The saber has 4 textures arrayed like the directions of a compass (when looking from the top). You could have the two textures, running from 'NW <-> SE' and 'NE <-> SW' be slightly bigger and/or different than the ones running from 'N <-> S' and 'E <-> W'. This might make the handles glow (like in the first link I have). You could also texture the related part of the handles in a certain way to achieve the same results (I don't know, because I am not very (or really, at all) skilled in texturing), or use a combination.*

*(I haven't tried something like this specifically (I gave different names for the four instances in the mdl file (they had to be the same name length or KotOR would crash (here is a screenshot (http://img62.imageshack.us/my.php?loc=img62&image=RainbowSaber.jpg))))

As a (sort of) seperate question; Is the saber blur (what happens when you flourish it) part of the animations, or seperate?

:fett:
 RedHawke
08-22-2004, 5:23 AM
Originally posted by jedi_5002
There is a high degree of probablity that this is horribly misinformed, and as such, will not work....

Couldn't you extract a saber model, then change the hilt to look more like a sword, and then import it back into the game. The blade would always be out, but it would look something like the second image (here is the one I mean (http://img8.imageshack.us/my.php?loc=img8&image=icefireswords.jpg)).

Unfortunately for everyone this is just a retouched PS image someone did for the screenshots for the sake of screenshots thread.

Though you could probably extract a vibroblade model and try it that way, but with lightsabers all ready in the game, I don't see much point in that one. Just my opinion... I could be wrong! :D
 Colma Adawin
08-22-2004, 5:51 AM
Originally posted by RedHawke
Unfortunately for everyone this is just a retouched PS image someone did for the screenshots for the sake of screenshots thread.

Though you could probably extract a vibroblade model and try it that way, but with lightsabers all ready in the game, I don't see much point in that one. Just my opinion... I could be wrong! :D

this weapon, i know its a PS mess around, but i've never seen those hilts (handles) it just seem so tempting, oh well......

actually, if you could, well, change the texture of the blade of a viroblade, then add Lightsabre stats, you could have your swords, its just an idea, i would do it, but im still Learning the traits. what do you ppl think?

MattCole
 RedHawke
08-22-2004, 6:02 AM
Originally posted by MattColejk

this weapon, i know its a PS mess around, but i've never seen those hilts (handles) it just seem so tempting, oh well......

The hilts are standard longsword hilts, they have been touched up in the pic as well I believe! :D
 jedi_5002
08-22-2004, 6:24 AM
The reason I used the Lightsaber as the example is because it is the only one I have fooled around with. I know what each instance of the texture in the mdl file does (hence the screenshot I did for the "screenshots for the sake of screenshots" thread).

It seems to me that you might have less work to do if you used the lightsaber model. Just add the hilt (the across part) to the model somehow, re-import it, and voila, A particle sword (it is like the lightsaber, but it won't be able to be turned off, hence 'particle sword'). You don't have to add properties of the lightsaber, just use the lightsaber template in the baseitems.2da file. It would be really cool.

:fett:

OT: Battle Droid you are now. Sith Probe, no longer, you are. :emodanc:
Enough OT from me.
 shosey
08-22-2004, 12:14 PM
I agree, I think glowing sword would be really cool. No need for animations with these - just good old fasion glowing shineyness :)
 Bobo
08-22-2004, 1:16 PM
im working on a new saber for my downloads hehe im using T7nowhere's tutorial. wish me luck guys. first lightsaber! w00t
 Mono_Giganto
08-22-2004, 1:45 PM
Originally posted by RedHawke
The hilts are standard longsword hilts, they have been touched up in the pic as well I believe! :D

Actually, that isn't the standard hilt, it's the skin used for the Silver Lined Sword in the Ajunta Pall quest, I made a few swords using that texture cause it looks so much cooler than the longsword one!
 Bobo
08-22-2004, 2:54 PM
im having some trouble in this process, i must open upcrystals.2da and i dont know what to use, i downloaded the only 2da opener in the tools and programs list, but it was in some language, i dunno which. any help with this would be wonderful. im having fun modding to make you happy lol

Edit: Thanks Darth333, im going to refer to this thread for any trouble i run into :)
 Darth333
08-22-2004, 2:56 PM
Use Kotor tool: the is a 2da editor included. (check the Guide for the Newbie: it has a link to a tutorial made by t7 on how to use Kotor tool.
 RedHawke
08-23-2004, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by Mono_Giganto
Actually, that isn't the standard hilt, it's the skin used for the Silver Lined Sword in the Ajunta Pall quest, I made a few swords using that texture cause it looks so much cooler than the longsword one!

OOOPS!!! Mono you are right! :D

Long ago I changed all of my Longsword .uti models to that one, for that exact same reason. I forgot! :roleyess:
 svцsh
08-23-2004, 12:52 AM
The sabers will import with the flourish animation attached and intact but at this time there is no way to get the saber back in game. The blade extending animation is just not there. We would also have to find away to detach the animation for the default saber hilt(s) and replace it with a custom hilt.

I have been toying with a few things..

svцsh
 Bobo
08-23-2004, 5:41 PM
ok this seems weird on editing the handle on how its streched out by the extremes. hard to edit.

is there a guide somewhere that points out what parts on the TGA file what it looks like ingame?

OT: i dont want to spam the forums so i add it here. is there a way to change Malak's appearance to Revan and so Revan was still alive and you were malak? now that would be fun!
 Mono_Giganto
08-23-2004, 5:43 PM
Yes, this would be possible, however, only the models would be changed, The old Malak (Revan now) will still call you Revan, and everyone will call him Malak. All you have to do is switch their appearance.2da lines.
 Bobo
08-23-2004, 5:47 PM
ah then you have to be creative. i aways wanted to play the game as Jedi Malak, but it was stupid facing yourself. changing malaks appearnce to revan would help that. Maybe in this mod Revan was malak? and Malak was revan! that fixes up the names, only exploit there would be the part where revan takes his mask off and its ur face and blah blah blah. but this is a very itneresting idea. OT lol

Edit: just cause i dont want to waste space, the last thing i wanna do is get banned!

ok how would i go about Editing the Appearance.2da file chaning malak? is it on the tutorial thingie?
Page: 1 of 1